Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BB's Strategy.....?

Started by LZH, February 04, 2017, 10:52:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

This year is the first year in some time that I have put any effort into reading about some of our new recruits this early on. I am neither excited or disappointed in this class, unlike many on here who lean one way or the other.

Even if this were a Top 15 class I wouldn't get too excited....just look at the number of 4-star players we have on the team now, but we have yet to see any 4-star results on the field. By the same token, I am not disappointed either, because at least we seem to be addressing some real problems. Mostly speed.

I don't care what kind of offense you run, or what type of defense you run, at Arkansas you must recruit speed. Above all else. This has been proven ever since we have been in the SEC. Maybe BB has figured this out.

And to have 4-star depth that can go 3 deep would be great, but it isn't likely in the near future. Arkansas has done quite well with having a few studs on offense and a few studs on defense when we have the right coaches in place.

Everyone knows that a dependable 4*-5* QB, which Bielema seems to do well getting, is Priority #1. To me, add a great possession receiver with size and a first round type LT, and that would set up our offense for success. Arkansas has never had any problem getting good running backs. The rest of the OL, which is obviously a problem right now, should be fixable (should be)...we've supposedly recruited well there. Or so we're told. A 2* kid with blazing speed? Split him out wide and sling it deep to him a few times each quarter. Even if he only catches one out of five, you still probably add 100 yards to your total offense. That is huge.

And BTW: I see several people complaining about seeing "ATH" on the list after signing day. To me, if a kid is say 6'0" 200lbs 4.4, and loves to play football, the coaches will find a way to put him on the field. And one or two of those kids just might be difference-makers.

Defensively, a killer rush end (I guess now is an OLB), a MLB that can run sideline to sideline, and a shutdown corner would be a damn good foundation for a Top 20 defense. A few All-Stars here could be complemented with plenty of 3* talent if the coaches are good teachers and really push hard.

Another BTW: this idea of Size Matters is lost on me. If we have a MLB that can run like a deer, can drop into coverage, and can tackle really well, who cares if he is three inches shorter and 15 pounds lighter? This has been Arkansas football for eons. The key is...he is fast. I'd rather have size elsewhere. All things being equal, give me a 6'1" 4.4 CB over a 6'4" 4.75 MLB any day.

I am in no danger of doing cartwheels anytime soon. And I believe it is true, the state of Arkansas has to have an outstanding class of seniors for the Razorbacks to have a good haul (the LRSD has ruined that for the most part). Anyway, we have hovered in or near the mid twenties for the past 15 years, or ever since the internet has turned recruiting into a sport in of itself.

Player development is key at Arkansas. But more than anything, at least as far as I'm concerned, you must get speed on campus. And not just decent speed, I mean real speed. Nutt's and BP's best teams were really fast. Hopefully BB has figured that out.

hawginbigd1

A lot of good opinions in there, and only mildly snarky, big improvement for you ;D

Bacon_Bitz

You didn't say anything about speed. Speed is important. We need speed. Above all else speed.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: LZH on February 04, 2017, 10:52:05 am
This year is the first year in some time that I have put any effort into reading about some of our new recruits this early on. I am neither excited or disappointed in this class, unlike many on here who lean one way or the other.

Even if this were a Top 15 class I wouldn't get too excited....just look at the number of 4-star players we have on the team now, but we have yet to see any 4-star results on the field. By the same token, I am not disappointed either, because at least we seem to be addressing some real problems. Mostly speed.

I don't care what kind of offense you run, or what type of defense you run, at Arkansas you must recruit speed. Above all else. This has been proven ever since we have been in the SEC. Maybe BB has figured this out.

And to have 4-star depth that can go 3 deep would be great, but it isn't likely in the near future. Arkansas has done quite well with having a few studs on offense and a few studs on defense when we have the right coaches in place.

Everyone knows that a dependable 4*-5* QB, which Bielema seems to do well getting, is Priority #1. To me, add a great possession receiver with size and a first round type LT, and that would set up our offense for success. Arkansas has never had any problem getting good running backs. The rest of the OL, which is obviously a problem right now, should be fixable (should be)...we've supposedly recruited well there. Or so we're told. A 2* kid with blazing speed? Split him out wide and sling it deep to him a few times each quarter. Even if he only catches one out of five, you still probably add 100 yards to your total offense. That is huge.

And BTW: I see several people complaining about seeing "ATH" on the list after signing day. To me, if a kid is say 6'0" 200lbs 4.4, and loves to play football, the coaches will find a way to put him on the field. And one or two of those kids just might be difference-makers.

