Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr. SEC: "Is Bielema a Fish out of Water?"

Started by WilsonHog, November 11, 2013, 06:43:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

poloprince

"Bielema was never a top o' the line recruiter in Madison.  With his style of play — smashmouth on offense, solid on defense — he'll have to lure more talent to Arkansas in the SEC than he ever did to Wisconsin in the slower Big Ten."
$PoLoPrInCe$

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: poloprince on November 12, 2013, 09:58:10 am
"Bielema was never a top o' the line recruiter in Madison.  With his style of play — smashmouth on offense, solid on defense — he'll have to lure more talent to Arkansas in the SEC than he ever did to Wisconsin in the slower Big Ten."

Whatever. Nobody at Arkansas has been a top-shelf recruiter since Frank Broyles. It's a fallacy to say Arkansas has to sign top 10 classes to win playing this style (whatever style it is...can anyone tell?).

This team would be winning now if it weren't so ill-prepared at a few positions.
[CENSORED]!

crazyrazy

WilsonHog you really wanna rely on "offensive improvement" stats over the last four games?  Would you agree that a QB's healing shoulder might easily explain those stats?  We have only gotten back to the level of mediocrity we started at, as far as I can tell.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 12, 2013, 10:08:18 am
Whatever. Nobody at Arkansas has been a top-shelf recruiter since Frank Broyles. It's a fallacy to say Arkansas has to sign top 10 classes to win playing this style (whatever style it is...can anyone tell?).

This team would be winning now if it weren't so ill-prepared at a few positions.
We sure do pass a lot to be labeled smash-mouth.

Hawgon

Well, maybe, instead of just saying, "You can't recruit at Arkansas" we should go out and hire a guy who is known for getting highly ranked classes.  It would be a bonus if such a guy were at a university of similar size and situation as Arkansas and that coach already had a great familiarity with and great relationship with high school coaches in Arkansas' traditional recruiting territories.

DeltaBoy

I believe we have 3 Sec caliber players per a year come out of Arkansas and 3-5 more that can be coached up. The rest of the states turn out way more ! This is not CBB fault.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bullet-Tooth Tony

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 12, 2013, 09:55:35 am
You are coming out with both barrels blazing...16 posts in less than 24 hours after you registered. Have you been on this board before under another name?

Stalk much? Long time first time.  Had to join, couldn't stand to read the patience preachers any longer without responding. 

The half back option pass for a ten yard loss that killed all momentum in the ole miss game was the final straw.  The most asanine situational play call I have witnessed in a while.  Ripping their d with 5 yds per carry, driving for the lead, and that play gets called? Mind boggling.

1highhog

Quote from: lowberh on November 11, 2013, 08:02:16 pm

It does not seem like the BOT, chancellor, or AD really did not do their due diligence in trying to match a coaching style with the talent already on campus.

You shouldn't need to as that talent will all be gone in 2-3 years

What talent are you referring to?  We had no talent in our back 7 on defense, that's not bashing the players we now have, that's just fact.  We've seen it over and over again all season long. It's not that they're not being coached right, they're just over whelmed talent wise and were when Petrino was here.  He saw no need to have a great defense when he thought he could out score everybody.

3BoarsDown

Bobby Petrino was a fish out of water but it was working until he couldn't control his little minnow and went fishing for tang.

bigbadhog

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 12, 2013, 12:28:23 am
Or he hired the most qualified candidate he could, no matter the style/philosophy. I can't be certain because I don't know Long personally like you guys.

We did that in Basketball too and after it didn't work out twice, we brought back MA to emulate NR because that is what the fans wanted. 
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

bigbadhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 12, 2013, 10:14:13 am
We sure do pass a lot to be labeled smash-mouth.

But smash-mouth teams are usually NOT good at it - like us...

