Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quarterback prospects from Arkansas

Started by SEdrhawg, May 10, 2010, 10:16:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SEdrhawg

*Let me preface this post by saying that this post is in no way meant to be a negative post against any current or past quarterback prospect from the state of Arkansas*

That being said, when is the last time the state of Arkansas has produced a player at the quarterback position that made an impact on the national level?  Was it Matt Jones?  Can we consider him a "true" quarterback prospect considering that most schools (and the NFL) wanted him as WR.

Its not that we haven't had our fair share of QB prospects that were highly touted (Brashears, McBride, Leach, Mustain, Burns, Youngblood, Wilson-jury still out I guess on him).  And we can't blame all of these players busting on HDN because Mustain couldn't cut it here or USC, Burns never came here, and Youngblood/Wilson never played for HDN.  So what gives here?  Why cant a quarterback prospect from the state of Arkansas seem to make a significant impact on the national level (either here or at another school)?

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Ray Piggers

Mustain was 8-0 as a starter here.. And, Ryan Mallett grew up in Lincoln, Arkansas.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

SEdrhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on May 10, 2010, 10:49:55 pm
Ryan Mallett, perhaps?

Yeah, I wasn't counting RM because he is technically listed as a Texas prospect by Rivals even though we consider him a "homebred."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1542;_ylt=Ao2DyWA1VJlxg.eAzlvy7Jr2q5B4

Besides, wasn't he a tight end prospect coming out of high school  ;D

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: DahawgsN07 on May 10, 2010, 10:57:59 pm
Mustain was 8-0 as a starter here.. And, Ryan Mallett grew up in Lincoln, Arkansas.

Not ripping on Mustain but lets be honest, he was 8-0 handing the ball off to Dmac and Jones.

who knows

Quote from: LSPRazorbac on May 11, 2010, 12:44:59 am
Not ripping on Mustain but lets be honest, he was 8-0 handing the ball off to Dmac and Jones.

He must have been a better handeroffer then his counterpart then
Quote from: Ftsmithmike on October 07, 2011, 03:56:29 pm
This is what Game Day should look like.

MJ2

Good question.   Historically, the Hog QB has been an out of stater- Ferguson, Montgomery, Scanlon, Stoerner, Grovey, Jason Allen, etc.

But the best ever, is still Matt Jones.   

It could be the competition level in AR high schools in the past or the schemes being played, but I seriously think with the advent of the passing offenses, we are about to see more Arkansans succeeding at the QB position.

wholehog92

Quote from: SEdrhawg on May 10, 2010, 11:13:29 pm
Yeah, I wasn't counting RM because he is technically listed as a Texas prospect by Rivals even though we consider him a "homebred."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1542;_ylt=Ao2DyWA1VJlxg.eAzlvy7Jr2q5B4

Besides, wasn't he a tight end prospect coming out of high school  ;D

So you take Rival's list over your own knowledge that Mallett lived on the AR side of Texark, and grew up in Lincoln?  All your link shows is that Rivals is technically wrong about where Ryan is from and right about which high school he graduated from.

I'd say Matt Jones had enough of an impact to be one of the most feared QBs in the Nation.  To say he wasn't an impact HS QB prospect because he was drafted to the NFL as a WR is like saying Tebow had no impact as a QB prospect since he was generally shunned by the NFL community.  Caveat:  I have always maintained that MJ was done a disservice while he was here being allowed to play QB.  Even while he was playing I felt like it was a bad move for the school and Matt.

While it is true most of Mustain's success was due to handing off the ball, Jones, McFadden, and Hillis were all more effective with Mustain on the field.  Mustain at least threatened the safeties with the ability to throw it over their head.  To dismiss his record as a starter as a fluke would be a mistake.  He has not had the impact one would expect though.

Still considering 2 QBs from a state with a population of under 3 mill within a 7 or 8 year period is pretty impressive.  When you consider what could have been with Mustain, it is actually phenomenal.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

cbjagman

Quote from: SEdrhawg on May 10, 2010, 10:16:25 pm
*Let me preface this post by saying that this post is in no way meant to be a negative post against any current or past quarterback prospect from the state of Arkansas*

That being said, when is the last time the state of Arkansas has produced a player at the quarterback position that made an impact on the national level?  Was it Matt Jones?  Can we consider him a "true" quarterback prospect considering that most schools (and the NFL) wanted him as WR.