Defensively, a killer rush end (I guess now is an OLB), a MLB that can run sideline to sideline, and a shutdown corner would be a damn good foundation for a Top 20 defense. A few All-Stars here could be complemented with plenty of 3* talent if the coaches are good teachers and really push hard.

Another BTW: this idea of Size Matters is lost on me. If we have a MLB that can run like a deer, can drop into coverage, and can tackle really well, who cares if he is three inches shorter and 15 pounds lighter? This has been Arkansas football for eons. The key is...he is fast. I'd rather have size elsewhere. All things being equal, give me a 6'1" 4.4 CB over a 6'4" 4.75 MLB any day.

I am in no danger of doing cartwheels anytime soon. And I believe it is true, the state of Arkansas has to have an outstanding class of seniors for the Razorbacks to have a good haul (the LRSD has ruined that for the most part). Anyway, we have hovered in or near the mid twenties for the past 15 years, or ever since the internet has turned recruiting into a sport in of itself.

Player development is key at Arkansas. But more than anything, at least as far as I'm concerned, you must get speed on campus. And not just decent speed, I mean real speed. Nutt's and BP's best teams were really fast. Hopefully BB has figured that out.
I certainly agree that our overall team speed needs to be improved, particularly on defense. One more observation: I'm personally sick and tired of the "wow, we have the biggest OL in football" label we've heard about fairly frequently over the past several years. While size is great, if you can't move and block/pass protect effectively then having gargantuan players doesn't really mean all that much. If you have to slim down in order to move and protect better then do it.

luke hawg

You can't tackle them if you can't catch them. Arkansas defense should never sacrifice speed for size in the back seven.

luke hawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 04, 2017, 11:36:20 am
I certainly agree that our overall team speed needs to be improved, particularly on defense. One more observation: I'm personally sick and tired of the "wow, we have the biggest OL in football" label we've heard about fairly frequently over the past several years. While size is great, if you can't move and block/pass protect effectively then having gargantuan players doesn't really mean all that much. If you have to slim down in order to move and protect better then do it.

I'm not worried about any facet of the offense. The offensive line will only improve over the next 3 years until it stabilizes. Building true offensive line depth takes 5-7 years. You can moan and groan about any other aspect of the program developing poorly but the offensive line is on schedule.

onebadrubi

Quote from: luke hawg on February 04, 2017, 11:40:11 am
You can't tackle them if you can't catch them. Arkansas defense should never sacrifice speed for size in the back seven.

Technically your back seven should never have to be "catching" them.  Your back seven should always have the ball carrier in front of them, you are already beat when the ball gets behind the back 7. 

People fail to realize that you see bama and LSU DB's and for most part back 7 have the size AND speed to play physical, tackle a dominant RB as well as have elite speed.  These players do not grow on trees, they are labeled top and elite coming out of high school for a reason.  Think back to our defensive strategy in the year of Spaight, Philon, Flowers, and Mitchel.  We as a defense gang tackled EVERYTHING the second half of that season. 

I said that to say this, you research this board 5-6 years ago and it was people tired of our back 7 giving up 3-5 yards after contact EVERY single time.  But, we had the speed you are now searching for.  I personally like the hedge to size instead of speed slightly and scheme to where we are gang tackling everything.  Last year was just piss poor at every level of defense for us and you are seeing coach depart because of it.  We ALSO are landing a few recruits with that elite size and speed. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: luke hawg on February 04, 2017, 11:46:33 am
I'm not worried about any facet of the offense. The offensive line will only improve over the next 3 years until it stabilizes. Building true offensive line depth takes 5-7 years. You can moan and groan about any other aspect of the program developing poorly but the offensive line is on schedule.

We did takea  step back last year and that is Pittmans fault.  But I agree with you.  We must pick up 3-5 quality OL each year and we are in good shape.  We also need no early departures like a kirkland the next 2-3 years to assist.  Ragnow really is the number 1 recruit in this recruiting class!

jkstock04

Quote from: LZH on February 04, 2017, 10:52:05 am

Good post. Some old school ways of thinking but mostly I agree with you. Especially about speed. I would take speed over size any day. Many times when we were out of position on defense is because we were too slow to be in position. How many times did we hear "setting the edge" throughout the year?