Kevin

i wish fans would realize there are maybe 5 teams nationally that can recruit at the alabama & lsu level.

i think at arkansas, you have to get the players they cannot take.

the thing i like about this staff is they will take their shot. can they close on a few will be the key. like collins, koehler, kirkland, skipper.

then you have to be a great talent evaluator/character evaluator. be able to find the guys that fit what you do. find talent that the national guys miss. you need players who will go beyond the time spent with coaches, to make themselves better. (that is character)

last thing, great at player development. when you get them to campus, you have to have the best in strength & conditioning (which i think we do), and you coaches need to be great teachers.

people have been bashing coach smith about the wr. since the bye week, hatcher has not dropped a ball, horton finally decided to get with the program. it looks like if the players will commit to do what the coaches are coaching, they become better.

wrap it up:

recruiting at arkansas:
get studs that other programs, cannot take because of numbers
be great at talent & character evaluation on players
coach players to get better
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MJ2

Not sure about him being a fish out of water, but he certainly is floundering.

bigbadhog

Quote from: Kevin on November 12, 2013, 11:04:44 am
i wish fans would realize there are maybe 5 teams nationally that can recruit at the alabama & lsu level.

i think at arkansas, you have to get the players they cannot take.

the thing i like about this staff is they will take their shot. can they close on a few will be the key. like collins, koehler, kirkland, skipper.

then you have to be a great talent evaluator/character evaluator. be able to find the guys that fit what you do. find talent that the national guys miss. you need players who will go beyond the time spent with coaches, to make themselves better. (that is character)

last thing, great at player development. when you get them to campus, you have to have the best in strength & conditioning (which i think we do), and you coaches need to be great teachers.

people have been bashing coach smith about the wr. since the bye week, hatcher has not dropped a ball, horton finally decided to get with the program. it looks like if the players will commit to do what the coaches are coaching, they become better.

wrap it up:

recruiting at arkansas:
get studs that other programs, cannot take because of numbers
be great at talent & character evaluation on players
coach players to get better

And run a different philosophy that makes good recruits want to come here - the "Nolan Richardson" theory.  We kind of whiffed on that one with BB... 

EastexHawg

Quote from: locusbug on November 12, 2013, 06:29:33 am
Dang those facts have a way of messing you up. Hard to wallow in self- pity when the facts show improvement.  ;)

Is who we played in those four games, and how good they have been on defense against every other team on their schedules, part of the "facts"?

We have scored fewer points than our opponents allow...on average...in all six SEC losses.  In only two of those six have we come within a touchdown of the average number of points allowed by that opponent.

EastexHawg

Quote from: 1highhog on November 12, 2013, 10:40:12 am
It's not that they're not being coached right, they're just over whelmed talent wise and were when Petrino was here.  He saw no need to have a great defense when he thought he could out score everybody.

Isn't it about time for your cohort to chime in with his "little Bobby couldn't beat Alabama!" routine?  After all, considering he was .500 against LSU and was beating everyone else (South Carolina, A&M, Auburn, Ole Miss) consistently, wasn't that the primary complaint about him?  That he couldn't beat Saban?

While that's true, Little Bobby's last two games against Saban resulted in a combined differential of 28 points...Alabama 24, Arkansas 20 and Alabama 38, Arkansas 14.

The next two years, sans Little Bobby, resulted in:  Alabama 52, Arkansas 0 and Alabama 52, Arkansas 0.

While I fail to see improvement from the results attained by Little Bobby, I must compliment our consistency.

Discuss among yourselves.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Bullet-Tooth Tony on November 12, 2013, 10:34:11 am
Stalk much? Long time first time.  Had to join, couldn't stand to read the patience preachers any longer without responding. 

The half back option pass for a ten yard loss that killed all momentum in the ole miss game was the final straw.  The most asanine situational play call I have witnessed in a while.  Ripping their d with 5 yds per carry, driving for the lead, and that play gets called? Mind boggling.
Stalk you? Why would I? I couldn't avoid you with your 30+ posts in less than 24 hours. First time my arse. You are too familar with everything. Carry on.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Silver Hog

Quote from: MJ2 on November 12, 2013, 11:48:47 am
Not sure about him being a fish out of water, but he certainly is floundering.

razorpimp

Another hard nosed, control the clock, defensive first guy.....was he a "fish out of water"?

1995   MSU    6-5-1
1996   MSU    6-6
1997   MSU    7-5
1998   MSU    6-6
1999   MSU    9-2
2000   LSU     8-4

simmer down folks.....

