Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cycling

Started by hawgrunner, May 16, 2013, 02:52:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgrunner

Any distance cyclist around? I'm heading out on a 70 mile ride this Friday, this is another long ride as I'm working my way up to a Century.

hog.goblin

These days when I think long distance ride I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do 10 or 12 miles.

Michaelt

haven't been on my bike in a long time...need to though. You riding out in Cali?
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Michaelt on May 16, 2013, 04:08:30 pm
haven't been on my bike in a long time...need to though. You riding out in Cali?

Yep, weather is really nice this time of the year for long rides. 

hawgrunner

No event here, just a goal I've set.

hawgrunner

Hit the next level today with a 90 mile ride done.

hawgrunner

PR today, 113 miles! Holy cow that was a lot of pedaling.  8)

hawgrunner

Quote from: ScottFaldon on June 29, 2013, 12:32:10 am
Rock, how do you self-support on epics like that? Do you plot out quickie marts or fast food joints where you can fill up your bottles?

We had friends driving SAG wagons and carrying coolers. I'm wanting to try a solo before football season starts, but need to map my route pretty carefully - I think - so I can refuel.

For me it wasn't that hard due to here in San Diego their are cyclist riding and stores all over the place, as well tt's hard not to have a road that doesn't have a bike lane. 85% of this ride was along the coast "HWY 101" so I had the Pacific Ocean as my view and towns with it.  The longest I had to go without access to some kind of food or water is when I went the Camp Pendleton ( BTW there you have to watch out for the Tank crossings :) )

But I did plan out my route, you do this with on-line sites like Mapmyride, Strava and/or Garmin. My training rides up to that point I know and learned what my body needs and when. So for the 113 ride I started with two bottles of fluid or sport drink and one water, I had to stop twice and buy refills. For food... I ate before I left and then took on the road with me 2 Powerbars, 2 Cliff Bars, and 2 GU's. So about every 25 to 35 miles I had a Powerbar or Cliff Bar. Then had the GU's as a backup for if I really was feeling then the need for something.

ATU HOG

Must be awesome riding a bike around the Pacific Coast.  Sounds pretty amazing

hog.goblin

Quote from: rock642 on June 29, 2013, 11:24:00 am
as well tt's hard not to have a road that doesn't have a bike lane.

Aka the "hit and run lane" in Arkansas

Lando Calrissian

There are things in this world that are not for me.  Cycling is one of them.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

hawgrunner

Quote from: ATU HOG on June 30, 2013, 12:25:52 pm
Must be awesome riding a bike around the Pacific Coast.  Sounds pretty amazing

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 30, 2013, 10:00:54 pm
Aka the "hit and run lane" in Arkansas

Too funny!

hog.goblin

Picked up a Giant Axact 9W computer for bike today.  iPhone apps just not giving consistent results.

hawgrunner

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 01, 2013, 05:43:16 pm
Picked up a Giant Axact 9W computer for bike today.  iPhone apps just not giving consistent results.

Try the mapmyride app.

clutch

I've been looking into getting a bike. I've always used spin as a big chunk of my cardio because I get bored running and had a top of the line spin bike given to me. So I put that joker right in front of my TV and hop on it when I wake up in the morning and when I get home from the gym in the evening. However, I've been wanting a real bike lately to get out and do some riding. Don't really have any good roads to ride in my area so I'm not looking for a strictly road bike. I've been looking into the hybrid type bikes that are good for road and trail. I really don't have any trails either, but there is a lot of hardpan dirt field roads that I figured I could ride.

hog.goblin

Was a beautiful day in NWA to ride 21 miles.  Found a way to the bike trails in Fayetteville biking from my house with very little time on the roads.

hawgrunner

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 06, 2013, 06:57:57 pm
Was a beautiful day in NWA to ride 21 miles.  Found a way to the bike trails in Fayetteville biking from my house with very little time on the roads.

That's a good thing. huh!

McKdaddy

I've been getting into road-riding recently. My gym has rides a couple of times a week, and I make time for the Saturday ride, with 3 choices available: 70-75 miler, 50 miler, and the "social ride" of 25 miles.

The social ride has been my speed for the only bike I own, a 2005 Trek mtn bike, ugh. I try not to slow the group down, pedaling nearly as hard as I can to keep up w/ them. Needless to say this gives me a great workout and I'm wiped out after working that hard for 25 miles. But it is discouraging seeing them not break a sweat, while I foolishly toil away on the knobbies.

