Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Attendance report

Started by MikePiazza, March 07, 2016, 10:17:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BRHogfan

Quote from: razoredge178 on March 08, 2016, 09:01:45 am
My opinion? Last year grossly underperformed. Two 1st/2nd round caliber NBA players and you squeak through one round of the tourney? I will say that I think Bobby Portis was impressively disciplined. I think you recruit discipline as much as teach it.

I'm typically impressed with the discipline of players that Kevin Stallings @ Vandy puts on the court, Coach K at Duke...Billy Donovan was fantastic at bringing in highly disciplined players.

I can appreciate you going through the box scores. And I agree that we don't typically end up in "foul trouble," but I stand behind the early double bonus trouble we get into. Anyone that either goes to all the games or watches them can validate that.

Wait who was drafted in the 2nd round last season?  I don't see any guys on that roster that were drafted in the 2nd round.

I've watched every game this season, man.  I knew that what you were saying was inaccurate, and I looked up numbers that were pretty close to disproving you.  "anyone... can validate that" is saying "I can't validate that, but I feel like it's that way, so I'm gonna say it"

Yeah, we don't get the players Coach K gets.  Kevin Stallings has been doing equal if not worse than CMA over the last 5 years.  Stallings has been head coach at Vandy for 17 seasons, and only has 5 more conference wins than CMA has had in coaching just 14 years at three different schools.  Stallings has 6 NCAA tournament appearances in 17 years to Mike's 7 in 14 years.  Don't throw Kevin Stallings and discipline at me.

razoredge178

Quote from: BRHogfan on March 08, 2016, 09:15:18 am
Wait who was drafted in the 2nd round last season?  I don't see any guys on that roster that were drafted in the 2nd round.

I've watched every game this season, man.  I knew that what you were saying was inaccurate, and I looked up numbers that were pretty close to disproving you.  "anyone... can validate that" is saying "I can't validate that, but I feel like it's that way, so I'm gonna say it"

Yeah, we don't get the players Coach K gets.  Kevin Stallings has been doing equal if not worse than CMA over the last 5 years.  Stallings has been head coach at Vandy for 17 seasons, and only has 5 more conference wins than CMA has had in coaching just 14 years at three different schools.  Stallings has 6 NCAA tournament appearances in 17 years to Mike's 7 in 14 years.  Don't throw Kevin Stallings and discipline at me.

I concede to your brilliance.

Michael Qualls wouldn't have been a 2nd round guy before his injury.
We don't double bonus our opponents early in games.
Kevin Stallings sucks arse.
Duke is better than us.
Billy Donovan, urrghh....forgot that one.

You got it figured out. CMA should carve an extra seat by his other BFF's for you buddy!

BRHogfan

Quote from: razoredge178 on March 08, 2016, 09:56:32 am
I concede to your brilliance.

Michael Qualls wouldn't have been a 2nd round guy before his injury.
We don't double bonus our opponents early in games.
Kevin Stallings sucks arse.
Duke is better than us.
Billy Donovan, urrghh....forgot that one.

You got it figured out. CMA should carve an extra seat by his other BFF's for you buddy!

I thought he was injured in a post draft camp, but looked it up, and you are right Qualls was injured predraft. 

I don't think I'm a CMA apologist nor his BFF.  I feel like when you go and try to label someone that way, once again, you're trying to put them in a box so that you have this neat and tidy little world where everything is exactly black and white.  When people tend to pick up on one single thing that they want to say is wrong with someone as a coach or as a player, I tend to attack that one single thing you're saying, because it never holds up. 

The world is definitely very much in shades of gray.  I'm sick of all the talk on here being the CMA war, and it's probably why I should get off of Hogville. 

It's not 20 years ago.  We live in a different world.  We have a basketball team that could lose on Thursday and finish at .500.  Our expectations of this basketball team have to stop being win the whole damn thing or quit.  We went through a thread a few months ago talking about how much harder it is to make the NCAA tournament than to get to a bowl game in football.  Our football team has also had a whole lot more success than the basketball team in the last 14 years. I think that success breeds frustration on the basketball side of things.  Plus Baseball and track are pretty much always killing it.

