Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gulf Shores

Started by razorbackinthegrove, July 24, 2012, 09:41:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

Quote from: razorbackinthegrove on March 22, 2013, 11:15:05 am
A great experience is to go out to Billy's seafood in bon secor about 10 miles off 59 at the major intersection before causway bridge.  This is where all the shrimp and oyster boats come in and feed the local markets.  They have a market that sells direct, but few drive out there, it has an incredible selection.
billys-seafood.com
That is where we brought back coolers full of stuff from...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

HawgWild

A great experience is to go out to Billy's seafood in bon secor about 10 miles off 59 at the major intersection before causway bridge.  This is where all the shrimp and oyster boats come in and feed the local markets.  They have a market that sells direct, but few drive out there, it has an incredible selection.
billys-seafood.com

I've been there twice this week and am heading back out there again today. It's a long way from Fort Morgan but it's where all the locals I asked said they go to buy their seafood.

GreenwayTigerHog

You guys are giving me the fever

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Junkyard Hog

Leaving tomorrow for GS for about the 14th time. We always hit the same restaurants but after reading this thread we're going to try Cobalt's and Jessie's in addition to our normal hangouts.

HawgWild

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on September 05, 2013, 09:37:30 pm
Leaving tomorrow for GS for about the 14th time. We always hit the same restaurants but after reading this thread we're going to try Cobalt's and Jessie's in addition to our normal hangouts.

You'll be glad you added Jessie's to your list. Enjoy your trip.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on September 05, 2013, 09:37:30 pm

I liked Cobalt's location and being able to sit outside by the water. I wouldn't go back for the food, but I appear to be in the minority -- it wasn't bad, just average.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 06, 2013, 02:43:07 pm
I liked Cobalt's location and being able to sit outside by the water. I wouldn't go back for the food, but I appear to be in the minority -- it wasn't bad, just average.

Ate there last night.  This is exactly how I'd describe it.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on September 12, 2013, 09:10:39 pm
Ate there last night.  This is exactly how I'd describe it.

Tried Jessie's yet? Really enjoyed it when we went.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: TomasPistola on September 12, 2013, 09:13:47 pm
Tried Jessie's yet? Really enjoyed it when we went.

We didn't get to go this time. We'll try it next year.

Boarcephus

billys-seafood.com

Looks interesting.  Have you ever had them ship you anything?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

BR

Headed back for a week next March...

HawgWild

Fair Hope is having their Arts and Crafts Fair March 14, 15 & 16 next year. It's worth a side trip if you're in the area. Stop at Jessie's on the way back for a meal.

BR

Quote from: HawgWild on September 23, 2013, 04:14:44 pm
Fair Hope is having their Arts and Crafts Fair March 14, 15 & 16 next year. It's worth a side trip if you're in the area. Stop at Jessie's on the way back for a meal.
Have a Beach Music Festival 19-23...

DeltaBoy

Gulf Shores was my favorite Spring Break spot when I was at UALR.   Cheap , Quite and a short hop to Pensacola.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

HawgWild

I see where Foley is having a BBQ & Blues Festival the weekend of March 15th. Might be a good place to stop off and have a sammich on the way into GS/OB.

BR

I get in there on March 15th, we are having a Parrothead 3 day party starting March 20th... Can't wait

Huckleberry Pig

Have been put in charge of planning a bachelor party and am thinking of doing a trip to Gulf Shores for music fest March 19-23.  Have been to GS before and have always done hotel, Found some good deals on trivago.

Was wondering if anyone has any experience renting a house down there?  There will be 7-8 of us so that might make more sense.  Anyone recommend any particular website to search on or have any tips for going that route?

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on February 12, 2014, 10:18:28 am
Have been put in charge of planning a bachelor party and am thinking of doing a trip to Gulf Shores for music fest March 19-23.  Have been to GS before and have always done hotel, Found some good deals on trivago.

Was wondering if anyone has any experience renting a house down there?  There will be 7-8 of us so that might make more sense.  Anyone recommend any particular website to search on or have any tips for going that route?

www.meyerre.com

HawgWild

Huckleberry Pig

HawgWild

BR - You going to do the pub crawl next weekend in Gulf Shores?

