Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'd be willing to bet the next A.D. will play...

Started by depressed_fan, November 15, 2017, 08:07:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

depressed_fan

... Arkansas State. Frank has passed. Frank passed the torch to Jeff Long. Frank was Razorback athletics for many years.  Frank's philosophy might have made sense in the 60's and 70's but it no longer makes sense.

I bet this game is played first or last game of the year in War Memorial. Frank or existing past philosophy will have no bearing over the new A.D. playing ARkansas State. 

010HogFan

Good lord. can we just go ahead and fire the coach today so people will have something new to talk about?

jmark

November 15, 2017, 08:44:21 am #2 Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:25:02 pm by jmark
everyone from the UA i know does not want to play AS.  i think they're scared.  don't want to help a brother.
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

dfwalumdad

Quote from: depressed_fan on November 15, 2017, 08:07:48 am
... Arkansas State. Frank has passed. Frank passed the torch to Jeff Long. Frank was Razorback athletics for many years.  Frank's philosophy might have made sense in the 60's and 70's but it no longer makes sense.

I bet this game is played first or last game of the year in War Memorial. Frank or existing past philosophy will have no bearing over the new A.D. playing ARkansas State.

i've got a better idea, how bout we cut off state money to asu's athletic programs and force them to stop charging student fees to cover athletics. in other words we make them be self sufficient like the uofa.

that'd be ok wouldn't it? 

IronHog

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 15, 2017, 08:48:06 am
i've got a better idea, how bout we cut off state money to asu's athletic programs and force them to stop charging student fees to cover athletics. in other words we make them be self sufficient like the uofa.

that'd be ok wouldn't it? 

When UA gives their 150 a mil back you can run your mouth

Otherwise just flagship in fear
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

rzrbkman

Arkansas might play Arkansas St. one day in a regular season game but the game will be played in Fayetteville. If the fans really want to see the game it won't be played in a small outdated stadium.

porkrindjimmy

We are liable to get Terry Don for a year or so and that is great news....

PRJ

HoggieStyle

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 15, 2017, 09:33:33 am
We are liable to get Terry Don for a year or so and that is great news....

PRJ

That couldn't possibly be a bad thing.

Vantage 8 dude

Ain't going to happen. It doesn't matter who the next AD is.

Athog

[/quot

Well it will not be his decision! That has always been a Board decision! My guess why?

pghawg1

when the razorbacks are good in football why is it we never hear anything playing ark state, it is just when we r bad.

BigK_HogHeaven

If by some stretch Gus Bus is the HC you can bet we'll be playing A-State and renew the WMS contract. 

LJHOG

10thPlanet

STLhawg

Wishful thinking from an ASU fan is what that sounds like!! LOL  The UofA has little to gain and much to lose by playing the red-headed stepchild.  The only people that think it makes sense are ASU fans (because that game for their team means a chance at high reward with very little risk).

Calling All Hogs

Probably need to take a look at hiring the AD at Arkansas State considering the amazing job he has done picking football coaches.

factchecker

Quote from: jmark on November 15, 2017, 08:44:21 am
everyone from the UA i know does not want to play AS.  i think their scared.  don't want to help a brother.

jonesboro state is not our brother.

they are the crackhead in-law who lives off of welfare.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: pghawg1 on November 15, 2017, 10:46:38 am
when the razorbacks are good in football why is it we never hear anything playing ark state, it is just when we r bad.

Quote from: factchecker on November 12, 2017, 07:43:17 pm
Razorback fans vs. state of Arkansas fans - this one is hard to define but there are Razorback fans who wait for us to struggle to try and prop their fledgling FCS or sunbelt program.  They are only Razorback fans when we are good.  When we struggle they transform into purple cub/red pup fans.  I'm sure we will see Ouachita Baptist basketball fans claim that the Hogs are scared to play them now that they beat Little Rock.  Trojan fans will blame the Razorbacks (or the swine as they call us) for the loss.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

STLhawg

Quote from: factchecker on November 15, 2017, 12:09:02 pm
jonesboro state is not our brother.

they are the crackhead in-law who lives off of welfare.
Considering all the tax money they get, that isn't too far from reality.

