Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norvell to Gators?

Started by Paul, October 30, 2017, 01:07:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Darren Heiter tweeted that Norvell is clear leader for FL job.  Now says Willie Taggart could be
we better get a move on:    https://twitter.com/DarrenHeitner/status/924406440990793728

factchecker

QuoteSorry, that page doesn't exist!
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Paul

Tusks

I really think Mullen is the next HC at Florida.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

AirWarren

Norvell was never coming here.

Marshfieldhog

Be our luck. Jeff Long will find a way to screw things up. Probably end up with Les Miles or Paul Rhoads

sickboy

I doubt Norvell ends up at Florida.

Redhogs

Quote from: AP85 on October 30, 2017, 01:16:19 pm
Norvell was never coming here.
Except he said we were his dream job..been posted several times on Hogville. Don't know if true but I do know it's as accurate as you posting he is never coming here.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Mullen not going to Florida.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HawgTide

Quote from: sickboy on October 30, 2017, 01:17:14 pm
I doubt Norvell ends up at Florida.

Norvell is probably way down Florida's list

EastexHawg

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on October 30, 2017, 01:16:44 pm
Be our luck. Jeff Long will find a way to screw things up.

Ah, yes.  Putting our football fortunes for the next 5-10 years in Jeff Long's hands.  We need to add that to the DirecTV commercial about the guy banging his head against a beam and the lady getting the paper cut on her tongue.  His last several years of work haven't been painful enough, and if there is one thing we seem to like it is misery.

Tusks

I think the entry schools into the SEC for Norvell are AR, OMU, MSU, MO, maybe Auburn.  Don't see him looking at a Vandy or KY. 

For where he is now, I think FL is out of reach.  TN is the wild card.  I don't see them taking the risk but I might be wrong.  Doesn't mean that's the right decision, cause I'd love to give him a chance as the hogs coach.

I see hog fans as more than willing to try Norvell on the hill than I read TN fans willing to have Norvell on the river in Knoxville.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

The Hawg Marshal

I'd love to give Norvell a shot. That being said I doubt that it happens. But I can hope.

HoggyCat

Arkansas does NOT have a coaching vacancy.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 30, 2017, 01:35:52 pm
Ah, yes.  Putting our football fortunes for the next 5-10 years in Jeff Long's hands.  We need to add that to the DirecTV commercial about the guy banging his head against a beam and the lady getting the paper cut on her tongue.  His last several years of work haven't been painful enough, and if there is one thing we seem to like it is misery.

So lets fire em both, then who gets to hire the new head football coach? A committee? Yea, that worked great in the past. An interim AD? The BOT?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HoggyCat

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on October 30, 2017, 01:33:29 pm
Most sources that I've been reading (on yahoo.com) feels very strongly that either Mullen or Frost.   They think Frost is in the equation because he wants to win early and Nebraska would be a harder job, Mullen is pretty easy to figure.  The other person that was mentioned was Kelly (as in most cases) but Florida would rather have Mullen or Frost.

Could all this be a smoke screen to their real intentions?

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-rule-may-explain-tennessee-florida-dont-appear-interested-chip-kelly/
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on October 30, 2017, 01:16:44 pm
Be our luck. Jeff Long will find a way to screw things up. Probably end up with Les Miles or Paul Rhoads

Or Skip Holtz or Jim Grobe.

Miles, Rhoads, Holtz, or Grobe would be a Jeff Long type of hire.

RexMentor

Mullen is the front runner now, according to most stories. He's coached at Fla before and the Fla. AD came from Mississippi State.

rhames

Quote from: RexMentor on October 30, 2017, 02:00:21 pm
Mullen is the front runner now, according to most stories. He's coached at Fla before and the Fla. AD came from Mississippi State.

Don't they hate each other though?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

gchamblee

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 30, 2017, 01:56:32 pm

Football coaches hired by Jeff Long

1. Bobby Petrino
2. Bret Bielema
3. ?

I think he has done pretty well even though CBB hasn't worked out.

rhames

Quote from: gchamblee on October 30, 2017, 02:09:10 pm

1. Bobby Petrino
2. Bret Bielema
3. ?

Get out of here with those facts.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Redhogs on October 30, 2017, 01:25:54 pm
Except he said we were his dream job..been posted several times on Hogville. Don't know if true but I do know it's as accurate as you posting he is never coming here.

I've still never seen a link to that.

hawgon

1. Bobby Petrino
2. Bret Bielema
3. ?

Dave Wannstadt and John L. Smith

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2017, 01:50:20 pm
So lets fire em both, then who gets to hire the new head football coach? A committee? Yea, that worked great in the past. An interim AD? The BOT?

No, the new AD...who can actually be trusted, as opposed to the BOT having to hold his hand like a toddler beside a railroad track to ensure we don't have another disaster like the last two.

The Hawg Marshal

1. Bobby Petrino
2. Bret Bielema
3. ?

Yeah that's not a bad looking list and if Bret had worked out it would really look impressive. I think most people are concerned after hearing he was offering the job to Grobe and Tommy Bowden before Petrino was dropped in his lap. I hope he makes a good hire, because
all I can do is hope.

factchecker

Quote from: hawgon on October 30, 2017, 02:15:23 pm

So he hired 2 former NFL coaches and 2 former head coaches from the BIG 10.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

EastexHawg

You forgot Jim Grobe.  And...he offered Tommy Bowden.

