Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kapita on TV Today

Started by Razorhogger, April 02, 2015, 09:54:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorhogger

Just a reminder that we have an opportunity to watch Kapita play on TV today and throughout the weekend if they win.  I believe he plays on one of the ESPN channels at 1:00.  I can't wait to watch.

jry04

Quote from: Razorhogger on April 02, 2015, 09:54:18 am
Just a reminder that we have an opportunity to watch Kapita play on TV today and throughout the weekend if they win.  I believe he plays on one of the ESPN channels at 1:00.  I can't wait to watch.
Is he actually playing? I have not kept up, but last I heard he was still out with a hip injury.

hoglady

Well - I've got my DVR set in case he does play.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hogberry Snortcake

-Blu

Quote from: jry04 on April 02, 2015, 09:55:56 am
Is he actually playing? I have not kept up, but last I heard he was still out with a hip injury.

His coach reported he had been practicing and was 100%.  I would assume he'd be playing.  We'll see.

Hawg Red

CDBHawg

Is he playing in the all star classic tonight in LR?

skinnypig

set DVR from work thanks directv

Hawg Red

Quote from: CDBHawg on April 02, 2015, 11:10:31 am
Is he playing in the all star classic tonight in LR?

No. He's playing in a national tournament with his prep school.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 02, 2015, 11:25:49 am
No. He's playing in a national tournament with his prep school.

Okay. Thanks.

I saw he was on the roster.

Hawg Red

Quote from: CDBHawg on April 02, 2015, 11:33:08 am
Okay. Thanks.

I saw he was on the roster.

Dishonest promotion by Bill Ingram.

ricepig

Hawg Red

I know they're advertising Kapita as on the roster for the Mike Conley game in LR, but I'm pretty sure he's in NYC for this Dick's Sporting Goods tournament with Huntington Prep.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 02, 2015, 11:42:10 am
I know they're advertising Kapita as on the roster for the Mike Conley game in LR, but I'm pretty sure he's in NYC for this Dick's Sporting Goods tournament with Huntington Prep.

I figured the season was over and now time for AAU

ricepig

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 02, 2015, 11:47:35 am
I figured the season was over and now time for AAU

Sr's don't play AAU, or at least those going to major D-I programs.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ricepig on April 02, 2015, 11:49:23 am
Sr's don't play AAU, or at least those going to major D-I programs.

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

He is in the game. #23 in Blue.

EastMemphisHog

EastMemphisHog

Hawg4life33

Don't know if he is gonna get a lot of chances. Huntington has a bunch of chuckers playing guard.

EastMemphisHog

The_Iceman

Looks like a beast on the boards. He's going to the line for two after missing a put back and getting fouled.

latrops

Announcer says this is the first game he has played this season.

latrops

Quote from: Hawg4life33 on April 02, 2015, 01:31:43 pm
Don't know if he is gonna get a lot of chances. Huntington has a bunch of chuckers playing guard.

Size seems ok, but he's been trying to post and hasn't been able to push very close to the basket so far.

The_Iceman

Quote from: latrops on April 02, 2015, 01:32:21 pm
Announcer says this is the first game he has played this season.

Gonna be a little rusty.

The_Iceman

That 6'11" 245lb Center for Hunt. Prep has hit two threes today. Impressive.

latrops

Thomas Bryant, Kapita's teammate, is listed as 6'10" 220 lbs.  Kapita is listed 6'8" 235 lbs.  Bryant looks a lot bigger.  They look like the weights are reversed.

The_Iceman

Quote from: latrops on April 02, 2015, 01:44:19 pm
Thomas Bryant, Kapita's teammate, is listed as 6'10" 220 lbs.  Kapita is listed 6'8" 235 lbs.  Bryant looks a lot bigger.  They look like the weights are reversed.

Bryant is going to be a monster wherever he goes. Looks like Indiana, Syracuse, UK, West Virginia, and Kentucky lead for him. Mizzou is listed, but I'm guessing they have ZERO shot now, since that program is in shambles.

I would say 6'8" 220 looks about accurate for Kapita. Great frame and build.

Hogberry Snortcake

Looked awkward.  I'm sure its just rust, and out of basketball shape.  Only got a few minutes.  Good hustle guy though. 

Also learned:  kaPEEta.  I've been saying KApita. 

NVRyield

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on April 02, 2015, 06:07:55 pm
Looked awkward.  I'm sure its just rust, and out of basketball shape.  Only got a few minutes.  Good hustle guy though. 

Also learned:  kaPEEta.  I've been saying KApita.

Phonics didn't work for me  ;)

Hawg Red

Watching right now. Kapita is moving very gingerly. Hopefully just rust but he looks bad. Really bad.

WarPig88

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 01:38:19 pm
Gonna be a little rusty.

I saw Jabari Parker's first game back from injury his senior year of high school. He looked awful also.

mizzouman

Kapita is raw, hurt or not.  Hasn't played a lot of basketball, period.

But, his upside is tremendous.  Needs a year or two, unless someone magically gets a hold of him during the summer.

However, if he progresses, he could be a force for the Hogs in the future.

Now, I've never seen him play but this is coming from a guy that knows Coach Fulford at Mizzou.  Fulford never coached him officially as part of Huntington Prep, but has worked him out and knows him very well.

