Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bama Football Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, February 05, 2016, 07:33:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Four-Star EDGE Zion Grady decommits from Alabama

by:
Hayes Fawcett

QuoteFour-star EDGE Zion Grady of Troy (AL) Charles Henderson announced his decommitment from Alabama Wednesday morning.

The 6-foot-4, 230 pounder had been committed to the Crimson Tide since November.

Class o' '25
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Washington transfer OL Parker Brailsford to visit Alabama

by:
Wade Peery

QuoteWhen former Washington head coach Kalen DeBoer signed on to be the successor to Nick Saban at Alabama, many assumed that plenty of Washington Husky players would follow him to Tuscaloosa. He might have one of his offensive linemen follow him soon. On Wednesday evening, Washington transfer offensive lineman Parker Brailsford set an official visit with the Tide this weekend, as BamaOnline reported on their premium message board. He was named All-Pac-12 as a redshirt freshman this season.

Inside Kalen DeBoer's resume, tall task he's facing as he replaces Nick Saban at Alabama

jbcarol

Wes Rucker
@wesrucker247

Alabama will always be a contender when it's run properly, but things are gonna be different without the best coach in college football history running the show.

Not sure why some seem surprised by this. This is how most have to live.

One does not simply replace the GOAT.
7:55 PM · Jan 17, 2024

jbcarol

As Alabama fights transfer portal battles

Saban cares

By Matt Stahl

QuoteSaban is staying involved with Alabama football. After retiring, the now-former Crimson Tide head coach mentioned he was getting an office inside Bryant-Denny and would remain around.

When Kalen DeBoer was hired as his replacement, he said Saban would have "100% access" to his old program. When Greg Byrne spoke on Finebaum, he confirmed that Saban was already at work in his new role.

Saban's departure opened up a 30-day window for Alabama players to enter the transfer portal. The Tide has seen some notable departures so far, with offensive tackle Kadyn Proctor and safety Caleb Downs moving in that direction on Wednesday.

Saban has been helping stay in contact with some of the roster.

The first game of DeBoer's tenure as head coach is scheduled for Aug. 31 at Bryant-Denny Stadium against Western.

jbcarol

Bama cornerback Jameer Grimsley enters NCAA Transfer Portal

On3 imageby:Alex Weber

One Alabama player has ended his career with the Crimson Tide before it ever began. Cornerback Jameer Grimsley, a 2024 signee and early enrollee, already entered the transfer portal, On3 has learned.

jbcarol

Washington quarterback transfer Austin Mack commits to Alabama

by:
Griffin McVeigh

QuoteFormer Washington quarterback Austin Mack has committed to Alabama, he told On3's Hayes Fawcett. Mack is officially to first addition to the roster for newly-hired head coach Kalen DeBoer in Tuscaloosa, following the Huskies offensive staff from Seattle.

With Michael Penix Jr. running the show for Washington last season, Mack took a redshirt season.

Has 4 to play 4.

jbcarol

Alabama QB Julian Sayin plans to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal

by:
Sam Gillenwater

QuoteAlabama quarterback Julian Sayin is planning on entering the transfer portal after just enrolling earlier this month.

Sayin signed with Alabama back on December 20th and then began participating during bowl practices. He was the crown jewel of the Crimson Tide's upcoming recruiting class

Sayin is the latest transfer loss for the Crimson Tide in the aftermath of the coaching change in Tuscaloosa. Their total number of portal entries this cycle, on top of their additional 30-day window, is pushing closer to 30 with this update regarding Sayin. The team has already lost some top talent such as S Caleb Downs and OT Kadyn Proctor among several others. It now appears they're losing their next class' prospects as well with Sayin joining CB Jameer Grimsley as signees that have hit the portal.

To this point, Alabama only has four portal additions.

jbcarol

Brock Huard offers scouting report on new Alabama QB commit Austin Mack
Keith Farner | 16 minutes ago

QuoteHuard, the former Washington QB, made an appearance on "The Next Round" and shared that Austin Mack, the new Alabama QB commit from Washington is about as "big a quarterback as I've ever come across. Certainly at his age and stage, I don't think people understand."

Huard noted that Mack is at least 6-foot-6 and more than 240 pounds, with size 17 feet.

"I think behind the scenes people also don't realize that Dylan Morris had a bit of an injury and Austin took second-team reps for the majority of the second half of the season, and if something happened significantly to Michael Penix, a 17-year-old was going to be the quarterback for this undefeated team," Huard said.

