Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 26, 2024, 11:43:53 pm

Time to Purge Programs?

Started by WoooPigBrewie, November 21, 2017, 03:37:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WoooPigBrewie

Is it time to start purging some of the sports programs at the University of Arkansas?

Currently, there are eight Men's Sports:

Baseball
Basketball
Cross Country
Football
Golf
Tennis
Indoor Track & Field
Outdoor Track & Field

Currently, there are 11 Women's Sports:

Basketball
Cross Country
Golf
Gymnastics
Soccer
Softball
Swimming & Diving
Tennis
Indoor Track & Field
Outdoor Track & Field
Volleyball

I believe the past few weeks have shown that the fans and Board of Trustees only care about football.  When it sinks, we all sink.

The NCAA only requires that the University carry 14 sports.  Should we start purging?  A purge would surely save the University some time, effort, and money.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

HF#1

Are the others causing football to sink?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

jgphillips3

We carry more women's to balance out the participation numbers imbalance caused by football.

Mr Jade

What does removing other sports have to do with the price of tea in China?
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 21, 2017, 03:39:53 pm
We carry more women's to balance out the number imbalance caused by football.
Totally understand that.  However, if nobody is interest in other Men's and Women's Sports, then why bother?
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: HF#1 on November 21, 2017, 03:38:48 pm
Are the others causing football to sink?
If you removed five sports (combination of Men's and Women's) you would remove their expenses.  They don't create revenue anyway so what is the point?
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

Mr Jade

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:40:41 pm
Totally understand that.  However, if nobody is interest in other Men's and Women's Sports, then why bother?

The students care, the parents care, the athletes care. It seems like it might just be you not caring.

The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: Mr Jade on November 21, 2017, 03:42:10 pm
The students care, the parents care, the athletes care. It seems like it might just be you not caring.
The fans don't care.  When is the last time you checked out the Swimming & Diving team? The Men's and Women's Golf teams? The Men's and Women's Tennis teams?
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

HF#1

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:41:40 pm
If you removed five sports (combination of Men's and Women's) you would remove their expenses.  They don't create revenue anyway so what is the point?

The point is that you would affect quite a few livelihoods doing that. Let's get rid of baseball while we are at it?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

lstewart

Well crap, we can also cancel those pesky classes and professors who cause all the problems. We sure don't need them to keep the fans happy.  What a great idea!!!!

Mr Jade

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:43:18 pm
The fans don't care.  When is the last time you checked out the Swimming & Diving team? The Men's and Women's Golf teams? The Men's and Women's Tennis teams?

Both golf teams this year, especially when a Hog golfer starts winning championships like just happened. I've got a former student playing women's tennis, so again, this year.

The other I haven't.

Does the fact and you and I haven't gone to every sport remove the sum total value? Interesting.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: HF#1 on November 21, 2017, 03:43:21 pm
The point is that you would affect quite a few livelihoods doing that. Let's get rid of baseball while we are at it?
At least baseball breaks even...
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

BigSexyHog

Congrats on the dumbest post ever on Hogville.     Most of the teams you mentioned are doing pretty well.  Just go back to your hole and be quite.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

SemperHawg

I would love to hear from someone that is more educated on the matter than myself, but its always been my understanding that Basketball makes enough to essentially pay for itself and basically every other sport we have is being carried by revenue from the football team, is this correct?

If there were a couple less of these other sports around, is that not more money we can put toward the football program?  I only ask because there is a ton of discussion around buyouts and salaries ect.

Full disclosure I'm I could be way off base here and this isn't how this works at all.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: lstewart on November 21, 2017, 03:44:44 pm
Well crap, we can also cancel those pesky classes and professors who cause all the problems. We sure don't need them to keep the fans happy.  What a great idea!!!!
Not even remotely on topic.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: BigSexyHog on November 21, 2017, 03:45:20 pm
Congrats on the dumbest post ever on Hogville.     Most of the teams you mentioned are doing pretty well.  Just go back to your hole and be quite.
Doesn't matter that they are doing well.

1) Nobody attends their games, matches, or meets.

2) They have little to no revenue ability.

