Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oct. 3rd, 2015 Tennessee football game travel advice wanted

Started by john, May 23, 2015, 01:21:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

john

I'm considering making the trip to Knoxville this fall for the game & was hoping for some experienced TN Travellers suggestions.

Does the UofA usually sell all of their tix to this game?  I'm a tush hog but think I'm gonna need 6 tix, I'm not sure if I'll b able to get that many through the UofA ticket office no higher in donor class that I am.  Definitely want to sit with other razorback fans.

Also, are there any other must-do or see things in Knoxville or can't miss places to eat?

Thanks for any suggestions

JansterZ71

It's a great place to experience a game.  UT has lots of Tradition.  Definitely don't miss the VOL walk and make sure you check out the VOL Navy.  Enjoy your time there. Also be prepared to walk ALOT.  Their campus is huge and unless you have some top notch parking pass you will be walking across their hilly campus. 
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

Arazorbackguy1

I'm going as well. Should be a cool experience. Looking forward to pissed off UT fans after the game, too!
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Hoggish1

I'll be there, too.  Our team will piss their fans off for me.

knoxvillehog

Game day here in Knoxville is a great atmosphere. Parking is tough and you will walk a bit, but you will have a great time.

As far as restaurants, if you are staying downtown there are some good restaurants in Marketsquare, but they can get busy. Calhoun's on the river is a local BBQ place that has some good food.

Ye Old Steakhouse is a local establishment near downtown that has a good atmosphere and good food.

PM me if you have any specific questions. Go Hogs!

jbcarol

Quote from: UTLawGuy on April 21, 2015, 12:56:53 pm
Barbeque - Sweet P's http://www.sweetpbbq.com/

Pizza - Barley's http://barleysknoxville.com/

A little bit of everything for everyone (including good self-brewed beers) - Calhoun's on the River (Sweet P's has the best BBQ, but they have the best ribs) http://www.calhouns.com/ or The Downtown Grill & Brewery http://www.downtownbrewery.com/

Burger - This one is tough, because I don't feel like we have an amazing burger place. But I would have to go with Copper Cellar on Cumberland http://www.coppercellar.com/Restaurant-CopperCellar.html . Copper Cellar also has a little bit of everything like Calhoun's and Downtown Grill & Brewery.

Upscale Southern Cooking - Tupelo Honey http://tupelohoneycafe.com/location/knoxville/

You name what you're looking for, I'll recommend the place.

Also, I think it'll be a good game. Both teams are similarly up-trending. I expect the game to be close either way, and as long as it is a close, I don't think the out come will set a precedent for either team's season. I'm looking forward to this game more than anything. Hope I get to go.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on April 26, 2015, 06:32:59 pm
Bruce Feldman @BruceFeldmanCFB  ·  Apr 24
Thx to the person who suggested I go to Stock & Barrel (@KnoxStockBarrel) while in Knoxville.. Might've been the best burger I've ever had.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

TNhawgfan

If you guys are worried about walking, park at the civic collesium and ride the tram to the game. Cost about ten bucks and they drop you off at the stadium
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

knoxvillehog

Quote from: jbcarol on May 24, 2015, 07:37:11 am

Sweet P's is excellent, a little off the beaten path so I forgot about to. Litton's is great as well.

WayneHawg

Hogs-n-Roses

Gone to quite a few there. Walked a lot several times but the locals and tailgaiters always made it enjoyable. Have been asked to eat numerous times and sample their favorites many times. Last couple of times I stayed at a motel west of town(nice) and it offered free busride to the stadium. Dropped us off short distance from our gate and of course delivered us back in comfort. Was surprised at how well it worked for our family. We had a very young one and a person who doesn't get around well so the game was out for them so they kept the car and went to the zoo which was awesome cause it was free zoo day. On the food I never get my way so there s that.  ;)

duckman

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on May 24, 2015, 07:41:18 pm
Gone to quite a few there. Walked a lot several times but the locals and tailgaiters always made it enjoyable. Have been asked to eat numerous times and sample their favorites many times. Last couple of times I stayed at a motel west of town(nice) and it offered free busride to the stadium. Dropped us off short distance from our gate and of course delivered us back in comfort. Was surprised at how well it worked for our family. We had a very young one and a person who doesn't get around well so the game was out for them so they kept the car and went to the zoo which was awesome cause it was free zoo day. On the food I never get my way so there s that.  ;)

We are going, what was the name of the hotel?

john

Thanks for all the feedback guys, i appreciate all the suggestions, & hope I'm able to go & see for myself

Go Hogs!

Huds_HawgTide

What if you want to tailgate with other hog fans, a good place for that? Me and my buddies are going to Atlanta to watch cards vs braves friday night behind home plate...drive to knoxville watch hogs then drive back to Atlanta to watch sunday game...ultimate hog cardinal weekend with the boys
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

UTLawGuy

Quote from: knoxvillehog on May 24, 2015, 08:58:02 am
Sweet P's is excellent, a little off the beaten path so I forgot about to. Litton's is great as well.

