uk poster?

Started by Dr. Starcs, April 05, 2015, 10:56:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

popcornhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 05, 2015, 10:56:34 am
Anybody seen this guy lately?  Lol

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;u=61919

Doubt he's posting much in the immediate aftermath of such a big loss.

What's with the SUCK stuff? Nearly as classy as Andrew Harrison.
WPS

Dr. Starcs

C'mon popcorn. I know how much you appreciated this uk team, but a lot of us got completely tired of the media hype and arrogance of their fan base. That's all. I will modify my title for you though.

popcornhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 05, 2015, 10:59:20 am
C'mon popcorn. I know how much you appreciated this uk team, but a lot of us got completely tired of the media hype and arrogance of their fan base. That's all. I will modify my title for you though.

+1 for recycling my previous post re: UK.

It's not that I like UK at all. I do not. But the level of vitriol and unsubstantiated cheating accusations that we throw around about Kentucky are so absurd that I feel inclined to respond.

2015 UK was the best team I've ever seen (I'm only 31) in college hoops. Not even close. So when people started talking about Cauley Stein not being any good, etc, it just made me reflect on how dumb our fan base must seem to outsiders.

That said, great win for Wiscy, I'm glad they pulled the upset. I was at both UK games this year and it sucked getting drummed. Plus the Ashley Judd stuff -- I definitely enjoyed watching them lose last night. But they're still the best college team I've ever seen.

+1 on the title change. I just don't see any point in name calling.
WPS

Dr. Starcs

I understand. It became more personal I think when Judd went after our team.

IronMountainHog

I'm 45 and started hating UK when Eddie Sutton crawled there to take the job. And then they got caught cheating with the Emery package full of money that broke open shortly afterward. They are a win at all costs program who has and will cheat to get ahead. That being said, this team is not in my top 50 I've ever seen. College basketball started getting watered down in the late 90's.

texas tush hog

Quote from: IronMountainHog on April 05, 2015, 11:22:38 am
I'm 45 and started hating UK when Eddie Sutton crawled there to take the job. And then they got caught cheating with the Emery package full of money that broke open shortly afterward. They are a win at all costs program who has and will cheat to get ahead. That being said, this team is not in my top 50 I've ever seen. College basketball started getting watered down in the late 90's.

With all of the McDonald's All Americans he has, and no better than they are, I can see Calipari's recruiting could take a hit. Could definitely help us with Malik Monk.

TNhawgfan

Cal's recruiting won't take a hit. Only thing that will stop his recruiting machine is going to the NBA
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

hammer66

Quote from: popcornhog on April 05, 2015, 11:08:57 am

It's not that I like UK at all. I do not. But the level of vitriol and unsubstantiated cheating accusations that we throw around about Kentucky are so absurd that I feel inclined to respond.

I don't understand how u can say UK is the best college team u have ever seen. From what I saw yesterday, I think Wis is definitely the better team. I believe UW would beat UK at least 70% of the time. They don't turn the ball over and Kaminsky is clearly the best big on the floor.

2015 UK was the best team I've ever seen (I'm only 31) in college hoops. Not even close. So when people started talking about Cauley Stein not being any good, etc, it just made me reflect on how dumb our fan base must seem to outsiders.

That said, great win for Wiscy, I'm glad they pulled the upset. I was at both UK games this year and it sucked getting drummed. Plus the Ashley Judd stuff -- I definitely enjoyed watching them lose last night. But they're still the best college team I've ever seen.

popcornhog

Quote from: hammer66 on April 05, 2015, 01:35:29 pm

I'm basing it on the entire season and their depth of talent. Not one game.
WPS

latrops

I think that "best team since whenever" stuff is part of what was so annoying to some of us.  My personal opinion (which is certainly debatable and many would disagree) is that the Anthony Davis team that did win the title, as well as the 2010 team that bowed out in the Elite 8 were at least as good, if not better.  This year's Kentucky team could have easily lost last weekend against Notre Dame.  They were certainly one of the top teams this year, but their last two games do not support the idea that they were in a class by themselves.  The perception exceeded reality because of the zero in the loss column.  If aTm had hung on, or if LSU hit the last second three...the perception would have been different.   I figured if Kentucky played in the ACC, they'd have lost at least one game, and probably two or three, having to go to Virginia, UNC, Duke, and Notre Dame.  As it was, the SEC wasn't very strong and made Kentucky look great.  Florida went through the SEC undefeated last year, before a Final Four loss themselves.  Hopefully getting through the SEC undefeated becomes much more difficult starting next season.

bigred223

The Cauley Stein hype is remarkable considering his actual production. His athletic ability is off the charts, but he is an athlete, not a basketball player.

gmarv

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 05, 2015, 11:13:35 am
I understand. It became more personal I think when Judd went after our team.

absolutely, it did just that for me.

popcornhog

Quote from: latrops on April 05, 2015, 02:42:27 pm
I think that "best team since whenever" stuff is part of what was so annoying to some of us.  My personal opinion (which is certainly debatable and many would disagree) is that the Anthony Davis team that did win the title, as well as the 2010 team that bowed out in the Elite 8 were at least as good, if not better.  This year's Kentucky team could have easily lost last weekend against Notre Dame.  They were certainly one of the top teams this year, but their last two games do not support the idea that they were in a class by themselves.  The perception exceeded reality because of the zero in the loss column.  If aTm had hung on, or if LSU hit the last second three...the perception would have been different.   I figured if Kentucky played in the ACC, they'd have lost at least one game, and probably two or three, having to go to Virginia, UNC, Duke, and Notre Dame.  As it was, the SEC wasn't very strong and made Kentucky look great.  Florida went through the SEC undefeated last year, before a Final Four loss themselves.  Hopefully getting through the SEC undefeated becomes much more difficult starting next season.

To me it wasn't the zero or one in the loss column. It's the size and depth. It's the defense.

When they're playing at their best it's unlike anything I've seen before.

You're right though -- the best since whenever stuff can get silly, but I've watched a lot of college hoops since the early 90's and I think this team is better than 96 UK, 90 UNLV, 10 UK, 99 Duke, or 94 Arkansas -- these are some of the best teams I've seen. I think 15 UK is better than any if them because of depth, size, and D.

I guess that's just like, my opinion, man.
WPS

MountieDawg

Quote from: latrops on April 05, 2015, 02:42:27 pm

Outside the SEC
They beat Big 12 champs Kansas
Sweet 16 team UCLA
ACC and Elite 8 team Louisville
ACC Sweet 16 team UNC
ACC tourney Champs Notre Dame

NCAA tourney teams
Texas
Providence
CINN
W VA
Buffalo
Hampton
SEC!

Biggus Piggus

Many past great SEC teams were better than this Kentucky team, including Arkansas's 1993-94 national championship team. Those past SEC greats actually won titles and beat better opponents than Kentucky lost to last night.
[CENSORED]!

HAM ELLIOT

I think those UNLV Runnin Rebs were better than this Kentucky team.

intelligence

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on April 05, 2015, 08:12:04 pm

GOAT

latrops

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 05, 2015, 07:06:43 pm
Outside the SEC
They beat Big 12 champs Kansas
Sweet 16 team UCLA
ACC and Elite 8 team Louisville
ACC Sweet 16 team UNC
ACC tourney Champs Notre Dame

NCAA tourney teams
Texas
Providence
CINN
W VA
Buffalo
Hampton

They played one true road game against a ranked team...at Louisville.  Their NCAAT games were all in the state of Kentucky or in a state that borders Kentucky.

Nonetheless, going by the NCAAT, their season consisted of three total wins over top 16 teams.  I refuse to consider UCLA a top 16 team.  They got a gift goaltending call to beat SMU, then were fortunate to draw 14 seed UAB in the 2nd round.  TKentucky's only win over a clear top 10 team is the Notre Dame game, which came down to the final possession.

I never said Kentucky was a bad team.  I said they were one of the top teams in the country this year, but had they played in the ACC they would not have gone through undefeated.  More than anything, I stated that their last two games proved that they weren't in a class of their own.  They were in the top class of teams, and maybe the best of those teams, but clearly not so superior that teams like Duke, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, maybe Arizona, etc. couldn't compete with them. 

It's fine that they dominated Kansas, UCLA, and West Virginia, but those teams aren't the measuring stick this year.

popcornhog

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on April 05, 2015, 08:12:04 pm

That argument can be made.

Larry Johnson, Stacy Augmon, and Greg Anthony all on one team?! Hard to believe.

But I still think this year's UK team has so much depth that they'd take that UNLV squad or the Phi Slama Jama or 96 Kentucky in a 7 game series.
WPS

Marshfieldhog

1996 UK team would have beat this team. That was the best UK team I ever saw. UNLV team was probably best team in last 25 years. I personally think our 1991 team was the best team we ever had but had a mental lapse in 2nd half against Kansas. We should have won it all that year, we blew most teams away.

Hogz87

I don't even know if you have to go back that far to find teams that, at the very least, were on par with this Kentucky team:

2012 Kentucky
2009 UNC
2008 Kansas
2007 Florida
2001 Duke

And teams like 2005 UNC and 2004 UConn were really, really good, also.

I do think 2015 Kentucky was VERY good/borderline special; but I also think they were made out to look better than they really are because of a weak conference and a watered down "field".

HawgnCorona

Quote from: popcornhog on April 05, 2015, 11:04:21 pm
That argument can be made.

Larry Johnson, Stacy Augmon, and Greg Anthony all on one team?! Hard to believe.

But I still think this year's UK team has so much depth that they'd take that UNLV squad or the Phi Slama Jama or 96 Kentucky in a 7 game series.

Im not so sure about the first two being beaten by this UK team...The problem seems to be most of his teams lack "enough" on mature leadership.

Experience seems to win out over youth and talent. The only team at UK that has won it all win had all three...That was the team with AD, TJ, Darius Miles.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8