Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown IX

Started by clutch, April 05, 2015, 01:50:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Carpenter wants everyone to know his slump is over. He's gone crazy his last 7 at bats.

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on July 31, 2015, 05:27:35 pm
Not that there's any correlation, but that's more than likely the same thing I said about the Mujica and Lackey deals.

Those worked out, hoping Broxton does too.

I feel ya. I was pissed about giving up Craig and Joe. But it worked out. Mo certainly seems to know what he's doing, but I still feel underwhelmed as I watch good teams like the Royals and Astros and Blue Jays and Nationals making legitimate moves to win the 2015 World Series.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: clutch on July 31, 2015, 08:07:33 pm
Carpenter wants everyone to know his slump is over. He's gone crazy his last 7 at bats.

What'd he do tonight? I'm not able to watch or listen.
WPS

clutch

Quote from: popcornhog on July 31, 2015, 09:06:57 pm
What'd he do tonight? I'm not able to watch or listen.

Another HR a double and an intentional walk

The double went off the top of the wall. Got reviewed because they thought it was a hr too for a minute.

clutch

Since moving back to the lead off spot last night carpenter has 2 doubles, 3 homeruns, a single, and an intentional walk. Only gotten out twice the past two games.

popcornhog

Quote from: clutch on July 31, 2015, 09:33:41 pm
Since moving back to the lead off spot last night carpenter has 2 doubles, 3 homeruns, a single, and an intentional walk. Only gotten out twice the past two games.

Got to watch the last couple of innings and replays. Carp's HR was DEEP to CF.

Yeah, he's on a nice streak right now.
WPS

pigture perfect

Even though Moss was the only position starter without a hit tonight, I'm going to give this time. Hitting is contagious and hopefully he gets the bug. He did make a good dig on a Carpenter throw early in the game. He might be an upgrade defensively.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on July 31, 2015, 09:06:25 pm
I feel ya. I was pissed about giving up Craig and Joe. But it worked out. Mo certainly seems to know what he's doing, but I still feel underwhelmed as I watch good teams like the Royals and Astros and Blue Jays and Nationals making legitimate moves to win the 2015 World Series.

I wasn't mad about the Lackey deal, I just saw it as an innings filling move. Kelly could never seem to get through the 5th inning, and Craig, well what can I say, the poor guy hasn't been right since the collision with the ump messed his foot up. I'll say this now, and everybody knows it's not something I'm fond of doing, but it sure looks like the Cardinals won that trade.

It can be frustrating to see other teams make the flashy/name moves, but the Cardinals don't have the farm system to do it. Plus it's just not their style to make the flashy deadline move. The good thing is they've rarely had to make the big move. That tells you how stable and successful this franchise has been.

Rasmus shipping out is the biggest one in recent history. I bet it was initially panned in Redbird Rundown V and look where it got the team. I know I'm a homer, but I trust the management of the Cardinals to make the best moves they can to improve the team. I also trust that they know at least a little more about baseball and baseball players than I do.

If the moves fail I'll say so, but I can't make a judgment until I have all the evidence. There's still a lot of evidence to be collected on this season and the moves that were and possibly are still to be made. When it's all in let us see where the Cardinals stand and then I'll make some judgments.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on July 31, 2015, 11:17:55 pm
I wasn't mad about the Lackey deal, I just saw it as an innings filling move. Kelly could never seem to get through the 5th inning, and Craig, well what can I say, the poor guy hasn't been right since the collision with the ump messed his foot up. I'll say this now, and everybody knows it's not something I'm fond of doing, but it sure looks like the Cardinals won that trade.

It can be frustrating to see other teams make the flashy/name moves, but the Cardinals don't have the farm system to do it. Plus it's just not their style to make the flashy deadline move. The good thing is they've rarely had to make the big move. That tells you how stable and successful this franchise has been.

Rasmus shipping out is the biggest one in recent history. I bet it was initially panned in Redbird Rundown V and look where it got the team. I know I'm a homer, but I trust the management of the Cardinals to make the best moves they can to improve the team. I also trust that they know at least a little more about baseball and baseball players than I do.

If the moves fail I'll say so, but I can't make a judgment until I have all the evidence. There's still a lot of evidence to be collected on this season and the moves that were and possibly are still to be made. When it's all in let us see where the Cardinals stand and then I'll make some judgments.

I loved shipping out Rasmus. I thought he was bad for the clubhouse. Couldn't do anything to make him happy.

pigture perfect

You know? I think I remember that about Rasmus. He wanted out I believe.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

So I took a little scroll through Redbird Rundown V and the sentiment on the Rasmus deal wasn't as bad as I expected. People were actually reasonable about it, perhaps because the team sucked at the time?