Julian Sayin understands

Jus' Sayin'

jbcarol

Washington offensive line transfer Parker Brailsford commits to Alabama

by:
Thomas Goldkamp

QuoteWashington offensive lineman Parker Brailsford has committed to Alabama out of the NCAA transfer portal.

Brailsford was a 2023 second-team All-Pac-12 selection this fall after putting together a tremendous season. It was his first year seeing major action along the offensive line.

In addition to being named All-Pac-12, Brailsford was named a first-team Freshman All-American by the FWAA, AFCA, PFF, College Football News and College Football Network. He started all 15 games for the Huskies.

Has 3 to play 3.

jbcarol

Recently Former Alabama LT Kadyn Proctor explains Iowa transfer: 'They hit me up'

By Matt Stahl |

QuoteFormer Alabama offensive tackle Kadyn Proctor announced he's heading to Iowa out of the transfer portal on Saturday. That same day, he made a public appearance at the Hawkeye basketball game in Iowa City.

While there, he was interviewed by WQAD, a local TV station. He explained his decision to transfer to Iowa, where he had been committed as a member of the class of 2023 before a last-minute flip to Alabama.

"No bridges were burned," Proctor said in the interview. "That's why it was so easy for me to pick them when I did enter the transfer portal, because we still have those relationships. Even after I was doing bad in the SEC and struggling, they hit me up and said 'We're proud of you, you're gonna get through this.' And that's what ultimately helped me with my decision."

He was part of a transfer portal exodus brought on when Saban retired, which gave UA players a 30-day window to enter the portal. He was one of two freshman starters to leave, with safety Caleb Downs heading to Ohio State.

Proctor acknowledged Iowa fans anger toward him after his initial flip to Alabama, but said he felt happiness after his announcement.

"It feels good," Proctor said. "As soon as I came in here, everybody cheering me on, happy for me. I know, yeah, I did leave and it hurt people's hearts, that kind of equated into them showing hatred, but like I said, that's what every fan base does."

jbcarol

Washington wide receiver transfer Germie Bernard expected to commit to Alabama

by:
Thomas Goldkamp

QuoteWashington wide receiver Germie Bernard is expected to commit to Alabama out of the NCAA transfer portal, he tells ESPN.

He's the latest Washington player to jump ship to Alabama, where head coach Kalen DeBoer will be coaching going forward. DeBoer left Washington and took the Alabama job after Nick Saban retired.

Bernard will offer the Crimson Tide a relatively young receiver with a lot of upside.

In two seasons in college, Bernard recorded 41 catches for 547 yards and four touchdowns. He also ran for two scores. Bernard also served as a key return man on special teams for the Huskies

Prior to enrolling at Washington, Bernard spent his first season at Michigan State in 2022.

Crimson Tide have had a number of players transfer out from the program since Saban retired.

But DeBoer isn't overly worried about the roster turnover, discussing it Friday evening on The Paul Finebaum Show.

jbcarol

Joe Namath finally shares reason he chose Alabama over others

By Mark Heim |

Quote"I was semi-shocked even getting there, first of all," Namath told a gathered audience. "Folks, when I got home from school, there was a guy sitting in the living room, talking to my mother. His name was (then-Alabama assistant coach) Howard Schnellenberger, who happened to be the great football coach

He said introductions were made, and his mother went upstairs and returned with a big suitcase.

"She gave me a $5 bill and said, 'Take him,'" Namath said. "'Honey, you go into college.' Here you go in Alabama."

He said, at the time, he didn't know anything about Alabama football.

"I had watched them play Penn State in the Liberty Bowl the year before," Namath said. "And I liked Alabama because they had dark headgear. I liked their look."

One of the most celebrated Alabama quarterbacks in history picked the Tide because of the color of the headgear.

It almost didn't happen. Penn State, Ohio State, Maryland and Notre Dame were all aiming for Namath, who "fell in love with Maryland." However, he didn't make the grades for Maryland. He was skeptical about Notre Dame because he didn't see any girls...

Schnellenberger verified this story in a video clip on the History of Football in the South docuseries that airs on the SEC Network.

jbcarol

Ryan Williams is back in the fold at Alabama

Andrew Olson |

Quote5-star wide receiver decommitted from Alabama after Nick Saban's retirement, but he has now announced that he plans to play for new head coach Kalen DeBoer. Williams shared the big news

Ain't Really Leave But I'm Back 🥰!! #RollTide🐘

Saraland (Alabama) High School standout, Williams is listed as measuring over 6-feet and 165 pounds.

