Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPNW's Updated/Expanded 2018 Recruit list (some 2019 info too)

Started by psycHOGlogist, September 07, 2017, 12:00:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

Finally out -- nearly two months after the 2017s reported to campus.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2018

Anyway, as I've said before, I have long thought that the 2018 class would be a tough one for Coach Neighbors and his staff. Arriving in 2017 and trying to establish relationships with kids from this region who'll be deciding in about 6 months' time, after they've had relationships with other programs going back a year or more was always going to be tough. Most of Neighbors' UW recruits were west coast kids who are not particularly likely to give Arkansas, typically an SEC also-ran, a careful look. So in some respects the staff is starting from scratch. It's not too surprising to me that his first real non-transfer recruit (Reece) is a 2019. That's my long-winded way of saying I don't think we should expect a really stellar 2018 recruiting class -- the 2018 instate pool has a couple real blue-chippers but isn't very deep.

Here's the short-hand on players I am very confident we are recruiting for 2018 (there are likely others I don't know about):

Yo'Myris Morris drops down the list from 59 to 88. She will be on campus this weekend (9/8) for an OV. The drop isn't that surprising because Morris was limited by injury this summer and didn't get a lot of AAU play, if any.

Rokia Doumbia comes in at 94. She'll also be on campus for an OV this weekend. Has a pretty strong offer list and is likely better than the 94th spot, but she's still relatively new to the AAU scene, and she recently reclassified from 2019 to 2018, so there are probably fewer evaluations of her than some other 2018s.

Arieal Scott is listed as the #100 player. She's someone who's recently popped up on Arkansas' radar. She had been committed to Duke (https://prospectsnation.com/story/scott-picks-duke-after-visit) but has decommitted and is looking around. Sharpshooter type. She's looking at a lot of schools closer to home than us, including the hometown University of Illinois.

I also still have this fantasy that maybe we can convince Liz Dixon (#21) to flip from GA Tech. I consider this hugely unlikely and probably a symptom of deeply pathological wishful thinking, but hey ... a guy can dream!

(Note: I didn't include Christyn Williams. I'm sure we've tried, but it's not happening.)

-------------

The 2019 list has also been expanded to 60, and Ginger Reece did not make it. Neither did Kennady Tucker. Both are listed as 3-star, 90/100 recruits. Interestingly, neither did Jayla Hemingway, whose recruiting blew up over the summer when she was offered by us and seemingly everyone else, as well (Florida, FSU, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ole Miss, & Miss St., to name a few). I guess that's my way of pointing out that the 2019 evals are pretty incomplete and speculative at this point.

Several others who I know we are recruiting are up there, however, including Taylor Jones from Dallas (6'3" P), Rickea Jackson (6'2" W/F), and Ramani Parker (6'4" F). I have no idea what are chances are with any of them, but I am pretty confident that we are interested.

LadybackBBFan

The commitments are interesting.  UCON and South Carolina only have one each.  Maryland has the most both for 2018 & 2019.  Auburn appears to be doing fairly well.  Any comments by anyone?

psycHOGlogist

I noticed that Auburn's commits are all small-ish guards. I'm not sure how that's going to help their team, tbh. UConn is in on almost all, if not all, of the remaining blue-chippers for 2018 (that's where I think Christyn Williams ends up, fwiw. Maybe Nelson-Ododa, too, though they have Collier already.).

SC's recruiting lately has been interesting. They've had two guards transfer out already this year, but of course Te'a Cooper transferred in, too. It just seems that apart from Wilson and Harris, almost all of their all-star talent the past couple years has come from transfers.

Florida State is killing it in recruiting lately, imo.

LadybackBBFan

thanks for your analysis.   I have not followed recruiting as you have.  I agree with you on Williams.  I follow her on Twitter and Arkansas is not even on her radar.  I just hope she does not influence some of the other players in the State.  I would not like to see her in the SEC.  Go to Connecticut.

flippinhogmana

I dont see us (because we have so many freshmen-juniors) taking anyone that doesn't have height unless it is a spectacular shooter or something.  Next year, we have a bunch of juniors to replace and alot more slots to fill.

Next year I think we play three guard most of the time and two forwards, quick-out score them style of offense and as tenacious defense before it gets down low as possible.  When Dungee and Gaulden are available, you might see two guards and three forwards a lot unless we get either a lot more developed weaver or a transfer big girl.  but it will be the same emphasize on out scoring them and prevent style defense.  We wont handle many people on the boards. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

I think we'd take Doumbia if she wanted to come. We've offered, and she plays for the Banshees. I think we are highly invested in making all the inroads we can with that club.

As for the 2020s, it's great to see Eaton up there, but I am gobsmacked that Goforth is not!

psycHOGlogist