Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Concerns about Mike Norvell

Started by WilsonHog, November 13, 2017, 09:36:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Maybe concerns should be singular, because I may just have one.

Is is network strong enough that he can put together a quality coaching staff?

I get the positives - young, energetic guy with a bright offensive mind who wants the job. Driven enough to prove himself even after he lands his dream job.

But can he put together a SEC-caliber coaching staff?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 09:36:13 am

I get the positives - young, energetic guy with a bright offensive mind who wants the job. Driven enough to prove himself even after he lands his dream job.

So we shouldn't hire any up and comer.

ipigsooie

The good thing about all of the turnover in the sec this year is that there will be a lot of available coordinators. Chavis and Shannon are 2 really good defensive coordinators that will be available.

ThisTeetsTaken

What would be considered an SEC-caliber coaching staff?  I remember Petrino's staff's not being that great.   I would doubt that he could hire any big name coordinators.  Maybe he could though if the price was right.  Who knows. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

WilsonHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 13, 2017, 09:38:38 am
So we shouldn't hire any up and comer.

Well, I don't think that is correct, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Razorback de Nosferatu

It all goes back to his youth and inexperience. (I might veer off topic while i ramble about it.)

I'd rather have Fuente or Campbell (not that either is likely) than Norvell for this reason. Those guys are still young but have a bit more on their resumes.

It's also one of the reasons Malzahn was/is so appealing. Alongside his Arkansas ties is the fact that he wouldn't be blindsided by any aspect of the SEC.

One of the issues with Bielema, I think, is that he just simply had no idea what he was getting into.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 09:42:07 am
Well, I don't think that is correct, but you're entitled to your opinion.

No. Not what I'm saying. I'd love to have Norvell or Brown (Troy). But what up and coming coach is going to be able to put together an SEC caliber coaching staff?

HF#1

Mixed in with Wilson's point is the question of can he get a DC that can get us competitive again? Norvell is good offensive mind but defense is what is needed against teams in the SEC West.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

DenaoStyle

It seems fans are so caught up in the fact that he's young, energetic...he has ties to the state, coaches nearby, etc that they overlook the fact he's a major risk. 

Less than two years head coaching experience at an already established program is very dicey.  Look at Butch Jones...he, too, had success following up a previous regime (twice). 

Norvell could be a hit or he could be a miss.  The problem is nobody can say for certain at this point in his career.  He would be a solid backup plan but should not be our primary target.

parallaxpig

Quote from: HF#1 on November 13, 2017, 09:47:31 am
Mixed in with Wilson's point is the question of can he get a DC that can get us competitive again? Norvell is good offensive mind but defense is what is needed against teams in the SEC West.

You start recruiting SEC caliber athletes and even Rob Smith would be successful.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

dhizzle

He's from Texas. I can't have a head coach from Texas.

HF#1

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 13, 2017, 09:53:40 am
You start recruiting SEC caliber athletes and even Rob Smith would be successful.

Kind of. There are 2 different kinds of SEC caliber players. There is what Alabama/Georgia/Florida gets and then there are what everyone else gets. Arkansas is down on that list. So, you need coaches to develop them.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Dwight_K_Shrute

$'s can bring in a good staff, along with knowing you are starting fresh with a 5 year honeymoon period, and yes there will be a lot of assistant movement this year.

Also you don't need a room full of grizzled vets with 10+ years P5 experience.  Get a good mix of young and old.  There are some outstanding coordinators and assistants at the G5 level and many are responsible for making the PJ's, Brohms, Fuente's, etc look good and get that next job.

Take Fuente for example.  Of his 9 assistants, 6 of them had a total of 7 years P5 experience before he arrived at VaTech.  3 out of the six had 0 years.  3 assistants have 10+ years P5 experience.  2 of those were Beamer holdovers Bud Foster and the Dline coach.  The 3rd assistant with 10+ years P5 experience:  Hogville Favorite James Shibest.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hawginj

Quote from: DenaoStyle on November 13, 2017, 09:49:44 am
It seems fans are so caught up in the fact that he's young, energetic...he has ties to the state, coaches nearby, etc that they overlook the fact he's a major risk. 

Less than two years head coaching experience at an already established program is very dicey.  Look at Butch Jones...he, too, had success following up a previous regime (twice). 

Norvell could be a hit or he could be a miss.  The problem is nobody can say for certain at this point in his career.  He would be a solid backup plan but should not be our primary target.
Is Fuente having any problems at Va  Tech? I see you used Butch as example you do know he was head coach at 2 other programs right? For every bad example I can give you a great one having a young head coach is in no way any higher risk then having an established one.

ricepig

None whatsoever.......he'll put together a good staff, hopefully a couple of quality recruiters.

Hawginj

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2017, 10:07:27 am
None whatsoever.......he'll put together a good staff, hopefully a couple of quality recruiters.
Dilly Dilly!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on November 13, 2017, 09:47:31 am

Honestly if Norvell gets the job, I could see him keeping Enos as OC-QB coach and bring in someone like Chavis as DC if  Sumlin is axed at A&M.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

dhizzle

I say take a chance on him. Hell Jeff Long tried an established coach and it hasn't worked out for him. Might as well try an up and comer with ties to Texas and Arkansas.

ipigsooie

Quote from: GuvHog on November 13, 2017, 10:12:19 am
Honestly if Norvell gets the job, I could see him keeping Enos as OC-QB coach and bring in someone like Chavis as DC if  Sumlin is axed at A&M.

Chavis won't be cheap but he would be an awesome hire. I wouldn't be surprised if he kept enos.  He kept Darrel dickey at memphis. I'm not sure if enos would want to stay. It seems like with norvell the oc is more of a title and less of a position.  I'm sure norvell will be the real oc.

Atlhogfan1

Maybe MN would hire Todd Graham as DC after he is canned  :)

I think there would be a learning curve with Norvell.  Figuring out the level of staff he needs for the SEC would just be one part of it.

Chavis would be a fool to take the DC job at Arkansas.  Plus I doubt he would make much difference. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HF#1

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 13, 2017, 10:17:43 am
Chavis won't be cheap but he would be an awesome hire. I wouldn't be surprised if he kept enos.  He kept Darrel dickey at memphis. I'm not sure if enos would want to stay. It seems like with norvell the oc is more of a title and less of a position.  I'm sure norvell will be the real oc.

Enos would be the only one I would vote to stay. I think he is great offensive guy that is being held back by a big bumbling idiot.

ricepig

Chavis makes around $1.7m at aTm, he's not worth the money any more.

ipigsooie

Quote from: HF#1 on November 13, 2017, 10:18:27 am
Enos would be the only one I would vote to stay. I think he is great offensive guy that is being held back by a big bumbling idiot.

I agree. But I also think he would keep lunney. The kid is a hell of a recruiter for these in state kids.

HF#1

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2017, 10:19:22 am

I thought the same. He's not worth what he was pre- A&M.

HF#1

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 13, 2017, 10:19:38 am
I agree. But I also think he would keep lunney. The kid is a hell of a recruiter for these in state kids.

I like Lunney.

WilsonHog

Norvell's current defensive coordinator is Chris Ball. This is his second year at Memphis. He's an experienced DC, but all in the PAC-12 (four years at Washington State and three years at Arizona State, both as a co-DC). He has some SEC experience, as a DB coach at Alabama from 2004-2006.

His offensive coordinator is Darrell Dickey. Pretty much all of his coaching experience, including nine years as the head coach at North Texas, has been in Texas and in SEC states. His teams won four conference titles in the Sun Belt. Looks like Justin Fuente brought him to Memphis and Norvell retained him.

hoghiker

Honest question. Would Norvell pick Arkansas over Ole Miss (if, and this is a big if, the NCAA doesn't sledge hammer slam the program)?

ipigsooie

Quote from: hoghiker on November 13, 2017, 10:29:30 am
Honest question. Would Norvell pick Arkansas over Ole Miss (if, and this is a big if the NCAA doesn't clabbler slam the program)?

Yes. It has been widely reported that he wants our job.  I've also heard that he wouldn't even take the om job. He would probably wait another year on a better job.

IronHog

BB has a massive network and his staff has gone down in quality the past few seasons....
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

navyhog24

Quote from: hoghiker on November 13, 2017, 10:29:30 am
Honest question. Would Norvell pick Arkansas over Ole Miss (if, and this is a big if, the NCAA doesn't sledge hammer slam the program)?

Not sure if serious....

DenaoStyle

Quote from: Hawginj on November 13, 2017, 10:02:46 am
Is Fuente having any problems at Va  Tech? I see you used Butch as example you do know he was head coach at 2 other programs right? For every bad example I can give you a great one having a young head coach is in no way any higher risk then having an established one.

Butch Jones inherited two programs built up by Brian Kelly.  He could not build Tennessee.  We need someone who can build a program.  Norvell has shown he can sustain an already built program.  He has not shown the ability to build a program.

ChicoHog

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 13, 2017, 09:53:40 am
That is the number 1 key.  Recruiting!

ChicoHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 10:27:52 am
Norvell's current defensive coordinator is Chris Ball. This is his second year at Memphis. He's an experienced DC, but all in the PAC-12 (four years at Washington State and three years at Arizona State, both as a co-DC). He has some SEC experience, as a DB coach at Alabama from 2004-2006.

His offensive coordinator is Darrell Dickey. Pretty much all of his coaching experience, including nine years as the head coach at North Texas, has been in Texas and in SEC states. His teams won four conference titles in the Sun Belt. Looks like Justin Fuente brought him to Memphis and Norvell retained him.
His OC last year was Chip Long who Brian kelly hired at ND this season. he has done a great job there.  Not sure if he was with Fuente at memphis before that. 

The Boar War

Our AD (whether its a hamstrung Jeff Long or no AD at all) is going to have a huge impact on if an up and comer can assemble an experienced staff.

Paul

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 13, 2017, 11:28:12 am
His OC last year was Chip Long who Brian kelly hired at ND this season. he has done a great job there.  Not sure if he was with Fuente at memphis before that.
Chip Long was a GA at Louisville & Arkansas. He was the OC at Memphis last year after following Norvell from Ariz St. Offense hasn't missed a beat so. I think it's fair to assume Norvell is in complete control of the offense like BP was

RazorPiggie

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 13, 2017, 11:28:12 am

Chip was a GA here.     

Pork Ranger

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2017, 10:19:22 am

Agreed

HoopS

This was one of the concerns some had last time we were about to hire a similar coach.

Hawginj

Quote from: DenaoStyle on November 13, 2017, 11:17:43 am
Butch Jones inherited two programs built up by Brian Kelly.  He could not build Tennessee.  We need someone who can build a program.  Norvell has shown he can sustain an already built program.  He has not shown the ability to build a program.
what program has Gus built? Arkansas, no, Tulsa, nope, A State, try again, Auburn not even close so why is Gus so important if he's done the same thing Norvell is doing?

Gonzo

Quote from: DenaoStyle on November 13, 2017, 09:49:44 am

There is no coach that is not a risk. The current Hog HC probably had the best credentials ever for a Hog hire and most thought he would do very well here. Every possible new coach could be a hit or a miss. That's not to say I think he should be the one before all others, don't know enough about the legitimate available pool, just that I don't think being a risk should be that big a factor since all of them are.

Go Hogs!

HF#1

Quote from: Gonzo on November 13, 2017, 01:38:06 pm
There is no coach that is not a risk. The current Hog HC probably had the best credentials ever for a Hog hire and most thought he would do very well here. Every possible new coach could be a hit or a miss. That's not to say I think he should be the one before all others, don't know enough about the legitimate available pool, just that I don't think being a risk should be that big a factor since all of them are.

Go Hogs!

Bielema was a risk to those asking why he really left Wisconsin. I still do not believe the reason he gave everyone.

Matt Burks

Quote from: HF#1 on November 13, 2017, 01:39:00 pm
Bielema was a risk to those asking why he really left Wisconsin. I still do not believe the reason he gave everyone.
And yet it's unreasonable to question why Gus would leave Auburn?

Hawg414

here's my thought process on this issue.  and it may be foolish, i dunno.  but if you are going to put your faith in Norvell as a head coach, then you have to also put your faith in his ability to pick capable assistants.

it is doubtful he has ties with any old-timer, "name" assistants... like Sam Pittman or John Chavis, etc.  however, the game has changed quite a bit over the last 10 years.  and it was during these 10 years that Norvell's philosophy and style were being formed.  it is likely he is best aware of his own peers who were coming about during this same time.  so while it is doubtful he lacks the connections for a Chavis DC or Lane Kiffin OC, it's likely he knows better than most who the next Chavis may be.  he knows who the other Mike Norvells are.

Gonzo

Quote from: HF#1 on November 13, 2017, 01:39:00 pm

That's the point. He had probably the best resume for a new Hog HC and he was clearly not without risk.

Go Hogs!

clutch

Quote from: Hawg414 on November 13, 2017, 01:46:58 pm
here's my thought process on this issue.  and it may be foolish, i dunno.  but if you are going to put your faith in Norvell as a head coach, then you have to also put your faith in his ability to pick capable assistants.

it is doubtful he has ties with any old-timer, "name" assistants... like Sam Pittman or John Chavis, etc.  however, the game has changed quite a bit over the last 10 years.  and it was during these 10 years that Norvell's philosophy and style were being formed.  it is likely he is best aware of his own peers who were coming about during this same time.  so while it is doubtful he lacks the connections for a Chavis DC or Lane Kiffin OC, it's likely he knows better than most who the next Chavis may be.  he knows who the other Mike Norvells are.

Exactly, just as there's up and coming HC's, there are up and coming Coordinators. These guys know each other. The coaching community is small. It gets even smaller when you start narrowing it down into like minded groups. These guys talk, meet, share philosophies. I can guarantee you he has a list in his head of who his first few calls will be when he lands a big time gig.

ChicoHog

November 13, 2017, 02:05:01 pm #46 Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:53:48 pm by ChicoHog
I'd talk to the DC at Wazzu.  Can't remember his name but I think he is from the Mt. Union coaching tree(Ohio small college power) that produced Matt Campbell and Jason Candle.  Mike Leach's teams have never played defense until he hired this guy.  Now they are pretty respectable. 

Hawginj

Quote from: Hawg414 on November 13, 2017, 01:46:58 pm

Great post and very true, sad part is not too many fans watch other teams and they only know names hence if it isn't a name it can't be good.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Hawginj on November 13, 2017, 01:25:34 pm
what program has Gus built? Arkansas, no, Tulsa, nope, A State, try again, Auburn not even close so why is Gus so important if he's done the same thing Norvell is doing?
So all those wins at Tulsa, A State and Auburn are just figments of our imagination?  Plus what he did as OC at Arkansas?

ipigsooie

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 13, 2017, 02:41:22 pm
So all those wins at Tulsa, A State and Auburn are just figments of our imagination?  Plus what he did as OC at Arkansas?

I think he meant that gus, like norvell, hasnt had any rebuilding projects.