Schools like Bama get players with speed AND size. We don't have that luxury for the most part. If we have to develop lower end guys into players, maybe "athletes" with good speed but limited football skills (in comparison to our conference foes) is the way to go.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

luke hawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 04, 2017, 11:58:56 am
Technically your back seven should never have to be "catching" them.  Your back seven should always have the ball carrier in front of them, you are already beat when the ball gets behind the back 7. 

People fail to realize that you see bama and LSU DB's and for most part back 7 have the size AND speed to play physical, tackle a dominant RB as well as have elite speed.  These players do not grow on trees, they are labeled top and elite coming out of high school for a reason.  Think back to our defensive strategy in the year of Spaight, Philon, Flowers, and Mitchel.  We as a defense gang tackled EVERYTHING the second half of that season. 

I said that to say this, you research this board 5-6 years ago and it was people tired of our back 7 giving up 3-5 yards after contact EVERY single time.  But, we had the speed you are now searching for.  I personally like the hedge to size instead of speed slightly and scheme to where we are gang tackling everything.  Last year was just piss poor at every level of defense for us and you are seeing coach depart because of it.  We ALSO are landing a few recruits with that elite size and speed.

5-6 years ago the entire SEC wasn't running uptempo spread offenses. I agree that playing aggressive gap sound football is always ideal. The problem is we are getting murdered by teams spreading us out and taking advantage of mismatches. We have been terrible at limiting explosive plays. The fact is at this point there aren't enough teams playing power football to recruit against it.

Oklahawg

"We have yet to see any 4-star results on the field."

Lost me there. Plenty of 4-star performances.

Speed ramped up in 2016's class and even moreso in 2017. It will be obvious very soon.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pig in the Pokey

That whole "Let's be small but fast" doesnt work. You have to be able to tackle, too. You need big and fast or at least medium and fast.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

LZH

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 04, 2017, 12:53:57 pm

Speed ramped up in 2016's class and even moreso in 2017. It will be obvious very soon.

"C'mon man...."

Steef

I'm with LZH. (sorry Okla...but this is not really directed at you)

I am still PI$$ED over the Mizzoo game & VaTech game. If those two games represent '4 star results on the field'....then we are so screwed.

On paper, we have a decent recruiting class. That's nice.

Bret & Co....did absolutely nothing during 2016 to prove to me...they know what to do with them. In fact, he/they proved just the opposite. Sorriest coaching (all season...by everyone)...I've seen since Nutt. At least Smiley had a couple of excuses.

Can we please hire someone who can adjust a gameplan at halftime? Can we find someone who can form even a HALFWAY decent Oline that won't get our QB killed?

The last time I felt this way.... a different Razorback coaching staff was squandering the finest Hog to ever wear our colors. And his two amazing backups. Talent like that...CAN be wasted.

Did I mention that I'm still mad?

ricepig

Quote from: Steef on February 04, 2017, 01:15:39 pm

I am still PI$$ED over the Mizzoo game & VaTech game. If those two games represent '4 star results on the field'....then we are so screwed.

Bret & Co....did absolutely nothing during 2016 to prove to me...they know what to do with them. In fact, he/they proved just the opposite. Sorriest coaching (all season...by everyone)...I've seen since Nutt. At least Smiley had a couple of excuses.

Can we please hire someone who can adjust a gameplan at halftime? Can we find someone who can form even a HALFWAY decent Oline that won't get our QB killed?

The last time I felt this way.... a different Razorback coaching staff was squandering the finest Hog to ever wear our colors. And his two amazing backups. Talent like that...CAN be wasted.

Not all 4* are the same, if you're talking about changing the defense at half, we'll find out this year, won't we? On the O-line, go read some of FOTH's posts on the o-line play.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Steef on February 04, 2017, 01:15:39 pm

Here is the problem, you isolate a game or two to make your argument, then what do we call the Florida game?  A 5 star game?

lumphog

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 04, 2017, 01:40:28 pm
Here is the problem, you isolate a game or two to make your argument, then what do we call the Florida game?  A 5 star game?
You just can't reach some people.....the problem with the D at the end HAS BEEN ADDRESSED!!!! ADJUSTMENTS are coming & THAT'S the problem

Steef

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 04, 2017, 01:40:28 pm

We call Florida one good game out of a season. We call Florida what we SHOULD have been doing...for both halves...of every game. Not just one half per game. Or no half per game.

We call Florida the exception instead of the rule, for 2016.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: luke hawg on February 04, 2017, 11:46:33 am
Uhh...you might want to read again. I merely said that I'm tired of hearing all the hype about the OL being the biggest in football when last year they often times they couldn't get it done. I do agree (at least hope) that their progress over last season will take a big leap forward as we go into '17.

