Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FB program in 5 years

Started by Headhog32, August 18, 2017, 05:25:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 20, 2017, 10:31:11 am
Where does that put us in the SEC? That's what matters.

It will always put us between 8 and 12 in the sec. and 5th to 6th in the west. It will never change unless Arkansas moves further south or the population of Arkansas triples.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

factchecker

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 20, 2017, 10:31:11 am
Where does that put us in the SEC? That's what matters.

No doubt.  Recruiting got much tougher when AnM joined the SEC.  Then you add the fact that Ole Miss was getting the best players they could buy - which didn't help them against the Hogs - makes recruiting in the SEC tougher.

Consider this - our lowest rated class (recently) was in 2010.  We were ranked #41 in the nation.  BAD.  We finished 10th in the SEC.  However, that was 10/12 teams back then.  Also, in 2008 we finished #25 in the nation but 6th in the SEC.  That is an attribute to how god awful the depth of the SEC was back then.  Especially when you consider the fact that our #23 class in 2013 was ranked 9th in the SEC.  Recruiting is tougher.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Al Boarland

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 20, 2017, 10:34:44 am
It will always put us between 8 and 12 in the sec. and 5th to 6th in the west. It will never change unless Arkansas moves further south or the population of Arkansas triples.

So, what are people talking about when they say CBB is recruiting better? He's having less attrition. I'll give him that.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 20, 2017, 05:28:59 pm
So, what are people talking about when they say CBB is recruiting better? He's having less attrition. I'll give him that.

Pretty much talking him up.  Recruiting isn't much better than what we have done since joining the sec and it will never be better than 4 teams in our own division.  Only way recruiting is getting much better other than reeling off 5 NC in 10 years is moving the university to a southern state or the state of Arkansas triples in population. 

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 20, 2017, 10:34:44 am
yeah, OU and OSU has the same basic area, except the cities in which OU and OSU reside are cess pools compared to Fayetteville yet they out recruit us every year...explain your geography theory now...don't want to hear about the Big 12 nor do I want to hear about their 'big money' donors because we have our own money...so don't use money or conference to explain
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HiggiePiggy

Oklahoma out recruits us because of tradition and the fact that bob stoops had only 4 seasons where he was less than 10 wins in a year since 1999. 

Oklahoma state doesn't out recruit us and they are better because of a weaker conference and better coach. 

In their conference Oklahoma ranks first or second with Texas.

Oklahoma state ranks most years in the top 5 of their conference.   

Oklahoma and Oklahoma state are in a conference that is pretty much circled around them and not having to fight the entire south for their recruiting. 

Arkansas sits high up north and has to fight all southern schools for the best talent. We are ranked higher because we are in the SEC conference, but that doesn't help any because the west division alone with LSU, Alabama, Auburn, and Texas A&M all being schools in the southern states are able to offer more to kids that are a lot closer to home.

Oh yeah and Oklahoma has almost a million more people in it's state. 

hog.goblin

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 18, 2017, 05:25:43 pm
where do y'all see our program in 5 years from now. SEC championship? CFB playoffs? Nat. championship? 5-7 season? or mediocer 9-3 team?.. just something to think about.

If 9 - 3 is mediocre then I guess I'll take mediocrity, especially for a program winning 7.X games a year.

5 years from now I think we will be a team winning 8/9 games a year, with occasional 10 and 7 win seasons.  Would like to see us avoid the 7-win seasons, but I don't that will happen.

Hoggish1

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 18, 2017, 06:20:17 pm
Question isn't what I would like. It's where do you see it at in 5 years. 

If we have the year I think we will have in 2017, look for this thing to really take off!

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

MJ2

New coach, new scheme, 9-3 season.   This will be for 2021-22 season.  (Nick will be gone at AL and Dabo will be there then.)

DLUXHOG

Undefeated season, or two....  back to back national championships....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DLUXHOG

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 21, 2017, 08:13:31 pm
Oklahoma out recruits us because of tradition and the fact that bob stoops had only 4 seasons where he was less than 10 wins in a year since 1999. 

Oklahoma state doesn't out recruit us and they are better because of a weaker conference and better coach. 

In their conference Oklahoma ranks first or second with Texas.

Oklahoma state ranks most years in the top 5 of their conference.   

Oklahoma and Oklahoma state are in a conference that is pretty much circled around them and not having to fight the entire south for their recruiting. 

Arkansas sits high up north and has to fight all southern schools for the best talent. We are ranked higher because we are in the SEC conference, but that doesn't help any because the west division alone with LSU, Alabama, Auburn, and Texas A&M all being schools in the southern states are able to offer more to kids that are a lot closer to home.

Oh yeah and Oklahoma has almost a million more people in it's state. 

and, the DFW MSA has 3.5 million more people than the entire state of Oklahoma and the Hogs have always been pretty salty recruiting there...   your point?

jgphillips3

I have been disappointed in CBB's coaching ability, but he has improved recruiting rankings in a way that don't show in the raw numbers.  The thing he is doing better than HDN and CBP is that his higher ranked recruits are actually still on the team.  We had a lot flame out under previous coaches or never make it.  However, he can't seem to get them up like HDN to pull a shocker or beat them into a well oiled machine like Petrino.  This is the year it either starts to take form or, barring a huge run next year, in five years (per the OP), we will be in year 2 or 3 of a new coach.  Hopefully for all of us, it comes together and we start winning.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: MJ2 on August 22, 2017, 04:27:27 pm
New coach, new scheme, 9-3 season.   This will be for 2021-22 season.  (Nick will be gone at AL and Dabo will be there then.)

Dabo isn't going to go to Alabama after Saban.  He would be stupid to do that and possibly having a short career at Alabama if he did do that. He needs to let someone else replace Saban because that person can win 10 and 11 games a year for 4 or 5 years and be fired if they don't get into the playoff and win a NC game. 

HotlantaHog

No real clue. What are the odds CBB will be here in five years? If he is you would know what type of team he is trying to build .... I'd say it's a coin flip whether he is or not ... If he's not, it's impossible to say...

DLUXHOG

Quote from: HotlantaHog on August 23, 2017, 01:56:53 pm
No real clue. What are the odds CBB will be here in five years? If he is you would know what type of team he is trying to build .... I'd say it's a coin flip whether he is or not ... If he's not, it's impossible to say...

CBB is the best coach since Broyles and Holtz.....   you'll soon see.... and agree...

DeltaBoy

I expect we will be better with stability!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.