Vantage 8 dude

OP just make sure that when you make your "sure bet" that you aren't gambling with any monies you can't afford to piss away.

dfwalumdad

Quote from: IronHog on November 15, 2017, 09:20:28 am

those bonds will be paid back by the university not the state of arkansas jethro.

does ASU not have a message board?

EastArkHog 47

I don't care if we play Astate, UAPB or the NYG's I just want a FB coach that can win.

(notOM)Rebel123

Huh? The UofA athletic department is self sufficient and doesn't use tax $ to operate.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 15, 2017, 12:07:21 pm
Probably need to take a look at hiring the AD at Arkansas State considering the amazing job he has done picking football coaches.

Not a bad idea at all.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

steveaustin69

everyone from the UA i know does not want to play AS.  i think their scared.  don't want to help a brother.

They're*. It literally provides zero benefit to the athletic department to play Arkansas State. Why would you do something that provided you zero benefit?

Justifiable Hogicide

ricepig

What $150m would that be?

LRHawg

I'm no A State fan, but it makes more sense to me to play in-state Sister's of the Poor than to pay millions to some school in a neighboring state to (in theory) come get beat.

ricepig

Silver Hog

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 15, 2017, 12:07:21 pm
You are not wrong there. They have had some home-run hires.  They just need to figure out way to hang onto them and keep them in Arkansas.

STLhawg

Quote from: LRHawg on November 15, 2017, 01:04:02 pm
I'm no A State fan, but it makes more sense to me to play in-state Sister's of the Poor than to pay millions to some school in a neighboring state to (in theory) come get beat.
We'd have to pay ASU those same millions else they would be losing $ to play us -- which means more tax $ to prop them up.  And if we don't play them then another P5 team will -- so they aren't missing out on any $ but us not playing them.  So where does the UofA get ANY benefit? 

jmark

Quote from: steveaustin69 on November 15, 2017, 01:00:26 pm
They're*. It literally provides zero benefit to the athletic department to play Arkansas State. Why would you do something that provided you zero benefit?

you're right bad grammar
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

mizzouman

Never understood NOT playing A-State or UALR in hoops.  Most other schools play in state guys, why not Arkansas?

STLhawg

Quote from: mizzouman on November 15, 2017, 01:27:56 pm
Never understood NOT playing A-State or UALR in hoops.  Most other schools play in state guys, why not Arkansas?
Does Mizzou play SLU on a regular basis?  I know they did a few years and then they stopped.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

mizzouman

Quote from: STLhawg on November 15, 2017, 02:18:38 pm
Does Mizzou play SLU on a regular basis?  I know they did a few years and then they stopped.

In hoops, Mizzou plays SEMO, MO ST and UMKC.  Yes, have played SLU but it's been several years.  From what I'm hearing, it will start back up since Travis Ford took over.  We'll see.  Mizzou is not afraid of playing in state schools in hoops.

In football, Mizzou has played SEMO and MO St. recently. 

But, it's not Mizzou only.  Other P5 schools don't have issues playing instate schools.  Keep the $$ in state. 

Sad that the UA won't. 

NaturalStateReb

everyone from the UA i know does not want to play AS.  i think they're scared.  don't want to help a brother.

I don't think Arkansas State is hot to trot about this game, either, although they'd be willing to play it.

The situation for ASU is just very, very different than it was back in the 80s and 90s.  Back then, ASU was either I-AA or struggling to stay afloat in I-A.  The schedule had high volatility, ASU had very few home games (at one point, down to just 3), they weren't able to land in a conference, and the Indians were desperate for money and exposure.

The Sun Belt has really been good to and for ASU.  The schedule is regular, they're on TV with some frequency, the money's steady, and they've got access to bowl games.  From the ASU side, the need for this game has went way, way down.  Plus, I don't think ASU really wants donors to make giving decisions like this--many donors to ASU also donate to UA.  That might change if it became a rivalry.