Bullet-Tooth Tony

Quote from: razorpimp on November 12, 2013, 02:57:28 pm
Another hard nosed, control the clock, defensive first guy.....was he a "fish out of water"?

1995   MSU    6-5-1
1996   MSU    6-6
1997   MSU    7-5
1998   MSU    6-6
1999   MSU    9-2
2000   LSU     8-4

simmer down folks.....

Did he ever go 3-9?

razorpimp

razorpimp

Trust me I'm not saying Bielema is anything close to Saban, but you have to give the man some time.  His track record at Wisconsin was better than Saban's. 

razorbackkid

We will all know for sure in about 3 years.  Things will get better or else the man is going to have another job.  This year is about as bad as it gets.  If he can't get us to five or six wins by year 3, well, we will need a change.

Go Hogs.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

rude1

Quote from: razorbackid on November 12, 2013, 04:44:10 pm
We will all know for sure in about 3 years.  Things will get better or else the man is going to have another job.  This year is about as bad as it gets.  If he can't get us to five or six wins by year 3, well, we will need a change.

Go Hogs.
3 years to get to .500 ball? Well let's not set the bar too high for this outstanding coaching staff.

razorbackkid

Quote from: rude1 on November 12, 2013, 06:48:42 pm
3 years to get to .500 ball? Well let's not set the bar too high for this outstanding coaching staff.
Maybe you should check your sarcasm meter...;)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

westside_player

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 12, 2013, 10:08:18 am

You wouldn't call Nutt a top shelf recruiter? What does that term mean anyway?

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

wildturkey8

Quote from: razorpimp on November 12, 2013, 04:23:35 pm
7-6 losing to ULM is the Alabama equivalent of 3-9
Alabama had much worse years than 7-6 prior to Saban's arrival.

Grizzlyfan

If Bielema underestimated anything, I think it was the quality of the athletes he would be facing week in and week out in the SEC.

snortman

Quote from: razorpimp on November 12, 2013, 04:23:35 pm
7-6 losing to ULM is the Alabama equivalent of 3-9

So I take it that they did not go to a bowl game like us?

snortman

Quote from: rude1 on November 12, 2013, 06:48:42 pm

Why not, the same thing is being applied to the basketball team as well. Makes me sick to read this give us "3-5 years" crap. Too bad every job in America is not like this.

WilsonHog

Quote from: snortman on November 14, 2013, 02:28:55 pm
Why not, the same thing is being applied to the basketball team as well. Makes me sick to read this give us "3-5 years" crap. Too bad every job in America is not like this.

Pretty much every coaching job is, barring a scandal in the process.

moses_007

What has happened here is that he has tried to run the same offense he ran at Wisconsin, and he simply doesn't have the talent to run it.  What he should have done is let Cheney develop an offensive set that would have been ideally suited for our existing players.  If he doesn't do that for the 2014 season, we may be looking at a repeat of this year... and no fan will be happy to continue to watch losing football.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 14, 2013, 02:22:08 pm
If Bielema underestimated anything, I think it was the quality of the athletes he would be facing week in and week out in the SEC.

I find it hard to believe he didn;t realize what type of athletes were in the SEC. He knew damn well that the best were down here.
Go away, batin'

Jim Harris

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on November 11, 2013, 07:05:26 pm
People told John Harbaugh his philosophy would never work among the wide open offenses of the PAC-12. Lolz

Well, it's a good thing John Harbaugh was coaching the Baltimore Ravens, then. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

cosmodrum

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 14, 2013, 02:53:16 pm
Well, it's a good thing John Harbaugh was coaching the Baltimore Ravens, then. ;D

You know he meant Jim McMahon.
Go away, batin'

Redhogs

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 14, 2013, 02:44:24 pm
I find it hard to believe he didn;t realize what type of athletes were in the SEC. He knew damn well that the best were down here.
He knew or he should not be a D-1 coach...will the excuses on this board for this guy never stop? In 2 years we'll know where this program stands, it won't take 5 freaking years.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Redhogs on November 14, 2013, 03:54:30 pm
He knew or he should not be a D-1 coach...will the excuses on this board for this guy never stop? In 2 years we'll know where this program stands, it won't take 5 freaking years.