A buddy suggested I have a 2nd set of tires for the road, but I haven't yet made it a priority to do so.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

I've not tried the Map My Ride app, but have been really happy w/ the Cyclemeter app.

hawgrunner

Now that I got my 50K run under my belt time to get a little more riding in.  :)

Delicious~Dreams

I love riding!   Mapmyrun/ride app does great.   I like it because I track my swimming etc too.

I don't ride far yet but I ride on different days to build leg strength. Plus, I'm loving trail runs.

Murr

I rode 9-10 miles last week with my first ride on the new bike.  I am trying to get used to the clip on shoes/pedals, need to tighten my handle bars, but besides the lack of a bike lane in most places, it was a good ride. 

I just don't like having cars drive by from behind me; my lack of trust in today's drivers makes me wish I could ride into traffic like when I'm jogging.

hawgrunner

Bike lanes here in San Diego is one nice item we have. But still have issues with people driving too close and not watching.

hawgrunner

A view from today's ride.

DeltaBoy

I got at flat and I been too busy to get it fixed so it is hanging in the garage.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgrunner

Anyone use Garmin Edge series products like the 800?

DeltaBoy

You guys are going High tech I am using a 1970's Peugeot 10 speed.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgrunner

Got a Garmin Edge 800 for Christmas, did a quick 18 mile
to test it, wow very nice.

McKdaddy

Quote from: rock642 on December 25, 2013, 05:36:27 pm
Got a Garmin Edge 800 for Christmas, did a quick 18 mile
to test it, wow very nice.

Solid device.

hawgrunner

I'll be training for a 125 mile ride in 2014, so I'm sure the Edge 800 will do me well.

McKdaddy

I've decided to get a road bike. Toiling away on the mb for 25 miles every Saturday has become something I dread instead of something to enjoy (see post #21). I don't want to change out tires for the type of riding I might be doing, so an additional bike it is.

I'm going to get entry-level carbon and have Narrowed it down to Trek Domane 4.3 or Felt Z5. Both offer relative comfort and a more relaxed geometry. I've test-ridden each, but for only about 20 minutes each. They both feel good, handle fine, ride well. I really can't tell much of a difference. I like the fit of each. The Domane dampens the rough road more. As little as I ride, maybe neither bike is better or worse than the other.

Any pros/cons or opinions of each?

Should I take each on longer rides?

hawgrunner

February 08, 2014, 04:24:23 pm #31 Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:56:43 pm by rock642
Due to both bikes are very good, if your are not racing and low mileage I would go with the best cost.

McKdaddy

Quote from: rock642 on February 08, 2014, 04:24:23 pm
Due to both biked are very good, if your are not racing and low mileage I would go with the best cost.

Thank you for the feedback.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on February 08, 2014, 11:28:53 pm

Remember to unclip before you stop. Welcome to the road.

I hope that's a small learning curve. Had a buddy tell me that I'll fall over once, then never forget again, lol.

McKdaddy

I took off work yesterday to do test-rides. Rode the Roubaix Sport 105 and the Domane 4.3, about an hour each. Having come from riding a MB, both rode great and felt fast. I previously test-rode the Felt -- good bike -- but have eliminated it.

I expected a "dream ride" of sorts, I guess, from all the accolades I read about the Domane. The rear ISO speed decoupler made for a comfortable ride, but more so in the rear of the bike, not so much in the front end. Perhaps I had expectations that were simply too high based on all the reviews I had read of the Domane. It rode great, but not any better than the Roubaix, imo.

The Roubaix's rear and front dampeners made for just as good a ride, I believe. Perhaps the Domane has slightly more comfort in the rear, but the Roubaix more comfort in the front. So the 2 bikes comfort systems evened-out, in essence.

The Roubaix seemed a little more nimble and responsive, and I found its factory saddle more comfortable (fwiw).

I dropped by the Specialized shop first for that test ride. That shop was fantastic to work with. What a knowledgable, easy-going group of guys. On my 2 visits to this shop this week, I was told a couple of times to just make the best decision for me, that they just wanted me to be happy on a bike. Additionally, it helps that this shop probably has the best reputation in the city for service & repair. Also, they told me today that even if I bought the Trek, it would be no problem, that they'd be glad to fit me into it and service it for me, which I understand is good PR, but I appreciated it being said nonetheless. Those guys made me want to hang-out there. Honestly, I didn't want to go to the Trek Shop afterwards, other than I did want to test-ride the Domane. The Trek Shop doesn't have that same warm feeling. Not bad, just not the same. There's not the same excitement exuded by the staff towards the customer. It's just a whole other feeling than that of the Specialized shop. It's been said one should (or "could") have an emotional connection to the bike being purchased, but that goes for the shop as well, no doubt in my mind.

Since I didn't value one bike clearly over the other, the Specialized shop is winning me over. I should have the cash accumulated 1-2 paychecks from now, and place my order.

On a side note, I tested a bike w/ Ultegra just to see/feel the difference in it and 105. Wow, what a difference. Such crisp shifting. However, I'm tired of saving for a bike and am just ready to ride....105's it is.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on February 22, 2014, 02:27:25 pm
What pedal system are you going with? I've switched to Looks and really like them better than the old SPDs I was using.

I don't know Scott. I'll buy the shoes and pedals at the same time as the bike fitting. I like the dual entry of Speedplay, but will choose Shimano or Look due to their wider platforms.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on February 22, 2014, 02:41:16 pm
Yeah, the width of the Looks are what I really like about them. It might be a figment of my imagination, but I just feel better connected in those than the SPDs (or even the Crank Brothers I've got on my mountain bike).

I'll lean on the shop for direction, Scott, as this is new territory for me. I've been told by buddies to look for a firmer shoe to help prevent numb-foot.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on February 22, 2014, 04:05:43 pm
Don't scrimp on the shoes. I went with the entry-level Bontrager when I first got on the road. After a year I upgraded to the mid-levels and it felt so much better.

Sound advice, thanks.

McKdaddy

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 22, 2014, 02:06:40 pm
I took off work yesterday to do test-rides. Rode the Roubaix Sport 105 and the Domane 4.3, about an hour each. Having come from riding a MB, both rode great and felt fast. I previously test-rode the Felt -- good bike -- but have eliminated it.

I expected a "dream ride" of sorts, I guess, from all the accolades I read about the Domane. The rear ISO speed decoupler made for a comfortable ride, but more so in the rear of the bike, not so much in the front end. Perhaps I had expectations that were simply too high based on all the reviews I had read of the Domane. It rode great, but not any better than the Roubaix, imo.

The Roubaix's rear and front dampeners made for just as good a ride, I believe. Perhaps the Domane has slightly more comfort in the rear, but the Roubaix more comfort in the front. So the 2 bikes comfort systems evened-out, in essence.

The Roubaix seemed a little more nimble and responsive, and I found its factory saddle more comfortable (fwiw).

I dropped by the Specialized shop first for that test ride. That shop was fantastic to work with. What a knowledgable, easy-going group of guys. On my 2 visits to this shop this week, I was told a couple of times to just make the best decision for me, that they just wanted me to be happy on a bike. Additionally, it helps that this shop probably has the best reputation in the city for service & repair. Also, they told me today that even if I bought the Trek, it would be no problem, that they'd be glad to fit me into it and service it for me, which I understand is good PR, but I appreciated it being said nonetheless. Those guys made me want to hang-out there. Honestly, I didn't want to go to the Trek Shop afterwards, other than I did want to test-ride the Domane. The Trek Shop doesn't have that same warm feeling. Not bad, just not the same. There's not the same excitement exuded by the staff towards the customer. It's just a whole other feeling than that of the Specialized shop. It's been said one should (or "could") have an emotional connection to the bike being purchased, but that goes for the shop as well, no doubt in my mind.

Since I didn't value one bike clearly over the other, the Specialized shop is winning me over. I should have the cash accumulated 1-2 paychecks from now, and place my order.

On a side note, I tested a bike w/ Ultegra just to see/feel the difference in it and 105. Wow, what a difference. Such crisp shifting. However, I'm tired of saving for a bike and am just ready to ride....105's it is.

Final update, as the shopping process has ended. I enjoyed the experience a bit, but tired of the indecisiveness and persistent analyzing of each bike.

The Specialized shop (T-Town Bikes) is having a 30% off sale on the 2013 Specailized Roubaix SL4 Expert. The sale doesn't start until March 7th, but I'll be flying back that night from Denver for work. So I went by the shop today to see (1) what would be the chance of some of these Experts still being available in my size by the time I could get to the shop just before they close on the 7th or on the 8th, and (2) to see if I would like the colors they would have in this bike.

