Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Last 3 coaches have one thing in common.

Started by john123, February 09, 2017, 09:19:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

john123

As a student who would camp out for days for the privilege of buying season bball tickets in the 90s I have no idea what could right this ship.  For the last 14 years I have watched the same game played under 3 coaches that all are good and nice guys.  That's the problem, all 3 (Heath,pelphrey, and Anderson) were the assistant good cop to the head coach bad cop. Izzo, Donovan, and Nolan were a holes to their players, and the players respected them for it. Nolan would scare the players to death just with a glare, and Anderson would pat them on the back and tell them it would be alright. Day, Mayberry, Miller and the rest knew if they screwed up a game on Saturday that there would be hell to pay on Sunday morning. Fear motivated these guys and the great coaches know how to instill that and still be loved by their guys. Our last 3 coaches don't have that coaching tool in their arsenal, it's not something you learn it's something you are born with. I can't fault them for it but I can blame the guys who keep hiring nice guys. I hope when we are looking for a new coach that those hiring(please not Jeff) have learned this lesson and go find us somebody with a whole lotta junkyard dog in them(Chris Beard, 1980s Nolan, Nick Saban types).

The Boar War

Chris Beard, Nolan, and Nick Saban.......

So who do you want to hire?

john123

Those were examples of character types. If I were hiring today I'd go after Mitch Cronin, Chris Beard, Tom Crean if Indiana cans him.

The Boar War

February 09, 2017, 10:05:59 pm #3 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:20:01 pm by The Boar War
Quote from: john123 on February 09, 2017, 09:52:47 pm
Those were examples of character types. If I were hiring today I'd go after Mitch Cronin, Chris Beard, Tom Crean if Indiana cans him.

I kind of figured that when he was listed along with Izzo, Donovan, and Saban.  ;)

I don't have a problem with Beard but I would like to see what he does (consistently) in a major college basketball conference.

Ramboar

3 things in common.......can I buy they all 3 sucked for 500$.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

zuko

Quote from: john123 on February 09, 2017, 09:19:13 pm
As a student who would camp out for days for the privilege of buying season bball tickets in the 90s I have no idea what could right this ship.  For the last 14 years I have watched the same game played under 3 coaches that all are good and nice guys.  That's the problem, all 3 (Heath,pelphrey, and Anderson) were the assistant good cop to the head coach bad cop. Izzo, Donovan, and Nolan were a holes to their players, and the players respected them for it. Nolan would scare the players to death just with a glare, and Anderson would pat them on the back and tell them it would be alright. Day, Mayberry, Miller and the rest knew if they screwed up a game on Saturday that there would be hell to pay on Sunday morning. Fear motivated these guys and the great coaches know how to instill that and still be loved by their guys. Our last 3 coaches don't have that coaching tool in their arsenal, it's not something you learn it's something you are born with. I can't fault them for it but I can blame the guys who keep hiring nice guys. I hope when we are looking for a new coach that those hiring(please not Jeff) have learned this lesson and go find us somebody with a whole lotta junkyard dog in them(Chris Beard, 1980s Nolan, Nick Saban types).
You have the right idea, but the wrong approach. As I said in a previous post, the accent at Arkansas is Graduation which Jeff Long wants. It seems to be prevalent throughout athletics at Arkansas which is just mediocre success in the sports. How many of Kentucky's bbl players graduate? Most of them are two and out and go to the pros. All of the big schools, Kentucky, Kansas, Ohio State, etc all have asteady flow of players who want to come there to play because they produce winner. There is big money in successful college sports and Arkansas is not among them. Mike's hands might be tied as to what he can offer people.

WBOBO

Quote from: The Boar War on February 09, 2017, 09:44:40 pm
Chris Beard, Nolan, and Nick Saban.......

So who do you want to hire?
I would bet money give Nolan or Saban Mike's team and they would not have lost to Vanderbilt at HOME the other night.  Saban knows nothing about basketball, but he will get the most out of what we have and it's that factor of fear
and respect.  We have lost that feeling.

but HATES to lose. 
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: zuko on February 09, 2017, 10:34:12 pm
You have the right idea, but the wrong approach. As I said in a previous post, the accent at Arkansas is Graduation which Jeff Long wants. It seems to be prevalent throughout athletics at Arkansas which is just mediocre success in the sports. How many of Kentucky's bbl players graduate? Most of them are two and out and go to the pros. All of the big schools, Kentucky, Kansas, Ohio State, etc all have asteady flow of players who want to come there to play because they produce winner. There is big money in successful college sports and Arkansas is not among them. Mike's hands might be tied as to what he can offer people.

