Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cycling

Started by hawgrunner, May 16, 2013, 02:52:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

McKdaddy

Today was a tough ride. My 5th of 50+ miles, but the toughest one. I had trouble staying on the wheels of everyone, and we weren't going THAT fast.

A rider w/ us could tell I was dragging, and asked me about my breakfast and in-ride nutrition. However, I didn't deviate from what I normally do pre- and in-ride. For some reason I didn't have it today. A real trying day.

Sometimes it happens.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

hawgrunner

But you did it no less.

McKdaddy

hawgrunner

Aafter a week to sea, got back yesterday and put in a short easy 20 miles today.

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

hawgrunner

warriorlion

Have kept up with the cycling thread for a while though I would share some pics from our latest vacation on the C an O canal and Great allegory passage.  Great family time on the bike minus a little rain.

[attachment deleted by admin]

McKdaddy

I'd like to hear more about this adventure, warrior.

warriorlion

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 30, 2014, 03:55:30 pm
I'd like to hear more about this adventure, warrior.
The C an O runs from Cumberland Maryland to d.c., gap as it's called Cumberland to Pittsburg.  We rode the c an o a few years ago from Hancock to d.c. An biked around and saw the sights for 3-4 days.  The c an o have primitive camp sites every 5 miles or so-we carried all our stuff an rode completely unsupported.  You ride next to the Potomac for most of the ride on the tow path they built for the canal.  It isn't as groomed as the gap as you could tell from the mud on my back.

This year we started at Cumberland an rode to the paw paw tunnel you see in the picture.  Then Cumberland west.  We did out an backs this year an moved every few days from commercial camp sites.  Not as much to see on gap but really nice trail.
http://bikewashington.org/canal/ has lots of info about the canal, http://www.atatrail.org about the gap.  Great way to see a lot of country most people never see on a bike path with no traffic.  Message me if you want more specifics an I will try to help you.
I have attached a couple other pics about the paw paw an some other tunnels on the gap.

McKdaddy

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a neat thing to do.

McKdaddy

We are going to South Fork, CO for a week in early August to escape the heat. I've been looking at some rides to do out there (roadie, not mtb), and came upon this nearby ride:

http://www.mybicycleroutes.com/xwolfpassinfopage.html

I have a valid concern of getting so tired I begin walking my bike up the pass, or worse yet, just fall over from lack of momentum and lungs at that altitude.  I'm not sure how to prep for such a ride in relatively flat Tulsa.  Even if I just blast the small hills around here, I cannot prep for the thin air.  I'm looking forward to it, yet also skeptical of how much I'll be able to enjoy it, ha.

My plan for the ride, at this moment, is to ride from South Fork to the top of the pass, then back down to South Fork.  I don't see being able to continue the ride down to Pagosa Springs (that would be the fun and easy part), then retrace my ride back up the pass (the article states the climb up the pass from Pagosa as being the tougher side) then coasting back down to South Fork.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

warriorlion

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 30, 2014, 05:32:02 pm
We are going to South Fork, CO for a week in early August to escape the heat. I've been looking at some rides to do out there (roadie, not mtb), and came upon this nearby ride:

I have a valid concern of getting so tired I begin walking my bike up the pass, or worse yet, just fall over from lack of momentum and lungs at that altitude.  I'm not sure how to prep for such a ride in relatively flat Tulsa.  Even if I just blast the small hills around here, I cannot prep for the thin air.  I'm looking forward to it, yet also skeptical of how much I'll be able to enjoy it, ha.

My plan for the ride, at this moment, is to ride from South Fork to the top of the pass, then back down to South Fork.  I don't see being able to continue the ride down to Pagosa Springs (that would be the fun and easy part), then retrace my ride back up the pass (the article states the climb up the pass from Pagosa as being the tougher side) then coasting back down to South Fork.