Steef

Quote from: lumphog on February 04, 2017, 02:08:44 pm
You just can't reach some people.....the problem with the D at the end HAS BEEN ADDRESSED!!!! ADJUSTMENTS are coming & THAT'S the problem

'Some people'....if you ask around, I have for years been a 'glass half full' kind of guy. So your mindless cliché doesn't fit.

Robb Smith wasn't the only problem. Robb Smith didn't almost get Austin Allen killed on every snap of offense. Robb Smith didn't create turmoil amongst the receivers. Robb Smith didn't recruit 'the biggest Oline in football' that routinely got beat by faster defenses. Etc.

Robb did have issues. Mainly... his boss hired his replacement the year before Robb left. I do hope his replacement does better.

But 2016's problems belong where the buck stops.

2017 still has to rebuild an Oline (in the fifth year, when an Oline should at LEAST have a one deep)...AND...teach a defense an entire new setup. And our toughest opponents are on the road.

JackJohnson

I have no issues with the way he has done things here as this formula got him to 3 consecutive Rose Bowls.  If we aren't winning 7-8 games a year in another 4-5 years then it might be time to start questioning things but until then just be patient while this program is being built to sustain and last.  After the situation he inherited I'm surprised he has turned us around this quickly to be honest

luke hawg

Quote from: Steef on February 04, 2017, 02:41:56 pm
'Some people'....if you ask around, I have for years been a 'glass half full' kind of guy. So your mindless cliché doesn't fit.

Robb Smith wasn't the only problem. Robb Smith didn't almost get Austin Allen killed on every snap of offense. Robb Smith didn't create turmoil amongst the receivers. Robb Smith didn't recruit 'the biggest Oline in football' that routinely got beat by faster defenses. Etc.

Robb did have issues. Mainly... his boss hired his replacement the year before Robb left. I do hope his replacement does better.

2017 still has to rebuild an Oline (in the fifth year, when an Oline should at LEAST have a one deep)...AND...teach a defense an entire new setup. And our toughest opponents are on the road.

We return more experience and talent on the offensive line next year than at any point during Bret's tenure. What are you even talking about? I don't have any idea what the receiver problem was. If it's pass catchers squabbling over who gets the most balls, I could care less.

factchecker

turmoil amongst the receivers.

I've never heard of this.  Who was fighting within the receiver group?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on February 04, 2017, 03:28:13 pm

Supposedly jealousy amongst some on being targeted, and when. Also, one didn't block as well for others, according to those who put out this theory.

LRHawg

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2017, 03:33:23 pm
Supposedly jealousy amongst some on being targeted, and when. Also, one didn't block as well for others, according to those who put out this theory.

What is this, high school cheerleader squad? Jeez..

JackJohnson

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2017, 03:33:23 pm

Its not true.  We have a players coach and as such the kids respect him and want to play for him and not let him down so this type stuff wouldn't have happened

ricepig

Quote from: LRHawg on February 04, 2017, 03:36:47 pm
What is this, high school cheerleader squad? Jeez..

Don't disparage those cheerleaders like that!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: factchecker on February 04, 2017, 03:28:13 pm

Come on Fact, Oklahawg practically blamed everything on Drew Morgan after the Belk Bowl. 

lumphog

LJHOG

Looking at the make-up of this year's class makes me think we're contemplating a move to the Big12.

Hambunctious

The plan for the far future should be cloning. Now that the telomere problem has been fixed, and cloned animals are living full life spans with no signs of illness, it should work for humans.  We just need some willing parents to surrogate, and raise the child to play football for the Razorbacks.

Who should we clone? ;)

LOL, it's just a funny thought that some hardcore fans of a football team might actually consider it.
I don't care if others use my avatar, but don't claim it's yours exclusively.

LZH

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 04, 2017, 12:53:57 pm

Topped out at 8 wins...add 56-3. Let me know otherwise.

hawg IQ

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on February 04, 2017, 11:33:03 am
You didn't say anything about speed. Speed is important. We need speed. Above all else speed.
I completely agree "SPEED" !  Speed kills, but another thing speed also wins !!

When I look at this past season, it almost like Murphey's law, it went wrong anytime it could go wrong.  Those last two game was like watching someone screwing up the "only" way you could to lose those games.

The coaches looked clueless and caught in some non-belief time warp. we lacked that one marquee play or player/coach to stop it some way. we had no answers to how or why we got beat.
I believe the one single missing ingredient was a lack of team speed !