A big recruiting win for DeBoer
Williams' recruitment had numerous developments. He had been a Class of 2025 prospect until reclassifying in December.

Though he reclassified for 2024, Williams did not sign during December's Early Signing Period. He was an unsigned verbal pledge at the time of Saban's retirement.

jbcarol

Alabama football expected to hire Jatavis Sanders as Director of Recruiting Strategy, per report

by:
Wade Peery

QuoteAlabama Crimson Tide and their new head football coach, Kalen DeBoer, have been busy assembling a new coaching staff in the past few weeks. On Sunday evening, Matt Zenitz reported that the Tide are expected to hire Jatavis Sanders as their new Director of Recruiting Strategy. Sanders currently works with the N.C. State Wolfpack. He's been a key player behind the scenes for NCSU and has helped them reel in their second-highest ranked recruiting class

Alabama is busy getting used to life after Nick Saban

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

O'Gara: Julio Jones? Amari Cooper? Calvin Ridley? Nah, keep Year 1 expectations in check for Ryan Williams

QuoteThe second that Ryan Williams announced that he was all in with Kalen DeBoer at Alabama, dots were connected.

To be fair, it's natural to let expectations run wild when a 5-star receiver commits anywhere. But at Alabama, where Williams signed on Wednesday as the program's top-rated receiver since Julio Jones in 2008, those dots were connected in an extreme way.

Mind you, this is the place that has since signed blue-chip receivers like Amari Cooper, Jerry Jeudy, Calvin Ridley, Henry Ruggs, DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle, to name a few. Take recruiting rankings for what they are. Agiye Hall signed as a higher-rated recruit than Cooper and [you] know how that turned out. Hall's peak at Alabama was the lone spring game he was there for while Cooper broke Alabama's all-time receiving touchdowns record as a true freshman.

Cooper, Ridley and Jones all had something that Williams also figures to have from the jump —

jbcarol

Ramsay LB Quinton 'QB' Reese signs with Alabama

By Evan Dudley

QuoteQB Reese is officially a part of the Alabama football program and did not let it go unnoticed with a loud and boisterous "Roll Tide" as he lay pen to parchment.

3-star linebacker signed with the Crimson Tide on Wednesday morning in a ceremony at Birmingham's Ramsay.

"I wanted to enjoy the process and definitely wanted to sign at the same time with my teammates," Reese said. "Those guys are my family and I wouldn't be where I'm at without them."

Even with the sudden retirement of former Alabama coach Nick Saban, Reese kept a solid pledge to the Crimson Tide and shut down his recruitment after meeting with new Alabama coach Kalen DeBoer on an official visit to Alabama.

jbcarol

Alabama lands commitment from Michigan transfer Keon Sabb
by:
Pete Nakos

QuoteMichigan transfer defensive back Keon Sabb has committed to Alabama, he announced Monday night.

The Crimson Tide-driven NIL collective Yea Alabama initially reported he had enrolled at Alabama. He later made his announcement:

The former top-100 prospect and four-star recruit in the 2022 class opted to enter the portal after Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh left Ann Arbor for a shot at winning the Lombardi Trophy...

jbcarol

Washington transfer tight end Josh Cuevas commits to Alabama
by:
Griffin McVeigh

QuoteFormer Huskies tight end Josh Cuevas has committed to Alabama, he announced via X on Monday. A nice get for the Crimson Tide at a position of need.

Cuevas officially entered the NCAA transfer portal on Feb. 5, spending two weeks looking for a place to continue his college football career. Alabama will be his third stop after going to Cal Poly.

jbcarol

DL Antonio Coleman flips to Alabama

by:
Hayes Fawcett

QuoteFour-star defensive lineman Antonio Coleman of Saraland (AL) High flipped his commitment from Auburn to Alabama Saturday afternoon.

BREAKING: Four-Star DL Antonio Coleman tells me he has Flipped from Auburn to Alabama!

The 6'2 280 DL from Saraland, AL was the highest-ranked recruit in Auburn's '25 Class

"I feel like Roach is solid & like their program can develop me more."

jbcarol

TheTM Ohio State trending for elite WR Jaime Ffrench
=
by:
Collin Ginnan

QuoteBrian Hartline is on the verge of landing another elite wideout, as there is a new leader in the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine for one of the top receivers in the 2025 class.

Ohio State is now trending to land Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin four-star wide receiver Jaime Ffrench at 57.5% in the RPM. Ohio State recruiting insider Matt Parker logged an expert prediction in favor of the Buckeyes earlier this week with a 60% confidence level.

6-foot-1, 185-pound Ffrench was a one-time Alabama commit who decommitted from the Tide days after the retirement of legendary head coach Nick Saban.

Ohio State Class Breakdown...

jbcarol

Zymear Smith commits to Alabama

by:
Hayes Fawcett

QuoteFour-star athlete Zymear Smith of Denton (MD) North Caroline announced his commitment to Alabama Saturday afternoon.

5-foot-11, 170 pounder chose the Crimson Tide over Georgia, Texas, and Tennessee.

"Health care (sic) the coaches work together well like they've been with each other for years. Half of them are new and their defensive scheme matches my play style and I feel that it would be better for my future."

His relationship with the coaching staff and their plan:

"I'm closest to coach Mo but I stay in touch with the whole staff like coach Hitch and coach Morgan. The plan is to get 1 % better everyday and lock down on that defensive side."

The Old Line State athlete joins coach Kalen DeBoer and the Crimson Tide's 2025 class. He is accompanied by four-star running back Anthony Rogers, three-star linebacker Myles Johnson, et al.

jbcarol

jbcarol

2026 IOL Zykie Helton decommits from Alabama

by:
Hunter Shelton

QuoteCarrollton (Ga.) interior offensive lineman Zykie Helton has decommitted from Alabama, he told On3's Hayes Fawcett on Saturday evening.

Helton was pledged to the Crimson Tide since July. He was the lone commit for Bama

Lats month, Helton told BamaOnLine that Alabama was him dream school —

jbcarol

Kadyn Proctor to return to Alabama this spring after transferring to Iowa earlier in the offseason

by:
Andrew Graham

QuoteStar offensive tackle Kadyn Proctor is heading back to play at Alabama, according to On3's Hayes Fawcett. Proctor played his freshman season at Alabama before transferring to Iowa in the winter.

Proctor, an Iowa native, flipped to Alabama and signed with the Crimson Tide late in the 2023 recruiting cycle. He started at left tackle as a true freshman for Alabama and projected to lock down the spot for years to come, despite growing pains.

jbcarol

Dodge County '25 athlete Darrell Johnson gave a verbal to Kalen DeBoer and Bama.

A .98 4-star and Top 3 LB, Johnson's DeBoer's sixth hard commit in a '25 class ranked 10th.

jbcarol

Four-Star LB Abduall Sanders commits to Alabama

by:
Hayes Fawcett

QuoteFour-star linebacker Abduall Sanders of Los Angeles (CA) Mater Dei announced his commitment to Alabama Thursday morning.

6-foot-1, 225 pounder chose the Crimson Tide over Ohio State and Tennessee.

"Bama just feels like home but I also believe in Coach DeBoer and his staff's vision and I'm ready to get to work."

jbcarol

Breaking down how Alabama has replaced transfer portal departures

by:
Andrew Graham

QuoteBama saw a stark exodus of talent to the transfer portal when Nick Saban retired in early January. But taking stock of the roster now, the Crimson Tide appear to have found workable replacements to fill holes that popped up.

This does not mean the new players at one-for-one or equal replacements for the departures, according to BamaOnline's Tim Watts —

"He's been a busy guy if you look at it," Watts said. "If you look at Kalen DeBoer, from the guys who left to Ryan Williams to possibly Kadyn Proctor — if you lay out the timeline, he's been an active fella. He's had a lot going on there, recruiting-wise with the prep ranks and also the portal. And also, another thing he did, he kept a lot of those other transfers like Domani Jackson. So they were able to keep some talent that could've gone back in the portal as well."

It's not a replicable scenario for most, but Alabama managed to find the perfect replacement for Proctor at left tackle: Proctor.

jbcarol

LB Luke Metz commits to Alabama: 'It's always been a dream'

by: Chad Simmons

QuoteSome of the top programs in college football offered Dacula (Ga.) Mill Creek three-star linebacker Luke Metz in 2024. One of them was Alabama, who extended an offer to the 6-foot-3, 210-pound recruit on March 4.

