Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Melvin Johnson is a HOG!!!!!

Started by Potosihog, January 29, 2017, 04:26:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Potosihog

Now we need Calloway to come through and we are done.

Funny thing, I was seeing his name tossed around.  I google him to 247 and it said hard commit.  I was confused as I knew I hadn't seen that yet.  Went to twitter and refreshed in time to see RD confirm it.

Sometimes those commits come at you so fast it just messes you up

JackJohnson

Great news!  Once Calloway becomes official this is the type of Defensive recruiting class that is the talent infusion we have been desperately needing.  Big time athletes and playmakers at every level

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

The_Boot_stops_here

That's a lot of exclamation marksp

hawginbigd1

Can't remember he is a 3 for 3 guy?

1highhog

Welcome to Razorback Nation Melvin Johnson, I look forward to watching you wreck some SEC offenses during your time as a Razorback.  WPS!!!   :razorback: :razorback:

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

ricepig

HardingHog

Woo Pig!  :razorback: Welcome aboard, Mr Johnson! I'm interested to see his role in our defense. Considering several have added weight after their arrival on campus he might grow into a NG in our 3-4

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

tophawg19

all the highlights i can find shows him as a DE in a 4-3 but he was able to handle double teams and control the line of scrimage . seemed to have good hands and played under control . probably needs a year to fully be ready to adjust to the SEC but we should be able to give him more time
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 29, 2017, 06:06:46 pm
all the highlights i can find shows him as a DE in a 4-3 but he was able to handle double teams and control the line of scrimage . seemed to have good hands and played under control . probably needs a year to fully be ready to adjust to the SEC but we should be able to give him more time

Did he look explosive to you?  Particularly quick?  Thanks in advance....

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 29, 2017, 06:52:42 pm
not to me. looked average at best speed wise. What I did notice was that he had a motor on him and kept coming.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jgphillips3

Best bet, at his height with that frame, they redshirt him, add 20-25 pounds and make him a NT.  I don't see him beating out DE's we already have.  He should be able to plug up the middle though with some more weight and a year to learn behind Bijhon and Capps so he can back up Capps in 2018.

tophawg19

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 29, 2017, 06:56:54 pm
not to me. looked average at best speed wise. What I did notice was that he had a motor on him and kept coming.

I agree . he was more of a power technique guy but is young yet . He was able to hold his own against double teams. He mostly played Weak side DE and does well in chasing down runners . He was very disciplined in staying in his lanes until the play developed . He is a high energy player , i didn't see a play where he took off but it was highlights . Also i didn't see any where he was beat by being out of position
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Tarheelhawg

WPS!!!  Welcome to the Razorbacks!!

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

CFB_Fanatic

Gonna need a star rating before I can confirm if this is a good get or not.....

The real Hogules

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 29, 2017, 06:52:42 pm

I believe that I read a quote from Melvin that stated that his pass rushing skills were his greatest weakness, but that he was a monster at controlling the line of scrimmage.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

The_Iceman

January 30, 2017, 07:16:37 am #23 Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:32:08 am by The_Iceman
Always good to land a Top 200 recruit.

Edit: oops, that's top 200 Juco. Big difference.

SamBuckhart

Welcome, Big Mel. Wooo Pig! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Hogwild

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on January 30, 2017, 12:10:13 am
Gonna need a star rating before I can confirm if this is a good get or not.....

a 3 star that was good enough to jump us back ahead of UL & Mich. State.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Hogwild on January 30, 2017, 08:37:28 am
a 3 star that was good enough to jump us back ahead of UL & Mich. State.

He had Louisville and Mich St offers?  Never heard that.

Hogwild

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on January 30, 2017, 09:23:53 am
He had Louisville and Mich St offers?  Never heard that.

No in the team rankings, UL & Mich State passed us in the team rankings over the weekend, now we are back(#29) ahead of both. Johnson had offers from Iowa St, Kentucky, and Toledo.

ricepig

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 29, 2017, 07:02:03 pm
Best bet, at his height with that frame, they redshirt him, add 20-25 pounds and make him a NT.  I don't see him beating out DE's we already have.  He should be able to plug up the middle though with some more weight and a year to learn behind Bijhon and Capps so he can back up Capps in 2018.