If Drew Morgon was a step quicker he scores easily. If Brooks Ellis was a step faster , maybe not a first down here or there for the other team.
If a running back hits a hole a little quicker, he might score?  If we get a receiver behind their secondary for a score or two who knows.

When you see a Clemson or Alabama , their athletes look different, they look smooth and faster. Its not to be critical of  our players either, they have the heart, but there is a difference between a 4.4 and a 4.5 and that one little thing wins or loses.

Now obviously coaching was inept also and stubborn about plans, half adjustments, but recruiting overall team speed in the first place to start. we'll see in next couple of seasons, if this years class will provide proof in the pudding.
go hogs go !

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawg IQ on February 05, 2017, 09:57:25 am
I completely agree "SPEED" !  Speed kills, but another thing speed also wins !!

When I look at this past season, it almost like Murphey's law, it went wrong anytime it could go wrong.  Those last two game was like watching someone screwing up the "only" way you could to lose those games.

The coaches looked clueless and caught in some non-belief time warp. we lacked that one marquee play or player/coach to stop it some way. we had no answers to how or why we got beat.
I believe the one single missing ingredient was a lack of team speed !

If Drew Morgon was a step quicker he scores easily. If Brooks Ellis was a step faster , maybe not a first down here or there for the other team.
If a running back hits a hole a little quicker, he might score?  If we get a receiver behind their secondary for a score or two who knows.

When you see a Clemson or Alabama , their athletes look different, they look smooth and faster. Its not to be critical of  our players either, they have the heart, but there is a difference between a 4.4 and a 4.5 and that one little thing wins or loses.

Now obviously coaching was inept also and stubborn about plans, half adjustments, but recruiting overall team speed in the first place to start. we'll see in next couple of seasons, if this years class will provide proof in the pudding.

Let's start with a better game plan and making sure the defense is aligned properly to begin with, makes solid adjustments and doesn't hold our front four back from applying pressure and bringing some pressure through blitzes and stunts. If you are aligned correctly to begin with and then adjust the alignment properly when the other team shifts or puts people in motion, it might tend to put you closer to where the play occurs so that you are in position to make a play instead of lunging and trying to make arm tackles.

I would love for us to have more speed but honestly, when you are out of position to make a play it makes you look slower than you may actually be as a team when you do try to recover ground to make a play.

Let's just start with the basics.
Go Hogs Go!

ckhawgu

IF, and a big if, they can fix our OL issues for this coming year, we'll win a few more games. Everyone should know that our OL issues killed us last year! AA, being protected when passing, would have thrown for more TDs and fewer interceptions. As a result, we win more! Our OL, able to get a push in short yardage, the result would be more first downs and MORE TDs. As a result, we win more! So with that said, my hope is that they get this OL crap straightened out during both spring and fall camps so we can enjoy that side of the ball a bit more for this coming season! For Defense, with all the changes that are coming on that side of the ball, we'll see said the blind man...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ckhawgu on February 05, 2017, 11:08:28 am
IF, and a big if, they can fix our OL issues for this coming year, we'll win a few more games. Everyone should know that our OL issues killed us last year! AA, being protected when passing, would have thrown for more TDs and fewer interceptions. As a result, we win more! Our OL, able to get a push in short yardage, the result would be more first downs and MORE TDs. As a result, we win more! So with that said, my hope is that they get this OL crap straightened out during both spring and fall camps so we can enjoy that side of the ball a bit more for this coming season! For Defense, with all the changes that are coming on that side of the ball, we'll see said the blind man...

I don't think it is as big of an "if" as everyone thinks it will be. Young O-line last year, a DT learning to playing OG and having lost some experienced players. They will be better this year.
Go Hogs Go!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: LJHOG on February 04, 2017, 07:32:31 pm
Looking at the make-up of this year's class makes me think we're contemplating a move to the Big12.

Stir that pot!!!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

bennyl08

Depends on who you ask... Others would say you quickly become a sky is falling.

2016 ended on a bad note. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about that. The talent was there, and it has been developed well. What was lacking was the leadership last season. That is very common when you have a very young team, especially with a new qb.

Also, you are absolutely flat out wrong on having to rebuild the OL in 2017. We are returning 4 out of 5 starters. You are almost always going to lose one player. Losing 3 starters like we did for 2016, that is a rebuild and it happens to Bama even. 2017 we have a pretty well established 2 deep going into the spring with the only questions really at LT because that is the only player we lost. We have 14 scholarship players on the OL, i.e. we are 3 deep on the OL for 2017. You are letting your frustration of the last two losses blind you into entirely fabricating things to complain about. Last year's OL had talented players, but they were inexperienced (again, replacing 3 guys). This year, we return 4 starters and when it is all said and done, every single player will have been here for at least 3 years on the starting 5.

