Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 NSD most disappointing class in a really long time

Started by Hogwild, February 02, 2017, 07:59:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

The two biggest losers on NSD without question were Ole Miss and Texas

Ole Miss- One thing you can always count on is for a head coach to praise his NSD haul, no matter how it turns out.

Hugh Freeze on his '17 class "This recruiting class was a penalty"
Atleast he was being honest, and said what every one knows. I can't see him staying there more than another season.

https://www.seccountry.com/mississippi/hugh-freeze-on-ole-miss-class-of-2017-x

Texas- 0 for the top 20 in the state.

You know it is bad when Baylor's twitter is trolling you.  (Can't post blocked at work)
http://247sports.com/Article/Texas-has-underwhelming-National-Signing-Day-after-missing-on-pa-51005716

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogwild on February 02, 2017, 07:59:18 am

Ole Miss- One thing you can always count on is for a head coach to praise his NSD haul, no matter how it turns out.

Atleast he was being honest, and said what every one knows. I can't see him staying there more than another season.

You know it is bad when Baylor's twitter is trolling you.  (Can't post blocked at work)
http://247sports.com/Article/Texas-has-underwhelming-National-Signing-Day-after-missing-on-pa-51005716

Just an opinion but the major losers that I saw comparing their results from last year to this year may be as follows:

Michigan State
Missouri
Ole Miss
Duke
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
NC State
Northwestern
Arizona State
California
Go Hogs Go!

theshiva

GoHogzzGo

I'm shocked by Texas. I know Herman just got there but thought he would finish stronger.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

MissippHog

Man, with that subject line I was about to come in here and give you a piece of my mind, lol.  But on to Hugh Freeze, pretty crappy of him to say that about his players that he just recruited to come play for him. 

Texas is the big surprise for me.  Texas should have a top  10 class every year and never take anyone but a Texas citizen.  Talk about a pitiful situation.  Good Location, Banner school, rich tradition, Rich school.  What the hell happened.

flagstaffhog

Quote from: 12247 on February 02, 2017, 09:15:10 am
Texas is the big surprise for me.  Texas should have a top  10 class every year and never take anyone but a Texas citizen.  Talk about a pitiful situation.  Good Location, Banner school, rich tradition, Rich school.  What the hell happened.

Arrogance is what happened.

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

Danimal

Quote from: 12247 on February 02, 2017, 09:15:10 am
What the hell happened? -- A&M joined the SEC.

3kgthog

Quote from: Danimal on February 02, 2017, 09:21:10 am

Which so many here wanted soooooo badly because they said it would help our Texas recruiting. Well, they own us on the field and in recruiting, so how's that working out?

Bubba's Bruisers

And the emergence of Baylor, TCU, and Houston. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ricepig

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 02, 2017, 09:41:58 am
Which so many here wanted soooooo badly because they said it would help our Texas recruiting. Well, they own us on the field and in recruiting, so how's that working out?

I doubt it mattered what some wanted, we weren't going to stop it.

hawginbigd1

You are outside of your mind, there is no truth to this..........even if the facts say so!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MissippHog on February 02, 2017, 08:21:29 am
Man, with that subject line I was about to come in here and give you a piece of my mind, lol.  But on to Hugh Freeze, pretty crappy of him to say that about his players that he just recruited to come play for him.
Not sure if he meant it exactly as it came out in the headlines; however, even if he didn't mean it quite that way I agree. It gives the impression, mistakenly or otherwise, that in general this class overall was just kinda of a "throw away" collection. Then again perhaps what we finally realized is that some of the questionable tactics they've apparently been using to draw such highly ranked classes over the past several years has finally come back to haunt them. Truly couldn't happen to a nicer guy. :) :D ;D

GuvHog

Exactly. It was the thing the Longhorns feared most. They knew that if the Aggies jumped to the SEC, they would pass the Horns in recruiting and that is what happened. I don't see the Horns being content with playing the also ran for much longer though and that's what they would be doing if they stay in the Big 12.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

sickboy

Quote from: theshiva on February 02, 2017, 08:19:50 am
The quote from Freeze was horrible.

Hugh Freeze is a dead man walking. And like all coaches who leave Ole Miss... he'll go nowhere.

Atlhogfan1

It wasn't A&M in this class.  A&M signed 1 of the top 25 from Texas (8th ranked recruit).  Same number as the Hogs.  The top 7 left the state.  Only 4 of the top 20 stayed in state.  This isn't an A&M problem for Texas.  A&M and Texas both have problems if this becomes the norm. 

Longer term what happened was Mack signed the wrong prima donnas from Texas, allowed the program to get too soft and stayed a little too long.  Then they fired a recruiter and hired a coach with 2 years head coaching experience. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Freeze is a stupid redneck overwhelmed by what is happening.  That was a horrific comment to make when you consider the kids who did sign on.  What message does that send to them? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2017, 12:26:27 pm
Freeze is a stupid redneck overwhelmed by what is happening.  That was a horrific comment to make when you consider the kids who did sign on.  What message does that send to them? 
Probably not an issue, as I think most of his recruits cannot read..
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

tophawg19

considering that we were beating them up until that point , it didn't hurt . What hurt was them hiring Sumlin and going to that wide open offense players love , and us hiring average at best recruiters . Our top 3 recruiters are 49,  89, and 183 and the 49 is Arkansas only
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hogwild

Quote from: sickboy on February 02, 2017, 12:24:16 pm
Hugh Freeze is a dead man walking. And like all coaches who leave Ole Miss... he'll go nowhere.

You can't let one ex coach cloud your judgement, most coaches that leave Ole Miss go to better places and do better things.

