Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mary Haff

Started by ladybackfan, March 12, 2018, 01:57:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ladybackfan

We got us a pitchers duel going on in Athens.  Haff has 0-0 game in the bottom of the 4th. Georgia is the number 1 ranked hitting team in the nation.  They have 1 hit so far.
Keep it going Mary.

flippinhogmana

any time you load the bases with no outs without scoring (especially in a critical situation) it will bite you every time.  Haff deserved much better.  We should have sent the runner on Belans fly ball to left.  We would have scored or got obstruction.  It would have been a different outcome. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

rolyat_2008

Have to make the defense make a play in that situation. 0 runs in two SEC games. Haff impressive against that lineup.

budweiser35

Great effort by Haff!

Not going to take a lot from hitting performance as both games against Gray and she has been pretty much unhittable this year although most of those games were against weak opponents.  She did have SEC games last year where she got hit pretty hard so not sure until she faces some other teams. 

I would still like to see Parr get more chances - when you have a pitcher that's dominating it certainly can't hurt to get some more speed on the bases with a slapper and put the ball in play and at least hope to force them into a mistake, but it seems like the lineup is pretty much set so I don't see that happening.  Plus may not even be fair to her given her lack of at bats during non conference schedule to throw her into SEC pitching. 

Lastly, I sure would like to see a tougher non-conference schedule.  The record certainly looks nice but I'm not sure how much those games did as far as preparation for SEC play.  Not too many quality opponents in there.  I understand the SEC play will obviously boost the RPI and a few wins there along with non-conference record will be enough to make NCAA tourney most likely but just think a few more quality opponents certainly couldn't hurt.

Hopefully we can put some runs on the board tonight. 

hawg1221

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 12, 2018, 03:23:57 pm
any time you load the bases with no outs without scoring (especially in a critical situation) it will bite you every time.  Haff deserved much better.  We should have sent the runner on Belans fly ball to left.  We would have scored or got obstruction.  It would have been a different outcome.

What I didn't understand is after loading the bases, the next 3 batters saw every 1st and 2nd pitch go nearly right down the middle of the plate without swinging once. Only after 0-2 counts did they swing. I watched the game and didn't understand this strategy.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 12, 2018, 10:58:47 pm
What I didn't understand is after loading the bases, the next 3 batters saw every 1st and 2nd pitch go nearly right down the middle of the plate without swinging once. Only after 0-2 counts did they swing. I watched the game and didn't understand this strategy.

It was a little frustrating, I agree. I thought there were a lot of first pitch strikes that we let go by. That said, I have also gotten frustrated at times with all the first-pitch swinging that some of our players tend to do.

The basic fact is that Gray is one of the premier pitchers in the country so far this year. She had trouble locating her pitches last year, but so far this season that seems to be a thing of the past. She is going to be tough for everyone to hit, not just the Hogs. Against UGA pitchers not named Gray, we actually did pretty well.