The psychology of this is interesting. Trade the future "face of the franchise" when the team sucks and the manager/player relationship is toxic and people seemed to be okay with it. There were some who thought Rasmus was worth more than what he brought in, but basically it was okay.

Trade a redundant, borderline top 100 prospect when the team is good but needs a shot of offense and Mozeliak got fleeced. Curious the way the brain works sometimes.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on August 01, 2015, 10:20:07 am
So I took a little scroll through Redbird Rundown V and the sentiment on the Rasmus deal wasn't as bad as I expected. People were actually reasonable about it, perhaps because the team sucked at the time?

The psychology of this is interesting. Trade the future "face of the franchise" when the team sucks and the manager/player relationship is toxic and people seemed to be okay with it. There were some who thought Rasmus was worth more than what he brought in, but basically it was okay.

Trade a redundant, borderline top 100 prospect when the team is good but needs a shot of offense and Mozeliak got fleeced. Curious the way the brain works sometimes.

Funny how that works. I guess part of the reason I was glad to see Rasmus go was because I never thought he was going to be a face of the franchise type player, especially considering he didn't like being part of the franchise. He was a daddy's boy and when they wouldn't let daddy come around to train him he got mad. He never really lived up to his hype.

Plus, I saw an interview earlier this year with him where he was saying he was only going to play a couple more and the retire. I think he said he was going to retire at 30 no matter what. Not really sure he likes playing baseball.

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on August 01, 2015, 10:20:07 am

I don't think anybody in this forum is fleecing Mo. Just feeling underwhelmed with the moves which seem to not fill the glaring holes.

Everything Mo's done over the past few years has seemed to work out, so we should trust him. But given where this team is this year, what its issues are, and the major injuries -- the moves just seem underwhelming right now. That's all.
WPS

pigture perfect

I definitely feel Mo missed on some opportunities. I'm just not sure he made enough (strong enough) moves to give us an advantage in the playoffs. By these move I think we are going to be struggling against the Pirates and Dodgers in October. That is my only concern.

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on August 01, 2015, 12:41:17 pm
I don't think anybody in this forum is fleecing Mo. Just feeling underwhelmed with the moves which seem to not fill the glaring holes.

Everything Mo's done over the past few years has seemed to work out, so we should trust him. But given where this team is this year, what its issues are, and the major injuries -- the moves just seem underwhelming right now. That's all.

Comments like "Mozo the clown" "I hate this deal" "This was a panic move" "This guy is worse than our weak link Bourjos" "This is a dumb move" lead me to believe that some on here think he got fleeced.

Sure there are struggles scoring runs but rarely if ever do you see a team with the type of pitching this one has that's a juggernaut on offense too. If it can squeeze out 3-4 runs there's a good chance a W will follow. What's wrong with a team that's built that way?

Kaminsky looks like a back end of the rotation guy to me when I look at his numbers. Sure, his era was good, but his K% has declined sharply since rookie ball, like nearly %10 and that's in the pitcher friendly Florida State League.

I think if Holliday was healthy Mozeliak would have stood pat. Which I would have been fine with because there is a lot more offense to be wrung from Carpenter, Wong, Grichuk, Peralta, and Piscotty before this thing is over. But if the deal made sense to Mozeliak I have to trust his opinion, he probably knows more than I do.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on August 01, 2015, 01:34:41 pm
Comments like "Mozo the clown" "I hate this deal" "This was a panic move" "This guy is worse than our weak link Bourjos" "This is a dumb move" lead me to believe that some on here think he got fleeced.

Sure there are struggles scoring runs but rarely if ever do you see a team with the type of pitching this one has that's a juggernaut on offense too. If it can squeeze out 3-4 runs there's a good chance a W will follow. What's wrong with a team that's built that way?

Kaminsky looks like a back end of the rotation guy to me when I look at his numbers. Sure, his era was good, but his K% has declined sharply since rookie ball, like nearly %10 and that's in the pitcher friendly Florida State League.

I think if Holliday was healthy Mozeliak would have stood pat. Which I would have been fine with because there is a lot more offense to be wrung from Carpenter, Wong, Grichuk, Peralta, and Piscotty before this thing is over. But if the deal made sense to Mozeliak I have to trust his opinion, he probably knows more than I do.

Not to mention this has been a streaky offensive team for years now. It's just what they do. They get really hot, and really cold. The pitching gets them through a lot of the cold streaks. It works though in the long run. They always seem to come to play in October.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on August 01, 2015, 03:13:52 pm
Not to mention this has been a streaky offensive team for years now. It's just what they do. They get really hot, and really cold. The pitching gets them through a lot of the cold streaks. It works though in the long run. They always seem to come to play in October.