They've put in the new Sweet P's in on W. Jackson near the the old city. So anyone within the Downtown area can check it out. Same good food as the one on Maryville Pike. Be forewarned, it will probably be packed. Limited seating at the new location.

P.S., I'm having a devil of a time posting! I can spell green, but lot's of Googling with the Hog knowledge.

UTLawGuy

And in regards to a burger place, I've found my favorite. The Stock and Barrel on Market Square has amazing burgers. I like it better than Copper Cellar. They also take great pride in their selection of bourbons. http://www.thestockandbarrel.com/

Basically anything on market square is going to be delicious. Soccer Taco is great Mexican food too btw.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: duckman on May 24, 2015, 09:46:25 pm
We are going, what was the name of the hotel?
I can't remember but it was a nice 4* gotten of a site like hotwire or priceline. It was along the lines of Hyat,Westin,Hampton inn and suites. It was new and I believe we called Knoxville tourist center or something of that nature to find one wit the Bus to the game. Actually you didn't even have to stay at that motel to do it. I t was just free if you stayed there. I think it was like 10.00 bucks a head to just show up there at the motel and ride. Was a great deal either way.And of course on game day I eat outside the stadium at this Hot dog vendor. This dude has the best chili sauce on the planet. Great Hot dog.Get the dog anyway you want it . Either way. Wit chili n slaw... or the sour kraut spicy mustard route.I recommend either or in my case both. They were stupid low priced too. Like 6.50 for the both of them n then you have to find a place to eat em. Pick ur meat too. Several types of sausages or a traditional weiner.

Tequilin' Time

this seems to be the road game of choice.  planning on this one for me and my buddies that are spread around the country.   Never been to the worlds largest deer stand and looking forward to it.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Hoggin in NYC on May 25, 2015, 05:24:13 pm
this seems to be the road game of choice.  planning on this one for me and my buddies that are spread around the country.   Never been to the worlds largest deer stand and looking forward to it.
Its a different type of stadium. All bowl. Where our stadium in the nam has stands built above each side. Neyland would be like Warmemorial with full rings built all the way around it.
We always went without tickets and got the cheapest ones we could find outside the stadium then go to the hog section on the east side down low near the endzone. That's where the season ticket holder high roller hog fans sit. Tennessee is notorious for dispersing opposing fans all over the stadium in small groups. They do one real neat thing though when their band lines up out there in front of you and plays your fight song.You will hate ole smokey n rocky top before you leave though.

opineonswine

One of the nicest places in the U.S. to stay is near Knoxville.  Blackberry Farm is in Walland, TN.  I HIGHLY recommend it if you don't mind spending some $$$.
Just a short drive to Knoxville.

http://www.blackberryfarm.com

Hog Spread

I was there in 1998.  It was cold and rainy and the fans were not that sweet.  For so many reasons, I vowed to never return...

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: john on May 23, 2015, 01:21:52 am
I'm considering making the trip to Knoxville this fall for the game & was hoping for some experienced TN Travellers suggestions.

Does the UofA usually sell all of their tix to this game?  I'm a tush hog but think I'm gonna need 6 tix, I'm not sure if I'll b able to get that many through the UofA ticket office no higher in donor class that I am.  Definitely want to sit with other razorback fans.

Also, are there any other must-do or see things in Knoxville or can't miss places to eat?

Thanks for any suggestions

The last time I went, I stayed in a condo in Gatlinburg and drove in for the day of the game.  Gatlinburg isn't very far away from Knoxville--maybe an hour, maybe.  Beautiful area, had a great time.  Plan to make at least a long weekend out of it.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Chris Ryan

Whatever you do, don't park in the Fort (neighborhood area where all the off-campus students live). Fork out the cash to park along Cumberland Ave (the strip), or park far away and take a shuttle. Getting out of the Fort is a nightmarish exercise in patience.

Dirttrackhog

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on May 25, 2015, 05:57:02 pm
Its a different type of stadium. All bowl. Where our stadium in the nam has stands built above each side. Neyland would be like Warmemorial with full rings built all the way around it.
We always went without tickets and got the cheapest ones we could find outside the stadium then go to the hog section on the east side down low near the endzone. That's where the season ticket holder high roller hog fans sit. Tennessee is notorious for dispersing opposing fans all over the stadium in small groups. They do one real neat thing though when their band lines up out there in front of you and plays your fight song.You will hate ole smokey n rocky top before you leave though.

im hoping our team will make sure those arent played that much!  although once is enough for me on both :)

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Dirttrackhog on May 26, 2015, 10:17:36 am

im hoping our team will make sure those arent played that much!  although once is enough for me on both :)
They do another neat thing where (over the stadium pa) Ole Smokey barks and it goes round n round the stadium. Kinda like an echo in the mountains or something.