Uh all teams can offer the same.  It is NCAA basketball, there are no contracts or whatever.  All teams can offer scholarships.  Do some teams cheat?  Yes.  But I would wager a majority don't.  What do teams like Kansas and KY offer that 99.9% of most other teams don't?  Easy, they are number 1 and 2 in all time wins in college basketball.  If kids have a chance to play for a winner and all that entails why wouldn't they?  I have seen you post this in another thread, dumb premise.  Arkansas has history, nearly 30 years of sustained history of good basketball to offer.  All the pieces are there to wake the sleeping giant, just haven't found the right captain for the ship.  If you guys ever do, watch out...

hogfan10

Quote from: zuko on February 09, 2017, 10:34:12 pm

Not sure you understand what the purpose/mission of a college/university is.

Tusks

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 09, 2017, 11:15:48 pm
Not sure you understand what the purpose/mission of a college/university is.

Then why the palaces, the suites, the big ticket prices?

Change conferences, lower ticket prices, do it for the fun of the game and throw a party on game days.  Stop pretending.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Etowah

Can't find it now...but I saw some research where it showed that the overwhelming most successful coaches in Power 5 conferences were those who first got head coaching jobs at mid majors before taking over at a P5 school.

Coaches who come from highly successful programs as assistants were much less likely to be successful in those conferences.

hogfan10

Quote from: tusked on February 09, 2017, 11:55:42 pm
Then why the palaces, the suites, the big ticket prices?

Change conferences, lower ticket prices, do it for the fun of the game and throw a party on game days.  Stop pretending.

I agree that the athletic department is trying to maximize revenues by any means, and personally, I think they have over reached.
BWA was built too big, enclosed stadium will be too big. With ticket prices going up and every game on TV, I just don't see consistent sellouts
in the future for basketball/football. On a side note, once all baseball games are televised (like basketball/football) the demand for tickets to Baum
will slide too.

But to the point of the post that I originally responded to, and that you commented on; the athletic department is a supplement to the university (academics), not vice versa. Personally I'd prefer that the student-athlete farce end, and universities award athletic scholarships to actual student athletes, who legitimately qualify for entry, and who have intentions of actually going to school/class to learn. A separate league/farm system should be established for the NONstudent-athletes (as is done in baseball).

ATU HOG

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 10, 2017, 10:38:27 am
I agree that the athletic department is trying to maximize revenues by any means, and personally, I think they have over reached.
BWA was built too big, enclosed stadium will be too big. With ticket prices going up and every game on TV, I just don't see consistent sellouts
in the future for basketball/football. On a side note, once all baseball games are televised (like basketball/football) the demand for tickets to Baum
will slide too.

But to the point of the post that I originally responded to, and that you commented on; the athletic department is a supplement to the university (academics), not vice versa. Personally I'd prefer that the student-athlete farce end, and universities award athletic scholarships to actual student athletes, who legitimately qualify for entry, and who have intentions of actually going to school/class to learn. A separate league/farm system should be established for the NONstudent-athletes (as is done in baseball).
Can you elaborate on this for me?

hogfan10

Quote from: ATU HOG on February 10, 2017, 11:25:22 am
Can you elaborate on this for me?

Something similar to Minor League Baseball, where athletes can go if not interested in getting an education. The good thing about football is that the athletes are at least on campus for 3 years, the bad is how many are just wasting their time academically until they are pro-eligible, or their 4/5 years are up.

ATU HOG

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 10, 2017, 11:35:01 am
Something similar to Minor League Baseball, where athletes can go if not interested in getting an education. The good thing about football is that the athletes are at least on campus for 3 years, the bad is how many are just wasting their time academically until they are pro-eligible, or their 4/5 years are up.
I gotcha.  I thought you were referencing the club team at Arkansas for some reason.