Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gregg Marshall is Getting Paid

Started by WilsonHog, April 01, 2015, 10:27:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

$3.3 million a year for seven years. Makes him the seventh-highest paid coach in the country, behind Coach K, Calipari, Self, Donovan, Pitino, and Izzo.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/04/gregg_marshall_staying_at_wich.html

onebadrubi

He's losing his talent after this past season.  He took a huge decline after early (I think that's who it was) left, no he's looking baker and can fleet, he's in trouble.  I really thought he'd jump ship for that reason

Hawg Red

I think Baker and VanFleet are coming back.

sadhogfan

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 01, 2015, 10:32:55 pm
He's losing his talent after this past season.  He took a huge decline after early (I think that's who it was) left, no he's looking baker and can fleet, he's in trouble.  I really thought he'd jump ship for that reason

Van Fleet and Baker were both juniors this year. I don't think there's any way Van Fleet leaves early, and Baker isn't a sure thing either. It's very possible that they both come back next year.

passinghog

Alabama wasn't the place he'd leave WSU for, let's be real.

pigmailyen

Quote from: Showtimehog on April 01, 2015, 11:48:35 pm
Alabama wasn't the place he'd leave WSU for, let's be real.

But Alabama is a two sport school...

passinghog

Quote from: pigmailyen on April 02, 2015, 12:03:27 am

With a piece of junk arena with the fans don't care about basketball. Marshall isn't leaving WSU unless it's for a Arkansas/Michigan State type of job or BETTER. Arena plus a place that has a realistic blueprint to be elite.

intelligence

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 01, 2015, 10:32:55 pm

He has a 4 star SF signed in this class, and a 6'4 3 star shooting guard. couple that with two late signees(finishing school). He also has the 4-star PG transferring(Conner Frankamp, big time shooter) in from Kansas. He will be eligible to play next season. Wichita St aint going anywhere anytime soon. All they need is a strong season next year and they will continue to attract better and better talent.

WarPig88

Marshall is by far the best coach in the country at gaming the system.

Wichita St is an EASY path to the tournament and Marshall knows it. As a matter of fact, he has never coached a school that didn't have an easy path to the tournament.

He is smart enough to know that he is much safer where he is than he would be at a school that had to recruit against the likes of Kentucky/Florida or Kansas/Texas every year. He also only has to match wits with a top notch coach a couple of times in the regular season and then again only come NCAA tournament time.

When he leaves Wichita St. it will be a for a huge payday and he will likely fade from the college basketball scene afterward.

twistitup

Buyout?

He'll be at Kentucky after Cal goes to nba
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

k.c.hawg

He has the perfect situation. Several very good jobs will come open in the next few years,. He is able to get paid as if he is at a basketball power, remain in a situation that will not take any of the shine off of his star and wait for one of those jobs to come open.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

MountieDawg

SEC!

jgphillips3

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 02, 2015, 02:31:39 am

Wichita St is an EASY path to the tournament and Marshall knows it. As a matter of fact, he has never coached a school that didn't have an easy path to the tournament.

He is smart enough to know that he is much safer where he is than he would be at a school that had to recruit against the likes of Kentucky/Florida or Kansas/Texas every year. He also only has to match wits with a top notch coach a couple of times in the regular season and then again only come NCAA tournament time.

When he leaves Wichita St. it will be a for a huge payday and he will likely fade from the college basketball scene afterward.

Essentially, you are saying they are to basketball what Boise State has been to football.  Makes sense.

hogsanity

He is starting to remind me of Petersen when he was at Boise St. Turn down job after job until he sees either his cupboard is empty or he can go to a job in a power conference with not much pressure. While I thought he would jump ship, he did something even better, got a raise when it looks like WSU may have peaked.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

nwahogfan1

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 02, 2015, 02:31:39 am

I agree with you that Marshall may be bidding Alabama to get a raise at WSU but I disagree with you for thinking Marshall is not a top 10-15 coach.  To me if you can coach and recruit at WSU or any mid major then you can Coach/recruit at a SEC/Big 12 school.  You just have to reach out for a little bit better BB players but the higher profile school should offer you that opportunity. I think Marshall would make Bama a winner in one or two years.  I am glad he turned them down.  I want Bama to continue to suffer. 

hoglady

Played Bama for that raise at Wichita St. like a real pro.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

latrops

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 01, 2015, 10:27:01 pm
$3.3 million a year for seven years. Makes him the seventh-highest paid coach in the country, behind Coach K, Calipari, Self, Donovan, Pitino, and Izzo.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/04/gregg_marshall_staying_at_wich.html

So you are saying they have the highest paid coach in college basketball to have not won a national championship.  Good for them. 