Remember we are a football only school.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

HF#1

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:45:10 pm
At least baseball breaks even...

Just because a sport doesn't generate revenue doesn't mean it isn't needed. IT Departments don't generate revenue but they are the most needed department in any large company.

Calvin Swine

/Signed.

You don't burn down everything just because one area is underperforming.  Good grief, some people can't be responsible with their pitchforks and torches.   

HF#1

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:47:07 pm
Doesn't matter that they are doing well.

1) Nobody attends their games, matches, or meets.

2) They have little to no revenue ability.

You are taking the football only part too far.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: HF#1 on November 21, 2017, 03:47:38 pm
Just because a sport doesn't generate revenue doesn't mean it isn't needed. IT Departments don't generate revenue but they are the most needed department in any large company.
That is an interesting comparison. I like it.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

Mr Jade

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:47:07 pm

Silly me, I need to cancel those Basketball season tickets posthaste!

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: Calvin Swine on November 21, 2017, 03:47:54 pm
/Signed.

You don't burn down everything just because one area is underperforming.  Good grief, some people can't be responsible with their pitchforks and torches.   
Just trying to save the University some time, effort, and money.  Think about how much we could put into football without five sports handcuffing and sucking the money out?
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: Mr Jade on November 21, 2017, 03:48:51 pm
Silly me, I need to cancel those Basketball season tickets posthaste!
Go ahead and send in your Softball tickets too...
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

lstewart

What the average Hogville fan forgets is the university is actually a college, designed for students to attend, get an education, and take part in many varied activities. It is not "The Dallas Cowboys Lite". The school is not here to provide one or two pro sports that you care about, and do away with everything else. Hendrix in Conway is a small private school and plays most of the same sports the Hogs offer. Why don't they drop everything else and just have football?

BoogaHog

Quote from: Mr Jade on November 21, 2017, 03:42:10 pm

Actual alumni and former Razorbacks care.  If it is all about revenue and expenses, we are doing extremely well as an athletic program.  Baseball is a break-even proposition believe it or not.  So, if we are going with the revenue/expense argument; there goes baseball.  And, for my money, it's the best performing sport and fan experience.  I love it.

We just need to make some football adjustments and things will be great.

cjack

He's trying to bash someone.  I'm not sure, but I think it's the BOT for getting rid of Long.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Hogswarts

This has got to be one of the dumbest threads I've ever seen on hogville.

NoogaHog

The reason I wasn't completely on the "fire Long" wagon.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: lstewart on November 21, 2017, 03:52:03 pm
What the average Hogville fan forgets is the university is actually a college, designed for students to attend, get an education, and take part in many varied activities. It is not "The Dallas Cowboys Lite". The school is not here to provide one or two pro sports that you care about, and do away with everything else. Hendrix in Conway is a small private school and plays most of the same sports the Hogs offer. Why don't they drop everything else and just have football?
I'm just quoting the masses here.

Football only.

It sinks, we sink.

Cut the dead weight.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:41:40 pm
Slippery slope, could just as easily argue why any sports are necessary at institutions of higher learning.  Just ask Cardale Jones.

hogrocker

I've seen multiple swim meets, softball games, and gymnastics meets.  Those meets are always surprisingly well-attended, especially by other U of A students and other, younger people from the area who participate in those sports.  There's no reason to do away with any of these sports.  The sports exist to enrich the University experience, and not vice-versa.

HF#1

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:53:09 pm

Football only.

It sinks, we sink.

Cut the dead weight.

But it isn't sinking.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: cjack on November 21, 2017, 03:52:53 pm
He's trying to bash someone.  I'm not sure, but I think it's the BOT for getting rid of Long.
No such thing. Just pointing out money saving opportunities.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: HF#1 on November 21, 2017, 03:54:15 pm
But it isn't sinking.
What could an extra $10 million per year in Football do for the program?
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

ricepig

cjack

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:54:19 pm
No such thing. Just pointing out money saving opportunities.

Haha.  Ok.  Carry on WPB
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:37:43 pm
Is it time to start purging some of the sports programs at the University of Arkansas?

