Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let’s Poll on the Three Coaches Named this Morning

Started by WilsonHog, November 22, 2017, 11:07:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Of these three, who do you want as our next football coach?

Gus Malzahn
118 (36.4%)
Mike Norvell
152 (46.9%)
Mike Leach
54 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Voting closed: November 25, 2017, 11:07:32 am

WilsonHog

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Pig Power

I'd be happy with any of those three, but I would give nod to Gus if all of his defensive coaches came with him.

East TN HAWG

Any of them; however, Gus represents the least amount of risk. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: East TN HAWG on November 22, 2017, 11:29:51 am
Any of them; however, Gus represents the least amount of risk. 

Does he also then represent the least amount of reward?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

DZ

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

PLHawg

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 22, 2017, 11:49:09 am
Does he also then represent the least amount of reward?

I don't know.  Right now, he is in position to still play for a NC.  For record, I think he loses.  It would be nice to be relevant the final week of the season. 

BadHog

None of the above.

Why isn't Brent Venebles an option? He can recruit the heck out of Texas.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Hoggie17

Quote from: BadHog on November 22, 2017, 12:06:17 pm
None of the above.

Why isn't Brent Venebles an option? He can recruit the heck out of Texas.
Brent Venebles has never been a HC, lacks experience.

King Kong

#1 STUNNA

TexasHog

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 22, 2017, 12:12:40 pm
Brent Venebles has never been a HC, lacks experience.

Kirby Smart also wasn't a Head Coach before Georgia.
Coaches have to be given a shot as HC somewhere they don't just magically become a Head Coach with years of head coaching experience.

Razorback de Nosferatu

GuvHog

Quote from: TexasHog on November 22, 2017, 12:26:05 pm
Kirby Smart also wasn't a Head Coach before Georgia.
Coaches have to be given a shot as HC somewhere they don't just magically become a Head Coach with years of head coaching experience.

Agreed. For Arkansas to refuse to consider Venables because he has never been a head coach would be a case of getting too big for their britches.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

pigz

I kinda like the Idea of Leach. He's about as weird as it gets, but shouldnt stick out too much in Fayetteville.
You guys have a good time frig dancing

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: East TN HAWG on November 22, 2017, 12:05:15 pm
I don't know.  Right now, he is in position to still play for a NC.  For record, I think he loses.  It would be nice to be relevant the final week of the season. 

You are basing that assessment on what he has done at his current P5 school.  We've seen that's not a guarantee.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

NotSoFastMyFriend

1) Norvell
2a) Leach
2b) Gus

All would be an upgrade. A wet mop would as well.

hawgball40

Whilst I dislike the airraid, I still voted for Mike Leach. He seems like he's smart enough to change his offense to suit his talent, and he should have no shortage of good backs here at arkansas. With a more balanced approach, i think he could really shine here, and he should be able to field a decent top 60 defense each year, with occasional top 10 defense here and there. Norvell is intriguing and I appreciate the gruff tone and confidence of Malzahn, but Norvell is unproven and Malzahn has a ** offense that would need to be changed and he has arguably underachieved without elite qb play because of said offense, which tells me he's stubborn and doesn't get the most out of his available talent.

hawgball40

Quote from: pigz on November 22, 2017, 12:34:00 pm
I kinda like the Idea of Leach. He's about as weird as it gets, but shouldnt stick out too much in Fayetteville.

You must have never saw/heard bob holt give an interview.

The Kig

Rather have Venables, but of your list Leach/Gus tied for first.  Norvell 4th out of 3 options. 
Poker Porker

Deep Shoat

I HATE that list.

But Gus, if that is all the options I have.  He, at least, has learned the importance of Defense in the SEC.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Paul

The Kig

Quote from: Paul on November 22, 2017, 01:07:49 pm
Norvell-he has the most upside

Because he is the only one on the list who hasn't done ANYTHING.   Of course his upside is "potentially" bigger than known commodities.
Poker Porker

MustainMan15

1.Gus
2.Gus
3. GUS

There should be no other option. Bringing Gus home would be the best thing to happen to this program. I won't be happy with any other option.

hobhog

Quote from: MustainMan15 on November 22, 2017, 01:20:36 pm
1.Gus
2.Gus
3. GUS

There should be no other option. Bringing Gus home would be the best thing to happen to this program. I won't be happy with any other option.

Only if he wins Saturday. Don't want him run off to us. Would much more enjoy him flipping the bird to AU after wins, drops the mike and walk home.

GuvHog

Quote from: The Kig on November 22, 2017, 01:11:53 pm
Because he is the only one on the list who hasn't done ANYTHING.   Of course his upside is "potentially" bigger than known commodities.

No, Nothing except totally dominate the Division of the AAC that Memphis is in.

hawgball40

Quote from: GuvHog on November 22, 2017, 01:25:08 pm
No, Nothing except totally dominate the Division of the AAC that Memphis is in.
Its still early in his career, and honestly, who else in that league has remotely the amount of talent that Memphis has? Fuente built it, regardless of whether or not its Norvell's offense they've been running. He is still very much unproven, even by the most lenient of standards. We get that he's got a ton of upside, but experience is not a part of that.

