Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which would you rather be?

Started by tannerstahl, February 11, 2017, 10:48:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tannerstahl

February 11, 2017, 10:48:16 pm Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:32:58 pm by tannerstahl
I keep hearing/reading that the Hogs will need a strong finish plus a couple of SEC Tournament wins to get into the big dance. So if we end up with the "double bye" as the 4 seed, does that hurt us by having less opportunities for SECT wins? Say you win your first game then probably get Kentucky in the semis.

...or is it better to be the 5 seed where it would take 2 wins to get to the 1 seed in the semis? 6 seed gets the 2 seed in the semis...but obviously, the lower the seed we get the more losses we have...

Obviously as a fan I want to win every game and finish with the highest seed possible!
i love the hogs....so very very much

Adam Stokes

Quote from: tannerstahl on February 11, 2017, 10:48:16 pm
I keep hearing/reading that the Hogs will need a strong finish plus a couple of SEC Tournament wins to get into the big dance. So if we end up with the "double bye" as the 4 seed, does that hurt us by having less opportunities for SECT wins? Say you win your first game then probably get Kentucky in the semis.

...or is it better to be the 5 seed where it would take 2 wins to get to the 1 seed in the semis? 6 seed gets the 2 seed in the semis...but obviously, the lower the seed we get the more losses we have...

Obviously as a fan I want to win every game and finish with the highest seed possible!

A five seed draws the 12 or 13 seed, meaning the winner of either LSU/Mizzou as the 13 seed or whoever the 12 seed is. (Right now that is Georgia, say whaaaa...) If it were LSU or Mizzou who somehow advance, it might actually be worse, because our RPI would go down more from the SOS hit than we would go up from the boost to win %. If we got the 12 seed we have a decent shot at losing it and eliminating our chances altogether, while the help from the win would be minimal.

So I'd rather be in a position where going into the SECT we are on the ride side of the bubble, and be the 4 seed taking on the 5 seed. You win and you are a lock, you lose and you are still on the bubble. Of course, we probably need to finish 4-2 over the next six to be on the right side of the bubble and be able to risk losing the first one in the SECT, and that is looking unlikely. 3-3 going into the tourney and we are quite bubblicious and would likely need a win vs the 4/5 seed.

tannerstahl

i love the hogs....so very very much