Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Concerns about Mike Norvell

Started by WilsonHog, November 13, 2017, 09:36:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 13, 2017, 02:41:22 pm
So all those wins at Tulsa, A State and Auburn are just figments of our imagination?  Plus what he did as OC at Arkansas?

Lets get one thing straight. What Gus did at Arkansas anyone could do. We had 3 of the best RBs this program has ever seen. I could have ran that offense.

Hawginj

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 13, 2017, 02:41:22 pm
So all those wins at Tulsa, A State and Auburn are just figments of our imagination?  Plus what he did as OC at Arkansas?
the only wins that Gus are responsible for are those as head coach. A State didn't do anything different they haven't been doing before or after Gus nor has Tulsa nor has Auburn. Gus didn't change the culture nor did he do anything that they've never done before.

riccoar

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 13, 2017, 02:59:30 pm
Lets get one thing straight. What Gus did at Arkansas anyone could do. We had 3 of the best RBs this program has ever seen. I could have ran that offense.
It's a good thing passing a drug test is not required to post on Hogville.

Hawginj

yea Bert would have won with that team.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Hawginj on November 13, 2017, 03:06:44 pm
yea Bert would have won with that team.

Doubtful.  I'm not sure about Felix, but Peyton and DMac both had a bit of an edge to them.  You think they would fit the Bielema choir boy mold to get on the field?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

WilsonHog

I'm going to be fine with Malzahn, Norvell, or about four other coaches I can think of just off the top of my head.

It's funny all of the mental gymnastics some posters will go through to prop up or tear down a coach. No objectivity at all.

Here's a tip. When engaging in intelligent discussion about our next coach, try to be as objective about it as you would be if someone asked you to be a guest on a radio show to talk about the opening at Tennessee.

Hawginj

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 13, 2017, 03:08:58 pm
Doubtful.  I'm not sure about Felix, but Peyton and DMac both had a bit of an edge to them.  You think they would fit the Bielema choir boy mold to get on the field?
well he was younger back then so who knows. I guess my point is a boob named Nutt won (term used loosely) with them so anything is possible.

Hawginj

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 03:13:52 pm
I'm going to be fine with Malzahn, Norvell, or about four other coaches I can think of just off the top of my head.

It's funny all of the mental gymnastics some posters will go through to prop up or tear down a coach. No objectivity at all.

Here's a tip. When engaging in intelligent discussion about our next coach, try to be as objective about it as you would if someone asked you to be a guest on a radio show to talk about the opening at Tennessee.
sometiemes objectivity doesnt exsist when you believe in something down to your bones Wilson I'm sure you can relate!

clutch

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 13, 2017, 03:08:58 pm

I'm not sure there's a coach alive that would keep a college DMac off the field. No matter what he did.

IronHog

Quote from: clutch on November 13, 2017, 07:08:40 pm
I'm not sure there's a coach alive that would keep a college DMac off the field. No matter what he did.

Ran this guy off.

Not DMac talent but Felix Jones type potential
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Matt Burks

Quote from: IronHog on November 14, 2017, 09:45:35 am

Ran this guy off.

Felix had a unique ability to run sideways at amazing speed. Korliss was more of a downhill type runner. The only player I saw that reminded me of Felix was Joe Adams (but Joe was a wideout - except for that one TD against Auburn where he was the running back).

Hawginj

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 13, 2017, 02:43:24 pm
I think he meant that gus, like norvell, hasnt had any rebuilding projects.
Excatly  i figured that was implied but folks want to give Gus credit as a coordinator and none to Norvell.

IronHog

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 14, 2017, 09:51:06 am

Felix had a unique ability to run sideways at amazing speed. Korliss was more of a downhill type runner. The only player I saw that reminded me of Felix was Joe Adams (but Joe was a wideout - except for that one TD against Auburn where he was the running back).

Not saying he LOOKED like Felix Jones but had similar impact potential

Never arrested, eligible.  Gone

Rumors was weed.  Who gives a rip?