As for the other OL comment you made, you do realize that our "biggest OL in the world" OL's had sec and at least near tops in the country amounts of few sacks as well as one of the better rushing attacks in the country with 2 1k rushers in a single season. This year, we were replacing 3 of the 5 starters. Find me a time in razorback history where we had to do that and had nearly as productive as an offense as we did this year. Maybe back in the 60's, but there isn't a school in the country that isn't hurt offensively by replacing 3 starters. Not a single one.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 05, 2017, 11:01:52 am
Let's start with a better game plan and making sure the defense is aligned properly to begin with, makes solid adjustments and doesn't hold our front four back from applying pressure and bringing some pressure through blitzes and stunts. If you are aligned correctly to begin with and then adjust the alignment properly when the other team shifts or puts people in motion, it might tend to put you closer to where the play occurs so that you are in position to make a play instead of lunging and trying to make arm tackles.

I would love for us to have more speed but honestly, when you are out of position to make a play it makes you look slower than you may actually be as a team when you do try to recover ground to make a play.

Let's just start with the basics.

We've started with a pretty good game plan under Bielema pretty much every game. I'm very comfortable with our starting game plans in this era. The one gripe I have is 2nd half game plans. It has hurt us in several games.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Steef

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 05, 2017, 12:56:44 pm
Depends on who you ask... Others would say you quickly become a sky is falling.

You only know me in Politics, Ben. And we aren't IN Politics now. What little I've posted in MMQB (since Bret signed on) has been supportive. Admittedly, I haven't posted much.

So you're just wrong.

And....you need to keep the personal attacks out of your posts. Crap like that is why Poli got shut down.

2016 ended on a bad note. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about that. The talent was there, and it has been developed well. What was lacking was the leadership last season. That is very common when you have a very young team, especially with a new qb.

We did/do have SOME talent. We did/do have holes. The new class will help fill some of those holes.

If the coaching is up to the task.

Leadership doesn't have to be the QB. Trey Flowers says hi.

Also, you are absolutely flat out wrong on having to rebuild the OL in 2017. We are returning 4 out of 5 starters. You are almost always going to lose one player. Losing 3 starters like we did for 2016, that is a rebuild and it happens to Bama even. 2017 we have a pretty well established 2 deep going into the spring with the only questions really at LT because that is the only player we lost. We have 14 scholarship players on the OL, i.e. we are 3 deep on the OL for 2017. You are letting your frustration of the last two losses blind you into entirely fabricating things to complain about. Last year's OL had talented players, but they were inexperienced (again, replacing 3 guys). This year, we return 4 starters and when it is all said and done, every single player will have been here for at least 3 years on the starting 5.

We return a lot of starters that got Austin concussed. We're returning one truly SEC quality lineman.

I do expect them to be better. But that doesn't mean they'll be good.

The problem is....we are still 'the biggest Oline in football'. We have recruited towards that for Bret's entire tenure here. And I think it's been proven that it doesn't count for much when the opposing Dline is faster.

If/when Bret figures that out, we then have to start recruiting Olinemen that with faster feet, instead of road graders.

As for the other OL comment you made, you do realize that our "biggest OL in the world" OL's had sec and at least near tops in the country amounts of few sacks as well as one of the better rushing attacks in the country with 2 1k rushers in a single season. This year, we were replacing 3 of the 5 starters. Find me a time in razorback history where we had to do that and had nearly as productive as an offense as we did this year. Maybe back in the 60's, but there isn't a school in the country that isn't hurt offensively by replacing 3 starters. Not a single one.

1. Let's ask Austin if he felt protected last year. Your basic premise is just wrong.
2. Last year was year four. Which means our juniors and seniors were guys Bret recruited, not leftovers from Smiley. And we STILL didn't have an experienced STARTING front five, much less any depth. That's bad long term planning. Your argument that we had to 'replace' anyone in year four...really proves my point.

ricepig

Steef, when you had to start OL as freshman because of the lack of quality, then that hurts you down the road. I assume you would agree with this? We are just now starting to get some depth built on the OL. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the OL this year.

