Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Glory Days

Started by Pork Twain, February 10, 2017, 08:24:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

February 10, 2017, 08:24:11 am Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:02:09 pm by Pork Twain
I grew up during this time and that is why the last three coaches have been so difficult for me to stomach.  We last dominated college football the decade before I was born, so I have no real connection there.  Basketball on the other hand...  I entered kindergarten in 1980 and graduated in 1994.  I experienced nothing but amazing Razorbacks basketball for all of my formative years, and the product I see us willing to accept and even defend on our courts today is pathetic.  We have shown in the past that we can dominate this sport and compete year in and year out.  There is no excuse to continue to accept mediocrity.

For those that prefer to have their sadness in a spreadsheet.
Red = less than 20 wins
Green = more than 20 wins

Sadly since Nolan fired himself we have almost seen an inverse in these colors.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogsanity

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 10, 2017, 08:24:11 am
I grew up during this time and that is why the last three coaches have been so difficult for me to stomach.  We last dominated college football the decade before I was born, so I have no real connection there.  Basketball on the other hand...  I entered kindergarten in 1980 and graduated in 1994.  I experienced nothing but amazing Razorbacks basketball for all of my formative years, and the product I see us willing to accept and even defend on our courts today is pathetic.  We have shown in the past that we can dominate this sport and compete year in and year out.  There is no excuse to continue to accept mediocrity.

My contention is that, when JFB was allowed to go hire coaches on his own all the major sports did quite well. For basketball, he went and hire Eddie Sutton from Creighton. Creighton at the time was a independent, and except for his last season there, they had been just a bit better than .500. JFB had a knack for looking at a coaches lineage, much like a buyer of thoroughbred horses, and he could see where Eddie Sutton learned the game. Same for Nolan, yes, Nolan had had success at the juco level, and at Tulsa, but he was not a "blue blood " he did, however, come from some very good coaching trees.

Once committees and former players and politics got involved, the coaching hires have not worked out so well.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bkjbearcat

Right now I'd take an assistant who has a lot of upside. I remember when he was hired at Kansas Roy Williams was a no name, in fact he was KU's fourth option. But he turned out good. Who says we wouldn't have that luck?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Biggus Piggus

Can you do this chart with winning percentage instead of wins?

The numbers of games per season have moved up over the years.
[CENSORED]!

lynbug

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2017, 08:33:52 am
My contention is that, when JFB was allowed to go hire coaches on his own all the major sports did quite well. For basketball, he went and hire Eddie Sutton from Creighton. Creighton at the time was a independent, and except for his last season there, they had been just a bit better than .500. JFB had a knack for looking at a coaches lineage, much like a buyer of thoroughbred horses, and he could see where Eddie Sutton learned the game. Same for Nolan, yes, Nolan had had success at the juco level, and at Tulsa, but he was not a "blue blood " he did, however, come from some very good coaching trees.

Once committees and former players and politics got involved, the coaching hires have not worked out so well.
I don't pretend to know the reason for what has transpired the last 25 years but......could someone please tell me another D1 college where something similar happened.  I really believe we are in a class all our own >:( >:(

Pork Twain

February 10, 2017, 10:19:13 am #5 Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 11:59:34 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 10, 2017, 09:21:25 am
Can you do this chart with winning percentage instead of wins?

The numbers of games per season have moved up over the years.
Some people...  I will do it after I get back from lunch.

Thank god for formulas in excel
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

The Boar War

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 10, 2017, 10:19:13 am
Some people...  I will do it after I get back from lunch.

Thank god for formulas in excel

Thanks.  IMO this is much more telling.  The first timeline made it look like some of Mike's successes were equal with Suttons.  The second shows that some of Anderson's best are the equivalent of Sutton's down years (after he got his recruits).

sickboy

Wow. Cool graphic. I had no idea how rare the 27 win season we had with Portis was. In my mind, those seasons were every other year back in the day, but in reality there have only been 5 seasons since 1975 that were better than that season.

Pork Twain

Quote from: sickboy on February 10, 2017, 12:55:28 pm
Wow. Cool graphic. I had no idea how rare the 27 win season we had with Portis was. In my mind, those seasons were every other year back in the day, but in reality there have only been 5 seasons since 1975 that were better than that season.
You know what else was rare during that time period?  Winning less than 20 games.  That happened only 6 times from 1975-2001 but has happened 9 times since 2002, 3 times since 2012.

Pork Twain