Non-football sports?  Why not?  Most of those sports don't make much money, and they could use the exposure, I think.  Playing in LR makes more sense for those games.  Football, not nearly as much.  Football is just a different animal.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Dropkick

Quote from: mizzouman on November 15, 2017, 02:27:18 pm
In hoops, Mizzou plays SEMO, MO ST and UMKC.  Yes, have played SLU but it's been several years.  From what I'm hearing, it will start back up since Travis Ford took over.  We'll see.  Mizzou is not afraid of playing in state schools in hoops.

In football, Mizzou has played SEMO and MO St. recently. 

But, it's not Mizzou only.  Other P5 schools don't have issues playing instate schools.  Keep the $$ in state. 

Sad that the UA won't. 
Sad for who?

mizzouman

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 15, 2017, 02:29:55 pm
I don't think Arkansas State is hot to trot about this game, either, although they'd be willing to play it.

The situation for ASU is just very, very different than it was back in the 80s and 90s.  Back then, ASU was either I-AA or struggling to stay afloat in I-A.  The schedule had high volatility, ASU had very few home games (at one point, down to just 3), they weren't able to land in a conference, and the Indians were desperate for money and exposure.

The Sun Belt has really been good to and for ASU.  The schedule is regular, they're on TV with some frequency, the money's steady, and they've got access to bowl games.  From the ASU side, the need for this game has went way, way down.  Plus, I don't think ASU really wants donors to make giving decisions like this--many donors to ASU also donate to UA.  That might change if it became a rivalry.

Non-football sports?  Why not?  Most of those sports don't make much money, and they could use the exposure, I think.  Playing in LR makes more sense for those games.  Football, not nearly as much.  Football is just a different animal.
I respectfully disagree.

For football, ASU would definitely play and why not? 

J-Five

It's not U of A's responsibility to "help a brother".  They need to focus on themselves.  I hate that some look at the U of A as a welfare program for in-state schools.  Maybe A-State should help themselves?  Just a thought...
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

J-Five

Quote from: pghawg1 on November 15, 2017, 10:46:38 am

THIS!!!!!
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

STLhawg

Quote from: mizzouman on November 15, 2017, 02:27:18 pm
Keep the $$ in state. 

Sad that the UA won't.
You can claim it is "sad" all you want, but post #31 addresses the fact it really doesn't matter. 

Maybe Mizzou needs to play Missouri State to help themselves.  LOL. Last I heard more kids were enrolling there than any other school in the state.  Ouch...

TeufelHog

NOPE . . . nothing to gain, everything to lose for the University of Arkansas.  It would be a short-sighted decision if made.

TM Hog

Why are some hog fans so obsessed with playing ASU? Ever wonder why they want to play us so bad? Do you think they just want a good game? Of course not, they have ulterior motives.  They know playing Arkansas on a regular basis will split the fan base which is good for them and bad for Arkansas.  Arkansas has absolutely nothing to gain from this matchup.  ASU has everything to gain regardless of the outcome of the games.

factchecker

Quote from: J-Five on November 15, 2017, 02:42:03 pm

It's not U of A's responsibility to "help a brother".  They need to focus on themselves.  I hate that some look at the U of A as a welfare program for in-state schools.  Maybe A-State should help themselves?  Just a thought...

they do help themselves ...... to their student's money.

jonesboro state collected $5,027,521 via student fees in 2016.  They only made $1,666,852 in ticket sales.  :puke:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

roothawg

A$$ backward thinking there is any good reason not to play any team.

razorbrock

Quote from: BigK_HogHeaven on November 15, 2017, 11:44:55 am
If by some stretch Gus Bus is the HC you can bet we'll be playing A-State and renew the WMS contract.

I wouldn't bet, but the odds of this happening will definitely improve.

*Not an endorsement of the game or WMS.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." ~Winston Churchill

Rustyhog

NO!

Should NEVER happen. Will NEVER happen. NEVER!  :puke: