Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

H. Nutt weighs in on Razorbacks' current status

Started by WizardofhOgZ, September 15, 2017, 01:48:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogdomer

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on September 15, 2017, 01:48:59 pm
https://soundcloud.com/1037thebuzz/houston-nutt-on-the-swnn-9-13-2017

He is exactly right.  We have looked flat and uninspired. 

Houston has a ton of faults but I can almost guarantee if you gave him these players we would be 2-0 right now.  He knows how important beating the old SWC and nearby schools is to a lot of our older fans and would have had them ready, see Texas in 2000, 2003 and 2004.  We even played a vastly more talented OU team to a standstill in the 2002 Cotton Bowl.  We certainly wouldn't have been embarrassed on our home field by TCU and Texas Tech.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BigBrandonAllenFan

311Hog

i can't listen to him speak, still to soon for me. But yes this was the only thing he did well IMHO was Reverend up a good ole pre game speech to get the boys fired up you know...  we do look uninspired.

Can we hire the guy Auburn had that stood on the side line constantly spinning a towel?

phadedhawg

"You go in front of 72k in Fayetteville and TCU is too comfortable"

phadedhawg

Now HDN is going on about them boys need to sing the fight song more.  It's odd....it's like he's stuck in a time loop...but he's still all hog. 

Ugh...having conflicted feelings right now.

phadedhawg

Bret outta bring HDN into to the locker room before the A&M game and get these boys fired up

phadedhawg

It's an odd optic though to have 103.7 courting an ex coach live on the air.  I don't get to listen to these broadcasts often.  Is this typical?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 15, 2017, 02:09:01 pm
It's an odd optic though to have 103.7 courting an ex coach live on the air.  I don't get to listen to these broadcasts often.  Is this typical?

It's not the first time he's been on TSWNN.  The hosts suck up to him pretty good.  Nutt eats it up.  It might be a weekly thing on Wednesdays, but I'm not sure.

On this edition, Nutt broke down the lyrics of the fight song and talked about how he'd use each one to motivate different parts of the team.  Since this team does seem to play flat with no fire, Nutt had a point.  However, inviting him back (the hosts on the show, and several callers) is something I can't do.  Sure he got some teams fired up for some play-over-your-head wins, but for every one of those, there are 2 head scratching losses right around the corner.

Nutt's last game at Ark, he beat a team that would go on to win a national title one their field, yet he has a 2-4 record against Vandy.

phadedhawg

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on September 15, 2017, 02:24:06 pm
It's not the first time he's been on TSWNN.  The hosts suck up to him pretty good.  Nutt eats it up.  It might be a weekly thing on Wednesdays, but I'm not sure.

On this edition, Nutt broke down the lyrics of the fight song and talked about how he'd use each one to motivate different parts of the team.  Since this team does seem to play flat with no fire, Nutt had a point.  However, inviting him back (the hosts on the show, and several callers) is something I can't do.  Sure he got some teams fired up for some play-over-your-head wins, but for every one of those, there are 2 head scratching losses right around the corner.

Nutt's last game at Ark, he beat a team that would go on to win a national title one their field, yet he has a 2-4 record against Vandy.

Thank you for breaking that down for me.  I thought I might be witnessing a coup on 103.7.  It still seems odd with how Nutt was blasted out of town that his reputation and repaired enough that callers want to hear what he has to say. 

I think you're right, Nutt was a good motivator but that was the only trick in his bag.  Still, after TCU, a little bit of Houston acts like a tonic. hahaha

sickboy

The Boar War

Quote from: Hogdomer on September 15, 2017, 02:01:04 pm
We certainly wouldn't have been embarrassed on our home field by TCU and Texas Tech.

You're right.  It would have been Kentucky.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: 311Hog on September 15, 2017, 02:03:13 pm
i can't listen to him speak, still to soon for me. But yes this was the only thing he did well IMHO was Reverend up a good ole pre game speech to get the boys fired up you know...  we do look uninspired.

Can we hire the guy Auburn had that stood on the side line constantly spinning a towel?
well just look at our coach during the games. DUH. Would you be excited?

hogcard1964

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 15, 2017, 02:01:12 pm
Damn Houston made some real sense!
Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on September 15, 2017, 02:01:42 pm
Can we get him back?
Quote from: rzrbaxfan on September 15, 2017, 02:24:06 pm
...he has a 2-4 record against Vandy.

Nevermind what I said about getting him back.  I forgot about that Vandy thing.

hogfanincajunland

"IF" HDN was to come in with the right coordinators and let them do what they're there to do, I would much rather him than what we have now. I also think he'd make a much better AD than what we have now. He is a true Hog and he loves the UofA. Biggest mistake JFB ever made, God rest his soul, was bring in that carpetbagger who has no true understanding or respect for our history.