Never ridden over 9,000 feet in elevation and it was a killer.  I had a friend that did big ride out there a few years ago and he went out two weeks early.  If that isn't possible I don't know that you can prepare for it, but I bet you will be strong when you get home.

hawgrunner

Tour de France 2014 has started who's watching?

warriorlion

Quote from: hawgrunner on July 05, 2014, 03:57:30 pm
Tour de France 2014 has started who's watching?
Every day! Who you got as favorite? Contador is my top pick, an American sneaks into 2nd, and Froome a disappointing 3rd.

hawgpharmer

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 30, 2014, 05:32:02 pm

This last spring break I was out skiing at wolf creek. Saw couple dudes climbing the pass. Thought they were crazy but they were going slow and steady.

Have you thought about getting an elevation training mask?

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgpharmer on July 05, 2014, 10:28:42 pm
This last spring break I was out skiing at wolf creek. Saw couple dudes climbing the pass. Thought they were crazy but they were going slow and steady.

Have you thought about getting an elevation training mask?

I had not. Interesting thought.

hawgpharmer

Best I've done on the one I have is up to 6000ft!!!!

McKdaddy

Thankfully the climbing of Wolf Creek pass is less than 3000ft (I'll already be at > 7,000 when I leave out from our cabin), so it is doable, but that thin air.....

hawgrunner

July 06, 2014, 05:51:45 pm #124 Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:02:55 pm by hawgrunner
Quote from: hog.goblin on July 06, 2014, 04:04:14 pm
Better than a collar bone...

I was riding within 30 days as a non-pro. I don't know what kind of recovery time he needs for a shoulder issue like that.

hilljack

Is anyone planning on riding the Levi Lepheimer Grand Fondo this year?  I'm planning on riding it for the first time... doing the Medio course (60ish miles).  Would be cool to hook up with some fellow Hog riders.

Hogsmo Kramer

Not sure if any of you guys heard but a woman was tragically killed this past weekend, I believe Saturday, in Eureka Springs at the Fat Tire festival.

Evidently she crashed pretty hard I think while racing crosscountry and had to be medivacted out where she died later at the hospital.

Anyway truly truly tragic situation. From what I understand she was a proficient cyclist wearing a helmet and gear but just a freak accident.

Definitely served as a wake up call for me since I ride the trails pretty hard and am planning to start racing enduro next year once I get a bit better. As the father of two small children it just reminds me I'm out there to have fun and come home safely.

Everyone have fun out there but above all please be safe.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Hogsmo Kramer

July 21, 2014, 10:36:48 pm #127 Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:18:17 am by Hogsmo Kramer
Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 21, 2014, 09:31:07 pm
Joe at ArkansasOutside wrote about her.

http://www.arkansasoutside.com/we-lost-a-hero/

Very nice write up but just so so sad.

My heart breaks for her family and friends.

hawgrunner

Got a good ride in this weekend!

Distance:   66.00 mi
Time:   4:23:58
Avg Speed:   15.0 mph
Elevation Gain:   3,363 ft

hawgrunner

Got another 60+ miles in today... Here are some shots from my pit-stop at Oceanside Pier

hog.goblin

McKdaddy

We went to SW CO for 9 days recently. I only rode 3 times, which was disappointing, but it's not like we weren't busy doing other things.

I only tried to tackle Wolf Creek Pass once. I badly wanted to get to the top of the pass, then onward to the top of the continental divide, which sits shy of 10,900. Our cabin sat at approximately 8,000 feet. The first couple of miles of the ride from the cabin drops down to near 7,000 feet before going back up for the rest of the pass. I steadily and slowly climbed during the first 1/2 of the ride up the pass (after the relatively quick drop to 7,000, obviously), with the grades varying from 2-7%. I'd obviously work very hard during the 5-7% portions, and "rest" during the lesser grades, such as 2%. The first 1/2 up the pass was definitely doable, as the climb had those moments where I could utilize the lesser grades to recover. I maintained a very slow, steady pace, trying to keep my body relaxed and my thoughts calm.

However, the second 1/2 up the pass provides no rest. The grade is a steady 6-7%. It doesn't get above 7%, but I also knew it wouldn't get below 6%. Pure death. I stopped a couple of times for a minute or two, to try to get some life into my legs, which were quickly departing me. I'd have a couple of Fig Newtons (which I had been eating every couple of miles to this point), rub my legs down, and drain some water. Then take off again full of resolve.

Unfortunately, the legs weren't coming back. I'd been telling my wife that I'd make it to the top of the pass even if I had to walk my bike up there. However, I had no desire to walk the bike during this challenge, feeling like it would be cheating. So walking the bike, even for just a bit was out of the question. The steady 6-7% grade was tough on my legs and the thin air felt like it was mocking me. My mind and resolve was beginning to weaken, which frustrated me. On top of that, it had gotten awfully cold when the sun when down behind the mountain during this late afternoon ride. Too many negatives were rushing at me at once over that last 1/2 of the Pass.

I still had 2.5 miles and nearly 900 feet of climbing to go to arrive at the continental divide. This last 2.5 miles would be at 7%, with no break in grade. I had driven it a couple of times already during our vacation, and it was daunting to say the least for this flatlander. My jello legs were shaking so badly and I was riding so slowly that it felt like I might fall over at any moment. There was quite a bit of traffic on this narrow pass, but the lesser grades down the mountain made stopping to rest, then restarting doable. However, I realized that the steady 7% grade I had gotten to would make restarting very difficult, as the heavy traffic would not allow me to be able to restart perpendicular to the road (i.e. a way to make the road feel flat) for getting clipped in and going again. I knew if I stopped 1 last time, then I would be done.

At this point I'm having difficulty maintaining 6-7 mph. Finally my legs and mind gave in, and I stopped for the final time. I hung my head. I was both frustrated in not having gotten to the top and relieved in ending the pain. I was so mad at myself for not being able to go another 2.5 miles, yet I also had full realization of my current situation and ability to actually go those remaining 2.5 miles. I again contemplated walking the bike up some portion of the 2.5 miles, but realized that I'd likely have to walk the entire 2.5 miles as getting restarted on the 7% grade, amidst the traffic, would be awfully difficult.

I kept telling myself that I should be proud of how far I had gone, climbing about 3,000 feet (actually it was about 2,990 feet according to my Garmin, which had I known, I would have climbed 10 more darned feet, ha), but couldn't shake the frustration of not having made the summit. I had to patiently wait to cross to the other side of the road, in order to ride back down. My speed down the hill was relatively slow -- very slow in fact -- given the grade I was riding down. There were too many rocks along the narrow shoulder to open it up. When driving up-and-down the pass previously this week, I noticed cyclists stayed on the shoulder. Perhaps the heavily-traveled, narrow, somewhat curvy roadway up-and-down the pass made the cyclists feel more comfortable to remain on the narrow shoulder. I know I did. The few places for cars to pass one another along the pass certainly made the shoulder more attractive as I traveled up the pass. However, going down the pass on the shoulder felt harrowing, even at my slow speeds, due to how narrow the should was and the plethora of small rocks and pebbles that dotted the shoulder.

I was riding both brakes, hard, with every rock on the shoulder making my heart skip a beat. My legs were still shaking and mentally I felt beat from the ride up the pass, but I had to muster the focus on the way down the pass in order to not crash w/ all the small rocks on the shoulder. I would've liked to have opened it up and ride care-free down the mountain. Perhaps, in hindsight I should have "taken the lane". It certainly would have made for a fun ride back down to our cabin. But there was just too much traffic on the narrow pass to do that, imo.

In thinking about what I could have done differently to conquer the pass, I guess I could have left out early in the morning, instead of doing the ride in the afternoon. I had ridden one morning, earlier in the vacation, at about 6-ish a.m., and there was very little traffic on the road. Very peaceful without the traffic. So nice to hear the birds, the streams, and waterfalls without cars/rv's racing along the roads. But it was so freakin' cold and windy riding in the morning. I had brought some semi-cold weather gear, but it wasn't enough. After that ride I didn't want to ride that early in the morning again, even though I knew the lack of traffic would've made conquering the pass somewhat more doable. So I'm not sure what else I could have done other than to walk the bike up the remaining 2.5 miles of the pass. I'll try again next year. Guaranteed!

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on August 28, 2014, 09:48:04 am
I went to GPP Fitness in Rogers yesterday and had a Retul bike fit done.

It. Was. Amazing.

When I bought my road bike, I got the "stand over it, looks good, might need to put on a longer stem and raise the seat" fitting from a local shop. I've been riding a M/L Giant for five years now, trusting the local guy to have put me on the right size bike.

Turns out, I need an XL/XXL. And pedal spacers. And shims under my cleats to level out my points of contact and increase power transfer.

Kevin, the shop owner, was meticulous. I thought I was comfortable on my bike on long rides. Turns out, I wasn't as comfortable as I should be with the right geometry.

I can't recommend this enough.

https://www.retul.com

Amen. A "pro fitting" is well worth the money and time. I told Scott this on our True Grit ride, and will share again here -- I used to have back pain riding the bike (I have minor back pain on a daily basis, have for years) and never had a pro-fitting. My regular back pain was worse on the bike than in other areas of daily life, so I didn't have a lot of fun riding. But when I upgraded my ride in March '14, it was highly recommended that I get a proper fitting. I did, and can attest to not having back pain any longer while riding. I still have back pain during other aspect of daily life, but the bike feels good. Like Scott said, all kinds of cleat adjustments were made, not to mention changes to the stem, the angle of the handlebars and hoods, the saddle, etc. It was a comprehensive 2.5 hours.

warriorlion

We are hosting the 4th annual bike the bull bike ride starting in mtn home, across bull shoals dam, to Flippin, cotter an back to mtn home. Entry is 20 bucks or a new pair of shoes for a child. Pm me if interested and I will email you a flyer. Easy 16 mile or a pretty challenging 40.

McKdaddy

Quote from: warriorlion on September 14, 2014, 09:52:38 pm
We are hosting the 4th annual bike the bull bike ride starting in mtn home, across bull shoals dam, to Flippin, cotter an back to mtn home. Entry is 20 bucks or a new pair of shoes for a child. Pm me if interested and I will email you a flyer. Easy 16 mile or a pretty challenging 40.

Sounds like fun, Warrior. Wish I could.

hawgrunner

Pictures from today's ride...

McKdaddy

#DeservedHumbleBrag

Not quite my view in Tulsa. That's solid, HR.

McKdaddy

Felt so good to go for a spin today....first good Saturday in a few moons.

Hogsmo Kramer

I know most you guys are road cyclists but just gotta say I'm loving NW Arkansas for mountain biking.

Been here round 7 months and it's amazing, I'm full on addicted and can't get enough.

Hogsmo Kramer

My majestic steed after a muddy one out at Mt. Kessler last week.

McKdaddy

Hogsmo Kramer

McKdaddy

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 18, 2015, 07:47:00 pm
Why'd ya quit? Injury?

Yes, that and I've become more of a p---- each subsequent injury and as I've gotten older, lol.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 18, 2015, 10:10:52 pm
Yes, that and I've become more of a p---- each subsequent injury and as I've gotten older, lol.

Lol gotcha.

I'm just bout to turn 35 so still heal ok I guess and so I still push it, much to my wife's dismay of course.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 19, 2015, 03:07:53 pm
Lol gotcha.

I'm just bout to turn 35 so still heal ok I guess and so I still push it, much to my wife's dismay of course.

Of course, ha!

McKdaddy

I'm at a "spring training camp" this weekend with a bike club in Tulsa. We are staying at Grand Lake and riding around that area. This afternoon was a tough ride for a still-newbie like me, with the cold and rain. We ride at 8am tomorrow and again at 2pm. Then we finish up w/ an 8am ride on Sunday.

hawgrunner

Looking forward to ride again soon some day but my bulged disc still has me side lined.

McKdaddy

Looking forward to getting in some miles this weekend, giggity!

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 06, 2015, 09:02:49 am
Looking forward to getting in some miles this weekend, giggity!

Man me too, this snow has been cramping my style.