Currently, there are eight Men's Sports:

Baseball
Basketball
Cross Country
Football
Golf
Tennis
Indoor Track & Field
Outdoor Track & Field

Currently, there are 11 Women's Sports:

Basketball
Cross Country
Golf
Gymnastics
Soccer
Softball
Swimming & Diving
Tennis
Indoor Track & Field
Outdoor Track & Field
Volleyball

I believe the past few weeks have shown that the fans and Board of Trustees only care about football.  When it sinks, we all sink.

The NCAA only requires that the University carry 14 sports.  Should we start purging?  A purge would surely save the University some time, effort, and money.

Can you just give us a list of the athletic and academic programs you don't care about, and we just cancel all of those.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: hogrocker on November 21, 2017, 03:53:54 pm
I've seen multiple swim meets, softball games, and gymnastics meets.  Those meets are always surprisingly well-attended, especially by other U of A students and other, younger people from the area who participate in those sports.  There's no reason to do away with any of these sports.  The sports exist to enrich the University experience, and not vice-versa.
That is not important.

Football is important.

We need more resources.  Cut off the dead weight.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

Mr Jade

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:53:09 pm

Football only.

It sinks, we sink.

Cut the dead weight.

I got it, hey Jeff. Bitter about being fired? It's alright Mr. Long, we're still gonna pay you well.

HawgTide

Quote from: cjack on November 21, 2017, 03:52:53 pm

Bingo. Bo Jr is throwing a tantrum too

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: Mr Jade on November 21, 2017, 03:57:17 pm
I got it, hey Jeff. Bitter about being fired? It's alright Mr. Long, we're still gonna pay you well.
You mad, bro?
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

WoooPigBrewie

DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

bennyl08

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:43:18 pm

I made it a point to try go to all the sports at least once while I was a student on the hill. Swimming and diving had probably near a hundred people there. The tennis game had a couple hundred. Don't remember gymnastics on the hill but at oregon state, you'll have a few thousand there to watch, though OSU is a perennial top 10 team in gymnastics so hard to know how well that translates. Volleyball at both schools have many hundreds up to a couple thousand depending on the matchups and such.

Never did end up watching golf events. However, disc golf events will often have a hundred or so spectators.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

cjack

I wish I was clever enough to make a "feeding the troll" gif
Woooo Pig Soooie!

BoogaHog

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:49:43 pm
Just trying to save the University some time, effort, and money.  Think about how much we could put into football without five sports handcuffing and sucking the money out?
Yeah..maybe we can eliminate some academic programs and colleges and commit the money and continue this stupid college football arms race.  Look where spending more money has gotten us.  Reminds me of some of these D.A. rednecks who would rather slaughter unarmed creatures of God instead of participate in combat sports where they might get their bully-@ss handed to them.

You probably see no value in high school wrestling in Arkansas either because it makes Offensive Linemen lighter.  After all, its bout body buildin' and not the ability to move your body weight.  Jeez, some of the dam rednecks on here get on my nerves.

Mr Jade

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:57:44 pm
You mad, bro?

Absolutely not Mr. Long. I'm quite content that you are gone, and soon CBB will follow. I'll joyfully join everyone in this thread in saying that other sports matter too. Have a good day.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: BJJHog on November 21, 2017, 04:01:21 pm
Yeah..maybe we can eliminate some academic programs and colleges and commit the money and continue this stupid college football arms race.  Look where spending more money has gotten us.  Reminds me of some of these D.A. rednecks who would rather slaughter unarmed creatures of God instead of participate in combat sports where they might get their bully-@ss handed to them.

You probably see no value in high school wrestling in Arkansas either because it makes Offensive Linemen lighter.  After all, its bout body buildin' and not the ability to move your body weight.  Jeez, some of the dam rednecks on here get on my nerves.
There is a lot to digest here...

HAHA
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: Mr Jade on November 21, 2017, 04:01:41 pm
Absolutely not Mr. Long. I'm quite content that you are gone, and soon CBB will follow. I'll joyfully join everyone in this thread in saying that other sports matter too. Have a good day.
Yes, thank you.

By the time the University fires an AD and HC and hires a new AD and HC, we will have spent over $20 million.

Smart!
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!