Stevie Wonder would do as well throwing darts at a board with names on it...in a hurricane.

rhames

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 30, 2017, 02:16:14 pm
Yeah that's not a bad looking list and if Bret had worked out it would really look impressive. I think most people are concerned after hearing he was offering the job to Grobe and Tommy Bowden before Petrino was dropped in his lap. I hope he makes a good hire, because
all I can do is hope.

While I'm glad we didn't end up with either, context is never provided on what those coaches looked like at the time.

They wouldn't have been viewed as horrible hires.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: rhames on October 30, 2017, 02:18:16 pm

While I'm glad we didn't end up with either, context is never provided on what those coaches looked like at the time.

They wouldn't have been viewed as horrible hires.
On that we'll have to agree to disagree. lol

007 License To Squeal

1. Bobby Petrino
2. Bret Bielema
3. ?

You conveniently forgot one......
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

ur

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 30, 2017, 01:56:32 pm

Or Greg Schiano

DeltaBoy

Fla a dumpster fire .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

The names that I've most batted about are Kelly, Mullen and Frost. With the SEC requirement to "buy off" on any coach that's been involved in compliance problems the idea that Chip would be the most viable is most certainly lessened. With Mullen's proven success at MSU he would seem to be the logical choice, however, there seems to have been some past "bad blood" when he as an assistant with some of the potential members of those who might be most involved in the final decision. Frost, while not yet proven at a UF level program, is obviously one the hot "up-and-comers" in the NCAA coaching ranks. While mentioned as a likely candidate to return to his alma mater Nebraska, if Florida came calling it might be very difficult for him to turn down.

Razorbackers

Florida assuredly already has someone who has agreed to come in and be the HC, because you don't get a guy that won 2 SEC east titles to resign and not have a coach in line. WHO WOULD WANT THAT? Muschamp is doing better at USCE and Mac has two east titles under his belt. Like...what are their expectations? How could you possibly meet them?

gchamblee

He didn't hire Dave at Arkansas and John was an interim hired in April. Twist it how you want but my list was factually accurate. Your post just screams about your dishonesty.

hogfooey

Willie Taggart might be an option as well

https://twitter.com/DarrenHeitner/status/925042629393440771?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.saturdaydownsouth.com%2Fflorida-football%2Freport-florida-contacted-willie-taggart-head-coaching-job%2F
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: gchamblee on October 30, 2017, 02:28:03 pm
He didn't hire Dave at Arkansas and John was an interim hired in April. Twist it how you want but my list was factually accurate. Your post just screams about your dishonesty.

You are wasting your time.  You are wrong.  Just own it....

gchamblee

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on October 30, 2017, 02:19:07 pm
You conveniently forgot one......

No I didn't. John L wasn't hired to be our coach. He was offered the opportunity to audition for the job while an interim, but did not get the job. If all your vast football knowledge can muster up is that John was auditioning for a job he already had, you should do some more reading.

gchamblee

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on October 30, 2017, 02:33:19 pm
You are wasting your time.  You are wrong.  Just own it....

When an idiot tells me I am wrong it reinforces my confidence in what I posted.

hogfan98

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 30, 2017, 02:23:45 pm
Fla a dumpster fire .

I don't think Florida can ever be a dumpster fire.  But if it is, it's one where you look at it and say "I could make a damn good s'more with that fire."

007 License To Squeal

Hog Ziggler

Hey guys. I live in Memphis and have a kid going to school there and It's a known secret that Norvell has said the Razorbacks is his dream job so I have no doubt that he would choose us if given the chance.

HardCore

Quote from: Hog Ziggler on October 30, 2017, 02:57:37 pm
Hey guys. I live in Memphis and have a kid going to school there and It's a known secret that Norvell has said the Razorbacks is his dream job so I have no doubt that he would choose us if given the chance.

Got to be offered that chance first
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

ur

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 30, 2017, 02:23:45 pm
Fla a dumpster fire .
Mizzou favored by 3.5 over Florida. Hard to believe.

Calling All Hogs

Arkansas is a better job than Florida. We have an AD that gives out five year passes and declares you ahead of schedule even if you go winless in the SEC your first year. At Florida you got to win two division titles just to make it to year three.

farmhawg

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 30, 2017, 01:48:44 pm
Arkansas does NOT have a coaching vacancy.
You poor thing.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hogfansince79

Quote from: Hog Ziggler on October 30, 2017, 02:57:37 pm

I hope so.  Thanks for the heads up, Mike.    :)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Atlhogfan1

Mullen not easy to deal with.  But the Florida AD knows him.

Frost would make a lot of sense.  Already has started building in state connections.  And he should obviously want this job over Nebraska. 

If Norvell chose Arkansas over Florida, I would see him as dumber than Bielema leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogfansince79

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 30, 2017, 04:00:17 pm
Mullen not easy to deal with.  But the Florida AD knows him.

Frost would make a lot of sense.  Already has started building in state connections.  And he should obviously want this job over Nebraska. 

If Norvell chose Arkansas over Florida, I would see him as dumber than Bielema leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas. 

It's not always about which job is better, but which job is the better fit.

If Norvell is from Texas, and has recruited more Texas kids (someone posted this the other day - don't know if true or not) to his Memphis team than is on our team, why go to Florida?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

hawgon

Florida doesn't pay that much more than Arkansas and is going to hire their third coach in the last five of six
years.  Tell me which job is better again?