Inhogswetrust

Wichita State puts a LOT of emphasis on basketball. Always have and even moreso since they dropped football.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WarPig88

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 02, 2015, 08:18:13 am
  I agree with you that Marshall may be bidding Alabama to get a raise at WSU but I disagree with you for thinking Marshall is not a top 10-15 coach.  To me if you can coach and recruit at WSU or any mid major then you can Coach/recruit at a SEC/Big 12 school.  You just have to reach out for a little bit better BB players but the higher profile school should offer you that opportunity. I think Marshall would make Bama a winner in one or two years.  I am glad he turned them down.  I want Bama to continue to suffer.

I never said he isn't a top 10-15 coach. I will say that he has shown little to no desire to coach against other top 10-15 coaches on a regular basis though.

The guy is highest paid coach to not have won a championship. He isn't dumb, but until he proves himself on a regular basis against the best of the best, you'll have to forgive me for not talking him up. Basketball is a sport, and sports are about having a competitive spirit. Marshall seems to not honor that spirit in his career choices up to now. He has had opportunities and turned them down to this point.

GatorHog

How does Wichita State (public university) afford 3.3M a year for a basketball coach?  According to Forbes, they are not among the top 20 most valuable college basketball teams.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2015/03/16/college-basketballs-most-valuable-teams-louisville-on-top-kansas-close-behind/

Didn't get any play in ESPN's "article" about profitable college basketball programs.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2015/story/_/id/12495302/many-ncaa-tournament-teams-did-not-turn-profit

The last point is half in jest - the numbers produced by many schools are almost certainly misleading.

GatorHog

WichitaStateRazorback

Quote from: GatorHog on April 02, 2015, 02:06:55 pm
How does Wichita State (public university) afford 3.3M a year for a basketball coach?  According to Forbes, they are not among the top 20 most valuable college basketball teams.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2015/03/16/college-basketballs-most-valuable-teams-louisville-on-top-kansas-close-behind/

Didn't get any play in ESPN's "article" about profitable college basketball programs.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2015/story/_/id/12495302/many-ncaa-tournament-teams-did-not-turn-profit

The last point is half in jest - the numbers produced by many schools are almost certainly misleading.
his new salary will be paid for by private donors...most likely Koch brothers

dbhog

Quote from: pigmailyen on April 02, 2015, 12:03:27 am

Yep.  Football and spring football.

pigmailyen

HF#1

It's laughable that Alabama thought they could actually land him.  He used them perfectly.  He's not leaving Wichita unless it's for Kentucky, UNC, or Duke.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

SONofHAM

Quote from: twistitup on April 02, 2015, 04:42:44 am
Buyout?

He'll be at Kentucky after Cal goes to nba
This is right on.  He will be coaching Kentucky next year.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Paul

April 03, 2015, 12:41:08 pm #26 Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:57:10 pm by Paul
Quote from: MountieDawg on April 02, 2015, 06:03:48 am
Pretty good for one Final Four.
That makes MA a relative bargain

kp72204

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 02, 2015, 12:50:24 pm
I never said he isn't a top 10-15 coach. I will say that he has shown little to no desire to coach against other top 10-15 coaches on a regular basis though.

The guy is highest paid coach to not have won a championship. He isn't dumb, but until he proves himself on a regular basis against the best of the best, you'll have to forgive me for not talking him up. Basketball is a sport, and sports are about having a competitive spirit. Marshall seems to not honor that spirit in his career choices up to now. He has had opportunities and turned them down to this point.
If he likes where he's at, then why should he move? Has he gone farther than our coach or is it just because we have a harder road to the top? If so, wasn't our coach getting paid more for doing less?

NaturalStateReb

I think this goes to show that the money is so big now everywhere, just throwing more money at a guy isn't going to be the kind of incentive it once was.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

passinghog

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 02, 2015, 04:31:03 pm
This is interesting.  Arkansas on the same level as Michigan State? 