Pork Twain

Not seeing how this impacted Texas.  There are more than enough recruits in that state to feed several colleges.  Texas got themselves in this mess and I am loving it while it is going on because I have little doubt that they will soon be rockin again.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 02, 2017, 12:30:02 pm
considering that we were beating them up until that point , it didn't hurt . What hurt was them hiring Sumlin and going to that wide open offense players love , and us hiring average at best recruiters . Our top 3 recruiters are 49,  89, and 183 and the 49 is Arkansas only
Are recruiters ranked strictly off the players they recruit and sign?  If so Arkansas will never fair well there, even if the guy is a great recruiter and an awful recruiter could still look amazing at Bama
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 02, 2017, 01:08:14 pm
Are recruiters ranked strictly off the players they recruit and sign?  If so Arkansas will never fair well there, even if the guy is a great recruiter and an awful recruiter could still look amazing at Bama

Yes.  Saw Pittman on a top 10 list the other day.

Smokehouse

I was never one who thought TAMU would help our recruiting, but I think UT cratering (at the same time Manziel earned TAMU a ton of hype) has a significant portion of the blame for that. And not all of UT's woes are because TAMU joined the SEC. Was a huge mistake to let Strong stay on an additional year when everyone knew they wanted him out. Should have either let him go or figured out someway to help public perception about his job security. What elite recruit is going to be all in for a lame duck coach? Left Herman with a huge mess and not enough time to do anything about it.

No Hog fan wants to root for the Horns but we really need them to get back to at least decent.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: sickboy on February 02, 2017, 12:24:16 pm

One left Ole Miss, went to the West coast for a while as an assistant, became a interim HC, came back to the SEC as an assistant, became a interim HC again and then became the HC at LSU. And of course that wasn't HDN.
Go Hogs Go!

Earth Hog Fan

I had never heard of Musselman. But he's a teacher, demands discipline and builds from the defensive end first. I want our football coach to be just like him."

Danimal

I literally cringed when I heard they were joining. Called my dad and told him. His response -- "Well $hite, our Texas recruiting just got a lot harder".

hogsfan31

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2017, 12:24:18 pm
It wasn't A&M in this class.  A&M signed 1 of the top 25 from Texas (8th ranked recruit).  Same number as the Hogs.  The top 7 left the state.  Only 4 of the top 20 stayed in state.  This isn't an A&M problem for Texas.  A&M and Texas both have problems if this becomes the norm. 

Longer term what happened was Mack signed the wrong prima donnas from Texas, allowed the program to get too soft and stayed a little too long.  Then they fired a recruiter and hired a coach with 2 years head coaching experience.

That kisses his players

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 02, 2017, 04:28:27 pm
One left Ole Miss, went to the West coast for a while as an assistant, became a interim HC, came back to the SEC as an assistant, became a interim HC again and then became the HC at LSU. And of course that wasn't HDN.
Tommy Tuberville and David Cutcliffe also went on to have good careers after Ole Miss. Most Ole Miss coaches either go on to good careers or retire. Nutt was the major exception but of course we in Arkansas could have easily predicted that.

Bkhardicars

I hope for the best with our 2017 class and appreciate that they want to Razorbacks. Being honest, it is concerning to me that we are really not that far ahead of Ole Miss in spite of dark cloud looming over them..

lasthog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2017, 12:26:27 pm

Who can argue with this?

However, the most repulsive comment he made was that "We consider it all joy," quoting scripture that was pertaining to Christians being persecuted in the first century.

Being punished for cheating likened to religious persecution?

There is no limit, apparently.  :puke:

chenalhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2017, 12:24:18 pm

okay explain too me why we can't get 6-8 players a year from Texas

Sivad

DeltaBoy

TAMU leaving, Baylor TCU and Houston getting better and letting Mack stay too long crippled UT, Charlie Strong a good man but was not equiped for that job.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bville_hog

As long as Pittman is tied at the hip to Chaney, how well he recruits is irrelevant.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: chenalhog on February 02, 2017, 09:16:26 pm
okay explain too me why we can't get 6-8 players a year from Texas

Because we aren't putting enough emphasis on creating solid, trusted relationships with Texas HS coaching staffs. Just as Alabama did with a former team mate of mine, we need 1 recruiting position for a well known, respected and trusted former Texas HS coach who does nothing all year long but network with Texas HS coaching staffs. You have to build relationships to get higher valued Texas HS players steered (no pun intended) to the Hogs.
Go Hogs Go!

1highhog

Quote from: MissippHog on February 02, 2017, 08:21:29 am

Same here.  The OP was about to get a tongue lashing that his parents would be jealous us.  But I see his point now and well taken.  How would you like to be a recruit just signed by Hugh Freeze and have your Coach just say out loud to the world that you were a penalty.

claytongray

NSFW and is loud, but here's my response to Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c_I841J6_M

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

ImHogginIt

Kinda need a head coach that makes Texas a priority then it will work out just fine 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 04, 2017, 05:01:44 pm
Kinda need a head coach that makes Texas a priority then it will work out just fine 

Obviously that isn't all that needs to occur, but greater emphasis on Texas recruiting would be a solid step forward, IMO.
Go Hogs Go!

tusksincolorado

Hopefully Houston will take a step back this year with the lose of Herrmann...

Hopefully LSU will loose their shine in the Houston/East Texas market if they don't take a leap this year...

UT has a LOT of ground to make up...and it wont be 2017 or 2018...

Baylor is DONE...completely DONE...

TAMU is possibly on the ropes with Sullivan...

We need to regain our toehold in Dallas/Houston/East Texas...GO HAWGS!  :razorback:
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

TX HOG

Jeff Traylor was big 12 recruiter of the year last year I believe. He gets into any Texas HS, especially East Texas. Not sure if we have room for him on our staff.