Now, I never understood the Froholdt move, but I don't watch them every day either. You can also put 33% of those sacks on the TE/RB for not picking up their guy. Throw in AA holding on to the ball a lot longer than BA did, and you get creamed. There's no doubt we had OL guys whiff on their assignments, too many to be truthful, but it wasn't all on the OL.

ckhawgu

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 05, 2017, 11:13:21 am
I don't think it is as big of an "if" as everyone thinks it will be. Young O-line last year, a DT learning to playing OG and having lost some experienced players. They will be better this year.

We should be better on the OL next year by default, with that I do agree. But, these guys have to develop further this coming off season during spring/fall camps to get to where they can be consistent and provide both protection, when passing, and push, when trying to get that short yardage, ground game rolling. We hardly saw anything remotely consistent last year in either category. At this point, with the group we have in place for next year, we should ONLY be pointing in the upward direction from an OL production stand point!

bennyl08

Quote from: Steef on February 05, 2017, 02:00:26 pm
You only know me in Politics, Ben. And we aren't IN Politics now. What little I've posted in MMQB (since Bret signed on) has been supportive. Admittedly, I haven't posted much.

So you're just wrong.

And....you need to keep the personal attacks out of your posts. Crap like that is why Poli got shut down.

I did keep any personal attacks out of my post. I never made any personal diagnosis of your posting style in my post.

QuoteWe did/do have SOME talent. We did/do have holes. The new class will help fill some of those holes.
If the coaching is up to the task.
Leadership doesn't have to be the QB. Trey Flowers says hi.-/quote]

Trey Flowers didn't lead the offense though. That was Brandon Allen. It still doesn't have to be the qb (adrian peterson says hi), but wherever it should have come from last year, it wasn't good enough.

QuoteWe return a lot of starters that got Austin concussed. We're returning one truly SEC quality lineman.
I do expect them to be better. But that doesn't mean they'll be good.
The problem is....we are still 'the biggest Oline in football'. We have recruited towards that for Bret's entire tenure here. And I think it's been proven that it doesn't count for much when the opposing Dline is faster.
If/when Bret figures that out, we then have to start recruiting Olinemen that with faster feet, instead of road graders.

If we only return one "truly" SEC quality lineman, then I feel sorry for the rest of the SEC who must not even return P5 quality linemen. How many times did our OL get physically beat last year? During the Auburn game, sure. For the first half the season, penetration came primarily from missed assignments. That comes from mental errors which is to be expected from first year starters. Particularly when one of those was playing DL the year before. I'm assuming you've competed at things before. That jump from the first year doing something to the second year mentally is massive. For example, show first year debate students the state championship debate and the assignment becomes write down as many total words as you can actually hear. Out of an hour long debate, the words are so fast that a top score would be 10 total words. Watch the same tape as a 2nd year and it actually sounds slow, you have to look at first year faces to convince yourself it is the same thing.

What do you consider to be "getting it done" on the OL? That there would be no team in the entire country that gets pressure on us? 2013 we broke in a brand new OL and things were bad. 2014 and 2015, our OL was one of the best in the SEC both years. Missouri and Alabama got some pressure, but in those two years, we had 3 1000 yard rushers, fewest sacks in the SEC, and one of the most efficient and in 2015 prolific passers in the SEC. If that isn't getting it done, then what is the bare minimum to be satisfactory? Absolutely zero pressure ever on the QB? Convert every single blank and short? No exceptions. Do we have to have somebody at the heisman trophy presentation? Is the OL only successful if we have a top 10 pick? Give me some sort of quantifiable rubric here.

Quote1. Let's ask Austin if he felt protected last year. Your basic premise is just wrong.
2. Last year was year four. Which means our juniors and seniors were guys Bret recruited, not leftovers from Smiley. And we STILL didn't have an experienced STARTING front five, much less any depth. That's bad long term planning. Your argument that we had to 'replace' anyone in year four...really proves my point.

1. You truly have a dizzying intellect. What does last year have to do with anything? Last year we weren't the biggest OL in football. Last year, we had three brand spanking new players on the OL. Anybody who knew anything about football knew that there would be growing pains. Maybe we became the biggest again in the 2nd half of the season when Gibson came in, but we weren't in the first half, and that was the half of the season that Austin took more hits than any other qb in the country. Don't think that the size change had anything to do with it, more a factor of the OL becoming more experienced and improving with the addition of Gibson. I can see where my premise would seem to be wrong if you make up what my premise actually is. However, if you read the words that I write, then my premise is correct.

