Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Donnie Tyndall

Started by -Blu, March 26, 2015, 03:04:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

opineonswine

Quote from: -Blu on March 27, 2015, 10:04:15 am
Running off Cuonzo Martin has come back to bite them.  Martin wasn't the greatest coach in the world, but he kept the program clean and was trending upwards every year he was there, including a sweet 16 run.  He wasn't a bad recruiter either, had they left him alone and just let him coach, instead of thinking they were Kentucky and should be competing for a national championship every year, they would have been in a much better situation right now.

As it stands, the best case scenario for them is a mid-major up and comer, and it's not even going to be a top notch up and comer that program isn't remotely attractive at the moment.  My guess is they'll get like Louisiana Tech's head coach or some guy of that caliber.

If I'm not mistaken, the LaTech coach turned them down last time and they chose Dirty Donnie.

They appear to be in similar or worse shape than we were after Nolan's departure.  I doubt they rebound (no pun intended) quickly.

grayhawg

HOGINTENNESSEE

TNhogfan

Quote from: opineonswine on March 27, 2015, 09:20:14 am
Tennessee is my favorite "other" SEC state because the people are more like us, IMO, than the rest of the SEC (and I just like the state).  HOWEVER, when it comes to UT fans....delusional only skims the surface.  H O R R I B L E
A great example of this is a caller earlier on Knoxville radio, he said they should go after Johnny Dawkins from Stanford, Brad Stevens of the Celtics or Greg Marshall.  The hosts laughed and said, 'UT was turned down last year by the LaTech coach.  They can't go after big names.'

TNhawgfan

Quote from: TNhogfan on March 27, 2015, 09:18:46 am
Ha.  No problem.  There are not many of us in the land of the Orange.  I like living in ETN, but some of their fans are borderline delusional.  It's been great this morning listening to the calls on WNML talk about getting Marshall over Bama. 
Delusional is the word all right. One of my coworkers this morning was telling me how great this was because Donnie "couldn't coach" and now they'll get someone who will "restore us to the top." When have they ever been at the top? Yes, I know Pearl got them to #1 in the rankings one year, but they've never been to a Final Four
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

TNhawgfan

Quote from: -Blu on March 27, 2015, 10:04:15 am
Running off Cuonzo Martin has come back to bite them.  Martin wasn't the greatest coach in the world, but he kept the program clean and was trending upwards every year he was there, including a sweet 16 run.  He wasn't a bad recruiter either, had they left him alone and just let him coach, instead of thinking they were Kentucky and should be competing for a national championship every year, they would have been in a much better situation right now.

Yep, they think they're on the same level as Bama in football, too

Atlhogfan1

Pearl energized the Tennessee fan base for basketball or as much as a coach can at most SEC programs.  He plays an up tempo style while doing his used carsalesman bits off the court.  These are partially the reasons why Martin was going to have a hard time being accepted as his successor.  Fan bases get attached to coaches and styles of play. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Inhogswetrust

March 27, 2015, 11:47:52 am #57 Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:01:49 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 27, 2015, 09:40:35 am
Not like it would matter. George Karl or Larry Brown would take the job in a heart beat

Doubt it on Larry Brown. He's too old now for them. Probably the same for George Karl also.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 27, 2015, 11:36:53 am

Heck they are not even in the same timezone!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 27, 2015, 11:36:53 am
One of the Vol blogs that's done by a Knoxville sports radio personality this morning said that Tennessee is the second best basketball coaching job in the SEC, behind only Kentucky.  Makes you wonder just how much moonshine Vol supporters drink on a regular basis.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Biggus Piggus

Tennessee needs a good bridge coach, somebody who knows how to do more with less + would be willing to take the job. Maybe Brad Underwood at Stephen F. Austin.
[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 27, 2015, 11:51:21 am
One of the Vol blogs that's done by a Knoxville sports radio personality this morning said that Tennessee is the second best basketball coaching job in the SEC, behind only Kentucky.  Makes you wonder just how much moonshine Vol supporters drink on a regular basis.

Quite a few legal distilleries over there around east Tenner...........................

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 27, 2015, 11:56:28 am
Quite a few legal distilleries over there around east Tenner...........................

Quite a few of them illegal ones over there too........
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 27, 2015, 12:03:56 pm
Quite a few of them illegal ones over there too........

True in Arkansas and most southern states as well!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 27, 2015, 12:14:25 pm
True in Arkansas and most southern states as well!

Is that you on the ground in that picture, IHWT?  I could have been mistaken and that photo may have been taken in the Ozarks, not the Smokeys...

TNhogfan

Which personality?  Basilio?  Ward? or Hooker?  AR is an afterthought by Knoxville media; almost like the Hogs are not even in the SEC.  When it comes to basketball most of them are clueless.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 27, 2015, 11:47:52 am
Doubt it on Larry Brown. He's to old now for them. Probably the same for George Karl also.

Both Brown and Karl would take the job if offered.