SooieGeneris

Quote from: DenaoStyle on November 13, 2017, 09:49:44 am
It seems fans are so caught up in the fact that he's young, energetic...he has ties to the state, coaches nearby, etc that they overlook the fact he's a major risk. 

Less than two years head coaching experience at an already established program is very dicey.  Look at Butch Jones...he, too, had success following up a previous regime (twice). 

Norvell could be a hit or he could be a miss.  The problem is nobody can say for certain at this point in his career.  He would be a solid backup plan but should not be our primary target.

We take a chance when we get up in the morning. It could lead to the best thing that ever happened to us-or the worst.

BB was considered a "safe" hire. How's that working out?
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

hawgball40

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 13, 2017, 09:39:49 am
What would be considered an SEC-caliber coaching staff?  I remember Petrino's staff's not being that great.   I would doubt that he could hire any big name coordinators.  Maybe he could though if the price was right.  Who knows.
On the contrary, in hindsight petrino's staff look like rainman by comparison to our current staff. I always thought willie got a raw deal. His defenses were clearly in position, just weak and and physically out talented. The actual play calling was on point and the backend was equipped with heady players in the middle and backend to diagnose as needed in executing a 4-3 defense at the level required to have success against sec offenses. we just got exposed by stronger and faster teams.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgon

Amazing that fatboy sent Korliss Marshall packing.  But that is what you get when your AD guarantees you six years before you ever play a game.  You have no real urgency to win and if a player is a little extra trouble, you send him packing no matter how talented he is.

Grizzlyfan

I disagree.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Hawginj on November 13, 2017, 03:05:51 pm
the only wins that Gus are responsible for are those as head coach. A State didn't do anything different they haven't been doing before or after Gus nor has Tulsa nor has Auburn. Gus didn't change the culture nor did he do anything that they've never done before.
I disagree with this, as well.

clutch

Quote from: IronHog on November 14, 2017, 10:30:47 am

Not saying he LOOKED like Felix Jones but had similar impact potential

Never arrested, eligible.  Gone

Rumors was weed.  Who gives a rip?

I know Corliss. He ran himself off. He had multiple failures. He was given more than enough opportunities to change his ways and stay. He still hasn't changed.

Razorbackers

Quote from: IronHog on November 14, 2017, 09:45:35 am

Ran this guy off.

Are you trying to say KM was good enough to be a first round draft pick?

ballinhog

I hope whoever we hire will consider Brian Early as DC. I know he's never been a coordinator but I don't care, talk about an up and comer, I think Early is a future star. Actually I think he already is, just not well known. No risk no reward. I'm all for Early as Hog DC in 2018

Atlhogfan1

You want a concern to kick around about Norvell:

In his college coaching career as an assistant and head coach, he has faced a total of 3 SEC teams:

2012 Mizzou while OC at Az St L24-20

2015 A&M while OC at Az St L38-17

2016 Ole Miss while HC at Memphis L48-28

3 games total.  All college football isn't the same.  The SEC defensively has historically set itself apart especially in the defensive front.  Programs from other conferences can look similar:  USC, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Oh St, Texas etc.  But the SEC has more programs who have the recruiting bases and draw to get better athletes at each level of a defense than any other conference as a whole.  What worked in the Pac 12 or AAC probably won't as often in the SEC.  This will mean learning curve.

vs USC while OC at Az St

2012 L 38-17
2013 W 62-41! 
2014 W 38-34!
2015 L 42-14
At Arkansas, he'll face a minimum of 3 SECW programs who will have athletes like USC.  A&M does too they just play like females.

I'm personally okay with Norvell.  Not too excited.  But not too excited over any candidate mentioned. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Rzback

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on November 13, 2017, 09:42:46 am
It all goes back to his youth and inexperience. (I might veer off topic while i ramble about it.)

I'd rather have Fuente or Campbell (not that either is likely) than Norvell for this reason. Those guys are still young but have a bit more on their resumes.