2. What???? Let me quote you word for word here so that there can't be any claims of me twisting them or making something up here. "that we had to 'replace' anyone in year four...really proves my point" How often do you think ANY offensive line goes from one year to the next without losing a single starter? Much less, why is 'year 4' the one year that any coach worth their weight should not lose any starters to graduation or the NFL? Your argument makes no sense.

Now, should we have had more depth at the OL last year? Absolutely. However, that we lost 1 starter has zero bearing on that argument and in no way shape or form proves any point. Alabama lost at least offensive line player (presumably a starter) to the NFL each of the last 4 years. What a terrible coach he is that he couldn't keep ALL 5 starters in back to back years. What a slob. That he had to replace someone has zero bearing on the depth of talent waiting behind.

Now, why did we have to replace three starters last season? The reason is largely because there wasn't any depth when he came here. Kirkland had his three years and left for the pros. We needed help, so we had to go to the JUCO route to get some players who could come here immediately, so that's why we lost Tretola. Smothers was a Petrino recruit that had been developed to start here. That left us with Skipper and Ragnow as experienced OL players that had been here several years.

2013: Skipper (4 year starter), Kirkland (left early for NFL), Koehler (injury issues, can't predict future), McClure (juco). 4OL is fine for a single class, but with 1 being a JUCO, the other having injury issues, and the other being good but leaving early, didn't leave us with many seniors.
2014: Wallace (big time recruit, started for us this season after waiting behind other NFL caliber players), Ragnow (lucky he didn't leave early for the NFL), Tretola (juco because we didn't have depth or experience and needed help, NFL player), Pruitt leaving hurt. Only signed 3 OL that year. Need to sign at least 4. Well, we signed Jake Hall who was listed as SDE. He's a project OL player.
2015: Froholdt (started on the DL, became a truly SEC quality player at guard last season). Merrick (juco, but quality depth on the inside, Rogers (our future center and a strong candidate to have started at guard last season as well), Jackson (likely our LT this year, had the ability to play last year but wasn't there mentally yet). This was a very good OL class.

You are just wanting to complain for complaints sake it sounds like.

Steef

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 05, 2017, 04:07:59 pm
1. You truly have a dizzying intellect.

Thanks.

Since you deny ever making personal attacks, I'm going to assume you mean that verbatim.

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 05, 2017, 04:07:59 pm

You are just wanting to complain for complaints sake it sounds like.

Yeah....there wasn't a THING wrong with the 2016 season. Football perfection.

I hope Bret proves me wrong. I really do.

Bubba's Bruisers

Can't wait for the season.  It should finally tell the tale once and for all.  Year 5.  We should see something fo real in year 5.  Or not.  Either way, we should know.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 05, 2017, 01:01:08 pm
We've started with a pretty good game plan under Bielema pretty much every game. I'm very comfortable with our starting game plans in this era. The one gripe I have is 2nd half game plans. It has hurt us in several games.

A good game plan doesn't just include the first half. So yeah, let's start with a better game plan.
Go Hogs Go!

Tarheelhawg

A good coach can make halftime adjustments and a great coach understands the fluidity of the game and is able to make adjustments on the fly.  Just like on the battlefield , one is in a fluid situation where adjustment and adaptation are required to win and survive. 

I like this years recruits.  Not wonderful, but I believe the best overall for our team in BBs time here.

I continue to believe that BB is 90 percent of our overall problem in that he just doesn't get this team ready to play 4 quarters with conditioning and mental conditioning.  I also believe he will buckle down this 5th season and demand his staff and his players follow him and go be winners.  Once he proves to be one hell of a leader and he refuses to accept far less effort from everyone, including himself, we will see the true ability of this team start creeping through.  Getting ready, staying ready and getting the total abilities of all players from the number one best talent to the very least talent on the team will pay dividends.  This horseshut about not having time to train the seconds and thirds and not having time to even develop the mental approach to playing bigtime football is just that, horseshut.  So goes our HC, so goes our team.  No more excuses. 

As for BBs strategy:  College educated therefore he knows those 4 million annual paydays are not common, they are uncommon.  He will go to work.

presidenthog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 04, 2017, 06:05:31 pm
Come on Fact, Oklahawg practically blamed everything on Drew Morgan after the Belk Bowl.

I would love to see this post.

Also I have decided this team had terrible senior leadership. I think the defensive line had fighting amongst it. The recievers were solid for the most part. I know drew flew off the handle the last game but I didn't hear he fought the whole season. I wouldn't be suprised though. He was so arrogant he was probably selfish as well.