Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Barnhill Arena (feeling nostalgic)

Started by Tejano Jawg, February 11, 2017, 01:50:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

I was spinning the dial along the ESPN channels, and the SEC Network is showing a dual gymnastics meet between LSU and Arkansas. Because of the way they have to change camera angles—ground level, sometimes low looking up (not really basketball angles)—you can really see what the old place looks like. And to those of us who spent a lot of time there, it brings back great memories.

The arena is actually pretty cool looking (still). A lot of red and white. And I remember all the support beams, arches, the way the seats are arranged, and so on. I went there once as a kid to see the Harlem Globetrotters. Then, after the renovation—from my freshman year of high school to the last game of my senior UA year—a lot of excellent Hog basketball. It was a nasty-ass place to play.

I watched Sidney, U.S. Reed, Scott Hastings, Joe Kleine, Darrell and Alvin, Downtown Tony Brown, Keith Peterson, John Snively (how about that one?) and saw Akeem Olajuwon foul out on an afternoon when we upset Phi Slamma Jamma. Great times.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

lynbug

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 11, 2017, 01:50:21 pm
I was spinning the dial along the ESPN channels, and the SEC Network is showing a dual gymnastics meet between LSU and Arkansas. Because of the way they have to change camera angles—ground level, sometimes low looking up (not really basketball angles)—you can really see what the old place looks like. And to those of us who spent a lot of time there, it brings back great memories.

The arena is actually pretty cool looking (still). A lot of red and white. And I remember all the support beams, arches, the way the seats are arranged, and so on. I went there once as a kid to see the Harlem Globetrotters. Then, after the renovation—from my freshman year of high school to the last game of my senior UA year—a lot of excellent Hog basketball. It was a nasty-ass place to play.

I watched Sidney, U.S. Reed, Scott Hastings, Joe Kleine, Darrell and Alvin, Downtown Tony Brown, Keith Peterson, John Snively (how about that one?) and saw Akeem Olajuwon foul out on an afternoon when we upset Phi Slamma Jamma. Great times.
Great times--so true. Like you I watch videos from those days, great games, great crowds, etc.   However looking backward instead of forward is part of what got us in the current mess we're in.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: lynbug on February 11, 2017, 02:05:46 pm
Great times--so true. Like you I watch videos from those days, great games, great crowds, etc.   However looking backward instead of forward is part of what got us in the current mess we're in.

Don't disagree. Although we haven't hired the next Eddie Sutton yet. That might be worth a look.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Mo_Better_Hogs

I hear you about Barnhill. Rowdy games there were the best. I wonder what the record there was from the Triplets through the MayDay era.

I bet that gymnastics crowd today was bigger than Bud Walton the last few games.

RedBird5

Man Barnhill was awesome! Such an amazing atmosphere.  The UNLV game stacks up with any Hog game regardless of sport.  So much fun, save the loss!  Nothing better than the band coming down during timeouts and circling refs and such during those years

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

daBoar

Quote from: RedBird5 on February 11, 2017, 06:12:10 pm
Man Barnhill was awesome! Such an amazing atmosphere.  The UNLV game stacks up with any Hog game regardless of sport.  So much fun, save the loss!  Nothing better than the band coming down during timeouts and circling refs and such during those years
Good times.....like it was yesterday, I recall the PA announcer just before a game with Baylor announcing...."and the nation's #1 team....the Arkansas Razorbacks"....