Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wally Hall says FAMU may be the last ever game in Little Rock? Buyout Yes or No

Started by RedSkiesAtNightHog, August 27, 2017, 12:45:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: GuvHog on August 28, 2017, 10:57:20 am
Name one SEC stadium that has at least the same amount of club seating and indoor seating that DWRRS will have when the latest expansion project is complete.

Oh I'm not disagreeing GuvHog, DWR will probably be one the coolest facilities in Nation once completed.  I was just saying WMS has served it's purpose and should continue to be the site for High School regular season games, High School Championships, FCS in-state programs, and even ASU-J should look into playing a game there every once in a while.  I believe all Hog home games should be in DWR moving fwd. 

Piggfoot

Quote from: ricepig on August 28, 2017, 10:28:10 am
Please provide a breakdown by county the number of season tickets held in each, if not, it's just a ridiculous guess. As to interstate traffic, it's busy all the time, lol.
It is my understanding you have better access to that information than I. lol
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: GuvHog on August 28, 2017, 10:57:20 am
Name one SEC stadium that has at least the same amount of club seating and indoor seating that DWRRS will have when the latest expansion project is complete.

To an athletic director, the ideal stadium would be a perfectly smooth cylinder several stories high of skyboxes surrounding a football field.

The only reason they build the stands is because they're structurally necessary to hold up club seating.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

GuvHog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on August 28, 2017, 11:22:46 am
To an athletic director, the ideal stadium would be a perfectly smooth cylinder several stories high of skyboxes surrounding a football field.

The only reason they build the stands is because they're structurally necessary to hold up club seating.

Having that many club seats and indoor seating is very rare for college football stadiums.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: colbs on August 28, 2017, 10:56:25 am
The U of A doesn't owe you anything.  At the end of the day they have to do what is best in their mind.  The fact is they lose money every time they play in LR.  They cannot host official visitors.  Even if they could I'm sure the recruits would rather see the place they could potentially spend the next 4 years of their life rather than a game in LR.  I wanted games to stay in LR for the longest but after the past 4 years of not being even able to sell the games out I'm fine with no more games in LR.

It's sad that you are not as big of a fan because of this.  If it was such s big deal for people why haven't they filled the stadium?  All I see are excuses(tickets are too high, Thursday game, playing against a bad team, etc.).  If some really wanted to go to the games they could.  I mean it didn't even sell out for the GA game.

Of course they don't owe me anything.  Neither do I owe them anything. Arkansas and LSU are equally distant from me.  I have a degree from Arkansas but not the athletic department.  They've lost interest in playing in Little Rock to such an extent that they no longer try to schedule great games there and fans that go to LR have known it for years.  They've let us fans know we aren't that important to them.  Now the feeling is mutual. They're not my one and only team any more.  I'm not rabid about their games anymore.

I don't owe them passion or deep loyalty.  They are a ticket and a trip, not my "mama" anymore. Like I said, they shouldn't let the door hit them in the butt on the way out.  And they should never come back to the Rock in any sport. They don't consider Little Rock, Arkansas home.  I don't consider them the home team.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

ricepig

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on August 28, 2017, 12:58:30 pm
Of course they don't owe me anything.  Neither do I owe them anything. Arkansas and LSU are equally distant from me.  I have a degree from Arkansas but not the athletic department.  They've lost interest in playing in Little Rock to such an extent that they no longer try to schedule great games there and fans that go to LR have known it for years.  They've let us fans know we aren't that important to them.  Now the feeling is mutual. They're not my one and only team any more.  I'm not rabid about their games anymore.

I don't owe them passion or deep loyalty.  They are a ticket and a trip, not my "mama" anymore. Like I said, they shouldn't let the door hit them in the butt on the way out.  And they should never come back to the Rock in any sport. They don't consider Little Rock, Arkansas home.  I don't consider them the home team.

