Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Troubling news for SEC and College Football in general

Started by WizardofhOgZ, February 13, 2018, 04:53:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

31to6

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on February 13, 2018, 04:53:18 pm
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-heads-in-wrong-direction-with-largest-attendance-drop-in-34-years/
It is worth noting that the SEC leads the rest of the conferences in average attendance by a HUGE margin and this last year was easily the sorriest bunch of teams at the bottom half in recent memory.

Historically bad seasons and fired coaches for a large number of teams that routinely pack the stadium had to hurt attendance, which has actually been trending very slightly up (SEC attendance) in recent years.

UAfanatic

Having all of the games at the touch of you fingers and changing channels during commercial on my 12ft diagonal projection surround sound setup has taken a huge bite out of me driving up, spending the night.. etc.

But even more is that when I go, gone are traditions.. except the hogcall,
With IMG taking over the gameday experience.. it's darn near the exact same songs, experience in every stadium that they have a contract for in the America.. they tought that they are adding to the experience and helping fight off the decline when in reality they are making everything special about it cookie cutter and mundane.. and of course the main goal being to ratchet up ad sales for the captive audience.. I gladly bale out to just going to 2 games a year and trying to make an away game to see the same experience.. except small specific changes.. rockie top.. cowbells.. etc

Any crowd involvement is quicly stifled with canned crap whether music that has no tradition or the next commercial..

hobhog

One word. Blackouts.

Probably too difficult these days but as long as people can sit at home and watch it will only get worse.

Flrazrback

Having had 2 students in the Band during High School, it was the primary focus of many parents. Sure, I LOVE football and watched every snap even though we had a very poor team. The Band was ALWAYS excellent..

RME

hogsanity

Quote from: Flrazrback on February 15, 2018, 05:29:42 pm
Having had 2 students in the Band during High School, it was the primary focus of many parents. Sure, I LOVE football and watched every snap even though we had a very poor team. The Band was ALWAYS excellent..

More band members in my sons graduating class got full ride music scholarships than did football players get full ride athletic scholarships that same year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hoggish1

I've been saying this for a long time: Make getting fans into the stadium the priority.

1. Lower the ticket price and lower it by a lot.

2.  Lower the cost of parking—by a lot

3.  Lower the cost of concessions by a lot (the recent Mercedez Benz stadium in Atlanta is a prime example, where hot dogs are $2, for example.  The result has been a 16% increase in sales of concessions there.

4.  I don't know what you do about hotels requiring a two night minimum and then jacking the price sky high to boot, but fans can't afford these "college weekends" anymore! 

If nothing can be done about No. 4, the schools can certainly do something about Nos 1-3!!

UAfanatic

Quote from: hobhog on February 15, 2018, 05:09:16 pm
One word. Blackouts.

Probably too difficult these days but as long as people can sit at home and watch it will only get worse.

They make more money off of TV than seats lost..
Plus if you want to ostracize the statewide fan base and make sure instate talent goes to LSU or Ole Miss
make it so their family and friends can't watch them play ball unless they are at an out of state school

UAfanatic

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 16, 2018, 11:34:03 am
I've been saying this for a long time: Make getting fans into the stadium the priority.

1. Lower the ticket price and lower it by a lot.

2.  Lower the cost of parking—by a lot

3.  Lower the cost of concessions by a lot (the recent Mercedez Benz stadium in Atlanta is a prime example, where hot dogs are $2, for example.  The result has been a 16% increase in sales of concessions there.

4.  I don't know what you do about hotels requiring a two night minimum and then jacking the price sky high to boot, but fans can't afford these "college weekends" anymore! 

If nothing can be done about No. 4, the schools can certainly do something about Nos 1-3!!

I haven't run into the 2 night minimum since WalMart blew up and all of those new hotels got put in..
so about 10-15 years

31to6

Quote from: UAfanatic on February 16, 2018, 11:43:07 am
I haven't run into the 2 night minimum since WalMart blew up and all of those new hotels got put in..
so about 10-15 years
A few right in Fayetteville have them still, but you can talk your way past them.

But even then, there are so many that do not that it is not really the issue it once ways.

They do ramp the prices, but that's just every hotel everywhere. Prices go up when there are big events.

Cotton

AirBnB is my new preferred lodging choice if I have a group of people.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Hoggish1

Quote from: UAfanatic on February 16, 2018, 11:43:07 am
so about 10-15 years

Well then, I have nothing to say beyond items 1-3! WPS!!

twistitup

Quote from: Cotton on February 16, 2018, 01:22:48 pm
AirBnB is my new preferred lodging choice if I have a group of people.

Group of gypsies?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....