Biggus Piggus

Here's what Wes Rucker has on his list of possible hires:

Gregg Marshall (Wichita)
Archie Miller (Dayton)
Richard Pitino (Minnesota)
Michael White (Louisiana Tech)
Rick Byrd (Belmont)
Steve Prohm (Murray State)
Will Wade (Chattanooga)
[CENSORED]!

TNhawgfan

What was the reasoning, "We have the second largest arena, so we have the second best job"???
Florida has won 2 NC and been to several Final Fours, and we have won 1 NC and been to several Final Fours. Compare that to TN

TNhogfan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 27, 2015, 01:04:57 pm
Here's what Wes Rucker has on his list of possible hires:

Gregg Marshall (Wichita)
Archie Miller (Dayton)
Richard Pitino (Minnesota)
Michael White (Louisiana Tech)
Rick Byrd (Belmont)
Steve Prohm (Murray State)
Will Wade (Chattanooga)
White turned them down last year.
Can't afford Marshall.
Miller just signed an extension.
Byrd has wanted the job in the past; they gave him a polite interview before hiring Martin.  He turns 62 in a couple of weeks.

Someone just called WNML in Knoxville wanting to have a telethon to raise $5M to bring Pearl back. 

Atlhogfan1

Those are some of the main targets I would go after if I were an AD.  You have to ask.

Murry Bartow is available. :)

Tenn fans need to move on from Pearl. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: TNhogfan on March 27, 2015, 01:00:16 pm
Which personality?  Basilio?  Ward? or Hooker?  AR is an afterthought by Knoxville media; almost like the Hogs are not even in the SEC.  When it comes to basketball most of them are clueless.

Basilio.  His blog is entertaining so I occasionally read it, even though he is an insufferable homer.

As for the other guy's question about their reasoning.......there is none.  When you are unreasonable, there is no reason for your opinions and conclusions.  My experience is that most Tennessee fans believe the short run that Pearl had there, in which he never got them further than the Elite Eight, somehow elevated them to an elite basketball program.  They like to point to good players they've had in their past like Dale Ellis, Bernard King and Allan Houston and say that that's proof that they are elite.  Yes, they have a huge arena, but it's "multi-purpose" and not just for basketball like BWA is; thus the sightlines are worse and it's not as intimate an experience as BWA. 

Like I said, they are delusional when it comes to their sports programs.

wildturkey8

Tennessee is a program with a huge untapped potential for basketball. 

TNhogfan

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 27, 2015, 03:09:59 pm
Basilio.  His blog is entertaining so I occasionally read it, even though he is an insufferable homer.

As for the other guy's question about their reasoning.......there is none.  When you are unreasonable, there is no reason for your opinions and conclusions.  My experience is that most Tennessee fans believe the short run that Pearl had there, in which he never got them further than the Elite Eight, somehow elevated them to an elite basketball program.  They like to point to good players they've had in their past like Dale Ellis, Bernard King and Allan Houston and say that that's proof that they are elite.  Yes, they have a huge arena, but it's "multi-purpose" and not just for basketball like BWA is; thus the sightlines are worse and it's not as intimate an experience as BWA. 

Like I said, they are delusional when it comes to their sports programs.
Tony's show is usually pretty good for Knoxville.  He takes a great deal of flak for not being on the 'State run' station.  Since he's never been a part of the Dick/Cumulus cluster, he is often like the Democrat was when it was an afternoon paper and the Gazette was all Razorback.  He'll usually take the opposite view on things from the power players.

Yes, they are very delusional especially about basketball.  As revered as Ray Mears is I don't think he made more than 1 or 2 NCAA or NITs.  My favorite UT basketball story is from when Jerry Green was the coach and on the postgame one night, he was asked about fans booing and said for anyone who had a problem with him to meet him at the K-Mart parking lot and they could settle things.  That is UT basketball.

Thompson-Bolling is huge.  You are correct on the sightlines.  I have sat at the top of it for both basketball and for concerts and at the top, you are above the rafters.  You have to duck down to see the game under all of the Lady Vol banners.  They have remodeled it nicely, but sightlines are still bad.

HF#1

It will be an up and comer.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hoglady

Listened to a Tenn. radio guy interviewed on overtime today.
Tennessee is Broke, Broke, Broke.
They have a reserve of 1.7 million - the lowest in the SEC / the next lowest is Ms. St. with 14.9 million.
In comparison - Alabama has a reserve of over 80 million.
They can't afford to buy anyone's contract out - so here they sit.
They'll most likely have to hire a mid-major, because they have no money to do anything else.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

-Blu

Quote from: hoglady on March 27, 2015, 04:01:56 pm
Listened to a Tenn. radio guy interviewed on overtime today.
Tennessee is Broke, Broke, Broke.
They have a reserve of 1.7 million - the lowest in the SEC / the next lowest is Ms. St. with 14.9 million.
In comparison - Alabama has a reserve of over 80 million.
They can't afford to buy anyone's contract out - so here they sit.
They'll most likely have to hire a mid-major, because they have no money to do anything else.

