Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

College Football is Not 7 on 7

Started by FANONTHEHILL, September 09, 2012, 08:19:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FANONTHEHILL

There is a lot of anger out there about last night.  I've read on this board it's Long's fault, JLS' fault, Paul Petrino's fault, Paul Haynes' fault and so on. I watched the game, as painful as it was, I watched it again late last night.  There is simply one thing that stands out to me.

We have assembled a team of offensive skill players and very little else.  Golden arm quarterbacks, speed at running back and receiver.  This is what you need for 7 on 7 tournaments in high school.  The problem is this is supposed to be D-1 FBS football.  7 on 7 mirrors Arkansas Football.  Just throw it and hope when the scoreboard stops spinning you're on top.  This cost us last night.  We came into this season thinking we could come out flat and still win.  Look back at last year.  Flat at Ole Miss, Vandy, & A&M. Luckily we were able to overcome, but last years regular season of 10-2 could easily been 8-4 or 7-5.
Even with a 21-5 record the past two years, I would not call us a complete team.

You can put the blame on any of those mentioned above. I put the blame on
Bobby Petrino.  He built a team that only he could make work.  He made choices in his personal life that proved he only cared about himself.  Not his family, his players, or his employer.  He put us in this situation.

Finally I say this.  Come December, when this staff is gone and the new coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks is announced, he must have a better understanding if what it takes to win at this level.  A quick strike offense may get you points, but also gives you three & outs and puts the ball in your opponents hands.  A strong offensive line and a dominating defense will keep the ball away from your opponent and take it away from them. The next coach must be defensive minded with an offense that focuses on a power running game.  Win college football games, not 7 on 7 Tournaments.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015