Razorhogger

He did look very rusty and tender.  Especially trying to stop and start while running down the floor.  Where he didn't look rusty at all was on the boards.  I can't find the stats but I can remember 5 or 6 boards in only about 5 minutes of play......and several of those were offensive boards. 

ricepig

Quote from: mizzouman on April 03, 2015, 07:28:15 am
Kapita is raw, hurt or not.  Hasn't played a lot of basketball, period.

But, his upside is tremendous.  Needs a year or two, unless someone magically gets a hold of him during the summer.

However, if he progresses, he could be a force for the Hogs in the future.

Now, I've never seen him play but this is coming from a guy that knows Coach Fulford at Mizzou.  Fulford never coached him officially as part of Huntington Prep, but has worked him out and knows him very well.

Ah, a guy that knows a guy, good sources....

Biggus Piggus

Kapita is coming of a sciatic nerve problem, they said on TV.
[CENSORED]!

Hawg Red

Quote from: Razorhogger on April 03, 2015, 07:39:29 am
He did look very rusty and tender.  Especially trying to stop and start while running down the floor.  Where he didn't look rusty at all was on the boards.  I can't find the stats but I can remember 5 or 6 boards in only about 5 minutes of play......and several of those were offensive boards.

Main thing that stood out to me. Gonna have a long summer just to get back to full-speed.

Hawg4life33

Playing again today at 2 PM on ESPN2, I think against #1 Oak Hill. Hopefully he gets some more minutes.

mbgrulz

The thing I liked about him is that he has a big time frame. We don't have a guy with a set of shoulders like that. Harris may be the closest thing, but TK is way taller than AH.

Its absolutely ridiculous to draw conclusions on his game based on what you saw yesterday. He is no doubt raw, and no doubt rusty, but he is a good looking kid. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg4life33 on April 03, 2015, 09:32:26 am
Playing again today at 2 PM on ESPN2, I think against #1 Oak Hill. Hopefully he gets some more minutes.

He might since Oak Hill probably has a bigger roster than the team he played against yesterday.

Hawg Red

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 03, 2015, 09:38:20 am
Its absolutely ridiculous to draw conclusions on his game based on what you saw yesterday. He is no doubt raw, and no doubt rusty, but he is a good looking kid.

I'd say it's equally ridiculous to say he's a "good looking kid" based on what I saw yesterday. It's fair to not judge him on that one game considering what he's had to deal with this year, but it's not fair to say it's only okay to think he looked good.

He looked....imcomplete to me. Didn't look like a Top 40 player but was obviously not in basketball shape. He didn't show much in the way of skillset and his athleticism and movement were severely handicapped.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 03, 2015, 09:50:39 am
I'd say it's equally ridiculous to say he's a "good looking kid" based on what I saw yesterday. It's fair to not judge him on that one game considering what he's had to deal with this year, but it's not fair to say it's only okay to think he looked good.

He looked....imcomplete to me. Didn't look like a Top 40 player but was obviously not in basketball shape. He didn't show much in the way of skillset and his athleticism and movement were severely handicapped.

Well, you do remember all those who commented on Portis and only saw him in the state championship against Jonesboro......

The_Iceman

He played 3 minutes yesterday and grabbed 4 rebounds. Outside of just seeing that he physically looks like a Power Forward, there was not much to take away.

I trust our staff will be able to do some good work with him this offseason.

Hawg Red

He does have a good pair of shoulders on him. That stood out immediately.

jry04

I think he will have an immediate impact when healthy. The guy has shown he can ball when he isn't injured. His defense and rebounding alone will have an immediate impact for us next season. He just has to get that hip healthy. His build and athleticism alone make him a great prospect.

Hawg Red

Quote from: jry04 on April 03, 2015, 10:09:33 am
I think he will have an immediate impact when healthy. The guy has shown he can ball when he isn't injured. His defense and rebounding alone will have an immediate impact for us next season. He just has to get that hip healthy. His build and athleticism alone make him a great prospect.

Would really help if we had Portis back to lower the need for Kapita to produce right away. He could provide the role of rebounder/physical presence down low while he figures the college game out. Portis will also make him a better player in practice.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 03, 2015, 09:50:39 am

Idk, with all the "expert talent scouts" on here that claim how good Babb was going to turn out to be after watching him play very little, it's not out of the question, for some of those guys to "know what they saw".   ;D

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 03, 2015, 10:25:38 am
Would really help if we had Portis back to lower the need for Kapita to produce right away. He could provide the role of rebounder/physical presence down low while he figures the college game out. Portis will also make him a better player in practice.

If Portis did come back, you could have Kapita play the 5 behind Kingsley, since he probably will be a little too slow for the 4 in our system right now. That will give Thompson another year to develop. Or, if Williams and Miles aren't contributing at the 4, you could go big and have Kapita play the 4, but not use the bigs on the press like we did in 1994.

I like the options tho. Should be fun. Let's hope we have to worry about what to do with all this talent when Portis and Qualls come back.

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 03, 2015, 10:25:38 am
I agree. It is scary to think how different things look without Portis next year. Keep Portis and we are definitely a top 25 team, with arguably the best player in the SEC playing in the post. Lose him, and we are relying on Moses, Thompson, and Kapita. A guy who was a role player, a guy who is a project, and a guy who has missed most of his senior season due to an injury. I think we both agree returning Portis is bigger than just next season.