Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carrying the ball

Started by Mr.Swine89, December 30, 2017, 12:32:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Swine89

Is it just me, or does the Tenn PG do it everytime he drives. They called it once, but my God be consistent and keep calling it.

Hogcephus

I thought the officials missed at least 3-4 obvious traveling violations on TN today.

Nosboar Accubond

Macon is known to carry it some too, I think it's okay

LJHOG

Forget the refs.  Take the win and move on.

Blinkhog

Was at the game and all everyone was talking about was how much they were letting Tenner travel and carry the ball. 

hogsanity

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 30, 2017, 12:36:31 pm
Basketball at all levels would improve markedly by calling all the handling violations again.

MAybe after a while, but at first it would just be whistles and turnovers every trip because almost all guards carry the ball if you go by the book definition.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfanny

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2017, 04:42:39 pm
MAybe after a while, but at first it would just be whistles and turnovers every trip because almost all guards carry the ball if you go by the book definition.
Yep , dribbling is overrated. Travelling is just used for grudge and make-up calls.............

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

It was baaad. Several cases where they blatantly walked, no call and scored on that possession. Doug Shows & crew are HORRIBLE.

incHOGnito

I am not sure how Macon doesn't get called for carrying every time he dribbles. So, no, that is not a rule i want enforced.

Sow Lancelot

... is not a concern for refs anymore. 

Interestingly, my 20-year-old son, who played high school basketball, and I watched Jborohog's highlights from the '82 aTm game yesterday. He asked me why the guys were dribbling like that. Like what? Like they are scared to dribble. He had no idea carrying was such a no-no at one time.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2017, 04:42:39 pm
Theres an emphasis on calling the carry when a noticeable advantage is gained. He was able to use the carry to get to the rim a lot. By definition and enforcement of the rule we don't carry the basketball.

hawg IQ

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on December 30, 2017, 12:32:20 pm
Is it just me, or does the Tenn PG do it everytime he drives. They called it once, but my God be consistent and keep calling it.
a terrible job of officiating all day. Last 30 seconds, refs stared just making stuff up . Hey as good a tenner is they were lucky all day. There would be like a second left on the clock and they would throw it at the hoop and make it  those last two shots in ot we just quit defending.
go hogs go !

3of5-2

Refs and Umps suck. If a ref has never played basketball in college, he should not ref in college. Same goes for high school and junior high. Don't even get me going on the female refs doing male games.

Kevin

I will thought they were cracking down on carrying calls
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

rljjr

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 31, 2017, 11:58:05 am
Refs and Umps suck. If a ref has never played basketball in college, he should not ref in college. Same goes for high school and junior high. Don't even get me going on the female refs doing male games.

This doesn't make sense. I suppose if you didn't play you shouldn't coach, either. Or you shouldn't be in the booth calling the game. You don't have to play to be a good referee. You just need to know the rules and apply them consistently without bias.

3of5-2

Quote from: rljjr on December 31, 2017, 01:17:37 pm
This doesn't make sense. I suppose if you didn't play you shouldn't coach, either. Or you shouldn't be in the booth calling the game. You don't have to play to be a good referee. You just need to know the rules and apply them consistently without bias.
Apples to oranges. This aint the 1950's. Most, not all, of these officials cannot keep up with the flow of the game at times. Just watch after a made basket, how many times the player inbounding the ball steps on the end line while throwing the ball in. Most of these refs barely get in position to make a call on that. Same goes for the charge/block call, and the carry call, or the travel call. They can't get in position to make the correct call most of the time. Strike zone in baseball, you have some umps lining up directly behind the catcher, some shaded to the right and some shaded to the left. No way freakin way is the strike zone going to be the same for a batter or a pitcher. The fact is, most are too lazy, or think their interpretation of said rule is the correct one.

McKdaddy

Quote from: incHOGnito on December 30, 2017, 05:35:21 pm
I am not sure how Macon doesn't get called for carrying every time he dribbles. So, no, that is not a rule i want enforced.

Agreed, ha.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

hogsanity

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 31, 2017, 09:39:43 am
This illustrates the problem - referees should call the rules as written, and if that brings about the need for a rules modification then so be it.  Let the process play out.   

Thats the real problem though, the leagues want to tell the refs how to call certain things. Every year there are "Areas of emphasis" like with carrying this year. They want it called when and advantage is gained. How about just calling it any time it happens? Carrying has become like travelling, it was let go so long it became part of the game and it would wreck offenses if it was called by the book.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 31, 2017, 01:24:53 pm
I still maintain that far too few resources are allocated toward referee development.  For all of the changes in all of the sports over the lat 2-3 decades, almost every sport still lags markedly behind in the area of referee development starting at the HS level and older. 

I'd agree with that. I know guys who have signed up to referee hs ball and are almost immediately on varsity games ( more so in baseball and football ). Why? Because there is a shortage of officials because you have to love calling games to put up with the crap for no more than you get paid.

I do basketball and starting Tues I work 19 out of 23 days. Off 3 Sundays and 1 Wednesday. Why? Because there are not enough refs to go around because people would rather bitch and moan and act like they could do the job instead of getting out, signing up, going to clinics, and doing the job.

TexArkHogFan

They are in training to be NBA refs.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

1highhog

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on December 30, 2017, 12:32:20 pm

Do you ever watch the NBA?  There wouldn't be any "superstars" if they called palming the ball and traveling.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: 1highhog on January 02, 2018, 03:57:40 pm
Do you ever watch the NBA?  There wouldn't be any "superstars" if they called palming the ball and traveling.
add illegal screens and star player protection calls to that and you'll see the 3strikes that turned me off the NBA.
You can't pay me to watch their product.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.