Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Take from The Warmup (AAU)

Started by RazorAg, April 05, 2015, 07:39:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorAg

It was different not being down in the Little Rock for The Real Deal in the Rock, but my 6 week old required a different plan this year.  I was thankful to learn about The Warmup in Bentonville, a tourney Marcus Monk and associates organized that included several Nike EYBL teams, including the Arkansas Wings.  So, I was able to break away to take in action all three days.

Friday night were the Showcase games.  First, it was the 16U Arkansas Wings vs Team Texas.  Then, the 17U Arkansas Wings played Elfrid Payton Elite, a newly sponsored EYBL team out of Louisiana. Some of you may remember Elfrid Payton, who played for Louisiana-Lafayette and is now with the Magic.

I've been anxious to see the 15 and 16U teams in Arkansas; there's a lot of young talent in the state.  What I saw from the 16U Wings exceeded my expectations.  First, it's a big team.  They started 6'0, 6'3, 6'3, 6'7 and 7'3.  Yes, if you haven't heard or seen yet, there is a 7'3 kid in the state.  And, he's only in the 9th grade.  Connor Vanover, out of Arkansas Baptist, is an intriguing prospect.  More on him later; back to the team.  Their first unit was good and tall; second unit was the same.  They went 5'6, 6'2, 6'3, 6'6 and 6'10.  They absolutely dominated what was a solid squad in Team Texas; they had a few future high major players.  It was really fun to watch b/c they did what the Razorbacks want to do; score with your defense.

The 17U game wasn't as exciting as the 16U, but we still got a close game.  The Wings started who I thought they would - 6'0 Tyrik Dixon, 6'4 Payton Willis, 6'4 Malik Monk, 6'7 Eric Curry and 6'10 Mitchell Smith.  EPE had a few very good players, including a very familiar one - Melvin Frazier.  Frazier, who graduates this year, is doing what we rarely see from kids who haven't qualified or who feel they weren't seen enough before they start college next fall.  In Frazier's case, he confirmed that he hasn't made a qualifying ACT score yet.  He also confirmed that he has a "top 4" of us, LSU, OU and Okie State.  Other than Frazier, EPE featured Skylar Mays, DeJon Jarreau and Javonte Smart.  It was a hard fought game that the Wings eventually overtook and held onto.

Other competitive teams that participated were: Team Penny, MoKan Elite, Athlete's First and Texas Lightning.  All featured some top 150 kids, some of which I'll mention below.

Both the 16U and 17U Wings ended up taking home the titles of the inaugural tourney.  Not taking anything away from the teams, but a few teams did end up going home today instead of playing, which is obviously understandable.

Player Notes:

2015:
Melvin Frazier 6'6 Wing: Myself and others have talked about Frazier a lot.  I like the Qualls comparison, only a little further along with ball skills and fluidity.  Like Qualls, nice, high ceiling.  He was the most exciting player at the event this weekend.  If he gets his score, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

2016:
Malik Monk 6'4 Wing: Not much to say here.  He's a proven once in a generation player in this state.  I will say that he showed improved pace and feel for the game, as well as improved defense this weekend.  If there are a few weaknesses with Monk, it's his shot selection/timing and his defense.  Noticeable difference in those areas since I last saw him.  Best player at the event.

Mitchell Smith 6'10 Post: The games I saw, I came away wanting more from Smith.  No evaluation from me at this point, as I want to see more.  The potential is oozing, though.  I do worry about his mindset and aggressiveness.  It's as if he doesn't know what he can do sometimes, and instead of tearing the rim off, he plays soft.  He wasn't inactive by any means, but he wasn't as aggressive as I would like either.  I've heard he wandered outside a decent amount in high school; he didn't do that at all when I saw him this weekend.  One of the things he did do pretty aggressively was post up, and you can tell he's been coached on how to do that.  Now, once he got the ball, it wasn't as defined as you would like, but again, you saw flashes.  I think a lot of folks that follow basketball recruiting wonder where he'll be ranked.  Again, I'm not ready to throw my vote in, but he also didn't jump out at you and scream top 50 player.  It could be a gradual climb up the rankings if he performs well.  Excited to see more.

Andre Jones 6'4 Wing: Even though I only saw him once, I'm listing him here in case some of you don't get through this long post.  Jones plays for LR McClellan and was on Team Penny this weekend.  I was somewhat aware of Jones, but I had never seen him in person so I didn't immediately recognize him.  But, his play jumped off the court.  He started for Team Penny, and was at times, their best perimeter player.  Outstanding slash game and athleticism.  Developing jumper.  Official watch on this kid.  I would not be surprised if we offer.  High major kid.

Payton Willis 6'4 Combo G: It had been a year since I saw Willis, and was happy to see that he had grown and put on some weight.  I really like Willis; I just think he needs to do more of what he can do.  Now, I do worry a little about his defense and toughness, but man, he's skilled offensively.  Can handle it and really shoot it.  There was a stretch today in the championship game when he showed that he can be alpha player.  I think Payton could be a good high major player down the line; he just needs to realize how talented he is.

Lawson Korita 6'4 Wing: Lawson did what he does.  Play smart basketball.  Make plays when he got the ball, and really knock down the three.  I think his talent is overshadowed on this team. I think he's a D1 player at least.

Eric Curry 6'7 Post: Was excited to see Curry for the first time in person, and I liked his game.  He's an active post player with good athleticism.  Not super skilled, but he has some tools to work with.  Low major D1 player.

Tyrik Dixon 6'0 PG: Dixon, who was at Bentonville last year but went down to Southwest Christian in LR this year, showed an improved jumper to go along with a solid, steady floor game.  Dixon isn't flashy, but he's effective at handling the ball and putting the ball where it needs to be on a talented team.  He's also a plus defender.  Low major D1 player.

Jalen Johnson 6'6 Wing: Johnson is a new addition to the Wings out of Baton Rouge.  Ironically, he played against a few of his high school teammates on EPE.  Johnson was hurt last year, and I had heard that if hadn't been, he'd be a high major target at this point.  So, I was anxious to see him.  Nice player.  Good size and nice shot; just a little soft.  Probably a low major D1 player at least.

Ryan Pippins 6'0 Combo G:  I've seen Ryan for a few years now, and always loved him.  So much dog in him.  He's built like a fullback, and other than a tight handle and a capable jump shot, he plays like one.  He's going to be a value to a college someday, whether that be a D2 or low major D1 school.

Other 2016 player notes: I thought Skylar Mays was fantastic all weekend.  If he lands at LSU, he will give us fits.  Can get anywhere he wants with the ball with nice size and vision.  Jarreau was also impressive as a slasher.  Bam Adebayo was a surprise on Team Penny's roster, as he usually plays for east coast teams on the grassroots circuit.  He was as advertised, though.  Really like Kristian Doolittle and Jakolby Long out of Oklahoma.  Doolittle is committed to OU.  Also, I think Devonte Patterson is underrated.  Expect him to be a top 100ish kid when it's all said and done.

2017:
Daniel Gafford 6'10 Post: Out of El Dorado, he has a chance to be a really good player in a year or so.  Super long and good athleticism.  Already, a plus shot blocker.  Needs strength and to keep playing.  Exciting prospect.

Casey Benton 6'3 Combo G: Out of Clarksville, I remembered watching him last year as a freshman.  He played as physical as any player I saw all weekend, all age groups.  Has a chance.

Exavin Christan 6'4 Wing: I'm wondering if he is of the Hot Springs' Christan's.  Wouldn't be surprised if he is.  Fantastic athleticism and finishing ability.  Needs to work on his jumper.

Marquis Eaton 6'2 Combo G: Out of Helena, this kid grew on me, and by the end, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the best of this crew.  Skilled all around, and a fantastic defender.

Tevin Brewer 5'6 PG: Out of FS Northside, my personal favorite all weekend.  He just beat people every game...in every way.  He didn't allow his size to deter him.  Elite on-ball defender, and good all around player.  Saw him on the All-Arkansas third team today in the ADG and wasn't surprised.

Jeremiah Toney 6'5 Wing: Out of LR Mills, a good slashing wing at his age.  With ball skill and shooting development, could be a nice one down the line.

Other 2017 player notes. I was happy to see Michael Porter there, and yeah...as advertised.  Will be a pro.  Saw a recruiting analyst compare him to a better Mike Dunleavy; like that comp.  Trae Young was also highly impressive.  Reminded me of Tyus Jones with a little less athleticism and a better jumper.

2018:
Connor Vanover 7'3 Post: Vanover is fascinating to watch.  I've seen him a few times, including as recent as last August.  He's improved since then, and added some weight, which is encouraging.  At his height, he's a knock-down shooter, which is just crazy to watch.  He knows how to play, and makes winning plays as much as his physical ability will allow.  As you would expect, he's just not very mobile, agile or fast.  You might think he blocks a ton of shots, but he doesn't block nearly as many as you think he would b/c of those mentioned physical limitations.  He obviously has time, though, and it'll be cool to watch him develop.

Other 2018 player notes. Jevonte Smart was a lot like Jarreau.  Can blow by.  Gerald Ladell out of Texas looks like a nice wing prospect; already 6'6.

Was a great event, and looking forward to future versions!

-Blu

Nice,  Thanks for the update, I was there Friday night for the showcase and got to watch the 16U and 17U wings.  I agree with your assessments on all those players.  I also, hope Frazier qualifies and we get him, dude is crazy athletic.  It would be the perfect replacement for Qualls, and his upside may be a little higher.  I was very impressed with what I saw from him.

Also, a guy that I had never seen that impressed me just from a physical standpoint is Daniel Gafford from the 16U wings, he looks like a college PF already.  I seen him try a few post moves, and they weren't bad at all.  What are your thoughts on him Razor, you think he can develop into a high major D1 prospect?  Seems like he has all the tools.

Swinesong1

Uncle SI

I was also there Friday night and thought the event was great. Very impressed with Frazier. I'm not one to throw comparisons around but tagging him as the next Qualls is probably 100% on. This was my first time seeing Monk in person, left amazed how easily it was for him to take over at will. The Refs in the second game let the players play a little too much and many no calls made players look out of control at times. I completely agree with Razor in that the 16U group will have a lot of talent, the future of bball in Arkansas is bright. I wish we would have more of these tourneys in the future.
Btw anyone now who was #33 for Team Texas. Boy is a hoss and will be a player at the next level.
First time, long time, great topic, love the show.

intelligence

Sounds like there's alot of talent in the state in the next couple of years. Thanks for posting! I hope mitchell gets a shot in a hog uni

RazorAg

Quote from: Uncle SI on April 05, 2015, 09:11:06 pm

Btw anyone now who was #33 for Team Texas. Boy is a hoss and will be a player at the next level.

Franklin Agunanne.  Can't find much on him.

RazorAg

Quote from: -Blu on April 05, 2015, 08:22:21 pm

Also, a guy that I had never seen that impressed me just from a physical standpoint is Daniel Gafford from the 16U wings, he looks like a college PF already.  I seen him try a few post moves, and they weren't bad at all.  What are your thoughts on him Razor, you think he can develop into a high major D1 prospect?  Seems like he has all the tools.

Don't have more thoughts than what I put in my original post.  He needs to really develop this offseason and next season.

pigture perfect

Thanks for the updates. Very thorough and exciting.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

mhuff

I know you are busy with the young one. Thanks for a great report. You really add to this board.

The_Iceman