Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RD- Texas recruiting

Started by JackJohnson, June 01, 2015, 03:08:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JackJohnson

We are obviously putting a huge emphasis here with 2 full time coaches in Jennings and Singleton as well as having Hargreaves and Pittman spending a big portion of their time there as well.  More often then not your updates include multiple entries about Texas kids.  So I have a couple of questions

1- do you think we will see a return on the investment here in relation to the amount of effort we are putting in?

2- If not, then do you think we will rethink these efforts a bit and put more time and resources into places we have gotten a lot more bang for our buck as we have signed more players from both S. FL and La with far fewer resources the past few years (had basically just been Shannon in S. Fl and Smith in La) then what we have done in Tex. 

The top Texas kids just seem to have more of a pecking order when choosing schools.  Kids seem to want to "stay home" more and of course there are so many closer driving options in the DFW metroplex we seem to be spinning our wheels more often then not.  With Baylor and TCU now at basically an all time high, OU, Tex and A&M always are going to be getting their share, and of course you have the Bama's and LSU's of the world that get to cherry pick as well it seems like right now hitting texas with the most resources might no be in our best interest. 

Let me also add this- I LOVE recruiting down in the Houston area.  The players there seem to be more like the La kids and S Fl kids in that they are "tougher", have higher ceilings as they are more raw from not having maxed out from basically being on a college weight program since Jr High, and almost as importantly they seem more willing to leave.  Knile, Taiwon Johnson, and then the recent signings of Dalton and Sykes are all kids that I don't think we would have gotten if they were in DFW.  IF we are to put more emphasis in Tex recruiting, I would spend more time in Houston- which we obviously are with Jennings and Hargreaves.  I think recruiting in Houston would definitely pay more dividends then DFW

Wildhog

Fantastic post.  Would love to hear RD's take.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogWall Jackson

Houston has about 5 Major School Districts around it with so many good High School Programs. There are Recruiters in here from everywhere every year. The kids here are open to listen to schools like Arkansas, OU and LSU. A&M has surpassed Texas as the States most popular program since joining the SEC. The SEC Game of the Week dominates ratings in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio.

What is that Longhorn Network thing anyway?

Hog10S

Another issue is that the State of Texas has made it all but impossible for any Texas resident not ranked in the top 8% in their high school class to be accepted to the school, so they are huge favorites among all the kids in the state, to prove you can get into the school.  This has carried over some into the athletes.  With such demand to get in, they like to go there as well, thereby obtaining more envy from their peers.

The fact that Texas is a historical big name, and A&M is now in the SEC and has been given all kinds of publicity over the past 3 years (even though they have never finished above mid-tier in the SEC West yet), doesn't hurt either.

Huds_HawgTide

Think u need to recheck where knile came from...maybe im way off but thought he was frim close to oklahoma and kansas
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Huds_HawgTide

And scracth that got missouri city confused with wichata falls
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Cardinal Browne

Missouri City is a suburb of Houston ... which is where Knile Davis played high school football. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

The Recruiting Guy

DFW is about 4.5 hours from Fayetteville. You have to make inroads there and in eastern Texas. I think they'll do well this year and continue to do so as the program starts winning more. There's a reason why Arkansas wants to play A&M in Arlington every year.

Under Bielema, Arkansas has shown they can beat out major schools in other states for talent. I feel very confident that's going to happen in Texas this year.

Distance is a major factor for the majority of kids. You can't give up on DFW.

redeye

Quote from: Richard Davenport on June 01, 2015, 10:59:30 pm
Under Bielema, Arkansas has shown they can beat out major schools in other states for talent. I feel very confident that's going to happen in Texas this year.

Distance is a major factor for the majority of kids. You can't give up on DFW.

We've beat out other programs in Texas in the past.  We're not a big player in Texas, yet, but we are competing there.  We get a great player from Florida and some seem to think we're dominating there, but when we do the same in Texas, they think we're struggling.

Regardless of all that, Richard's last paragraph is all that matters.  Hopefully our rivalry with Missouri will allow us to have better success in Kansas City and St. Louis for the same reason.

Thanks Richard.  If anyone would know, it's you.

jackflash

For me I think Jennings and Singleton are the reason a lot more Texas kids are looking our way. Just don't think any coach can recruit Texas. Saying that I think Pittman can recruit anywhere.

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: jackflash on June 02, 2015, 11:15:06 am
For me I think Jennings and Singleton are the reason a lot more Texas kids are looking our way. Just don't think any coach can recruit Texas. Saying that I think Pittman can recruit anywhere.

Jennings is well known in Dallas- Ft. Worth and in Houston. He is no secret to kids that play in the Secondary. The Texas Bowl helped us around Houston last year. Coach Singleton has Louisiana Family roots and is a class act well liked by most coaches and players where he visits. He will rake in his share of great backs to Arkansas. Devin White would be a nice start!

TeedupHigh

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on June 01, 2015, 07:05:58 pm
Think u need to recheck where knile came from...maybe im way off but thought he was frim close to oklahoma and kansas

Houston Metro! 

nwahogfan1

Good post Jack.  I think it might take more than one or two years for us to make a big impact on Texas recruiting when it comes to the signing the 4/5 stars.

But I think we need to be in Texas and trying to sign 5-10 studs a year.  Louisiana needs to be our 2nd out of state recruiting hot bed then South Florida trying to sign 3-5 from each.  Just my thoughts.

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on June 03, 2015, 09:19:00 am
Good post Jack.  I think it might take more than one or two years for us to make a big impact on Texas recruiting when it comes to the signing the 4/5 stars.

But I think we need to be in Texas and trying to sign 5-10 studs a year.  Louisiana needs to be our 2nd out of state recruiting hot bed then South Florida trying to sign 3-5 from each.  Just my thoughts.

Singleton and Jennings are both accomplished communicators and coaches as is Sam Pittman.

Wildhog

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on June 03, 2015, 11:57:40 am
Singleton and Jennings are both accomplished communicators and coaches as is Sam Pittman.

Good, so we should expect fantastic results out of Texas with all the resources we're pouring in there.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Darren DeLoach

It's been pretty plain from press conferences and interviews that for whatever er reason, Florida has been placed to the back burner. CBB stated something to the affect that he would evaluate players from Florida, personally. He was burnt a few times by talented players that passed the vetting system, but have proven to be more difficult to keep in the fold. Coupled with the proximity of talent in Texas and Louisiana and even Missouri, he sees the benefits of recruiting closer to home verses Florida. No doubt Florida will always be somewhere he recruits, but on the surface it looks like for now, CBB is not taking any chances from there. If we take them, they will be fine athletes, students, and people.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

oldfart

June 07, 2015, 10:33:47 am #16 Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:43:09 am by oldfart
no question florida is a good area to recruit but seems like dallas area should be a priority as well. the proximity to campus should help a lot. we have a good history from the dallas and east texas area

there a number of students from texas enrolled here as well. that cant hurt in recruiting texas players

jackflash

I don't know that Florida has been put on the back burner. Thing they will be smarter on who they take.