PigInTheHole

12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

BossHawg_Outlaw

People forget Leach's defense is 11 in the nation.  Imagine what he could do with more money to get better coaches

#1 STUNNA

lol head coach experience is the most overrated thing i can think of when we choose our next coach..lol

Piggie

Quote from: MustainMan15 on November 22, 2017, 01:20:36 pm
1.Gus
2.Gus
3. GUS

I'm good with any of these three options.
It's a great day to be a Bryant Hornet!

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 22, 2017, 01:30:21 pm
Its still early in his career, and honestly, who else in that league has remotely the amount of talent that Memphis has? Fuente built it, regardless of whether or not its Norvell's offense they've been running. He is still very much unproven, even by the most lenient of standards. We get that he's got a ton of upside, but experience is not a part of that.

Once again, 13 of the Memphis Tigers 22 starters are Norvell's recruits so no, Fuente didn't build it.

ipigsooie

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 22, 2017, 01:37:55 pm
lol head coach experience is the most overrated thing i can think of when we choose our next coach..lol

I was going to say the exact same thing. Some people on here just don't get it. It seems like retreads are less successful  than up and comers. When is the last time we actually went after an up and comer? Hatfield?  I mean Lord have mercy, you'd think we would learn. We will never have a truly great coach here again because our fans and the ones doing the hiring are too scared to take a chance. Sure, let's get a guy that wins 8 games a year somewhere else. That seems safe. We will never find our Dabo or Kirby or urban if we keep kicking the tires of these "proven coaches." Funny thing is that it always turns out to be 20/20 vision in hindsight. "Well he was beating up on inferior competition in the big 10." Or "i knew he had character issues." Or "he was just hired to help out with his bankruptcy."

Take a freaking chance. When these up and comers make it big somewhere else, we are not getting another chance on them. We are possibly getting another chance on Gus (if it's not a big play for more $ and respect at auburn) for the following reasons (quoting others )  1. Can't handle the pressure 2. Was about to get fired 3. Wife wants to be closer to home  4. Can win 7 or 8 at arkansas and be safe.  5. Loses the iron bowl again and he may be ours.  Wow! Way to shoot for the moon. It's a shame and embarrassment that we want that. We really have hit rock bottom.

hogfansince79

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 22, 2017, 01:30:21 pm

Pure ignorance.

Quote from: GuvHog on November 22, 2017, 01:42:43 pm
Once again, 13 of the Memphis Tigers 22 starters are Norvell's recruits so no, Fuente didn't build it.

Yeah, and in his SMU post game presser Saturday, he said they have played 35 freshmen the last two years.  Wow.  He is currently 17–6 and 11–4 in the conference during that time.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Dwight_K_Shrute

One thing people seem to worry about MN and ML is the defense.  While their D is not top 25 their scoring margins are pretty impressive.  Memphis is top 20 outscoring opponents by 12.1.  Washington State is top 30 at 10.1.  Auburn is in the NC conversation because there is top 10 at 21.4. 

Some others worth noting
USF top 12 +18 
stAte top 16 +15,
FAU  Top 20 +14.5

hogfansince79

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 22, 2017, 02:22:02 pm
One thing people seem to worry about MN and ML is the defense.  While their D is not top 25 their scoring margins are pretty impressive.  Memphis is top 20 outscoring opponents by 12.1.  Washington State is top 30 at 10.1.  Auburn is in the NC conversation because there is top 10 at 21.4. 

Some others worth noting
USF top 12 +18 
stAte top 16 +15,
FAU  Top 20 +14.5

Hey Shrute... you have a link to that info?  I'd like to check it out.  Thanks
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 22, 2017, 02:22:02 pm

Some others worth noting
USF top 12 +18 
stAte top 16 +15,
FAU  Top 20 +14.5

interesting

OkieBack

Quote from: The Kig on November 22, 2017, 12:52:34 pm
Rather have Venables, but of your list Leach/Gus tied for first.  Norvell 4th out of 3 options.

Venables is the man.  But 80% of Arkansas fans seem intent on a retread, who can coach a high-powered offense, has HC experience, is from Arkansas, and may or may not hire a chimpanzee as the DC.  8-9 wins good enough.  Bring on the Leach!

007 License To Squeal

Of the 3 listed, I have to go with Gus due to his experience in the SEC.  However, any of the 3 would be an upgrade.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

mckinneyhog5

Have a feeling it won't be any of the three mentioned, never is.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

The_Iceman

Norvell. I just think he would be a great fit here and would turn this program around.

Qbackinman

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 22, 2017, 02:25:30 pm
Hey Shrute... you have a link to that info?  I'd like to check it out.  Thanks

Sure it's the NCAA site.  I just pasted into Excel and then lined up scoring D and scoring O then ranked the delta.

This will get you to the main page then you will see a drop down towards the upper left that let's you change what stat you want to look at.  It defaults to showing top 50 but you can drop that down to see all 129.  Nice little site.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 22, 2017, 02:44:32 pm
Norvell. I just think he would be a great fit here and would turn this program around.

Me too.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 22, 2017, 02:34:34 pm
Have a feeling it won't be any of the three mentioned, never is.

Living in the was.  That was Jeff Long's MO.  With the GOB's back in power the search will have more leaks than a porcupine in a life raft.