BR

Quote from: HawgWild on March 05, 2014, 12:51:08 pm
BR - You going to do the pub crawl next weekend in Gulf Shores?
We get in sometime Saturday the 15th... If we can I would love to, we always do our unofficial pup crawl nightly...

Boarcephus

billys-seafood.com

Is there any place like this in the Destin area?????
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

BR

HEADED out in the morning for 8 days, can not wait...

HawgWild

Billy's had some good looking Royal Reds when I was out there this afternoon. BR, you buying any?

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on March 15, 2014, 07:58:03 pm
Billy's had some good looking Royal Reds when I was out there this afternoon. BR, you buying any?

I'm not BR but I don't like Royal Reds.  Their texture is a bit too mushy for me.  I like the crispier texture you get from the deeper water shrimp.  We're headed to Destin in a month or so and can't wait.   There is a major difference in cleaning freshly caught shrimp you buy down there as opposed to what you pick up at Sam's.

BR

We just got in yesterday, haven't went out to Billy's yet. I'm sure we will get something

DeltaBoy

BR

The PLace to go get your seafood... OMG http://www.joepattis.com/  We loaded up.

old hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 15, 2014, 08:31:58 pm
I'm not BR but I don't like Royal Reds.  Their texture is a bit too mushy for me.  I like the crispier texture you get from the deeper water shrimp.  We're headed to Destin in a month or so and can't wait.   There is a major difference in cleaning freshly caught shrimp you buy down there as opposed to what you pick up at Sam's.
Actually Royal Reds usually don't see the light of the day, caught in depths of over 1000 ft. deep.They are the deep water shrimp. Because of their delicate texture, cooking time must be cut in half or they will turn mushy. Most people have a tendency to overcook them. And do not use salt, they are salty enough. Have to agree that seafood bought down there has that fresh ocean taste as compared to what is bought up here. No comparison.

ChrisD

Bahama Bob's is a great little joint on the beach just west of the 59 intersection. Great shrimp and fresh fish.

Boarcephus

Quote from: old hog on March 23, 2014, 09:07:02 pm
Actually Royal Reds usually don't see the light of the day, caught in depths of over 1000 ft. deep.They are the deep water shrimp. Because of their delicate texture, cooking time must be cut in half or they will turn mushy. Most people have a tendency to overcook them. And do not use salt, they are salty enough. Have to agree that seafood bought down there has that fresh ocean taste as compared to what is bought up here. No comparison.

+1 to you old hog.  You're right, I'm wrong about the royal reds being a deep water shrimp.  I know the folks at Sexton's Seafood told me they were a shallow water shrimp and that was the reason for the texture difference but after doing a little research, you're right.

We're headed there in about a month and Im sure we'll hit Sexton's on the way in and buy shrimp after eating at Harbor Docks.  That's kind of a tradition we have when we get into town.  I just don't like the royal reds.  Mushy while the others have a "snap" to them.

old hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 26, 2014, 06:29:22 am
+1 to you old hog.  You're right, I'm wrong about the royal reds being a deep water shrimp.  I know the folks at Sexton's Seafood told me they were a shallow water shrimp and that was the reason for the texture difference but after doing a little research, you're right.

We're headed there in about a month and Im sure we'll hit Sexton's on the way in and buy shrimp after eating at Harbor Docks.  That's kind of a tradition we have when we get into town.  I just don't like the royal reds.  Mushy while the others have a "snap" to them.
Have to make it a quick boil then ice bath afterwards. Never could get it right myself. The few times Ive tried they turned out mushy. Love that snap of those big ones. And you're right, there just something about the flavor of seafood down around the coast. Don't know if its the extra days it takes to ship up here or what, but that flavor is special.

old hog

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on February 28, 2013, 02:07:18 pm
  Another good option (if you want to drive) is http://www.joepattis.com/ in Pensacola. They have a ridiculous amount of fresh seafood.
Always go by here and load up when headed out. Always heard stories of the family that owns it being connected to the mob and such. Probably just more rumors and speculation.

BR

Quote from: old hog on March 26, 2014, 10:35:09 am
Always go by here and load up when headed out. Always heard stories of the family that owns it being connected to the mob and such. Probably just more rumors and speculation.
Yep I could care less who they are connected to, as long as they have GREAT seafood. Awesome selection. We pigged out while we were there, and brought food back to the condo for the week..

BR

More Info on Gulf Shores...