Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I wonder what Nolan thinks of the current state of Hog basketball.

Started by rzrbkman, February 10, 2017, 08:41:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WADHOG

Quote from: hogwood on February 10, 2017, 06:38:21 pm
This is important, as Fayetteville is a really superb town. But that kind of rating is for families or Walmartians. 18 year old black kids from Memphis or Dallas or St. Louis come here and to them this is the end of the world as they know it. It's a culture shock and that can be hard to overcome in recruiting. I think that is why Mike sells the family thing so much because he really has to try and make these kids comfortable.
Yeah, but Lawrence is really close to Topeka, and everyone knows Topeka get it crackin..

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogwood on February 10, 2017, 06:38:21 pm
This is important, as Fayetteville is a really superb town. But that kind of rating is for families or Walmartians. 18 year old black kids from Memphis or Dallas or St. Louis come here and to them this is the end of the world as they know it. It's a culture shock and that can be hard to overcome in recruiting. I think that is why Mike sells the family thing so much because he really has to try and make these kids comfortable.

It is not necessarily the end of the world for them. It is a culture shock for a lot of kids to go anywhere. We have been able to recruit black city kids before.  I wonder how Eddie Sutton was able to get some players out of Chicago for example. If you want culture shock you are also talking about a LOT of prototypical college towns.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogwood

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 11, 2017, 07:37:27 am
It is not necessarily the end of the world for them. It is a culture shock for a lot of kids to go anywhere. We have been able to recruit black city kids before.  I wonder how Eddie Sutton was able to get some players out of Chicago for example. If you want culture shock you are also talking about a LOT of prototypical college towns.

You're right. But Fayetteville is a good 5 hours or so from any metro where we are trying to recruit from out of state. That's pretty rare. That's what I mean when I say "end of the world", as in we are isolated.

I know Tulsa is about 2 hours, but how often is there a kid coming out that city? I can't even recall one in the last decade... Shake Milton, but we didn't even recruit him. Ryan Spangler, a 3* at the time. Then Rotnei, who was from Claremore. Not a talent rich place.

hogwood

Quote from: WADHOG on February 10, 2017, 10:26:36 pm
Yeah, but Lawrence is really close to Topeka, and everyone knows Topeka get it crackin..

Umm? Kansas City is like 30 minutes away. St. Louis not too far either.

beachhog

Thanks for the link to that podcast.  It was actually really good.

zuko

Quote from: rzrbkman on February 10, 2017, 08:41:55 am
Would he be accepting of CMA's coaching results?
I would venture a guess and say that he's not talking because he's the one that bought Mike here and really doesn't want to talk about it. I am still trying to figure out why Long wouldn't give Pelphry the last year on his contract when he had a good recruiting class and a good nucleus including Rontei Clarke. Rontie couldn't figure it out either. Only reason I can figure is Nolan kept in Long's ear so now we got another 6 years of mediocrity for it.