The Crimson Tide made Metz feel like a priority and hosted him on campus on March 21. Before leaving Tuscaloosa, Metz committed to Alabama and publicly announced his decision on Sunday.

"I've always been an Alabama fan," Metz told On3. "It's just different to play for Alabama. It's always been a dream."

Two of the Alabama coaches that Metz is closest with are head coach Kalen DeBoer and defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Kane Wommack. These connections helped the No. 51 player in Georgia choose the Crimson Tide over Ole Miss.

Metz believes he can compete early at Alabama for a starting spot

jbcarol

2025 WR Lotzeir Brooks commits to Alabama Crimson Tide

by: Collin Ginnan

QuoteMillville (N.J.) three-star wide receiver Lotzeir Brooks has committed to the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Brooks is the nation's No. 712 overall prospect, No. 122 wide receiver and No. 23 recruit from New Jersey in the 2025 cycle

Brooks visited Tuscaloosa earlier this spring.

"The visit to Alabama was cool," Brooks told BOL.

Alabama Class Breakdown
Eastman (Ga.) Dodge County four-star athlete Darrell Johnson ranks No. 35 nationally and headlines the group after committing to the Tide on March 20.

Alabama commits Selma (Ala.) Southside four-star athlete Derick Smith and Montgomery (Ala.) Carver four-star running back Anthony Rogers both rank inside the top 100.

Saraland (Ala.) four-star defensive lineman Antonio Coleman flipped from Alabama to Auburn in December before returning his allegiances to Tuscaloosa in early March. Denton (Md.) North Caroline four-star athlete Zymear Smith and Los Angeles Mater Dei four-star linebacker Abduall Sanders joined Johnson, Derick Smith and Coleman in a very busy March for Bama recruiting.

Alabama making up ground in race for Five-Star Plus+ OT David Sanders

jbcarol

Hayes Fawcett@Hayesfawcett3

BREAKING: Four-Star LB Jaedon Harmon has Committed to Alabama, he tells me for @on3recruits

The 6'1 215 LB from Rome, GA chose the Crimson Tide over Clemson, Ohio State, & Tennessee

"This is where legends are made Roll Tide!🐘"

https://on3.com/db/jaedon-harmon-155164

jbcarol

Hayes Fawcett@Hayesfawcett3

Now that Kadyn Proctor has officially entered the Transfer Portal, he tells @on3sports he will enroll at Alabama this summer

Proctor was the No. 1 OT in the On3 Transfer Portal Rankings

The Freshman All-American is officially headed back to Alabama

https://on3.com/db/kadyn-proctor-70429

jbcarol

Kalen DeBoer talks Alabama football's transfer portal strategy

By Matt Stahl |

QuoteKalen DeBoer was asked about the relative calm portal period, during an appearance on The Next Round Live. DeBoer said it was a credit to the culture surrounding the Tide.

"I'm proud of our staff for developing some relationships," DeBoer said. "I'm proud of how they've really helped show guys their role on the team and helped the buy-in to those roles happen. You know, there's almost 130 guys on our team and we're meeting with them individually, one-on-one, every single one of them, and those are really important meetings that are happening right now."

Saban's departure opened a 30-day window for Alabama players to enter the portal, and the team suffered some significant losses then.

This time around, it's been much calmer. DeBoer noted that the portal remains open through April 30, but said Alabama is in a good position.

DeBoer said the Tide will stay on the lookout for offensive linemen and defensive backs.

"We have a few scholarships open yet so you're just looking for the right guys, the right fit," DeBoer said. "I want to be really sensitive to the culture of our team and you don't want to bring one in and lose two or three because of how that comes across and how it's perceived. But if it's someone who can really help our program, you've always, you know, got your eyes open and paying attention."

jbcarol

Georgia 4-star LB commit Jadon Perlotte locks in Alabama official visit

by: Collin Ginnan

QuoteBuford (Ga.) four-star linebacker Jadon Perlotte committed to Georgia well over a year ago, but has known for months that he will continue to take visits to schools still recruiting him.

One such school is Alabama.

Perlotte will take an official visit to Tuscaloosa on June 14. He will also officially visit Miami.

6-foot-3, 200-pound Perlotte was reoffered by the Tide soon after Kalen DeBoer was hired.

"It means a lot to be offered by both coaching staffs. That's big," Perlotte told BOL.