So, how many games has LSU played in the Rock that didn't involve the University of Arkansas? I mean, they're your new home team, surely they are appeasing you by playing close to home?

hogsanity

If the people in LR really just want the Hogs there, they would not care who the opponent is.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on August 28, 2017, 01:01:33 pm
So, how many games has LSU played in the Rock that didn't involve the University of Arkansas? I mean, they're your new home team, surely they are appeasing you by playing close to home?

Sadly, there are Little Rock fans who think every team in nation is dying to play in WMS.  The reality is that not even other instate schools want to play there:

"We're very open to entertaining any offer, but for us to just go pay rent some place, that's not going to happen," ASU Athletic Director Terry Mohajir said. "It has to be financially beneficial to help strengthen our program."

ASU and UAPB had a oral agreement to play its 2013 game there, but it was moved to Jonesboro so ASU could play its first game under then-Coach Bryan Harsin on campus. Mohajir and Crass haven't talked about playing a future game in central Arkansas since.

"We have great supporters in central Arkansas, but we're going to make our decisions on how it benefits Arkansas State and our athletic department," Mohajir said.

UCA Athletic Director Brad Teague said the last time his school played at War Memorial in 2008 resulted in a "big financial loss."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/oct/17/war-memorial-not-an-easy-sell-20141017/

Here is the funny thing..... jonesboro state fans think that WMS should pay them and/or their opponent to play a neutral site game in Little Rock:

http://scout.com/college/arkansas-state/Article/An-Open-Letter-to-the-leadership-in-Central-Arkansas-wanting-Tro-106158494

IF little rock fans want a true home team then they better start pumping money into the LRU athletic department.  Their poor students are footing the bill enough.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: hogsanity on August 28, 2017, 01:03:37 pm
If the people in LR really just want the Hogs there, they would not care who the opponent is.

The poor opponent excuse is a lie. The worst attended game in WMS was against LSU in 1996.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2013/sep/08/samford-attendance-lowest-11-years/

Last years attendance vs. Alcorn (46,988) had more than three of the LSU games in WMS.

But if you go by the excuse makers wms fans will only show up when the hogs are good, the opponent is elite, and the weather is perfect.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

So were they letting all the fans in Texas know they didn't care about them when they switched to the SEC and no longer played several games a year there? No. It's not where the fans live that is important it is the passion they have for the team. Apparently you never had enough passion to begin with. It appears you weren't a big enough fan anyway or you wouldn't care where they play.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 28, 2017, 01:16:03 pm
so were they letting fans in Texas know they didn't care about them when they switched to the SEC and no longer played several games a year there? No. It's not where the fans live that is important it is the passion they have for the team. Apparently you never had enough passion to begin with.

You choose to believe anything you want. Playing at WMS was symbolic of state support and appreciation of it. And I don't care at all about what u think about my passion. I've read enough of your comments not to give a crap.

HogHomer

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on August 28, 2017, 01:23:10 pm
You choose to believe anything you want. Playing at WMS was symbolic of state support and appreciation of it. And I don't care at all about what u think about my passion. I've read enough of your comments not to give a crap.
All I'm reading is it's not convenient for me and I'm not shown enough attention by the University. If this is what causes you to stop supporting the Hogs then good riddance we would rather have people who care about the Hogs and want them to get the most advantages possible. Instead some choose to whine because the Hogs have decided to play all their home games in their HOME stadium.

colbs

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on August 28, 2017, 01:23:10 pm
Arkansas is the only school that still does this. Times have changed.  It use to take longer to get to Fayetteville.  Like I said if it was important as some say it is then the GA game 2014 would have been sold out.  I felt it was a chance for the fans to make a statement.  Instead it made the choice really easy for the U of A. I mean there is no reason for any game not to get 50k in the stadium. 

hogsanity

Quote from: colbs on August 28, 2017, 01:35:58 pm
Arkansas is the only school that still does this. Times have changed.  It use to take longer to get to Fayetteville.  Like I said if it was important as some say it is then the GA game 2014 would have been sold out.  I felt it was a chance for the fans to make a statement.  Instead it made the choice really easy for the U of A. I mean there is no reason for any game not to get 50k in the stadium. 

most Hog fans, and maybe all fans of any team, want filet at chopped steak prices.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: colbs on August 28, 2017, 01:35:58 pm

I agree the GA game should have sold out. But by that time the pull out of LR was coming regardless.  I just want the pullout to be complete. The fans statewide are not the team's or university's concern. Time for them to go home and evacuate the rest of the state.

PonderinHog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on August 28, 2017, 01:46:28 pm
I agree the GA game should have sold out. But by that time the pull out of LR was coming regardless.  I just want the pullout to be complete. The fans statewide are not the team's or university's concern. Time for them to go home and evacuate the rest of the state.
Were you born with two sets of lips, so you can piss and moan at the same time?

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on August 28, 2017, 07:11:26 am
He's in Florida, he can tell these things, he's gifted like that........

It can't be taught, I was born with it.

Just for laughs, and I know it isn't gonna happen, but if LSU played Arkansas State in WMS and 35000 coon-asses showed up in Little Rock, the NWA residents on this site would have a fit.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 28, 2017, 01:48:34 pm
Were you born with two sets of lips, so you can piss and moan at the same time?

Never heard of that. You have personal experience?

PonderinHog

GuvHog

Quote from: LZH on August 28, 2017, 01:51:33 pm

Just for laughs, and I know it isn't gonna happen, but if LSU played Arkansas State in WMS and 35000 coon-asses showed up in Little Rock, the NWA residents on this site would have a fit.

It won't ever happen but if it did, there is no doubt in my mind that it would be a sellout with most of the stadium occupied by LSU fans.

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

DoctorSusscrofa

PonderinHog

DoctorSusscrofa

factchecker

Quote from: LZH on August 28, 2017, 01:51:33 pm

1. Nobody is playing in wms unless they are getting paid.

2. The last time jonesboro state played in front of the great WMS fans was in 2006 vs. Okie Lite.  They had an amazing 20k in attendance.

You can see packed stands behind Gundy in the picture below:

3. Why would Razorback fans be mad?  We would have 60k+ at our stadium regardless.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on August 27, 2017, 03:38:03 pm
And will lose the Razorback football games after 70 years.

Unfortunately it needs to happen....years of mismanagement by the city board of directors, and this doesn't fall on the UA. They supported LR for decades. I cant believe they let the Travelers go, and I still cant believe that Riverfest is no longer!

Little Rock is dying.... : {

Youngsta71701

Whenever the contract runs out I think that will be it. Hopefully Little Rock can go ahead and get their football program going and use War Memorial as it's home stadium. Been hearing that it's gaining momentum.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

GuvHog

Quote from: factchecker on August 28, 2017, 02:04:38 pm

1. Nobody is playing in wms unless they are getting paid.

2. The last time jonesboro state played in front of the great WMS fans was in 2006 vs. Okie Lite.  They had an amazing 20k in attendance.

You can see packed stands behind Gundy in the picture below:

3. Why would Razorback fans be mad?  We would have 60k+ at our stadium regardless.

LSU's fans travel really well and with LR being within a reasonable driving distance of Louisiana, they would come in droves. A-State could make it worthwhile for LSU to come to WMS to play them and make a killing off of ticket sales alone. The game would sell out and most of those attending would be LSU fans.

AirWarren

Who cares anymore, really?

WMS. Dwrrs. We are still a mid level program. No matter where they play.

Here is hoping for 8+ wins.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: hoglady on August 27, 2017, 09:31:00 pm
The city of Little Rock doesn't own WMS - it's owned by the state.
They have no control over renovations, improvements or contracts.

City Directors had years to improve the situation but decided to turn a blind eye. So many issues in LR, and so little taxes to work with, and when there is money it is mismanaged.

Just a very sad, situation all around.

WSPHOG

I know there's just a bunch trolls stirring the pot with a lot of bs but the reason games are being moved is $$$. Bottom line....

