Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NFL Roster sizes

Started by bennyl08, August 14, 2017, 07:28:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

I remember in previous years, there were two major cut dates. First one happened around mid-preseason and teams had to go down to something like 70-75 players on their roster before the second cut date was after the final preseason game and everybody had to go down to the usual 53 man roster.

I was looking for those dates this season and can only find that there is to be the culling to 53 after the final preseason game, but no intermediate number.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2017/5/24/15683192/nfl-rule-changes-no-more-75-man-roster-cut-revamped-overtime-rules-on-field-celebrations-and-more

Decided to look more into it, and voila, here's the answer.

Not sure how I feel about this. Overall, I can't say I disagree with it. I mean, all the intermediate cut does is make you use actual players in the 4th preseason game and force you to cut some guys who may have shown you something extra in week's 3 and 4. However, I liked knowing how close to the bubble an individual player might be. For example, if somebody like Hatcher got cut in the cuts to 75, chances are his NFL career would be over. However, if he survived the first cut and was only cut in the final roster cuts, then he'd have a decent shot of making a practice squad and if nothing else, getting called by a team to participate in camp the next season.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Tai_Mai_Shu

I read somewhere teams was against the cut because they wanted to play of the guys in the final preseason games before having to cut them. I actually like this better because it gives some guys a last chance effort to get noticed and make an impression before getting cut or possibly being on the practice squad.