Its not that we haven't had our fair share of QB prospects that were highly touted (Brashears, McBride, Leach, Mustain, Burns, Youngblood, Wilson-jury still out I guess on him).  And we can't blame all of these players busting on HDN because Mustain couldn't cut it here or USC, Burns never came here, and Youngblood/Wilson never played for HDN.  So what gives here?  Why cant a quarterback prospect from the state of Arkansas seem to make a significant impact on the national level (either here or at another school)?
You just answered it in your own post: HDN is the major reason. Unfortunately these kids were never really going to advance their skills under this clown to warrant NFL offers at qb.

PHAHog357

May 11, 2010, 12:56:35 pm #9 Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:00:28 pm by PHAHog357
I will say this about that 8-0 record MM is given credit for.

Give me his numbers and then look at 5,25, and 22 then just be honest with yourself; Who deserves credit? 
What was his Td to pick ratio? He almost cost us Bama and who knows what S.Carolina would have been like.

He has ALWAYS struggled against speed. He struggled against Central in '05, Numbers against Evangel in 06 were modest at best 17-35 (Ramon Broadway was a beast), Army AA game 1-11.

Sure he can put up big numbers against Alma and FS Southside but when that talent increases his play decreases just fact.

He also rode DW's back to get his awards DW was the real talent. 

Ninohog© out!!
Ninohog never forgotten

hog_fan

Quote from: PHAHog357 on May 11, 2010, 12:56:35 pm
I will say this about that 8-0 record MM is given credit for.

Give me his numbers and then look at 5,25, and 22 then just be honest with yourself; Who deserves credit? 
What was his Td to pick ratio? He almost cost us Bama and who knows what S.Carolina would have been like.

He has ALWAYS struggled against speed. He struggled against Central in '05, Numbers against Evangel in 06 were modest at best 17-35 (Ramon Broadway was a beast), Army AA game 1-11.

Sure he can put up big numbers against Alma and FS Southside but when that talent increases his play decreases just fact.

He also rode DW's back to get his awards DW was the real talent. 

Ninohog© out!!

How come Casey wasn't undefeated then since all he did was handoff as well? The fact is the wildcat was practiced more in practice when the QB's should have been getting reps. Neither one were getting the amount of reps needed. The fact is we won the Alabama game. The pass at the end is all that matters. Move on with your life. You are still hating on a guy 3 years after he is gone. Nutt is a piss poor coach and from 2000 with exception of Matt Jones every QB failed under Nutt. And Jones said screw it and did what he wanted. He took Snead a projected # 1 pick and destroyed him.

hog_fan

MM freshman numbers were similar to Stafford. Freshman QB's aren't known for being great. Another fact ignored. He should have been redshirted, but once again Nutt put his own desires over what was best for the team. And when you have players refusing to catch passes from him in practice it doesn't help. Only an idiot doesn't get his starting QB's reps in practice.

hogfan28

20 years from now some on this board will still be bashing MM.  the fact is, he was 8-0 as a freshman starter.  you think anyone from Alabama thinks any less of their starter from last year since all he did was go undefeated by basically handing off to 2 stud rbs and relying on their great D?  and no im not from NWA. 

sickboy

I don't see how Mustain is a bust. If he stayed at Arkansas he would have probably been the starter last year and this year and Mallett would never have come. Instead he transfered and sat behind John David Booty, Mark Sanchez and Matt Barkley/Aaron Corp. Every one of those quarterbacks was a 5 star quarterback with top level talent...like Mustain. He's a good quarterback on a roster full of good quarterbacks.

Just because he didn't stay in Arkansas and become a hometown legend doesn't mean he's Gary Brashears. And I guarantee you nobody, nobody would argue that Casey Dick is a better quarterback than Mustain.  If Mustain is a bust that makes our starting quarterback at Arkansas the last few years a big bust.