Reported elsewhere that he only weighs 250lb, he'll redshirt this year as he doesn't come in until second term of the summer.

imtad16

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2017, 09:43:21 am
Reported elsewhere that he only weighs 250lb, he'll redshirt this year as he doesn't come in until second term of the summer.

Yep. I guess he weighs a bit less than the 285 247 lists him as and they may be looking at him at DE...

onebadrubi

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 01, 2017, 11:46:53 am
Not overly excited by this singing, especially after reported weight. Don't see him as coming in an contributing, not explosive. Does control line well and has good motor, but not a DT as anticipated. And not being here until late summer doesn't help either. Just really feel like we could have utilized this spot in a better way. We need to start getting JUCO guys that can contribute right away like Ledbetter, not guys that redshirt like Malone and Ramirez! Losing Edwards in this class really hurt.

Whats wrong with his weight?

ricepig

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 01, 2017, 11:46:53 am
Not overly excited by this singing, especially after reported weight. Don't see him as coming in an contributing, not explosive. Does control line well and has good motor, but not a DT as anticipated. And not being here until late summer doesn't help either. Just really feel like we could have utilized this spot in a better way. We need to start getting JUCO guys that can contribute right away like Ledbetter, not guys that redshirt like Malone and Ramirez! Losing Edwards in this class really hurt.

Do you like this "singing" better?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 01, 2017, 12:03:00 pm
Listed as only 243 when signed. He might fit well as DE with new system if we're attacking more off the edge with LBs and not expecting pass rush from DEs. I think we have more of a need at DT, and he doesn't fit that's role. Does have a good frame to add good weight, but again, the whole point of getting a JUCO should be immediate help.

#250 is not a bad weight for a DE?  If he were a HS kid then he would most likely project inside, but being already a couple years out of HS his body has developed already. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 01, 2017, 12:21:56 pm
No, but he was listed as a DT and 275-285. That's a king was off. I thought we were filling a need. I just don't like the guy coming from JUCO having to come in and redshirt. If that's the case, why not go get a HS and mold him from day one where he has more time to contribute and the return is greater? Not a good job at DL this class and I really feel it's going to come back and bite us. Although I do love the versatility and speed we got.

I don't disagree that this DL class may haunt us. The lack of makes us already needing to hope Agim is a 4 year guy. 

But, I don't agree with your JUCO/HS part.  Getting a kid from a JUCO can mean he has 4 years to play 3, 3 to play, 3 to play 2, or 2 to play 2.  Going to get a kid that can play 3 with or without a redshirt is not that much different actually.  You also get a kid who is goign to have another year of maturity and weight room training under him. 

I remember Bielema saying one of his biggest regrets in 14' was not redshirting Martrell. 

ricepig

No, but he was listed as a DT and 275-285. That's a king was off. I thought we were filling a need. I just don't like the guy coming from JUCO having to come in and redshirt. If that's the case, why not go get a HS and mold him from day one where he has more time to contribute and the return is greater? Not a good job at DL this class and I really feel it's going to come back and bite us. Although I do love the versatility and speed we got.

From what I've read, Johnson was living with an elderly couple and wasn't eating properly, like he will when he gets here. He's going the redshirt and then give us two years. We really weren't in on any big d-lineman, outside of Edwards, and he changed his mind at the end.

al_pigcino

Could be different weigh ins.  Season weight/spring weight/program weight are all going to be different.  He could have been 280 at some point. 

Deep Shoat

3-4 DE's are more like small DT's.  The only place you need real beef in the 3-4 is NT, and even that has been challenged of late by schools going for a disruptor at NT who demands a double team for other reasons.
All Gas, No Brakes!

hawgwash

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2017, 11:53:11 am
Do you like this "singing" better?

Well, it does look like she'd be better suited for the nose tackle role. Plus, it appears she loves the helmet.