That's because YOU and a few others expect him to achieve what BP did in year three.  By doing that, you are REFUSING to acknowledge the influx of in state talent that BP had at his disposal.  They are COMPLETELY different scenarios.   

I would like you to list the in state athletes that are coming at the end of this season that are anywhere NEAR the collective talent BP had in his first two years.  Next, you'll say BP recruited those kids.  OK, then just list those that are available then. 

They simply are NOT available right now, so if you have the same expectation, then I'm curious to know why that is. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Oliver

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 14, 2013, 04:00:23 pm
That's because YOU and a few others expect him to achieve what BP did in year three.  By doing that, you are REFUSING to acknowledge the influx of in state talent that BP had at his disposal.  They are COMPLETELY different scenarios.   

I would like you to list the in state athletes that are coming at the end of this season that are anywhere NEAR the collective talent BP had in his first two years.  Next, you'll say BP recruited those kids.  OK, then just list those that are available then. 

They simply are NOT available right now, so if you have the same expectation, then I'm curious to know why that is. 

Let's start with Hunter Henry was going to be a Razorback.

No Petrino = no Mallett, No Wilson, No Joe Adams.  We know these are true because Mallett was not gonna play for Nutt.  Wilson was not looked at By Nutt, and Adams was a Verbal to USC before Nutt left.
Let's make some waves.

Hogs-n-Roses

Lets inventory this. 2012 football season was over. Was apparent JLS was not going to return. Rumors here in Arkansas had Petersen,Peterson,Gundy,Gruden were all names being thrown around as ones we've (through back channels) been pursuing. Some Rumors were that a contract had even been drawn up for Petersen and at the last minute he turned us down.

Its getting late in the process for the next years recruiting. Jeff Long goes to the Sports bazaar(don't really know its name). Maybe its the pre Heisman gala. Anyway it is the end of the year event where all the Coaches,AD's,players.... all congregate and rub elbows. Bielma and Long  talk since Bret had sent him a congrats letter over the show of integrity and their conversations evolved into a job opportunity.

Bielma apparently was unhappy at Wisc., Ark. needed a coach. Don't think there was much time for either to research their new destinations. I'm sure some posters can add to this as I'm being vague.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on November 14, 2013, 04:08:06 pm
Lets inventory this. 2012 football season was over. Was apparent JLS was not going to return. Rumors here in Arkansas had Petersen,Peterson,Gundy,Gruden were all names being thrown around as ones we've (through back channels) been pursuing. Some Rumors were that a contract had even been drawn up for Petersen and at the last minute he turned us down.

Its getting late in the process for the next years recruiting. Jeff Long goes to the Sports bazaar(don't really know its name). Maybe its the pre Heisman gala. Anyway it is the end of the year event where all the Coaches,AD's,players.... all congregate and rub elbows. Bielma and Long  talk since Bret had sent him a congrats letter over the show of integrity and their conversations evolved into a job opportunity.

Bielma apparently was unhappy at Wisc., Ark. needed a coach. Don't think there was much time for either to research their new destinations. I'm sure some posters can add to this as I'm being vague.

Pretty Much.
Let's make some waves.

EastexHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 14, 2013, 04:00:23 pm

Two points to illustrate that your argument is so transparent I can see throught it from here:

1.  You attempt to completely take the value of coaching out of play.  Yes, Petrino recruited some good talent.  Did anyone know how good the talent was when he signed the class?  As I recall, Scout has the 2008 class at #24.  Just for the sake of reference, they had his 2011 and 2012 classes at #19 and #17.  Is it possible that he "coached up" that talent, or put it in schemes designed to maximize success?

Nutt had talent, too.  DMac, Matt Jones, Tony Ugoh, Shawn Andrews, Felix, Hillis, Kenoy Kennedy, Jason Peters, etc.  How did that work out for him?  Did he ever make it to a BCS bowl?  Did he finish in the top 10, much less top 5?