They're both Top 15 all-time jobs? Yes

Acehawg

Hoggish1

Hogarusa

Quote from: Showtimehog on April 03, 2015, 08:52:07 pm
They're both Top 15 all-time jobs? Yes

Arkansas has 2 NCAA tourney wins since '98 and hasnt been in the Sweet 16 since 1996. Thats not a top 15 job.  Not in the same ball park as Michigan St.

I dont see why Marshall would leave his comfy job and top money at Wichita St to be the guy that follows Calipari.  Thats a losing situation.  32-6 and a loss in the elite 8 at Kentucky with a recruiting class outside the top 4 would be criticized state wide
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

secfan30

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 02, 2015, 04:31:03 pm
This is interesting.  Arkansas on the same level as Michigan State? 

My guess us he wanted "someone else" when Anderson was hired...

rude1

Quote from: Hogarusa on April 04, 2015, 08:45:02 am
Arkansas has 2 NCAA tourney wins since '98 and hasnt been in the Sweet 16 since 1996. Thats not a top 15 job.  Not in the same ball park as Michigan St.

I dont see why Marshall would leave his comfy job and top money at Wichita St to be the guy that follows Calipari.  Thats a losing situation.  32-6 and a loss in the elite 8 at Kentucky with a recruiting class outside the top 4 would be criticized state wide
^^This exactly. To mention the Ar. job in the same breath as Mi.Stat is absurd at best and not even debatable.

From what I have read on Marshall is that he isn't the most personable guy and that wouldn't bode well for him at all in the fish bowl that is Ky basketball. He is making great money where he is without the unreasonable expectations at the big programs, no need for him to move at this point unless he wants to define his career by winning a NC, which isn't likely to happen at WS.

Razorod

To me the job for Marshall, if he's to leave WSU, would be the Indiana job. He'd fit there much better than most other blue-blood programs. Plus, they haven't been exactly tearing it up over the last decade and a half either.

Our opportunity was when we were searching for a coach after firing Heath.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

passinghog

Quote from: Hogarusa on April 04, 2015, 08:45:02 am

Reading is fundamental; please try to read every word in the post. Clearly I typed "top 15 ALL-TIME." Try not to omit something just to try and make your point look accurate. Name 15 better jobs and get back to me (the quality of a job is totality of all factors).

passinghog

Quote from: secfan30 on April 04, 2015, 08:56:25 am
My guess us he wanted "someone else" when Anderson was hired...

both top 15 potential, but not the premier jobs in their conferences (Kentucky, Indiana)

Wisco Pig

Debating whether Arkansas is an all-time Top 15 basketball program could be a pretty good thread in itself, if it hasn't been done already.

Based on very quick research:

Most NCAA championships -- 14 programs have more than Arkansas.
Most Final Fours -- Arkansas is tied for 10th place.
Most NCAA tournament appearances -- Arkansas has 30, tied for 15th with three others.

HF#1

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 03, 2015, 12:02:05 pm
I don't think Marshall would show up on UNC or Duke's list of possible coaches...Kentucky's maybe.

Yes, he would...
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

passinghog

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 04, 2015, 05:55:26 pm
Not at all.  I don't see the two jobs at/on the same level at this time so I found the comparison unexpected.

Again, you should read ever word in the post. "Arkansas, Michigan State type of job or better." So, using basic logic, if you feel Arkansas is the worse of those two, our job would be considered the bottom mark and then all others are higher. Hence the reason for me using the word "better." Basic logic...

Hogarusa

Quote from: Showtimehog on April 04, 2015, 11:58:46 am

Reading is fundamental; please try to read every word in the post. Clearly I typed "top 15 ALL-TIME." Try not to omit something just to try and make your point look accurate. Name 15 better jobs and get back to me (the quality of a job is totality of all factors).

I read "all time", it doesnt change anything.  Not being in the Sweet 16 in 20 seasons does not keep a program in the top 15 all time. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hoggish1 on April 03, 2015, 09:49:32 pm
WSU is a one sport school...

Actually WSU puts some effort into baseball also...wait, is baseball a sport?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on April 04, 2015, 11:32:47 pm
Actually WSU puts some effort into baseball also...wait, is baseball a sport?

Good catch (pardon the pun). I forgot about their very good history in baseball.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi