Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cycling

Started by hawgrunner, May 16, 2013, 02:52:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

McKdaddy

Got in a ride today, but with a group of guys faster/stronger than I....wore me out. And since a couple of our boys had t-ball practice in the middle of the day, we headed out at 7am. Not the best time to enjoy today's weather.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Hogsmo Kramer

Got out and got a ride in myself on the trails today.

Was muddy as crap as to be expected but still a ton of fun and nice to get a ride in finally after all the bad weather.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Hogsmo Kramer

Wet and wild one today.

hawgrunner

McKdaddy

I trust rides were made today. Great weather.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 28, 2015, 05:16:29 pm
I trust rides were made today. Great weather.

I'm sick as a dog with sinus infection and chest cold. 

Sucks because the weather was magnificent today.  :'(

McKdaddy

Had to ride this am before church or not ride at all today. The wind was a beast.

McKdaddy

Wind - 1, McK - 0

Nasty out there today.

hawgrunner

Headwind can be a bear, but makes for good workout though.

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on April 04, 2015, 12:12:37 pm
Headwind can be a bear, but makes for good workout though.

Agreed, it was a strong workout. I was hoping for more of a base-building ride but I underestimated the wind's strength.

hawgrunner

Here is a pic from Sunday's ride....

Hogsmo Kramer

McKdaddy

I'd like to Scott, but the wife has reserved my time for a charitable event of some sort.

warriorlion

Check out www.doubledamtour.com for one of the most scenic 100K rides in this part of the country.  Bull shoals dam, historic Cotter bridge, the White and north fork rivers, the Wolff house, Norfork dam, and the Norfork fish hatchery all on bike while fully supported.  18 mile, 40 mile, or 100 K options. October 3, 2015 Mtn. Home Arkansas. Join us for a great ride.

hawgrunner

Quote from: warriorlion on April 14, 2015, 10:18:03 pm
Check out www.doubledamtour.com for one of the most scenic 100K rides in this part of the country.  Bull shoals dam, historic Cotter bridge, the White and north fork rivers, the Wolff house, Norfork dam, and the Norfork fish hatchery all on bike while fully supported.  18 mile, 40 mile, or 100 K options. October 3, 2015 Mtn. Home Arkansas. Join us for a great ride.

That looks like a great ride, sure with I lived there.

Hogsmo Kramer

Figured I'd post another pic of one of my rides at Mt. Kessler in Fayetteville.

If you've never been there it's great hiking and biking trails with beautiful overlooks.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on April 15, 2015, 09:27:28 am
Figured I'd post another pic of one of my rides at Mt. Kessler in Fayetteville.

If you've never been there it's great hiking and biking trails with beautiful overlooks.

Very nice.

warriorlion

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 15, 2015, 07:56:38 am
Looking at the map, it's not a circular route? The starting line and finish line aren't in the same place. So will shuttles take riders back to the start?
Yes we are going to shuttle back to the start.  No good route back and 100 K will be plenty challenge for most with the hills.

McKdaddy

Anyone coming to Tulsa to ride/watch Tulsa Tough (TT)?  Last year was my first to watch the crit races (Friday night through the streets of downtown Tulsa, same for Saturday but a different race route in downtown, and Sunday through a midtown neighborhood) and it was a good time.  If you want to come over, my gym will have a couple of tents set-up that we can hangout under the shade and share some brews.

As a new rider, I participated last year for the 1st time in the "short" fondo on Saturday, which was excellently ran and organized.  Worth your time.  Faldon had a friend come over from J'boro to ride in it (I think he and his wife rode Saturday and Sunday).

TT offers 3 fondos each on Saturday and Sunday, a short, medium, and long ride.  The Saturday offerings are 40-, 70, and 110-miles.  Sunday offers 39- 66- and 108-miles.