Agree %100

I get frustrated with the offense when there's 9 men left on base by the sixth inning. It's frustrating when they miss opportunities.

It would be far more frustrating to me to have 5 starters that consistently could barely cover 5 innings.

What usually wins come October, big offense or great pitching?

pigture perfect

I reserve my right, to call him Mozo the Clown, if we don't make it past the first round of the playoffs. Sorry if some of you are offended by that nickname. I think it's kind of clever.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 01, 2015, 05:21:27 pm
I reserve my right, to call him Mozo the Clown, if we don't make it past the first round of the playoffs. Sorry if some of you are offended by that nickname. I think it's kind of clever.

Seriously ?  He learned well from Walt Jockety and has kept our team one of the best in baseball during his 8 years as well as one of the top farm systems year after year.

pigture perfect

Ehh, our farm system is not what it used to be and I just don't think he is as good as Walt. But Im not a disgruntled fan as it may appear. I'm just making conversation.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 01, 2015, 05:52:30 pm
Ehh, our farm system is not what it used to be and I just don't think he is as good as Walt. But Im not a disgruntled fan as it may appear. I'm just making conversation.

LOL. He was scouting director from 99 to 2007. He built the system and has kept it one of the best year in year out even as GM.  ;D

hoghappy

Lighten up a little guys. Keep it fun here please.

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on August 01, 2015, 01:34:41 pm

I guess I haven't read the Mozo the clown, etc type of comments.

Anyhow, I don't think we really disagree. My only point was to say that this is a borderline great team. We have the pieces and money to make a game changing move and could've probably gone out and added a big bat. Instead we added Moss.

I do not think that Mo is an idiot, nor do I think that the world is ending. But again, in context, the move was underwhelming to me. That's all.
WPS

popcornhog

Jaime Garcia will get his 2nd start since coming off of the DL at 1:15 as we try to win the 4 game set against the Rockies.

Fun facts:

In his last 3 starts, Jaime has gotten 0 run support. His ERA on the season is 2.00 but he still has a losing record. The run support has been bad for him all year.

Garcia's ERA against the Rockies is worse than it is against any other team in baseball. I think it's over 8.
WPS

popcornhog

We're in the top of the 8th.

Jaime went 5 1/3 and gave up no runs.

Cishek gave up two runs in the 6th.

Grichuk had a 2 run HR in the 5th.

2-2 2ith one down and nobody on top 8th.
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on August 02, 2015, 07:42:33 am
I guess I haven't read the Mozo the clown, etc type of comments.

Anyhow, I don't think we really disagree. My only point was to say that this is a borderline great team. We have the pieces and money to make a game changing move and could've probably gone out and added a big bat. Instead we added Moss.

I do not think that Mo is an idiot, nor do I think that the world is ending. But again, in context, the move was underwhelming to me. That's all.

We don't disagree, and there's nothing wrong with being underwhelmed or even thinking Mozeliak got beat. I just hate the snap judgments that people make about players they know very little or nothing about.

I honestly don't think Mozeliak had the pieces or need to make the big move.

PonderinHog

clutch

Well we can't say Moss didn't contribute this year. Welcome to the Cardinals sir.

popcornhog

Quote from: clutch on August 02, 2015, 06:28:00 pm
Well we can't say Moss didn't contribute this year. Welcome to the Cardinals sir.

Here's to improving that 2 for 11 number at the plate. Huge hit!
WPS

clutch

Quote from: popcornhog on August 02, 2015, 07:07:04 pm
Here's to improving that 2 for 11 number at the plate. Huge hit!

Speaking of numbers at the plate. Piscotty can flat out hit.

hoghappy

Yeah, Piscotty is hot. And he's a good hitter too.

bob slydell

I haven't really cared for too many of Mo's deadline moves over the past few years. But there is a reason that he is getting paid to do that job and I am not.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

popcornhog

Quote from: clutch on August 02, 2015, 10:31:44 pm
Speaking of numbers at the plate. Piscotty can flat out hit.

Obviously it's a small sample size, but his BA is the highest on the team.

His swing looks really good, too.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 03, 2015, 09:14:47 am
Now if they would just air the dang games in LR...

It's pretty absurd how games are blacked out in Arkansas.

A friend of mine in LR did finally get some sort of TV package that carries the games. Let me know if you want details and I'll ask him.
WPS

popcornhog

The birds have the day off today before a 6 day road trip against the Reds and Brewers.

