Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starkville

Started by guppyman, October 29, 2016, 11:31:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

guppyman

I have tickets to the Miss State game. There are a few airports in the area. It appears KGTR is the best option for a rental car. Does anyone have any PIREPS? I'll call about the fees; however, if anyone has any idea on them, please feel free to share.

Thanks!

bvillepig

I have been into KGTR and Starkville. Both are easy in and out.  The FBO is owned by the same group.  Starkville is defiantly closer. One year when I called they asked me to go to Starkville instead of GTR because there wasn't going to be anyone to handle fuel at KGTR. I would call ahead.

I have someone pick me up so have never needed a car.

I am also coming to the Ms State game but am coming in on Friday so will be coming into KGTR. Look forward to possibly seeing you. Go Hogs.

guppyman

Thanks for the info. I did call the FBO. 100LL shouldn't be a problem. Tiedown for a single engine is $10/night. They will waive 2 nights with a 10 gallon minimum fuel purchase. I'll probably roll in Friday afternoon/evening.

bvillepig

Great. Take Care and have a good flight.

gotyacovered

You boys have fun... Let us know how it goes
You are what you tolerate.

bvillepig

I had to leave a little early to beat the cold front approaching.  I filed IFR because of the weather and found out that GTR had a special Notam called a NTAP. It took me about 20 minutes to find it on the FAA web site. It had to do with special instructions on filing routes coming from the west or east for the Mississippi Sate football games. 

Called FS to amend my routing from direct to meet the special instructions. The special route for all IFR aircraft took me to a way point in West Mississippi and then about 15 miles north of GTR on the final approach fix. It added about 20 minutes to the flight. However about 10 minutes from the first waypoint Memphis Center cleared me direct to GTR.

GTR has renovated their FBO and was very helpful and there was only a King Air on the ramp when i got there.

Last night leaving a great game "WOO PIG"  there were a lot planes on the ramp.   An added highlight was the 757 on final approach that was coming in to pick up the team. We left a little early because a good friend of mine in the steel business needed to get back so he could go duck hunting this morning. He's a Tennessee fan from Charleston so I might have to find different friends to go to Razorback games. lol

It was a beautiful no bump perfectly smooth flight home.

guppyman

Well, this was a good learning experience trip. A couple of months ago, I had reserved the hotel room for both Friday and Saturday night. (I had no idea when the game would be.) Once I learned that the game would be late Saturday, I had planned to leave out Saturday morning. (I live in Houston.) It would have been a solid 4 hour flight with no wind in my old Beechcraft Sundowner. The cold front was supposed to blow into Houston Friday mid-morning. On Wednesday, I told the wife we would probably just leave Saturday morning. I reviewed the weather Thursday evening. They had moved the cold front to mid-Friday afternoon. There was going to be a nasty north wind Saturday morning. I told her if we got up in the morning on Friday with no thunderstorms we were heading out.

Friday morning was a tad overcast. I filed IFR, and we headed out. We had a slight nice southerly wind. We stopped at Concordia (04R) for gas and picnic lunch we packed. It was a sleepy little airport. The price on gas had gone up since I had looked at it the night before. The bathrooms leaved a lot to be desired, but that's what you get at these little country airports.

We completed the trip to KGTR. We got in around 3:00pm after leaving about 10:00am. This included our hour pit stop. The FBO was excellent. Rental car waiting on the ramp. Very attentive line folks.

We headed out about 11am with an hour stop at Alexandria (KAEX) for cheaper gas. We landed back at the home drone about 4:30pm. We didn't have the nice wind on the return. 

The briefer told me about the NTAP when I called for the briefing Sunday morning before leaving. I asked for more information. After a long time looking and talk with the supervisor, I learned it was about the game. (That briefing took 18 minutes.)

bvillepig

Glad you enjoyed.

Lol. The briefer told me I could find the NTAP on the FAA website and if I couldn't call back and they would look it up and read it to me.  Took me 20 minutes to find it. I learned something so it was a good experience.

I had flown places where we used the SMTP web site and filed for a slot time but never had to file a route using the NTAP.
Glad everything went well.