If anyone is interested, check out Tulsa Tough here .....
http://www.tulsatough.com/site/sections/1

This year I'll be riding Saturday and Sunday, but haven't determined yet which length of routes.  I'd prefer to ride the medium fondo on Saturday and the short fondo on Sunday, but my daughter has a dance recital early Saturday afternoon, which may lead me to do the opposite (short on Saturday and medium on Sunday).

Let me know if interested.  My average mph will be 15.5-16.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 22, 2015, 11:53:09 am
How close is your gym's tent to the infamous Crybaby Hill party?

Scott, our cycling coordinator for the gym says it will be set-up same place as last year, "on crybaby hill", but I cannot confirm b/c last year I was only able to make it out Friday night for the crits.  Crybaby hill is on Sunday, which I could have attended except I had to watch the kids, and taking my kids to the party on crybaby hill would have gotten me the couch via the wife.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 22, 2015, 03:16:29 pm
A tent on Crybaby Hill!?! Well, I think I might just see you up there on that Sunday.

I talked to our cycling coordinator today....our tent this year will not be on crybaby hill in order to be a bit more "family friendly."  We'll be set-up on the course, as we will be for Friday and Saturday crits, but just not on the infamous hill itself.

For anyone interested, the Tulsa Tough fondos on Saturday and Sunday are well-organized and worth your time if you enjoy traveling to regional rides.

McKdaddy

I enjoy trying out a couple of regional events, like True Grit in Ft Smith last year (thanks, Scott), Tour de Tulsa, and Tulsa Tough (yeah, I live in Tulsa, but 2014 was my first year to ride).  This year I'm adding the Dam Jam (a hilly and pretty ride northeast of T-town), Hotter 'N Hell, and the Hilly Hundred in Indiana.

The Hilly may be a bit much for me....

http://www.hillyhundred.org  (click on "The Hills" on the left side). 

It consists of short, but steep hills.  I took my bike to my LBS to have a bailout gear added, taking my rear cass from 11-28 to 12-30.  Watching some online videos of the event, there is little shame in having to walk up a couple of the hills.

Hogsmo Kramer

May 31, 2015, 10:41:35 pm #172 Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:55:28 pm by Hogsmo Kramer
So I know most of you guys are more into road cycling but I just recently started a mountain biking blog and Facebook page. As the resident mtb'er in this thread I thought I'd post the link if anyone is interested.

http://stokedspoke.com

Anyway it's got gear reviews, trail info, helmet cam videos, etc. It's mainly based in NW Arkansas but I'll eventually put some other locations on there too as I travel and ride other venues.

So if you're bored and got time check it out and leave comments, feedback, or whatever and check out the Facebook page and YouTube channel too in the links at the bottom of the homepage.

Thanks and WPS!

McKdaddy

Good-looking site, HC.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 01, 2015, 09:45:44 am
Good-looking site, HC.

Thanks man for checking it out I really appreciate it.

Also if any of you guys ever wanna hit the trails just hit me up here, the blog, or Facebook page.

I try to ride at least twice a week and usually up around the Bentonville/ Bella Vista area, but also Rogers and Fayetteville too and especially Mt. Kessler.

Hogsmo Kramer

June 01, 2015, 11:30:29 am #175 Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 12:00:27 pm by Hogsmo Kramer
Pic from my ride out at Blowing Springs yesterday in Bella Vista.

Was crazy slippery.

NEA_HogFan

Hey guys I'm wanting to get into cycling to add some cardio into my workout routine. Right now I just lift weights and I absolutely hate running as I have big flat feet lol. I need suggestions for some inexpensive beginners bikes. I have no clue where to start. Thanks for any help.

hawgrunner

Nice day on the coast... got 52 miles in!

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on June 06, 2015, 12:25:09 pm
Nice day on the coast... got 52 miles in!

Ugh, 56 humid, hot miles this morning. My body isn't used to this "heat" yet, following such a long cool, wet spring. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was forgetting something after rolling-out this morning. Later I realized today was my first ride in 2015 where I didn't start-out w/ something covering my arms for warmth.

