Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rankings

Started by hawgfan4life, January 31, 2017, 05:05:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on February 01, 2017, 09:39:54 am
Look I agree 100% that you have to have talent to win, but what I've observed the last few days confirms what I've always thought about recruiting stars/ratings. Akial Byers is a 4* recruit when he's committed to Bama and a 3* recruit when he's not. BJ Thompson is a 3* recruit or below until he gets last minute offers from FSU and Texas, then he's a 4* recruit. High ratings tend to go to players based on where they are going, and not based on the keen eyes of the people handing out the stars. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts that winning programs have higher rated classes.

And thats only because of Nick Sabans reputation as a top notch evaluator. I'm telling you these services don't have a clue what they are doing. Bobby is one of the best evaluators of talent in the game. When we get a guy who has a Louisville offer or an Alabama offer I always feel good about him. I support CBB because he's our coach. But I also know we can do better. Because we have.

Biggus Piggus

I do not care where this recruiting class ranks! Who gives a flying Frank? Evaluate the signees! Ranking comparisons are noise.

Chase Hayden is a 3-star on 24/7. He's the son of former Vol/NFL RB Aaron Hayden. He was a highly successful high school back with excellent speed/quickness, has a great ceiling. Had he committed to one of the so-called name schools that chased him, Hayden would have been a 4-star.

Koilan Jackson is a 3-star too. He is the son of former Sooner/NFL TE Keith Jackson. He has tremendous upside potential. Why is he a 3-star? Early Arkansas commit.

Jordon Curtis from Jenks is a potential all-league cornerback. 3-star. Kamren Curl, 3-star. Korey Hernandez, 3-star.

Josh Paul from New Orleans, defensive player of the year on his level, 3-star.

De'Vion Warren, Jarrod Barnes, hardly evaluated by outsiders, but they are the same talent level as other receivers who have been successful at Arkansas. 3-star.

Maleek Barkley was chased late by a lot of high-majors. 3-star.

Maleek Williams is an exciting RB who had huge yards against Florida competition. 3-star.

Daulton Hyatt was a 66% passer, 25 TD/5 INT, as a senior. 3-star.

Dalton Wagner, Kirby Adcock, Shane Clenin - big frames, pro potential, 3-stars.

Kyrei Fisher is a good-sized LB who had offers from Michigan State and Colorado. 3-star.

This class has plenty of talent.
[CENSORED]!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on February 01, 2017, 09:41:32 am

Stars do not matter. And I'll tell you why.

BECAUSE THE GUYS ARE THE BEST AT EVALUATING TALENT ARE ON THE SIDELINES EVERY WEEKEND MAKING THE BIG MONEY.

But we've been over this.  It's not about evaluations.  Ever.  Nobody has really ever said our coaches can't properly evaluate.  It's about recruiting.  Recruiting is where it gets very difficult.  We can evaluate correctly all day long, but we still have to convince the kid we evaluated highly to sign on the dotted line.  That's the hard part.

And speaking of evaluations, I bet when you look at the first 100 or so offers that go out each year, they are largely to the higher ranked, more recruited players.  That's no coincidence.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pork Twain

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 31, 2017, 07:19:40 pm
Nebraska, Va. Tech and Oregon a couple times have all played for it and are not averaging anywhere near top 10 maybe not even 20. Auburns championship had I think 4 players that were huge contributors to the NC team from their #4 ranked class, their average was like # 17. This is not the whole story, when does it come into the thought process that Saban and Meyer are dominating this landscape over the last decade, and it has just as much to do with them as it does stars. Stars matter, but as soon as Saban and Meyer get out you are going to see these other lower ranked schools in the mix more often. The Wisconsins, Oregons, Washingtons, TCUs and others are going to break the barrier soon IMO. Having the great classes stacks the deck in their favor, just like great coaches stack the deck. But mark it down this narrative is going to be broken.