Welp, looks like they might have to take that caller up on his telethon idea. LOL

Paul

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 27, 2015, 11:46:41 am
Pearl energized the Tennessee fan base for basketball or as much as a coach can at most SEC programs.  He plays an up tempo style while doing his used carsalesman bits off the court.  These are partially the reasons why Martin was going to have a hard time being accepted as his successor.  Fan bases get attached to coaches and styles of play.
Like us?

ChicoHog

Quote from: Lanny on March 27, 2015, 09:08:40 am
Not a good time to be a Vol Basketball fan
There is never a good time to be a Vol basketball fan IMO!

ChicoHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 27, 2015, 11:46:41 am
And Pearl is maybe the biggest sleaze bag in all of college basketball.

Arazorbackguy1

Steve Shields is available.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Jeffcphog

Why would they want Pearl?  He is the reason they are in this shape anyway.

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Jeffcphog on March 28, 2015, 06:06:14 am
Why would they want Pearl?  He is the reason they are in this shape anyway.

Because Pearl is responsible for all there basketball success. Ut had only been to 3 sweet 16's before Pearl. Pearl took then to their only elite 8 and counts for 30% of there tourney appearances. UT is a mediocre basketball program and before Pearl they were nothing (except in women's BBall)

Inhogswetrust

March 28, 2015, 07:05:38 am #84 Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:47:50 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 27, 2015, 12:50:51 pm
Is that you on the ground in that picture, IHWT?  I could have been mistaken and that photo may have been taken in the Ozarks, not the Smokeys...

Haha! Funny...............No it's not me but I did run across a couple of guys like that once on the Ozark Highlands Trail just south of Hare Mountain.

fineswine

Even though he disgusts me (going back to his playing days), I'm surprised that Bobby Hurley doesn't seem to interest anyone.

sowmonella

How about Donnie's twin brother Ronnie Tyndall?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

GuvHog

Quote from: sowmonella on March 28, 2015, 07:49:41 am
How about Donnie's twin brother Ronnie Tyndall?

Nice picture. In loving memory of William A. "Paul Bearer" Moody.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: TNhogfan on March 27, 2015, 10:24:13 am
A great example of this is a caller earlier on Knoxville radio, he said they should go after Johnny Dawkins from Stanford, Brad Stevens of the Celtics or Greg Marshall.  The hosts laughed and said, 'UT was turned down last year by the LaTech coach.  They can't go after big names.'

Oh, they can go after big name coaches alright. They just won't get one to take the job.   ;)
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hoglady

Tyndall is a sleaze for sure.
But I get sick of the NCAA picking and choosing whose career they ruin and what schools program they crash.
Look at what No Carolina did for years and years with their academics.
Butch Davis and the football program were the sacrificial lambs by NC and the NCAA accepted that. The basketball program got nada in the form of punishment.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

gmarv

when I lived in Knoxville it was the late 90ies I think basillos radio show would mention Thompson boling arena for whatever reason.and they would que up a bowling ball hitting pens sound.pretty funny.

Paul

Quote from: gmarv on March 28, 2015, 09:54:03 am
when I lived in Knoxville it was the late 90ies I think basillos radio show would mention Thompson boling arena for whatever reason.and they would que up a bowling ball hitting pens sound.pretty funny.
. Probably cuz you could hear echoes in there due to poor attendance

Danny J

Quote from: hoglady on March 28, 2015, 09:14:23 am
Tyndall is a sleaze for sure.
But I get sick of the NCAA picking and choosing whose career they ruin and what schools program they crash.
Look at what No Carolina did for years and years with their academics.
Butch Davis and the football program were the sacrificial lambs by NC and the NCAA accepted that. The basketball program got nada in the form of punishment.
This ^^^^

TNhogfan

Quote from: Paul on March 28, 2015, 05:00:47 pm
. Probably cuz you could hear echoes in there due to poor attendance
During the Buzz Peterson years, they cut down on the echoes by hanging black curtains in the upper deck.  It was funny to go to games there and about half of the upper deck seats were behind curtains.

The real Hogules

If UT can afford Richard Pitino and could convince him to accept their head coaching position, they'd be crazy to hire anyone else.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

FBREW000

Barnes Tx old coach is on his way imho.   They could do much worse. 

JonClaudeVanHam

They should go for Prohm.

Barnes is interesting, but it wouldn't surprise me if he just called it quits for a couple years, taking a job at ESPN or CBS in the process.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: wildturkey8 on March 27, 2015, 03:16:15 pm
Tennessee is a program with a huge untapped potential for basketball. 

ALL programs are unless they have the right coach.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 29, 2015, 02:49:19 pm
If UT can afford Richard Pitino and could convince him to accept their head coaching position, they'd be crazy to hire anyone else.

We sat right behind his teams bench next to his wife and kid at his prior coaching job when they played in Hot Springs against UALR in the conference tourney. He seemed to be a very good coach to me that day.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 27, 2015, 01:04:28 pm

Both Brown and Karl would take the job if offered.

And tenner would be looking for a new coach in just a couple of years again. They do NOT need that to happen.