Always jealous of your cycling locale.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 06, 2015, 01:43:22 pm
Ugh, 56 humid, hot miles this morning. My body isn't used to this "heat" yet, following such a long cool, wet spring. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was forgetting something after rolling-out this morning. Later I realized today was my first ride in 2015 where I didn't start-out w/ something covering my arms for warmth.

Always jealous of your cycling locale.

Here is a shot from this mornings ride. Temp was still in the upper 50's will a light breeze.

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on June 07, 2015, 01:02:22 am
Here is a shot from this mornings ride. Temp was still in the upper 50's will a light breeze.

Bastage, +1

HawgPilot

I've been riding a mountain bike with my son for the past year. I just went and purchased a specialized Allez elite road bike and omg!!  I had no idea that it could be so much fun and challenging at the same time.  I am training for my first sprint Tri July 4th in Russellville.  I will be 41 on the 18th of this month but very excited about cycling going forward!

McKdaddy

Quote from: HawgPilot on June 07, 2015, 10:36:18 pm
I've been riding a mountain bike with my son for the past year. I just went and purchased a specialized Allez elite road bike and omg!!  I had no idea that it could be so much fun and challenging at the same time.  I am training for my first sprint Tri July 4th in Russellville.  I will be 41 on the 18th of this month but very excited about cycling going forward!

+1

McKdaddy

I've not ridden more than 64 miles in a day or more than 90 miles in consecutive days.  Tomorrow and Sunday I've got 70 & 66 miles (the "medio" fondos) @ Tulsa Tough on the docket.  Real concerned about how much my butt will be hurting prior to Sunday's ride.  The temps the next 2 days are expected to top-out around 86-89, nice!  Rain chances are about 60%, but rain doesn't bother me, especially at my grandma pace.

Hogsmo Kramer

Thought of all my roadie friends in this thread when I saw this and figured ya'll might enjoy it.

http://m.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Make-Your-Own-Shortcut,29088/970biking,307

DeltaBoy

Hope to get my bike back on the road next week.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgrunner

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=34323947

he's still going.....

http://www.ironcowboy.co/blog/

Day 13 Splits

Swim: 1:19:09

Bike: 6:34:05

Run: 5:27:07

Total: 14:20:21

McKdaddy

Only a bit. The guy he was going against got hit by a drunk moped driver and he has to miss time for recovery, but that was some time ago.

McKdaddy

Just saw this for those that are interested in this competition that Scott referenced....

http://ultracycling.com/sections/records/data/hamr/

McKdaddy

HawgPilot

i'm a noob on cycling so Ive been riding out near the new airport in Conway.  I took my first group ride last night to Plummerville and back. It was awesome but I had my first crash on mile 27 just about a mile short of the end of the ride...  I was fist pumping another guy for helping me and boom....im over on my hip skidding down the street!

I have some road rash but nothing broken!!

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

a few shots from yesterdays ride...

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: HawgPilot on June 25, 2015, 11:10:48 am
i'm a noob on cycling so Ive been riding out near the new airport in Conway.  I took my first group ride last night to Plummerville and back. It was awesome but I had my first crash on mile 27 just about a mile short of the end of the ride...  I was fist pumping another guy for helping me and boom....im over on my hip skidding down the street!

I have some road rash but nothing broken!!
definitely one of the reasons I can't do it, my equilibrium is terrible, so when checking over my shoulder, I tend to crash.  That, and I just don't trust going in the same direction as traffic. I like to be able to see when I need to hit the dirt/grass for some ignorant driver.

PP

hawgrunner

Taking short vacation and coming back Home to NWA... bring the bike too! Going to get some rides in.  ;D

hawgrunner

Great ride on the Razorback Greenway this morning!

McKdaddy

Got out early today. The temps were reasonable, with relatively low humidity and a decently cool breeze....for the first hour, ha. Thankfully we finished our route by 10:30 to avoid the bulk of today's heat.