1. Razorbacks have to rent WMS
2. WMS gets concessions
3. Loss of regular tickets sales
4. Loss of box and outdoor club tix sales
4. Transportation and lodging for the team
5. Transportation and lodging for band and cheerleaders
6. Equipment and game day management staff travel
7. The team has to travel and can't sleep in there own bed for a home game

$2 million loss to the U of A each game in LR bottom line

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: WSPHOG on August 28, 2017, 02:42:35 pm
I know there's just a bunch trolls stirring the pot with a lot of bs but the reason games are being moved is $$$. Bottom line....

2. WMS gets concessions

Makes sense to me...

buldozer

Oh no, its another great Missouri Razorback Debate..... going forward they plan to recruit Missouri rather than South Arkansas. The university has made its decision so why debate it? Kids in South Arkansas have been migrating to LaTech and other schools, so they have moved on....me too.

ricepig

2. WMS gets concessions

7. They sleep in a motel room in Springdale on Friday night of home games.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: hogsanity on August 28, 2017, 01:03:37 pm

I cut my teeth on attending HOG games in LR, but I have favored moving all games to Fayetteville for several years, and for a variety of reasons.  That said, I think you need to compare "apples to apples."  Do you really think this game would sell out on any night, much less a Thursday night, in Fayetteville?  Sellouts in that stadium aren't guaranteed, not now anyway.

Simple Swineman

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on August 28, 2017, 02:54:51 pm
I cut my teeth on attending HOG games in LR, but I have favored moving all games to Fayetteville for several years, and for a variety of reasons.  That said, I think you need to compare "apples to apples."  Do you really think this game would sell out on any night, much less a Thursday night, in Fayetteville.  Sellouts in that stadium aren't guaranteed, not now anyway.

How is it an "apples to apples" comparison when you are comparing selling out a 55,000 seat stadium vs. a 70,000 seat stadium?

If you want to compare "apples to apples" you must ask if the game in Fayetteville bring in more than 55,000 people? And based on no-name opponents in recent years Fayetteville has easily exceeded 55,000 for such games. But even that is not "apples to apples" because it doesn't take in to account box seats, concessions, etc.

AirWarren

Quote from: buldozer on August 28, 2017, 02:47:47 pm
Oh no, its another great Missouri Razorback Debate..... going forward they plan to recruit Missouri rather than South Arkansas. The university has made its decision so why debate it? Kids in South Arkansas have been migrating to LaTech and other schools, so they have moved on....me too.

Bingo.

WSPHOG

Ricepig you know everything i said is true if your close to uofa at all.....they are very open to the boosters on the $$$ investment put into a LR games. You can take out #7 since they stay at hotel to corral the players the before the Fayetteville games.

ricepig

Quote from: WSPHOG on August 28, 2017, 03:00:33 pm
Ricepig you know everything i said is true if your close to uofa at all.....they are very open to the boosters on the $$$ investment put into a LR games. You can take out #7 since they stay at hotel to corral the players the before the Fayetteville games.

I was just correcting #7 for you. I agree on the rest.

factchecker

This is the biggest factor.  Fans of wms don't care but they need to realize that The University of Arkansas is the only instate school with a self sufficient athletic program.  Unlike other in-state athletic programs, we don't live off of subsidies.  We don't rely on student fees.  In order to keep this practice viable we have to maximize profit.  We also have to make enough money to support the non-revenue sports.  Losing $2 million dollars to play a home game on the road does not help us at all.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

WSPHOG

southeasthog

Why are all you "I've moved on" folks on a Razorback message board? Just to troll the ones who are still fans?

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

AirWarren

Quote from: southeasthog on August 28, 2017, 03:16:17 pm
Why are all you "I've moved on" folks on a Razorback message board? Just to troll the ones who are still fans?

Here is the thing. I'm a razorback fan.

Just don't waddle myself in unrealistic expectations.