Look up the difference between the terms "exception" and "norm"
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogcard1964

Its my opinion. Therefore its not subject to your simple evaluation. You want to tell me that I'm wrong I'll listen. Want to show me why ? I'll listen. The guy I mentioned gave us back to back top ten finishes with classes ranked from 25th to 35th. Thats either coaching our guys up OR the rankings are wrong. You can't have it both ways. BTW the current coach has had the same success or maybe even more in recruiting rankings. Yet he hasn't sniffed the top ten. Now if you say that he is rebuilding that means CBP was also rebuilding. I shudder to think what could have been accomplished here if that was the case.

Problem with Arkansas is we let the morality of the few control the entertainment dollars of the many. There is no other place in the world where a bean counter AD like Jeff Long would have more value than a brilliant coach like Bobby. And it wasn't just offense. He was brilliant with his defense , his special teams and his offense.

BECAUSE THE GUYS ARE THE BEST AT EVALUATING TALENT ARE ON THE SIDELINES EVERY WEEKEND MAKING THE BIG MONEY.

^^^^^

Post of the day

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 01, 2017, 09:55:35 am

Don't bother.  Very few can grasp the difference.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

tophawg19

when your top 3 recruiters rank 49, 89 and 173 you aren't going to do well
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

OutlawHawg

What worries me about this class is that most of our recruits lack quality offers from other schools. Look at our OL commits - we aren't beating out big time programs for these guys. Not saying they can't develop but we're never going to turn the corner in the SEC beating out Colorado State and LaTech for recruits.

OutlawHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 01, 2017, 09:48:23 am
I do not care where this recruiting class ranks! Who gives a flying Frank? Evaluate the signees! Ranking comparisons are noise.

Chase Hayden is a 3-star on 24/7. He's the son of former Vol/NFL RB Aaron Hayden. He was a highly successful high school back with excellent speed/quickness, has a great ceiling. Had he committed to one of the so-called name schools that chased him, Hayden would have been a 4-star.

Koilan Jackson is a 3-star too. He is the son of former Sooner/NFL TE Keith Jackson. He has tremendous upside potential. Why is he a 3-star? Early Arkansas commit.

Jordon Curtis from Jenks is a potential all-league cornerback. 3-star. Kamren Curl, 3-star. Korey Hernandez, 3-star.

De'Vion Warren, Jarrod Barnes, hardly evaluated by outsiders, but they are the same talent level as other receivers who have been successful at Arkansas. 3-star.

Maleek Williams is an exciting RB who had huge yards against Florida competition. 3-star.

Kyrei Fisher is a good-sized LB who had offers from Michigan State and Colorado. 3-star.

Whatever makes you feel better about today. "Big Frames" lol.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: OutlawHawg on February 01, 2017, 10:31:40 am
What worries me about this class is that most of our recruits lack quality offers from other schools. Look at our OL commits - we aren't beating out big time programs for these guys. Not saying they can't develop but we're never going to turn the corner in the SEC beating out Colorado State and LaTech for recruits.

It's a fair point, but maybe some comfort can come from the fact that many of these guys were offered and committed very early in the process.  Suggests they were guys the staff targeted early on...not necessarily fall back plans.

From an offer sheet standpoint, the strength of the class is made up of offensive skill players and DB's...especially DB's.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: OutlawHawg on February 01, 2017, 10:33:10 am

You obviously don't even know what that means.
[CENSORED]!

redleg

Arkansas' 2017 recruiting class is ranked #28 by 247Sports, #26 by Scout, #24 by rivals, and #24 by ESPN. Averaged out, that gives the Hogs the #25 class in the nation. That's pretty good. Great to get Calloway, as well as late Juco signee, DE Gabe Richardson.
This class will help immediately in the secondary, at LB, and at WR.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 01, 2017, 09:55:35 am
I understand the difference, the norm now mostly involves Saban, Bowden, Meyer etc. we will not recruit with those guys or 10-12 other programs where the most highly rated recruits live and play. Those coaches have more to do with who is winning the championships, than the star ranking system.

trphog

Actual 2016 SEC-W Standings followed by their average SEC-W recruiting ranking from the past 4 years (2013-16)
1) Alabama - #1
2) Auburn - tied for #3 with A&M & Ole Miss
3) LSU (same record as Auburn) - #2
4) Texas A & M - tied for #3 with Auburn and Ole Miss
5) Arkansas - #6
6) Mississippi State - #7
7) Ole Miss - tied for #3 with Auburn & A&M

Other than OLE MISS's aberration, the recruiting rankings are pretty representative of where your team will finish. Sure there are some other factors at play but none as quantifiable as recruiting rankings.

MountieDawg

IF the players were only ranked high because Bama offered them then why the hell do they keep beating everyone!
SEC!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 01, 2017, 11:25:05 am
IF the players were only ranked high because Bama offered them then why the hell do they keep beating everyone!

Because it's a bad, uniformed excuse.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: redleg on February 01, 2017, 10:58:35 am
Arkansas' 2017 recruiting class is ranked #28 by 247Sports, #26 by Scout, #24 by rivals, and #24 by ESPN. Averaged out, that gives the Hogs the #25 class in the nation. That's pretty good. Great to get Calloway, as well as late Juco signee, DE Gabe Richardson.
This class will help immediately in the secondary, at LB, and at WR.
:razorback:

Yep, right in line with every other year. 

HF#1

This class will not move the needle for Arkansas.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bphi11ips

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 31, 2017, 08:15:29 pm
Is this a trick question kinda like "which came first-the chicken or the egg" ??? 8)

In this case, the chicken.

Stars matter, but they only tell us what we already know - the best players go to a handful of schools that have cornered the market on NC's since WWII.  In 70 years, you'll find an Arkansas or a Brigham Young or a Colorado here and there.  And you'll see Miami and Florida and Florida State emerge out of nowhere in the 80's.  But since 1946, you see Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Michigan, Texas, Tennessee, Penn State, Auburn, LSU, Miami, Florida, Florida State, and Clemson with multiple titles. Eight of those teams are in ESPN's Top 10.  All but one are Top 20 (Nebraska is 22).

So - do you really need a weather vane to know which way the wind blows?

The current media frenzy over recruiting stars is the result of the explosion of cable channels in the 90's and the direct-to-consumer relationships made possible by the internet.  It's fun to follow the athletes and speculate about every Twitter post.  Juwan posted a photo of Frosted Flakes, so he must be going to LSU.

At the end of the day, stars only tell us what we already know and have known for years.  Arkansas might win an SEC title, or even a NC again one day, but don't hold your breath.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HF#1 on February 01, 2017, 11:46:35 am

Arkansas needs a transcendent talent from in state or with ties. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HF#1 on February 01, 2017, 11:46:35 am

Maybe, maybe not.  The key will be retention and development.  But, yes, the class is on par with most any other year.

Peter Porker

Its my opinion. Therefore its not subject to your simple evaluation. You want to tell me that I'm wrong I'll listen. Want to show me why ? I'll listen. The guy I mentioned gave us back to back top ten finishes with classes ranked from 25th to 35th. Thats either coaching our guys up OR the rankings are wrong. You can't have it both ways. BTW the current coach has had the same success or maybe even more in recruiting rankings. Yet he hasn't sniffed the top ten. Now if you say that he is rebuilding that means CBP was also rebuilding. I shudder to think what could have been accomplished here if that was the case.

Problem with Arkansas is we let the morality of the few control the entertainment dollars of the many. There is no other place in the world where a bean counter AD like Jeff Long would have more value than a brilliant coach like Bobby. And it wasn't just offense. He was brilliant with his defense , his special teams and his offense.

Look at the key players from 21-5. There were some key leftovers from the Nutt era. Players like Jerry Franklin, Jake Bequette, DeMarcus Love, Ray Dominguez, etc (guys that played in the NFL), then you add a 5 star in Ryan Mallett (who isn't listed in the 2008 rankings, but should be. Add that to one of the best instate classes ever and you get the formula for 21-5. The problem with Booby is he never replaced that talent with equal or better talent. Heck, by 2012 we were starting 2 walkons on the OL and 2 freshmen at LB.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 01, 2017, 11:57:26 am
Arkansas needs a transcendent talent from in state or with ties. 

Burks could be that guy in a couple years, but we mainly need more numbers with SEC caliber in-state talent.  Players with some big boy offers.  If the state could produce 4 or 5 players each year of the caliber of Brown this year, it would be significant.   

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 01, 2017, 12:05:14 pm
Burks could be that guy in a couple years, but we mainly need more numbers with SEC caliber in-state talent.  Players with some big boy offers.  If the state could produce 4 or 5 players each year of the caliber of Brown this year, it would be significant.   

It seems to be getting worse.  One 4 star in state eligible to play at a 4 year college?  Awful. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 01, 2017, 12:04:29 pm
Look at the key players from 21-5. There were some key leftovers from the Nutt era. Players like Jerry Franklin, Jake Bequette, DeMarcus Love, Ray Dominguez, etc (guys that played in the NFL), then you add a 5 star in Ryan Mallett (who isn't listed in the 2008 rankings, but should be. Add that to one of the best instate classes ever and you get the formula for 21-5. The problem with Booby is he never replaced that talent with equal or better talent. Heck, by 2012 we were starting 2 walkons on the OL and 2 freshmen at LB.

True, but we can't have it both ways.  The same could be said that most of the key players on our 2014 defense were BP guys....the last time we were any good on defense.  Ironic that BP gets pummeled for supposedly not caring about defense considering what BB has put on the field the last 2 seasons.

And it's not applicable to rate what BP left to a new coach with an entirely different philosophy of play.  Apples to oranges.  Same when Nutt left what he did to BP.  Nutt may have performed better in 2008 than BP.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 01, 2017, 12:06:48 pm
It seems to be getting worse.  One 4 star in state eligible to play at a 4 year college?  Awful. 

Byers hurt given he was a supposed stud DL.  Eligibility is likely the biggest road block for top in-state players, because I bet there are some real SEC talented kids in the south and southeastern part of the state.  Just can't get them eligible.  We need more numbers from within the state, but it ain't happening.  Makes BB's recruiting job even more difficult.

OutlawHawg

We may be at the bottom of the SEC in ranking but those other schools didn't recruit near the big frames we did. The future is so bright I need shades!

Kevin

nobody knows what this class will do
let's be happy for the young men today.
at least let part of their careers play out before judgement
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

OutlawHawg

Wishing today's signees the best and being dissapointed with our subpar recruiting are not mutually exclusive.

Tejano Jawg

Per Biggus' point...if you listen to any (and just about every) national recruiting writer, they will say that an early offer from Alabama will add a star to a recruit. 3 becomes 4, 4 will become 5.

And whether the inverse is true—a strong Hog commit's rating stays where it is—I don't know, but could be. That was said about McFadden, who made it no secret he wouldn't entertain other offers.

Like everyone, I would enjoy the media buzz of having a top 10 class, just to hear the word "Arkansas" mentioned more today. But none of those points (stars) carry over to the scoreboard in the Fall. Yesterday I heard a discussion about Clemson, and how the core of their title team wasn't a top 5-star-heavy class.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 01, 2017, 12:04:29 pm

We have no way of knowing that. I'm not going to entertain what might have or could have happened. Because neither of us know. For all we know CBP could have won the title and followed it with the best class in Arkansas history ... You could easily accuse me of being overly optimistic about it. And I could say that you are being extremely pessimistic about the future. The truth is somewhere in the middle. I don't buy half the garbage spewed by the athletic department after they KNOW they screwed the pooch by removing the best coach we've had since joining the SEC.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: OutlawHawg on February 01, 2017, 12:21:43 pm
We may be at the bottom of the SEC in ranking but those other schools didn't recruit near the big frames we did. The future is so bright I need shades!