John L. Smith and crew had talent, too...the talent left behind by Petrino.  Wilson, Knile, Dennis Johnson, Small, JWill, Swanson, Alvin Bailey...well, you get the picture.  What did he/they achieve?

2.  You have tried to cleverly frame your argument.  You try to stipulate that no one will be able to judge the success (or lack thereof) and abilities of the current staff for years to come.  Isn't that convenient?  After all, who is going to remember these little exchanges, and who was involved in them, in three to five years?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on November 14, 2013, 04:06:05 pm
Let's start with Hunter Henry was going to be a Razorback.

No Petrino = no Mallett, No Wilson, No Joe Adams.  We know these are true because Mallett was not gonna play for Nutt.  Wilson was not looked at By Nutt, and Adams was a Verbal to USC before Nutt left.

This effectively sums up your ability to actually address the post accurately.  TOTAL FAILURE on your part.  I think you should read it again.   

I don't CARE about the argument about how great BP was at getting those kids to campus.  I don't care if it was the best recruiting in the history of mankind.  That's NOT my point AT ALL.  It is that he had players from the state TO RECRUIT.  CBB does not have that luxury.  He's having to go out of state into much more competitive environments to build depth, and to expect the same result in year 3...is not realistic. 

You must have a really long neck and great vision, because BP's in WKY now, and you can still somehow see despite your head being in his rear.  Amazing.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Redhogs on November 14, 2013, 03:54:30 pm

How you pull any sort of excuse out of my post is beyond me. The man realized how tought the SEC was before he got here. Small children in Newfoundland know how hard the SEC is.
Go away, batin'

Hogs-n-Roses

I don't see Bielema as a fish out of water as much as a smart fish. He saw it as a million dollar raise, get away from where he is un happy, finally get funding for a staff. Move away from Madison. If it fails he will still have his big 10 accolades and can just say no one could have turned around the dumpster fire known as Arky.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 14, 2013, 04:24:27 pm
Two points to illustrate that your argument is so transparent I can see throught it from here:

1.  You attempt to completely take the value of coaching out of play.  Yes, Petrino recruited some good talent.  Did anyone know how good the talent was when he signed the class?  As I recall, Scout has the 2008 class at #24.  Just for the sake of reference, they had his 2011 and 2012 classes at #19 and #17.  Is it possible that he "coached up" that talent, or put it in schemes designed to maximize success?

Nutt had talent, too.  DMac, Matt Jones, Tony Ugoh, Shawn Andrews, Felix, Hillis, Kenoy Kennedy, Jason Peters, etc.  How did that work out for him?  Did he ever make it to a BCS bowl?  Did he finish in the top 10, much less top 5?

John L. Smith and crew had talent, too...the talent left behind by Petrino.  Wilson, Knile, Dennis Johnson, Small, JWill, Swanson, Alvin Bailey...well, you get the picture.  What did he/they achieve?

2.  You have tried to cleverly frame your argument.  You try to stipulate that no one will be able to judge the success (or lack thereof) and abilities of the current staff for years to come.  Isn't that convenient?  After all, who is going to remember these little exchanges, and who was involved in them, in three to five years?

Tell ya what..you continue to argue for BP's prowess for as long as it makes you feel better bud.  It's a joke.  He's GONE.  NEVER coming back. 

But...my argument was to illustrate that those kids were here, and they were from Arkansas.  They jump started BP's time here as they gained experience.  Where are the kids from in state that CBB has at his disposal to do such a similar HEROIC job of recruiting kids that grew up on Arkansas watching Arkansas? 

My point is that if CBB can add players like those we have playing this season as true Fr., and win 8-9 games, then that's an effective rebuild.  If we add more players that are in the league of the current Fr., then that's great, but there aren't 7-8 Arkansas kids that are on par with those that BP had on campus.  You can argue all you want...it's a FACT. 

wachhog

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on November 14, 2013, 04:08:06 pm

Its getting late in the process for the next years recruiting. Jeff Long goes to the Sports bazaar(don't really know its name).

You could well be right.  So tell me again why long gets a $100 k bonus and a 100 k raise...for essentially striking out and settling for what he could get?