Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joe Maddon to the Cubs??

Started by ricepig, October 29, 2014, 05:02:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

That's been the rumor. I'd hate to see it. Maddon is one of my favorite managers. I really wanted him in Stl.

jrulz83

It's going to be painful watching Maddon manage circles around Matheny...
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

popcornhog

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 29, 2014, 06:35:10 pm
He was never going to stay on the market very long...

...and he's going to have some pretty good young talent to work with in Chicago. 

Big-time upgrade for them.

Honestly, if their young talent continues to improve like they did late this past season, they could be in the mix in the Central or at least for a Wild Card spot. The Pirates should be really good though along with the Cards in the division. Brewers/Reds? Hard to say.

The Cubbies could be the most improved team in the mlb,

I'd love to meet them in the NLCS, get down 3-0, and come back to keep them out.
WPS

LL COOL HOG

Please Please Please. The cubs need a proven veteran manager and a new pitching rotation. 

ucahogfan

This is an excellent hire by the Cubs if it does indeed happen.  Maddon has experience with the Rays of taking the top farm system in baseball and seeing those players graduate to the majors and win a whole lot.  The Cubs have a lot of cash at their disposal as well and I expect them to make a run at Lester, Scherzer, and Shields and potentially sign two of them.  While I think they could win the Central in 2016, they could be very good in 2015 if they sign two of those three.  The one big thing their system is lacking is a potential ace.  They have more top offensive prospects than positions, but their pitching is not very deep.

popcornhog

Quote from: ucahogfan on October 29, 2014, 08:32:10 pm
This is an excellent hire by the Cubs if it does indeed happen.  Maddon has experience with the Rays of taking the top farm system in baseball and seeing those players graduate to the majors and win a whole lot.  The Cubs have a lot of cash at their disposal as well and I expect them to make a run at Lester, Scherzer, and Shields and potentially sign two of them.  While I think they could win the Central in 2016, they could be very good in 2015 if they sign two of those three.  The one big thing their system is lacking is a potential ace.  They have more top offensive prospects than positions, but their pitching is not very deep.

Agreed.
WPS

popcornhog

Sounds like a done deal. They're gonna trend up fast, especially if they're able to add a couple of pieces.
WPS

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: ucahogfan on October 29, 2014, 08:32:10 pm
Cj Edwards is a potential ace but he hard arm problems last year. They expect him to slot in nicely in 2016. The rest are middle of the rotation types. Plenty of power bullpen arms. Armando Rivero and Corey Black both have dominant closer potential.

ucahogfan

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on December 11, 2014, 08:19:13 am
Cj Edwards is a potential ace but he hard arm problems last year. They expect him to slot in nicely in 2016. The rest are middle of the rotation types. Plenty of power bullpen arms. Armando Rivero and Corey Black both have dominant closer potential.
Edwards is not a potential ace.  A potential ace is a top 20 overall prospect type in the minors like a Lucas Giolito or Archie Bradley.  Edwards probably projects more as a 2/3 in the big leagues which would make him an excellent pitcher, but not an ace.  Those are very rare in the bigs.