It's also one of the reasons Malzahn was/is so appealing. Alongside his Arkansas ties is the fact that he wouldn't be blindsided by any aspect of the SEC.

One of the issues with Bielema, I think, is that he just simply had no idea what he was getting into.

Right on spot
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

IronHog

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 14, 2017, 02:51:22 pm
Are you trying to say KM was good enough to be a first round draft pick?

I'm saying he was good enough to impact games in the SEC

Hawginj

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 14, 2017, 01:52:20 pm
I disagree with this, as well.
disagree all you want the head coach is the final decision. Head coaches dictate game plans not coordinators. I'll stand by what I said 1.Gus is only responsible for wins and losses as head coach. 2. Gus has never built a team merely maintained one. 3. Gus has never changed the culture of any college team he has been a part of.

ChicoHog

Quote from: IronHog on November 15, 2017, 08:24:15 am

I'm saying he was good enough to impact games in the SEC

Did he even impact games at Eastern Illinois or wherever it was he landed?  Whatever happened to that guy? What a waste of talent.

Paul

It all goes back to his youth and inexperience. (I might veer off topic while i ramble about it.)

I'd rather have Fuente or Campbell (not that either is likely) than Norvell for this reason. Those guys are still young but have a bit more on their resumes.

It's also one of the reasons Malzahn was/is so appealing. Alongside his Arkansas ties is the fact that he wouldn't be blindsided by any aspect of the SEC.

One of the issues with Bielema, I think, is that he just simply had no idea what he was getting into.
Plenty of inexperienced coaches have succeeded at P5 jobs withlittle to no HC experience including Fuente, Swinney & Frost.  Memphis boosters like Norvell better than Fuente.  Fuente & Campbell are unrealistic choices though I'd be happy with either.  My doubts on Gus relate to his mediocre record at Auburn with top 10 recruiting classes that he won't approach here whereas the other 3 has had success on the field with limited talent. 

Pecos Hog

Quote from: dhizzle on November 13, 2017, 09:55:18 am
He's from Texas. I can't have a head coach from Texas.

HS Football is some serious stuff down here.   

claytongray

It seems fans are so caught up in the fact that he's young, energetic...he has ties to the state, coaches nearby, etc that they overlook the fact he's a major risk. 

Less than two years head coaching experience at an already established program is very dicey.  Look at Butch Jones...he, too, had success following up a previous regime (twice). 

Norvell could be a hit or he could be a miss.  The problem is nobody can say for certain at this point in his career.  He would be a solid backup plan but should not be our primary target.
Completely agree.

claytongray

Excellent post.

ipigsooie

How is this anymore of a risk than a guy that is at  a p5 program like Gus?  Look at the situation we are in right now. The buyout is unreal. You think it's bad with CBB, look around. Buyouts are out of control. If we hire one of these guys we will be looking at a buyout north of 15 million bucks. We are also paying JL 5 million to leave. You think norvell is going to get a figure like this? You miss with another guy like CBB and it will hurt BAD! Not to mention paying the guy over 5 mill a year plus his staff. His dc makes over 1.2 million a year. You could get Norvell for 3 to 3.5.  The risk is way less with an up and comer than with another coach at a p5 school. If we miss again with another big name coach and we will be in the situation Tennessee is in, except with less income. Im no expert on risk, but id say the risk with gus or another guy at a p5 school is much higher.

clutch

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 15, 2017, 11:20:56 am
Did he even impact games at Eastern Illinois or wherever it was he landed?  Whatever happened to that guy? What a waste of talent.

Pretty much in the dog house constantly there too.

BoogaHog

Quote from: dhizzle on November 13, 2017, 09:55:18 am
He's from Texas. I can't have a head coach from Texas.

Historically, 40% of Razorbacks are from Texas (at least when we had great teams) and so is about 35% of our student body.  Did you graduate from the University?  Half the dam alumni base is from Texas.  The problem is recruiting podunk high schools in Arkansas that are not private.