They only had 2 in size 56, but didn't act like they would be gone quickly in the sale. I told him that this bike, even at 30% off, would be a step-up from what I had planned to pay (compared to the Domane 4.3, the Felt Z4/5, or SL4 Sport), but that I was interested in doing so, so long as I could be assured of getting one on the 7th or 8th. Make a long story short, he told me he'd reserve it for me with 20% down now and not make me wait till March 7th to get the sale price. I was so relieved that it was not one of those "sorry, the sale starts...." type of deals. Now I don't have to worry about my flight being late and/or them being sold between now and then, etc.

But the deal wasn't completed yet...as I didn't want a crappy color. I wasn't going to be too picky with 30% off this bike, but wasn't going to take just any color either. That model came in 3 colors, and he had 2 of them in my size: a copper color and a matte black one. The copper color might, just might, work for an oSu Cowboy fan, but really it was a little Longhorn burnt orange, and this Razorback fan can't do that, ha. I told Jake (the guy I've been dealing with at the LBS) I didn't want to be picky about this sale-priced bike, but that I wouldn't pay him $500 for this bike w/ that color. He had a good laugh about that. The other color, matte black with blue striping, looks sleek and I'm very satisfied with it.

I have an appointment this Monday, March 3rd, to get my shoes, pedals, and fitted to the bike. Glad to have this done so I can start riding something other than my MB.

McKdaddy

Ready to ride, but looks like I'll have to wait.

McKdaddy

Thanks. Not sure when I'll get to ride, Scott....tomorrow the roads will still be bad, early Wednesday thru late Friday I'll fly to Denver and back for a conference, Saturday looks worse by the minute with a high of 40 and 60% rain.

Sunday looks nice!

McKdaddy

Scott and whomever else that wants to chime in -- can we discuss cold weather cycling gear?  Traditionally I've not cycled in temps under 55-degrees (not a hard-fast rule of mine, just a temp I can't recall cycling beneath).  Even when doing so in temps slightly above 55, say up to 65 degrees, I wouldn't be properly prepared.  So I'd like to briefly hear what you do to prep for a 25+ mile ride in the "cold", however you define "cold".

TIA

hilljack

Cold weather gear is worth its weight in gold.  I've ridden in weather as low as 30 F.  If you plan on much cold weather riding, I suggest a set of full length Bibs with a fleece liner, a good base layer shirt, a long sleeve jersey and a jacket.  A good pair of full finger gloves that are rated for the temp you're planning to ride will make you much more comfortable.  I don't see many people using them in the states, but the Italians I used to ride with got me hooked on riding with a Balaclava (face mask) or at least a neck gaitor. 

If you search the cycling websites you can find some decent deals on cold weather gear this time of year.  I like competetivecyclist.com.  I think they're based out of Little Rock, so that is a bonus.

McKdaddy

Ooh, I forgot about the gaitor I have hunting...that could be invaluable. Thanks.

McKdaddy

I bought a Garmin 500 this week on sale for $150. I think that model is 3-4 years old, with the 510 being its upgrade for the last year.  The 510 and the 800 are so popular that I'm surprised Garmin still makes the 500, but I sure appreciate them doing so. It does way more than I need. The 200 would have been more appropriate, but for $20 more the 500 couldn't be passed-up.

McKdaddy

March 09, 2014, 09:46:37 pm #45 Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:59:23 pm by McKdaddy
Well, I fell over. The bike is now broken-in as evidenced by my right-side pedal.

Here's a lengthy, but hopefully relatable narrative for you guys:

I did go practice clipping-in and out, but for only about 10 minutes on Friday night in a nearby Target lot after-hours. But there was no pressure on me....no car approaching a stop sign at the same time, no line of stopped traffic I was joining at a stop light. Just me and my tour-like exhibition of clipping-in and out. I then went for a 5-mile ride with no issues. The bike felt great, fast, light, and responsive. But this ride made me realize the need for a tail light as I didn't feel confident that the few cars approaching me from behind at this late hour could see me well. Foolish, but I was itching to finally ride my bike. Tulsa roads had been too cold and icy on the Monday of the bike purchase and on Tuesday as well. Wednesday thru Friday I had been at a conference in Denver. But I had been keeping my eyes on Friday night's temp when my flight would arrive. In the event my flight stayed on time, I would be able to get in some clipping practice and a short ride about 9pm. So I did.

This afternoon I went on a 20-miler. Things were stressful from the start as far more traffic was on the roads. My typical road riding occurs around 6:30 on Saturday mornings, when the roadways resemble ghost towns. Now I'm on much busier roads this afternoon, trying to pay attention to all the cars buzzing by me, while being uptight about each unclipping (and re-clipping) as I approached each light and stop sign. And I was catching every #$@% red light! But I was doing "okay" unclipping. Not great, too methodical and too much thinking, but I was gaining confidence.

I decided to cruise through a Wal-Mart parking lot, believing its 3 stop signs throughout the lot would be good practice for clipping-out, knowing I'd have to do so under pressure at each stop sign. I slowly approached the first stop sign at a similar time time as a minivan, however, she arrived slightly ahead of me, completing her stop before I knew I would be able to do so. So I thought I'd just roll to a near-stop without unclipping, then resume after she went through the stop sign. However, she wanted to yield to me, despite having reached the stop sign first. I tried to wave her on as my mph were dangerously approaching 0.0, and for a brief second she let off her brake to continue, only to then hit it again and begin to wave me on. Then it happened. I had no forward motion. The Garmin loudly beeped at me that "auto-pause" had activated. Momentarily my mind had fatally forgotten that my feet were inexorably attached to the bike. The bike began to fall to the right, in slow motion. I could not react, other than than to offend anyone within earshot with salty language. Next thing I know I am lying on my side on pavement, still attached to the bike as if it were an extension of my being. For a moment I couldn't figure out how to unclip my right foot, trapped under the bike, in order to be able to begin getting up. I flailed like a turtle on its back, until my right foot finally came free of its snare. I quickly got up, muttering how in the heck that had just happened. A man in a truck pulled alongside to see if I was okay. I had to laugh, telling him my pride was hurt more than anything else. How else could I respond? I had just fallen over in a busy Wal-Mart parking lot, surrounded by many witnesses, and was covered on my right side in gravelly sand from shoulder-to-toe (sand, of course, from the previous Sunday's snow to put some traction in the parking lot).

This was early in my ride, so I was a bit shaken, and apprehensively approached each stop sign and light for the rest of the ride. But I made it through without further mishaps. What a rush! I love the rhythmic light sound of the drivetrain churning, the rush of wind, and the sights and smells of the local geography. Such a liberating experience. The roadie is so much faster, smoother, lighter, and responsive than my MB that it doesn't even seem like riding the MB should be called "cycling".

Good returns: no bum soreness from this ride, which I consider a victory for the new saddle.

Also, halfway in the ride, the outer area of my left foot began to throb. I wondered if I was experiencing "hot foot" that I've read about. I remembered my guy at the LBS telling me not to make them too tight, so I eventually loosened the shoe slightly and the throbbing lessened. Scott, you had told me not to scrimp on shoes, that a sturdier shoe platform would be worth the money, so I did not scrimp, so hopefully that's not the issue. Perhaps my foot will simply have an adjustment period to this new means to pedaling.

Lastly, the Garmin 500 is a solid device, and sure seems like a good value. I've enjoyed using it thus far.

Thought you guys would enjoy a laugh.

XR2

had my first pedal related fall last week right by wilson park over here in fayetteville. Got on clipless pedals (speedplay light actions) last june or july when I got my Caad 8 and made it all that time without doing it...I guess it was inevitable at some point, I just don't think I needed so many witnesses (several cars)...

UhYeaJoe

You rode thru Wal-Mart parking lot???

You are brave.

I don't even like to drive thru one.

I fell over one time in a large crowd before a ride. Bad thing is, I had been riding for years. It happens. Of course all my friends were telling me the BMX show was the next weekend.

McKdaddy

Thanks for the shared humor, everyone.

McKdaddy

I'm looking to do "moderate" length rides. If anyone is interested in having a ride-partner in your area for a charitable ride, let me know and I'll see if my calendar lines up.

Thus far I've signed up for...
Tour of Tulsa, 50-mi option. It is on Saturday, May 3rd.
Tulsa Tough Sat & Sun fondos. 39-mi on Sat & 35-mi on Sun. It is on June 7th & 8th.

If you'd like to join me on these rides, let me know.