Dude, we get it.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 01, 2017, 12:32:12 pm
Per Biggus' point…if you listen to any (and just about every) national recruiting writer, they will say that an early offer from Alabama will add a star to a recruit. 3 becomes 4, 4 will become 5.

Tis the most credible thing a recruiting service can do.  Makes complete sense that this happens.  For good reason.

hogcard1964

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 01, 2017, 12:44:53 pm
lather-rinse-repeat

I'm happy with this class. I would have liked to see a couple more highly regarded offensive lineman but other than that this was a really good class. I'd say that we miss the fat guy who went to Georgia. But he's the reason our o-line is in the shape its in. IF IF IF we can put together an offensive line nasty enough to run the ball next season could be really really good. And I know thats a big IF but I think thats the secret to next year.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: TebowHater on January 31, 2017, 05:40:07 pm
Lol, yep. Rankings don't matter at all.

https://twitter.com/jeremycrabtree/status/826561971101245440

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/826573284523245570

Was talking about individual player rankings which can be and are often severely skewed.  I agree that overall class rankings are important.  When you get 18 and miss on 7, you still have 18 amazing athletes.  When you get 4 and miss on 2, you have 2 amazing athletes.  18 against 2 is a mismatch.  When you consider the top 300, 250, 200, or 100 athletes, there are a lot of misses both ways and several of those individual player rankings are based on little more than who is recruiting the player.  If AL is recruiting a player, he is likely a 4 star based on that fact alone.  I agree!  Stars and Rankings matter as a whole.  I also know that not every player is evaluated correctly and it is our coaches job to evaluate correctly.  Time will tell if he did or didn't.  At least he stuck with his evaluation instead of rushing in with offers.

Dropkick

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 01, 2017, 09:48:23 am

Quote from: OutlawHawg on February 01, 2017, 10:33:10 am

Biggus would you please hammer this pest. Running from thread to thread ridiculing positive comments about the kids in this class.

hawgfan4life

Good grief!  I didn't say rankings and stars don't matter in general for an overall class.  Of course they matter.  However, there are hundreds of players around the nation every year that are over-rated and under-rated.  Not every 5 star ends up being in the NFL and even a college all-american.  Not every 2 and 3 star ends up being average players that can't play on the highest level.  It is up to the coaches to evaluate players, find the ones that are under-rated, and properly assess the players that are over-rated.  BB evaluated a couple of players in AR that big colleges started chasing very late in the process.  Instead of panicking and offering like previous coaches, he stuck to his evaluations and passed.  Fans on here were clamoring a lot about us not offering AR kids.  That was entirely the point!  NOTHING to do with overall class rankings.

Hogwild

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 31, 2017, 07:19:40 pm
Nebraska, Va. Tech and Oregon a couple times have all played for it and are not averaging anywhere near top 10 maybe not even 20. Auburns championship had I think 4 players that were huge contributors to the NC team from their #4 ranked class, their average was like # 17. This is not the whole story,

Then look at the whole story-

The VA Tech team that played for the title had Mike Vick at QB, he was their entire offense. Auburn had a transfer from Florida, Cam Newton.  Both of those players were the #1 player taken in the NFL draft a few months later.

Oregon had one of the greatest recruiting classes in the past decade #6 overall, only Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, and Florida State had a class in the past 10 years better than Oregon's

Quote6. 2008 Oregon

Notable signees: RB LaMichael James, RB LeGarrette Blount, DE Dion Jordan, QB Darron Thomas and LB Kiko Alonso

Oregon's stranglehold on the Pac-12 during Chip Kelly's tenure was built on this class. James is the most productive rusher in program history. Thomas was a multiple-year starter, if overshadowed by Marcus Mariota's ensuing run under center. Jordan, originally signed as a tight end, developed into a first-round pick at defensive end.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/01/31/top-10-recruiting-classes-since-2007-college-football/97257260/

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 01, 2017, 12:44:53 pm
lather-rinse-repeat

we got an excellent class today. what's your beef? you hate long and cbb so much that you cant even recognize when something good happens? your schtick is very old man.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 01, 2017, 01:24:14 pm
Good grief!  I didn't say rankings and stars don't matter in general for an overall class.  Of course they matter.  However, there are hundreds of players around the nation every year that are over-rated and under-rated.  Not every 5 star ends up being in the NFL and even a college all-american.  Not every 2 and 3 star ends up being average players that can't play on the highest level.  It is up to the coaches to evaluate players, find the ones that are under-rated, and properly assess the players that are over-rated.  BB evaluated a couple of players in AR that big colleges started chasing very late in the process.  Instead of panicking and offering like previous coaches, he stuck to his evaluations and passed.  Fans on here were clamoring a lot about us not offering AR kids.  That was entirely the point!  NOTHING to do with overall class rankings.

What AR kids are they clamoring about?  Besides Byers.

Music City Hog

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 01, 2017, 01:12:30 pm

Was talking about individual player rankings which can be and are often severely skewed.  I agree that overall class rankings are important.  When you get 18 and miss on 7, you still have 18 amazing athletes.  When you get 4 and miss on 2, you have 2 amazing athletes.  18 against 2 is a mismatch.  When you consider the top 300, 250, 200, or 100 athletes, there are a lot of misses both ways and several of those individual player rankings are based on little more than who is recruiting the player.  If AL is recruiting a player, he is likely a 4 star based on that fact alone.  I agree!  Stars and Rankings matter as a whole.  I also know that not every player is evaluated correctly and it is our coaches job to evaluate correctly.  Time will tell if he did or didn't.  At least he stuck with his evaluation instead of rushing in with offers.

The 'do recruiting rankings matter' argument is beyond ridiculous.  The sample size is so large that it is basically science at this point.  Don't be that guy that foolishly makes an argument that they don't matter. Just don't.

Of course they matter.  The Evidence and facts are overwhelming. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Music City Hog on February 01, 2017, 03:15:36 pm
The 'do recruiting rankings matter' argument is beyond ridiculous.  The sample size is so large that it is basically science at this point.  Don't be that guy that foolishly makes an argument that they don't matter. Just don't.

Of course they matter.  The Evidence and facts are overwhelming. 

The whole "evaluation" mantra kills me.  And he's probably the type to be totally flummoxed that we're finishing 7-5.  Not to say that this class won't be really good, but on paper, it's generally on par with most any other year.

The reality is a top 25 class is pretty solid for a program like ours.  We just don't have the luxury of playing in another division.

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on February 01, 2017, 02:55:42 pm
we got an excellent class today. what's your beef? you hate long and cbb so much that you cant even recognize when something good happens? your schtick is very old man.

I don't hate anyone.  I'm just indifferent and am used to hearing how good to great our classes are, and then nothing comes of them.  It's the same thing as last year, and the year before, and the year before that, and the year before that...

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 01, 2017, 03:09:29 pm
What AR kids are they clamoring about?  Besides Byers.
You missed all the offer Norwood crap? How about the ones that wanted Thompson?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 01, 2017, 03:34:32 pm
You missed all the offer Norwood crap? How about the ones that wanted Thompson?

Oh yeah, Norwood.  Forgot about him.  Don't recall clamoring over Thompson.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 01, 2017, 03:28:24 pm
I don't hate anyone.  I'm just indifferent and am used to hearing how good to great our classes are, and then nothing comes of them.  It's the same thing as last year, and the year before, and the year before that, and the year before that...

Well, I have to admit this is pretty much true.

HawgCan

Looking at 247's rankings, explain how Miss St is ranked ahead of us?  Miss St shows to have 5 - 4* (but I only count 4) 18 - 3*, 1 - 2* and 1 - 0*;  Ark is showing 4 - 4*, 20 - 3*   What am I missing?