The Power Of Pork

I don't know how to put a number to our level of puckered but I will say that most folks in here are puckered up to a level if they farted only a well trained dog could hear it.~ The OTR

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: hogfanincajunland on September 15, 2017, 02:41:48 pm
"IF" HDN was to come in with the right coordinators and let them do what they're there to do, I would much rather him than what we have now. I also think he'd make a much better AD than what we have now. He is a true Hog and he loves the UofA. Biggest mistake JFB ever made, God rest his soul, was bring in that carpetbagger who has no true understanding or respect for our history.

We could have had Terry Don, but we couldn't get JFB to retire, God rest his soul, so Clemson got Terry Don and he hired Dabo.  We all know how that turned out.

Hogdomer

Quote from: The Boar War on September 15, 2017, 02:30:44 pm
You're right.  It would have been Kentucky.

Correct.  And don't forget Vandy.  Frankly I'd rather lose to both of those and a lot of other alums who live in Texas would too, though.  Losing to Tech, getting blown out by TCU and constantly losing to the Aggies makes it hard to fly the flag.

Letsroll1200

One of the best that Little Rock, AR. has produced. Houston Nutt record at Arkansas speaks for itself. Hit that line....

solitons

Quote from: Hogdomer on September 15, 2017, 02:01:04 pm
He is exactly right.  We have looked flat and uninspired. 

Houston has a ton of faults but I can almost guarantee if you gave him these players we would be 2-0 right now.  He knows how important beating the old SWC and nearby schools is to a lot of our older fans and would have had them ready, see Texas in 2000, 2003 and 2004.  We even played a vastly more talented OU team to a standstill in the 2002 Cotton Bowl.  We certainly wouldn't have been embarrassed on our home field by TCU and Texas Tech.
yeah, he beat Les, Saban, and others

hoss cartrack

I agree with the poster who said he was conflicted.  The comments when he left for ole missed.....still in my head.  That said I've always believed that no one has ever WANTED to be the coach at Arkansas more than Houston. 

Very conflicted.....
hey baby....you look like a real bad idea.   come on over herel

Dark Helmet Hog

This is why drug screens are necessary.

311Hog

Quote from: hoss cartrack on September 15, 2017, 02:56:44 pm
I agree with the poster who said he was conflicted.  The comments when he left for ole missed.....still in my head.  That said I've always believed that no one has ever WANTED to be the coach at Arkansas more than Houston. 

Very conflicted.....

yeah to become the head coach, but not nearly enough effort to do what it took to stay the head coach.

yay i got the job! imma go take a 7 year nap now.

hogfanincajunland

QuoteThis is why drug screens are necessary.

Why? Because I have a view that you disagree with?

TNRazorbacker

Could we hire him- not as coach god no- but just to be a lunatic that runs the sidelines carrying a flag, leads the band occasionally, flirts with the cheerleaders on the field, magic tricks, occasional pre game pep talks, sentimental stories about his days with paw paw, etc. He could also join the coaches during post game or call in shows to add background noise and sound effects (i.e., commentary). Kind of like a mascot minus the foam suit.

In other words just hire him for what he was good at. He might just take it. Could work wonders for the flat problem.

IronHog

Quote from: hoss cartrack on September 15, 2017, 02:56:44 pm

Very conflicted.....

Remember he had the chosen one and the Gus bus and messed it up......
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

GoHogzzGo

I'd still rather have Jaba the Hut than have Hooty back.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

cj_sez

I am not conflicted at all in regards to Nutt. The narcissist was not good for the program. Maybe he bled little piggies, but his ego far outweighed his ability. He can criticize, accurately find errors now, but could he when was the one making errors? Nope, not in my opinion.

Leave the past where it belongs.

Bebop

If he was corralled to being the ra-ra/hype man and nothing else, then there might be a spot for him.

Athog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on September 15, 2017, 01:48:59 pm
https://soundcloud.com/1037thebuzz/houston-nutt-on-the-swnn-9-13-2017

I am shocked that anyone on here would say anything positive about a Houston Nutt. I would love to go back and read some old comments made in his last two years. 

phadedhawg

Quote from: Athog on September 15, 2017, 03:47:06 pm
I am shocked that anyone on here would say anything positive about a Houston Nutt. I would love to go back and read some old comments made in his last two years. 

these are strange times...

hoghearted

Even a blind Hog finds an acorn now and then.

Never would I want to see Nutt back on our sidelines
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

GuvHog

I think he'd make a much better AD than what we have now. He is a true Hog and he loves the UofA. Biggest mistake JFB ever made, God rest his soul, was bring in that carpetbagger who has no true understanding or respect for our history.

I agree 100%. He would be better as AD than Jeff Long. Even though he was at Ole Miss for a while, it's obvious by his words that he's a Razorback at heart.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

phadedhawg

If Nutt was made AD, the national media will think Arkansas has gone completely crazy.  For better or worse, our fan base's reaction to the Nutt years kinda elevated us to among the craziest fan bases in America.  Not debating whether it's true or not just saying that was the national impression of our Nutt years. 

If we were to hand Nutt the keys to the BAC, my goodness....they would wonder what we were smoking.  lolol

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on September 15, 2017, 04:15:08 pm
I agree 100%. He would be better as AD than Jeff Long. Even though he was at Ole Miss for a while, it's obvious by his words that he's a Razorback at heart.

Is that why he transferred to OSU?

Nutt is and always has been about himself.

elksnort

Quote from: 311Hog on September 15, 2017, 02:03:13 pm

Trooper Taylor is at Arkansas State.

elksnort

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 15, 2017, 02:07:22 pm
Bret outta bring HDN into to the locker room before the A&M game and get these boys fired up
I might get pounded for this but I tell you this would not be a bad idea

Sed76

Nutt a "True Hog" who ran to Oklahoma State in the middle of the night and did his best to ruin the program on his way out the door when he was let go as coach. Frick that guy and his BFF Tommy the drunk Smith.

phadedhawg

Quote from: Sed76 on September 15, 2017, 04:25:39 pm
Nutt a "True Hog" who ran to Oklahoma State in the middle of the night and did his best to ruin the program on his way out the door when he was let go as coach. Frick that guy and his BFF Tommy the drunk Smith.

Different folks have different standards.  I've heard lots of great things about Eddie Sutton and he crawled to Kentucky.  Sometimes they leave. 

Not defending Nutt, just saying some of our past heroes have done similar things.

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 15, 2017, 04:20:08 pm
Is that why he transferred to OSU?

Nutt is and always has been about himself.

Why he transferred to OSU is common knowledge. When he came to Arkansas, he was a pure drop back passer and Frank was running the "I" formation. When Frank retired and Holtz became the head coach, he switched to the "Veer Option" offense. Nutt was not an option QB so he dropped from the #2 QB spot to the #4 QB spot.. That's why he transferred out. Houston Nutt has always been a Hog at heart. He turned down a scholarship offer from Bear Bryant and Alabama to be a Hog.

cj_sez

factchecker

Quote from: Sed76 on September 15, 2017, 04:25:39 pm

Yep.

He quit the Razorbacks to go play for Okie Lite.
Nutt is an Oklahoma State alumnus.
Nutt doesn't bleed Razorback Red.  He bleeds Cowboy Orange.

Quote from: GuvHog on September 15, 2017, 04:31:59 pm
Why he transferred to OSU is common knowledge. When he came to Arkansas, he was a pure drop back passer and Frank was running the "I" formation. When Frank retired and Holtz became the head coach, he switched to the "Veer Option" offense. Nutt was not an option QB so he dropped from the #2 QB spot to the #4 QB spot.. That's why he transferred out. Houston Nutt has always been a Hog at heart. He turned down a scholarship offer from Bear Bryant and Alabama to be a Hog.

He transferred to Oklahoma State where he sat the bench also.  If Nutt is such a hog at heart then why in the hell did he embarrass The University of Arkansas and the Razorbacks with the Mustain situation, Code Red, Mr. Interception King emails, and the golden handcuffs.  Why didn't he conduct himself better?

People forget that Nutt's biggest downfall wasn't wins and losses but all the garbage that occurred off the field.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Porkette

Nutt's last 2-3 years here were even stranger times than now. So much drama. He brought most of that on himself and by that point deserved a lot of the criticism. But every time someone would post about him "destroying our football program" I would think, "um, did you watch any games from about 92-97? That's not exactly accurate." A balanced perspective is possible.  ;D
GO HOGS GO!

elksnort

I would rather have Butt than Beliema at this point.

GuvHog

Quote from: factchecker on September 15, 2017, 04:36:19 pm
Yep.

He quit the Razorbacks to go play for Okie Lite.
Nutt is an Oklahoma State alumnus.
Nutt doesn't bleed Razorback Red.  He bleeds Cowboy Orange.

He transferred to Oklahoma State where he sat the bench also.  If Nutt is such a hog at heart then why in the hell did he embarrass The University of Arkansas and the Razorbacks with the Mustain situation, Code Red, Mr. Interception King emails, and the golden handcuffs.  Why didn't he conduct himself better?

People forget that Nutt's biggest downfall wasn't wins and losses but all the garbage that occurred off the field.

I haven't forgotten anything. Nutt made some serious mistakes back then, that's why I don't want him back as head coach. He'd still make a far better AD than Jeff long. Say what you want but the fact that he turned down a scholarship offer from Bear Bryant because he wanted to be a Hog speaks volumes. Your hate for the man is blinding you.

By the way, he wasn't the only one on the coaching staff that year with blood on his hands. Gus Malzahn was just as guilty of wrongdoing.

Switchback

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on September 15, 2017, 03:34:14 pm
Could we hire him- not as coach god no- but just to be a lunatic that runs the sidelines carrying a flag, leads the band occasionally, flirts with the cheerleaders on the field, magic tricks, occasional pre game pep talks, sentimental stories about his days with paw paw, etc. He could also join the coaches during post game or call in shows to add background noise and sound effects (i.e., commentary). Kind of like a mascot minus the foam suit.

In other words just hire him for what he was good at. He might just take it. Could work wonders for the flat problem.

Pure gold!