Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do these officials

Started by hogville38, April 06, 2015, 10:17:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 06, 2015, 11:55:22 pm
That's not cheating.  That's an art form.

Gamesmanship.  I like that term.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

The Duke foul trouble may have helped them some as it turns out.  Duke got smaller and quicker and it bothered Wisconsin while they made their run.  Okafor wasn't playing well missing easy shots.  Looked like Frank was in his head.  By the time Winslow returned and Okafor came back and contributed, Jefferson and Jones on defense and Allen on offense had changed the game. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GolfNut57

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 07, 2015, 12:07:12 am
The Duke foul trouble may have helped them some as it turns out.  Duke got smaller and quicker and it bothered Wisconsin while they made their run.  Okafor wasn't playing well missing easy shots.  Looked like Frank was in his head.  By the time Winslow returned and Okafor came back and contributed, Jefferson and Jones on defense and Allen on offense had changed the game.

Okafor is so bad with FTs that during that last timeout with 43 secs left I would have pulled him off the floor because you knew Wisky was going to resort to fouling with a 3 point lead for Duke.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 07, 2015, 12:14:01 am
Okafor is so bad with FTs that during that last timeout with 43 secs left I would have pulled him off the floor because you knew Wisky was going to resort to fouling with a 3 point lead for Duke.

Have to consider it in that situation.  This generation's hack a Shaq. 

Westcoasthog

Arkansas had to play Duke in the State of North Carolina for the National Championship in which Arkansas beat Duke  for the National Championship
with Nolan Richardson as the coach, and Scotty Thurman made the winning shot.

Westcoasthog

Arkansas beat Duke for the National Championship in 1994 in the State of North Carolina at Charlotte, North Carolina.  Scotty Thurman made the basket that won Arkansas the National Championship 76-72.  Nolan Richardson was the coach at Arkansas, and Mike Krzyzewski is the same coach at Duke that won the 2015 National Champion that is still at Duke that beat Wisconsin 68 to 63 to win the National Championship for Duke in 2015.   

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogville38 on April 07, 2015, 01:41:19 am
I honestly don't think you were watching the game. I don't care about either team but this crap of officials protecting teams is out of control. Say what you want but it happens, it did happen and it happens in every sport.

Yeah, it does. Just ask forrest city joe about Alabama football... ;)
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: N HOG on April 06, 2015, 11:15:50 pm
Jay Bilas now telling us officiating was fine!!

Of course he did. He's a Duke alum...lol
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: steefhog on April 06, 2015, 10:44:34 pm
At one point, a Badger's jaw fowled a Devil's elbow.

Excellent, I was thinking the same thing last night.
This is my non-signature signature.

hogsanity

Officiating is the only job where you are expected to be perfect your first day, THEN IMPROVE.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogfaniam

They need to go to four for the tournament.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogfaniam on April 07, 2015, 08:05:24 am
They need to go to four for the tournament.

Oh heck no. Officiating went downhill when they went to three.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogfaniam

Quote from: hogsanity on April 07, 2015, 08:12:01 am
Oh heck no. Officiating went downhill when they went to three.

Officiating went down hill when TV started televising every game.  In other words, it's as bad as it's always been.  There are just more witnesses now.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Corkscrew Johnson

Screw the fouls.  That dude clearly stepped out of bounds in the most pivotal possession of the game. 

latrops

I thought the game was poorly officiated, especially the 2nd half.  That said, there were only a couple of truly egregious calls...both times with Winslow and out of bounds calls/non calls.  I hate that those calls are made, but that's not really the reason Wisconsin lost.  Sure, bad calls contribute, but ultimately Dekker's offensive struggles (0-6 from three) and Duke's supporting cast stepping up that won it for Duke.  Okafor and Winslow really didn't do a whole lot.  Wisconsin, in part due to foul trouble, was able to basically take away Duke's top 2 options.  Duke won it because Tyus Jones and Grayson Allen stepped up and carried the offense.  Wisconsin got a typically strong performance from Kaminsky, but nobody else really played a very good game offensively.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: latrops on April 07, 2015, 08:43:55 am
I thought the game was poorly officiated, especially the 2nd half.  That said, there were only a couple of truly egregious calls...both times with Winslow and out of bounds calls/non calls.  I hate that those calls are made, but that's not really the reason Wisconsin lost.  Sure, bad calls contribute, but ultimately Dekker's offensive struggles (0-6 from three) and Duke's supporting cast stepping up that won it for Duke.  Okafor and Winslow really didn't do a whole lot.  Wisconsin, in part due to foul trouble, was able to basically take away Duke's top 2 options.  Duke won it because Tyus Jones and Grayson Allen stepped up and carried the offense.  Wisconsin got a typically strong performance from Kaminsky, but nobody else really played a very good game offensively.
+1 officiating did not determine the outcome of this game! Coach K probably earned a couple calls in the 2nd half by working the officials. The out of bounds on Winslow if the official had seen it, would have been whistled as a foul for a push, he couldn't see the foot for trying to decide if he needed to call a foul or let it go from the body contact. There a ton of fouls that go uncalled in most every game outside of the SEC anyway. Most officials try to avoid the whistles that do not affect the game, that is why you see many times bumps and or a carry, or travel 30 feet from the basket go uncalled. Some are called but not every one.

azhog10

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 07, 2015, 08:59:24 am
+1 officiating did not determine the outcome of this game! Coach K probably earned a couple calls in the 2nd half by working the officials. The out of bounds on Winslow if the official had seen it, would have been whistled as a foul for a push, he couldn't see the foot for trying to decide if he needed to call a foul or let it go from the body contact. There a ton of fouls that go uncalled in most every game outside of the SEC anyway. Most officials try to avoid the whistles that do not affect the game, that is why you see many times bumps and or a carry, or travel 30 feet from the basket go uncalled. Some are called but not every one.
You can't not call a foul on the defense just because a guy stepped out of bounds. You call the foul, or you call the out of bounds. Deciding to swallow your whistle after you decided to come out in the 2nd half and call it tight on only one end makes no sense. I get that officials are going to miss calls. I felt even though Wisconsin had few fouls called against them, for Duke they were all shooting fouls. Wisconsin got very few shooting fouls and that showed in the discrepancy of FT's attempted. I thought Duke got the better end of the calls against MSU and also got the better end of the calls against Wisconsin. All that said, I don't think Wisconsin did a good job of getting the ball to Frank when Winslow and Okafor got in foul trouble. I think that's on Bo Ryan and his team. Dekker had a poor shooting game, but I felt Duke got away with a lot of holding on Dekker. Jones made some clutch shots down the stretch but Wisconsin had a chance to get it to 1 possession and the out of bounds call resulted in a three by Duke.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: azhog10 on April 07, 2015, 09:38:13 am
You can't not call a foul on the defense just because a guy stepped out of bounds. You call the foul, or you call the out of bounds. Deciding to swallow your whistle after you decided to come out in the 2nd half and call it tight on only one end makes no sense. I get that officials are going to miss calls. I felt even though Wisconsin had few fouls called against them, for Duke they were all shooting fouls. Wisconsin got very few shooting fouls and that showed in the discrepancy of FT's attempted. I thought Duke got the better end of the calls against MSU and also got the better end of the calls against Wisconsin. All that said, I don't think Wisconsin did a good job of getting the ball to Frank when Winslow and Okafor got in foul trouble. I think that's on Bo Ryan and his team. Dekker had a poor shooting game, but I felt Duke got away with a lot of holding on Dekker. Jones made some clutch shots down the stretch but Wisconsin had a chance to get it to 1 possession and the out of bounds call resulted in a three by Duke.
I am just telling you as an official, you don't call every thing that you see, especially if you feel it did not impact the play or possesion, and I guarantee the baseline official missed the foot because of the bump on the body, and the hands had his attention. If he see's the foot he calls the foul. Most times the reason you see "late" whistles.

Wiscy lost because Dekker was horrible, and Koenig and Jackson tried to do too much. They tried to be Grayson Allen and they were not.

azhog10

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 07, 2015, 11:00:57 am
I am just telling you as an official, you don't call every thing that you see, especially if you feel it did not impact the play or possesion, and I guarantee the baseline official missed the foot because of the bump on the body, and the hands had his attention. If he see's the foot he calls the foul. Most times the reason you see "late" whistles.

Wiscy lost because Dekker was horrible, and Koenig and Jackson tried to do too much. They tried to be Grayson Allen and they were not.
How can an official decide if stepping on the out of bounds line won't impact the the play or possession? It clearly did as Duke ended up with an and 1. That logic makes little to no sense, but in my times as a coach, that's not uncommon. Many officials don't make sense. It's a hard game to officiate but to imply that he didn't call the out of bounds because the guy really got fouled makes no sense. You see a lot of officials play it like soccer. They allow the player a step to see if the foul didn't impact him but as soon as he stepped out of bounds it either should have been out of bounds or a foul. So clearly by your logic, the foul did impact the play as Winslow stepped out of bounds. Either way he missed a call and one could make an arguement for both teams. The ref should have blown his whistle regardless.

Also, I'm not saying Wisconsin would have won if the officials did their job. I'm saying that we just don't know how it would have panned out.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: azhog10 on April 07, 2015, 11:04:56 am
How can an official decide if stepping on the out of bounds line won't impact the the play or possession? It clearly did as Duke ended up with an and 1. That logic makes little to no sense, but in my times as a coach, that's not uncommon. Many officials don't make sense. It's a hard game to officiate but to imply that he didn't call the out of bounds because the guy really got fouled makes no sense. You see a lot of officials play it like soccer. They allow the player a step to see if the foul didn't impact him but as soon as he stepped out of bounds it either should have been out of bounds or a foul. So clearly by your logic, the foul did impact the play as Winslow stepped out of bounds. Either way he missed a call and one could make an arguement for both teams. The ref should have blown his whistle regardless.

Also, I'm not saying Wisconsin would have won if the officials did their job. I'm saying that we just don't know how it would have panned out.
ur right on what I am saying, he didn't see the foot because it was close to him and his attention was on the body. If he had seen the foot he would have called a foul IMO. Typically the only places you do not get any hesitations by an official is on the shot, and on rebounding action.

azhog10

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 07, 2015, 11:13:30 am
ur right on what I am saying, he didn't see the foot because it was close to him and his attention was on the body. If he had seen the foot he would have called a foul IMO. Typically the only places you do not get any hesitations by an official is on the shot, and on rebounding action.
If he didn't see the foot then he failed to do his job. It wasn't like it barely hit. He was clearly out of bounds and if he (like you say) saw contact, should have called it. I also don't like that the refs have their own cameras for replay. They should be able to use whatever is needed to get it right. Both were huge plays, one reviewable, one wasn't. I also didn't like the and 1 called when the Duke defender put an elbow in the kids jaw. I coach high school basketball and I can't tell you how many times i've been told by an official that they won't call an and one when the offense initiates the contact. I get sick of hearing, but all of them say it. I've grown to teach my kids not to expect an and one if they initiate the contact. It seems to me Duke initiated a lot of contact last night and Coach K did a fantastic job of working the officials to get his calls.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: azhog10 on April 07, 2015, 11:22:41 am
If he didn't see the foot then he failed to do his job. It wasn't like it barely hit. He was clearly out of bounds and if he (like you say) saw contact, should have called it. I also don't like that the refs have their own cameras for replay. They should be able to use whatever is needed to get it right. Both were huge plays, one reviewable, one wasn't. I also didn't like the and 1 called when the Duke defender put an elbow in the kids jaw. I coach high school basketball and I can't tell you how many times i've been told by an official that they won't call an and one when the offense initiates the contact. I get sick of hearing, but all of them say it. I've grown to teach my kids not to expect an and one if they initiate the contact. It seems to me Duke initiated a lot of contact last night and Coach K did a fantastic job of working the officials to get his calls.
That particular and 1 situation along with the block/charge are the most inconsistent things I see called, and it really hasn't changed for years.

Quote from: hogville38 on April 06, 2015, 10:17:16 pm
Blow a important call every game.

Duke players and and coaches blew them at half.

Proud member of the War Memorial Mafia

hawginbigd1

Quote from: 1964 on April 07, 2015, 03:11:37 pm
Duke players and and coaches blew them at half.
Baaaazinga!

jm

College basketball has become the old WCW- tremendous athletes with less than competent officiating. The outcome almost looks pre determined.

Danny J

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 07, 2015, 11:34:28 am
Danny,

I thought your observation was interesting but then this:

I can't see how allowing hand checking benefits the game at all.  Please elaborate.
Its used as an excuse for the officials to slow pace. It is also used by coaches like Stallings to bitch and moan the entire game forcing a slowing of pace and a backing off of defenders. Most importantly IMO it is absolute insanity to have a rule where touching a players hip 45 feet from the basket is somehow clearly impeding a player but allow players to beat and bang down low is ok. Also...I have a major problem with the way screens are being set. Very physical and moving on many accounts but very rarely called.

You may get one a game...maybe. Then again touching a players hip 80 feet from the basket should clearly be a foul. /sarcasm

I am not saying do away with hand checking but relax the rule a bit. Something along the lines of "if it clearly forces a player to lose balance, etc...then it is a hand check".