AirWarren

lstewart

The bottom line... it is about what is the most profitable for the university, and that has ALWAYS been the case. The Hogs started playing in War Memorial long ago because they could make more money doing that than playing all their games in a smaller stadium and smaller population at the campus home. So, yes, having state wide support has always been great, and I am sure they want to keep it. But they did not go for statewide support 70 years ago to make less money for the athletic program. That was how they made more money. Everything is very different now than it was 70 years ago. The UA campus has more students than the entire population of NW Arkansas was back then. You can be sure the athletic department is aware of every small factor related to all these issues.... recruiting, central and south state support, political issues, etc, etc. But it was always about money then, and it is about money now. What do you think the local Fayetteville folks and UA students thought over all those years when their home team traveled for 3 or 4 road games a year in Little Rock so they could make more money? Same shoe, other foot..... I grew up in SE Ark, went to college in SW Ark, and then lived for another 10 years or so in South Arkansas after college. I went to a couple of Fayetteville games as a kid, and one when I was first married, but most of my Razorback football was at Little Rock. Man, I loved it. We had season tickets when I was in my later 20's, and early 30's to all the LR games. So I have great memories, and it was a lot of fun. But it was always about money.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: Simple Swineman on August 28, 2017, 02:59:30 pm
How is it an "apples to apples" comparison when you are comparing selling out a 55,000 seat stadium vs. a 70,000 seat stadium?

If you want to compare "apples to apples" you must ask if the game in Fayetteville bring in more than 55,000 people? And based on no-name opponents in recent years Fayetteville has easily exceeded 55,000 for such games. But even that is not "apples to apples" because it doesn't take in to account box seats, concessions, etc.

I'm just asking a legitimate question, without an agenda.  So I will ask again using your "apples."   When did Fayetteville sell in excess of 55,000 seats for a similar opponent on a Thursday night?  Who was that opponent?  You can exclude box seats because that isn't a relevant comparison.  Also exclude concessions because that's a different argument entirely.  Just looking at "metal bleacher seat" against "metal bleacher seat."  I really would like to know.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: lstewart on August 28, 2017, 03:41:19 pm
The bottom line... it is about what is the most profitable for the university, and that has ALWAYS been the case. The Hogs started playing in War Memorial long ago because they could make more money doing that than playing all their games in a smaller stadium and smaller population at the campus home. So, yes, having state wide support has always been great, and I am sure they want to keep it. But they did not go for statewide support 70 years ago to make less money for the athletic program. That was how they made more money. Everything is very different now than it was 70 years ago. The UA campus has more students than the entire population of NW Arkansas was back then. You can be sure the athletic department is aware of every small factor related to all these issues.... recruiting, central and south state support, political issues, etc, etc. But it was always about money then, and it is about money now. What do you think the local Fayetteville folks and UA students thought over all those years when their home team traveled for 3 or 4 road games a year in Little Rock so they could make more money? Same shoe, other foot..... I grew up in SE Ark, went to college in SW Ark, and then lived for another 10 years or so in South Arkansas after college. I went to a couple of Fayetteville games as a kid, and one when I was first married, but most of my Razorback football was at Little Rock. Man, I loved it. We had season tickets when I was in my later 20's, and early 30's to all the LR games. So I have great memories, and it was a lot of fun. But it was always about money.

Good times.  That's a good post right there.

GuvHog

2. WMS gets concessions

The Razorbacks no longer pay rent to play in WMS and haven't in a couple of years.

snoblind

Quote from: GuvHog on August 28, 2017, 02:11:47 pm
LSU's fans travel really well and with LR being within a reasonable driving distance of Louisiana, they would come in droves. A-State could make it worthwhile for LSU to come to WMS to play them and make a killing off of ticket sales alone. The game would sell out and most of those attending would be LSU fans.

Why would LSU play in WMS when they have Death Valley?  They aren't making more of a killing than they can in their own stadium.  Nothing ASU could do would entice them.  Rent a wins don't have juice.