We're all tired.  No one wants another Heath or another Pelphrey.  We all recognize that CMA isn't Nolan, and that if we took Nolan from the 80's and brought him here to start coaching today, he probably wouldn't have the same success. 

I wrote a lot to say that I'm not BFF's with Mike. I wrote a lot today to make you think about what you were saying.  I just want people to realize that they can have an informed opinion about what's going on with the basketball program instead of taking pot shots at the team, coaches, and administration.  We all know next year has to be better. 

razoredge178

Quote from: BRHogfan on March 08, 2016, 10:18:01 am
I thought he was injured in a post draft camp, but looked it up, and you are right Qualls was injured predraft. 

I don't think I'm a CMA apologist nor his BFF.  I feel like when you go and try to label someone that way, once again, you're trying to put them in a box so that you have this neat and tidy little world where everything is exactly black and white.  When people tend to pick up on one single thing that they want to say is wrong with someone as a coach or as a player, I tend to attack that one single thing you're saying, because it never holds up. 

The world is definitely very much in shades of gray.  I'm sick of all the talk on here being the CMA war, and it's probably why I should get off of Hogville. 

It's not 20 years ago.  We live in a different world.  We have a basketball team that could lose on Thursday and finish at .500.  Our expectations of this basketball team have to stop being win the whole damn thing or quit.  We went through a thread a few months ago talking about how much harder it is to make the NCAA tournament than to get to a bowl game in football.  Our football team has also had a whole lot more success than the basketball team in the last 14 years. I think that success breeds frustration on the basketball side of things.  Plus Baseball and track are pretty much always killing it.

We're all tired.  No one wants another Heath or another Pelphrey.  We all recognize that CMA isn't Nolan, and that if we took Nolan from the 80's and brought him here to start coaching today, he probably wouldn't have the same success. 

I wrote a lot to say that I'm not BFF's with Mike. I wrote a lot today to make you think about what you were saying.  I just want people to realize that they can have an informed opinion about what's going on with the basketball program instead of taking pot shots at the team, coaches, and administration.  We all know next year has to be better.

Well said sir!

And with that said, I have a very subjective question, yet not a neat and tidy box question. Would you call this team, or any of CMA's since being at the UofA, disciplined?

Disciplined in (I'll order these in the way I see them from worse to not as worse...):

1) Shot clock management (players)
2) Time out management (players and coach)
3) Foul management (players)
4) Player rotation (coach)
5) Ball rotation, i.e. getting the extra pass, working the ball inside out, etc. (players)

I absolutely, 100% don't mind if we're not a "play by play" team. But, BUT, if you're going to run a full throttle, unscripted offensive program, you've got to recruit highly disciplined players that don't need play by play direction from the coach. Players that don't need reminded to juice some clock. Players that don't need reminded that we don't need to commit a foul with 3 seconds on the shot clock.

BRHogfan

Quote from: razoredge178 on March 08, 2016, 10:55:23 am
Well said sir!

And with that said, I have a very subjective question, yet not a neat and tidy box question. Would you call this team, or any of CMA's since being at the UofA, disciplined?

Disciplined in (I'll order these in the way I see them from worse to not as worse...):

5) Ball rotation, i.e. getting the extra pass, working the ball inside out, etc. (players)

I absolutely, 100% don't mind if we're not a "play by play" team. But, BUT, if you're going to run a full throttle, unscripted offensive program, you've got to recruit highly disciplined players that don't need play by play direction from the coach. Players that don't need reminded to juice some clock. Players that don't need reminded that we don't need to commit a foul with 3 seconds on the shot clock.

I don't believe I am going to answer you point by point, because most of what I can provide in this case is conjecture without cold hard facts.

Many teams in the NCAA rely on the motion offense.  The rules are simple.  When you get the ball,  you dribble, you pass, or you shoot.  Every player has different rules, though.  The bigs don't get to dribble or shoot outside the three point arc.  They look at the defense and decide to swing it, pass it back, or hand it off.

Besides the South Carolina game, this results in the players on the team knowing what their teammate is going to do 9 times out of 10.  While this might provide defenses with the same information, the players are doing other things to muck it up.  The players off the ball will make different decisions when they cut, they set down screens, they flash in the top of the key, they fake shots.  The goal of the motion offense is to free up the team for what they've decided is the best option.  With the first team, that's been Kingsley down low, Bell or Hannahs jump shot, Bell or Hannahs floater, or Jabril or Manny driving the lane.  Sometimes it takes them awhile to free someone up for a high percentage look, and that's when the shotclock gets low.  Durham is usually the loser of that scenario and shoots a low percentage shot, or drives for an even lower percentage turnover or circus shot. 

I feel like our offense has done a very good job of managing the shot clock and moving the ball this season.  In fact, I think this team has done a better job of it than last year's did. 

I think your upset at sometimes watching the first pass early in the shot clock three by Bell or Hannahs.  If those guys weren't supposed to be taking that shot, they would be sitting on the pine next to CMA.  If we had undisciplined players, you'd see Beard, Whitt, and Durham taking the same kind of shot, but they don't.

Our players never call a timeout when they get in trouble.  This is something that you used to see a lot of in the college game.  A team would usually use their timeout in the first half when a player got into trouble trapped in the corner etc.  I don't see any teams doing this anymore.  CMA usually doesn't use all of his timeouts most games.  There have been a couple (I'm thinking Georgia game) where he was almost out of timeouts with a few minutes left.  I think that's usually when the team is on the brink of giving up on the game.  I'm okay with that.  I'm also okay with a coach not using all of his timeouts.  Many have been critical of the game where the other team had no timeouts and Mike gave them one to setup the overtime or game winning play.  I can't fault that.  I've seen coaches not call a timeout and give up a pg slashing to the hoop because his team wasn't prepared in a system.  I can't call that bad management.

Thompson and Hannahs seem to get in the most foul trouble.  I think they are a bit slower than the guys they are guarding and Hannahs always seems to be a magnet for fouls.  Most of our players do a pretty good job of not fouling out.  We get called for a lot of fouls.  Usually I'm upset at the call more than the player.  I'm probably too biased to speak to that. I don't think any player is trying to foul with 3 seconds left on the shot clock, and like I said before, I'm usually mad the ref is making that call more than the player for hustling.

If I'm Mike, I make sure I keep an assistant telling me to never put Durham, Whitt, Watkins, Miles, and Kouassi on the floor at the same time, but I'm not Mike.  I'm glad he doesn't drive players into the floor like Calipari playing Ulis for every minute in an overtime game against Kansas.  It's frustrating when Hannahs hits a three only to be benched right after because of Mike's first half system.  I understand sitting a guy with 2 fouls for the remainder of the first half.  Many coaches have used these rules.  You want to get everyone that's going to play in the game on the court in the first half for meaningful minutes.  You want to know who's got it today and who doesn't.  If you want a team to only play 7 or 8 guys, that's not Mike.  I would just avoid the stupid lineups.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: razoredge178 on March 08, 2016, 10:55:23 am
Well said sir!

This undisciplined team has managed to close the season winning 4 out of their last 5 games. That is including two road wins. This team was picked to finish close to the bottom of the SEC standing but managed to finish in the middle.

razoredge178

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 08, 2016, 11:30:33 am
This undisciplined team has managed to close the season winning 4 out of their last 5 games. That is including two road wins. This team was picked to finish close to the bottom of the SEC standing but managed to finish in the middle.

Exactly. Win 4 of 5, lose 4 of 5, win another 4 of 5. The game may be streaky, but in the SEC, a well coached, disciplined team performs with consistency each game. 30+ point swings from game to game, etc...examples of an undisciplined team.

Champs04

A lot of the people on here get mad because they saw what a winning program was and they want that again. You cant blame them for that. A lot of people on here are also mad because they heard we will pick them up on the bus,we will be fighting for tickets and the ever so popular i will fight a bear and none of that has happened. People want to win here you cant blame them for that.

jbcarol

http://assets.espn.go.com/SEC/basketball/ncb/2016/MBKB%20Release.pdf
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

HawgAdvocate

Interesting numbers, and good find, though the ones listed for Arkansas unfortunately aren't the 'estimated actual attendance' figures. 'Estimated actual' may have topped 15k just once this season.

EDIT: Never mind, after checking, we didn't top 15k in 'actual attendance' once this season.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

MikePiazza

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 08, 2016, 05:34:05 pm
Interesting numbers, and good find, though the ones listed for Arkansas unfortunately aren't the 'estimated actual attendance' figures. 'Estimated actual' may have topped 15k just once this season.

EDIT: Never mind, after checking, we didn't top 15k in 'actual attendance' once this season.

We did during the Kentucky game. That was only one.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: hobhog on March 07, 2016, 06:48:59 pm
7th in Sec attendance. Awesome.
Out attended by a team that went 6-12 in conference play. You can tell everyone is stoked about the fastest 40 product
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Hollywood_HOGan45

Zero ncaat success in 20 years will do this.

dsims2k3

Hey guys, let's throw out some attendance rankings and numbers for this season to get people riled up since we can't start a riot about total wins..... It worked to get Pelphrey out the door. (sarcasm off)

Too funny.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: dsims2k3 on March 09, 2016, 07:39:06 am
Hey guys, let's throw out some attendance rankings and numbers for this season to get people riled up since we can't start a riot about total wins..... It worked to get Pelphrey out the door. (sarcasm off)

Too funny.
So you're ok with the total wins this year? The last year Heath was the coach he was 21-14. Pel's last year he was 18-13. But no one should say anything about 16-15? You are "too funny"
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Letsroll1200

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 09, 2016, 09:09:15 am
So you're ok with the total wins this year? The last year Heath was the coach he was 21-14. Pel's last year he was 18-13. But no one should say anything about 16-15? You are "too funny"

Stan Heath and John Pelphrey where both 7-9 in conference their last season as coaches. John Pelphrey was under .500 three years in a row at Arkansas. Stan Heath teams where under .500 in conference play 4 out of 5 seasons he was the coach.

MikePiazza

I have been going to Razorback basketball games since 1995-96. This year was probably the most games I went to since I was a student.

I went to an exhibition and then I went to the Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Kentucky, LSU and South Carolina games. The Kentucky game was by far the best crowd, but the best atmosphere was definitely S. Carolina when the team went on that run to get back in the game. When Dusty hit that 3 to cut it to nine, it was the loudest I had heard BWA in a long time.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: dsims2k3 on March 09, 2016, 07:39:06 am

Too funny.

Because, hey, if a harmless conversation doesn't end up in a riot, what's the point? Right?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Kenny Dowell Loggains

So many complaints of tip-off times... yeah, go tell that to Duke & Kansas

MountieDawg

Quote from: gguillo on March 09, 2016, 07:15:39 pm

6 is too early, 8 is too late, 35 degrees is too cold above 55 is too nice to go inside, some games are too late to take kids, school is out of session....  However the crowds are much better than most in college basketball, to fill up BW regularly it will take consistent winning and an exciting product. I haven't looked at all the attendance numbers but I bet Bud Walton has the highest attendance of any school not going to a Sweer 16 in 20 years.
SEC!

hogsanity

Quote from: gguillo on March 09, 2016, 07:15:39 pm

when your team is as good as those year after year after year they could play at 2am outside in a blizzard and still draw well.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE