Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joe Kleine and Darrell Walker finalists for UALR job....

Started by hoglady, April 02, 2015, 11:51:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglady

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/apr/02/ualrs-conque-names-five-finalists-coaching-job/?latest

2 of the 5 finalists - would like to see one of them get the job.
I'm partial to Walker - was pulling for him when Moncrief got it.
Bu tJoe has paid his dues at UALR.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

userpick

If they hire Mark Downey, I'm not positive they won't have the best coach in the state. That guy can flat out coach.

hoglady

Quote from: userpick on April 03, 2015, 12:01:02 am
If they hire Mark Downey, I'm not positive they won't have the best coach in the state. That guy can flat out coach.

If they get him - then both the men's and women's basketball coaches will be ex coaches of Arkansas Tech. Looks like he was pretty successful when there.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

yraciv

Wait Clint Conque's son is running things down there now? Did gohogs get the memo?

I've never seen an official final five announced. The four that don't get it won't won't like that. Though none are current head coaches.

cc

Quote from: Karma on April 03, 2015, 07:20:42 am
I've never seen an official final five announced. The four that don't get it won't won't like that. Though none are current head coaches.

I really do not understand why Conque would do that.  One thing for a list of candidates to get leaked but not do a press release.  You may release a list of the 5 finalist for the head of neurosurgery at UAMS but not coaches at UALR. 

hogman99

Quote from: userpick on April 03, 2015, 12:01:02 am

You may be right, but it will be hard to top Joe Foley.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: hoglady on April 02, 2015, 11:51:24 pm
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/apr/02/ualrs-conque-names-five-finalists-coaching-job/?latest

2 of the 5 finalists - would like to see one of them get the job.
I'm partial to Walker - was pulling for him when Moncrief got it.
Bu tJoe has paid his dues at UALR.

Remember when I told you Walker?  :)

TrueBlue

Love Big Joe from Slater MO, but Walker needs to get the job.

He would have instant respect walking into a recruit's home being a former NBA coach, having a NBA Championship ring, all Defensive Team, and Razorback All-American.

hoglady

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 03, 2015, 08:21:00 am
Remember when I told you Walker?  :)

I do.
I wasn't sure whether you were serious or kidding.
But you nailed that one.

userpick

Quote from: hoglady on April 03, 2015, 12:05:06 am
If they get him - then both the men's and women's basketball coaches will be ex coaches of Arkansas Tech. Looks like he was pretty successful when there.

A great coach. Turned Tech into a national powerhouse. Another interesting tidbit on Downey is he played a Kentucky player in the movie "Glory Road." So if coaching fails him, he can always get back into acting...

razorbacker3

Joe Kleine should get the job. He has been ac for 8 years, has been a community leader and is well known, with much recruiting experience. I love DW but he has little recruiting experience and is better suited for NBA ball. IMHO

1highhog

Darrell Walker would be a home run hire by UALR, would have been the better hire when ghey hired Moncrief, who was a disaster.  I love Joe, but Darrell has the experience plus way more credentials.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: razorbacker3 on April 04, 2015, 10:46:19 am
Joe Kleine should get the job. He has been ac for 8 years, has been a community leader and is well known, with much recruiting experience. I love DW but he has little recruiting experience and is better suited for NBA ball. IMHO

Has Joe been an asst. Coach for that long? Wow...time sure moves fast.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hoglady

Quote from: 1highhog on April 04, 2015, 11:19:02 pm
Darrell Walker would be a home run hire by UALR, would have been the better hire when ghey hired Moncrief, who was a disaster.  I love Joe, but Darrell has the experience plus way more credentials.

If I remember right the main reason Walker didn't get it then was he didn't have a college degree. He's since gone back to school and gotten his degree. I was really disappointed when he was passed over for Moncrief.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TrueBlue on April 03, 2015, 08:43:50 am
Love Big Joe from Slater MO, but Walker needs to get the job.

He would have instant respect walking into a recruit's home being a former NBA coach, having a NBA Championship ring, all Defensive Team, and Razorback All-American.

I'm not sure Darrell's credentials are any better for a college coaching job. Joe also has an NBA champ ring and an Olympic gold Medal. Darrell is a great guy as well. Joe has college coaching experience. Darrell has NBA coaching experience but his record as a head coach is not that great. He was thrown into some tough coaching situations in the NBA though. Coaching in college and the NBA are two different birds..............

That being said all the finalists look to be good potential hires.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: 1highhog on April 04, 2015, 11:19:02 pm

Plus, he throws a mean 9 iron.  :D
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

hoglady

UALR needs butts in the seats.
They need a high energy guy that will put a good team on the court but also promote the program and inject some excitement.
Something along the lines of what Mike Newell did.
I can remember going to games at the Statehouse Convention center - the crowds were big and it was just a fun time. When Fisher was at UALR the crowds at Barton were great. They need to try to get back to those days.

1highhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 05, 2015, 09:33:43 am

I'm not sure Darrell's credentials are any better for a college coaching job. Joe also has an NBA champ ring and an Olympic gold Medal. Darrell is a great guy as well. Joe has college coaching experience. Darrell has NBA coaching experience but his record as a head coach is not that great. He was thrown into some tough coaching situations in the NBA though. Coaching in college and the NBA are two different birds..............

That being said all the finalists look to be good potential hires.

Walker also has an NBA ring.  But I don't see why either of them having rings ups their Coaching resume.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 1highhog on April 06, 2015, 02:12:52 pm
Walker also has an NBA ring.  But I don't see why either of them having rings ups their Coaching resume.

I agree with that. I was responding to Trueblue's and his supposed credentials being better for some candidates over others.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TrueBlue

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 06, 2015, 03:07:15 pm
I agree with that. I was responding to Trueblue's and his supposed credentials being better for some candidates over others.

Everyone has their opinion huh?

I just gave highlights of the man's career and believe me when a guy walks into a recruits house with a huge NBA ring on their finger and say that he played with Jordan, the recruit will be all ears. Doesn't mean they are a great coach because of the ring, I never said that.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TrueBlue on April 06, 2015, 03:14:22 pm
Everyone has their opinion huh?

I just gave highlights of the man's career and believe me when a guy walks into a recruits house with a huge NBA ring on their finger and say that he played with Jordan, the recruit will be all ears. Doesn't mean they are a great coach because of the ring, I never said that.

Recruits today never saw Jordan play or win a title.............................now IF you said Lebron they might listen.

P.S. Joe's champ rings were when he was on Jordan's team.

Looks like they've made their choice, according to Kleine's twitter. Anyone heard who it is?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Karma on April 07, 2015, 09:01:09 am
Looks like they've made their choice, according to Kleine's twitter. Anyone heard who it is?

I heard Chris Beard.

Hawg Red

Chris Beard coached Dee Wagner this season at Angelo State.

woodhog14

Quote from: Karma on April 03, 2015, 07:20:42 am

nm

ricepig

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on April 07, 2015, 12:08:35 pm
Chris Beard is the new coach.

Hope he has success and gets them back to the tourney.  I remember the late 80s teams seeing them win in the Statehouse and their NCAAT performances.  Was an exciting time(too bad C Ark didn't use that momentum to upgrade facilities).

Not sure how good of a job this is at a commuter school in a Razorback centric state.  Perhaps with the in state talent that seems to be coming out and maybe with a transfer coming back home every so often when it doesn't work out, he'll have success.  Maybe UAB should be a model for UALR. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

osumed14

If beard is the man reading his bio and coaching tree is impressive!!  This man wins everywhere he has been and has won quick.  Proven he know how to recruit and play in the college game, looks like excellent hire to me!  Hope the best for them.  Under bob knight tree.