They'll be back in STL for 3 series against the Pirates, Marlins, and Giants.

I'll be fortunate enough to attend at least the Sunday game against the Marlins -- maybe Friday night, too -- got a wedding to attend in STL on that Saturday.
WPS

pigture perfect

maybe they can afford to now. They are on the MLB network abit, which is pretty good.

pigture perfect

Seems like we will see a lot of the Pirates, Giants, Cubs and Reds the last 2 months of the regular season. It could be a tough stretch.

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 03, 2015, 02:16:27 pm
Seems like we will see a lot of the Pirates, Giants, Cubs and Reds the last 2 months of the regular season. It could be a tough stretch.

The Reds are playing well of late.
WPS

popcornhog

I was thinking today about what the playoff rotation would look like this year if, God willing, the post season is in the cards.

What would it look like?

1) Wacha
2) Martinez
3) Lynn
4) Lackey

If Jaime is healthy, where might he fit into things?

And the million dollar question -- what if Waino comes back in late September and is just coming off of a successful rehab assignment as the playoffs start.

All purely hypothetical, but I'd be interested to hear y'all's thoughts.
WPS

MikePiazza

Quote from: popcornhog on August 03, 2015, 02:32:29 pm
I was thinking today about what the playoff rotation would look like this year if, God willing, the post season is in the cards.

What would it look like?

1) Wacha
2) Martinez
3) Lynn
4) Lackey

And the million dollar question -- what if Waino comes back in late September and is just coming off of a successful rehab assignment as the playoffs start.

I would probably move Lackey up to 3 and Jaime into the four slot simply to have a lefty. Lynn can be used for long relief if one of the four has a poor outing.

Obviously all of that changes if Waino becomes available. Playoffs don't start until well into October, so there's a good chance he might be available, especially in relief.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

pigture perfect

I don't see Waino being ready. If he is, he has to be a starter. Working in the pen would not give him enough warm up time to get fully stretched. CMart would likely be the Long Fellow if Jaime is in the Starting 4.

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on August 03, 2015, 02:32:29 pm

What would it look like?

1) Wacha
2) Martinez
3) Lynn
4) Lackey

I can't see Wainwright pulling that off, I think he could become a huge distraction if he tries a comeback this year.

Anyway, there isn't a bad way to arrange the rotation if they can pitch in the postseason the way they have all season (so far anyway).

Martinez I'd be a little nervous about. His emotions might get wild in the playoffs. Now I'm not saying I wouldn't run him out there or anything. I just remember Ankiel's meltdown vividly.

The Boar War

On Dish it's called the premium sports package (or something along that line).  I think it's only a few bucks a month.  Not a bad deal when you watch it almost every night.  I haven't figured out why every other team in MLB is blacked out.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: The Boar War on August 03, 2015, 06:57:38 pm
On Dish it's called the premium sports package (or something along that line).  I think it's only a few bucks a month.  Not a bad deal when you watch it almost every night.  I haven't figured out why every other team in MLB is blacked out.
Not "every" team, just most.  There are regional blackout rules for MLB, that IMHO are ignorant and outdated.  If I live in Arkansas but like the Mariners, why can't I watch them? It's not like blacking me out is going to make me go to the game in person. We are in Kansas City, Saint Louis and Texas Rangers viewing area.  So we can watch those and who they are playing and "national telecasts.

clutch

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on August 03, 2015, 07:26:05 pm
Not "every" team, just most.  There are regional blackout rules for MLB, that IMHO are ignorant and outdated.  If I live in Arkansas but like the Mariners, why can't I watch them? It's not like blacking me out is going to make me go to the game in person. We are in Kansas City, Saint Louis and Texas Rangers viewing area.  So we can watch those and who they are playing and "national telecasts.

I hate the blackouts. I understand them for local areas, but I live 4 1/2 hours away from Stl. Blacking them out won't get me to every game either.

dhornjr1

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 03, 2015, 02:16:27 pm

Did one of those teams pick up Bud Norris after he was released by the Orioles? They should have. Guaranteed wins versus the Redbirds.

pigture perfect

You're right. Or maybe we should have picked him up so they wouldn't.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on August 03, 2015, 07:26:05 pm

u verse blacks out KC and at louis but gives us Astros and Rangers.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 04, 2015, 08:23:52 am
u verse blacks out KC and at louis but gives us Astros and Rangers.
In Arkansas? I don't get it automatically, like Fox Southwest which shows what you are saying here, but when I sign up for the extra sports package on Direct, I get KC and St. Louis, but I can't watch tons of other games like the Dodgers, Brewers etc.