Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bleacher Report on the NCAA Field

Started by WilsonHog, February 09, 2017, 07:22:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

"Third Team Out: Arkansas Razorbacks (17-6, RPI: 36, KP: 51, SOS: 63)."

"Like Miami, the total number of losses for Arkansas looks promising, but who has this team beaten? The Razorbacks are 1-4 against the RPI Top 50 with a close win over Tennessee and a few blowout losses to Kentucky, Oklahoma State and Minnesota."

"That would be plenty for a projected bid if there weren't any bad losses, but Arkansas has two of the worst losses of any team on the bubble: vs. Mississippi State and at Missouri. Because of those missteps, the Razorbacks might need to go 7-1 the rest of the way, which would mean a road win over either Florida or South Carolina."

hogwood

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 09, 2017, 07:22:42 pm

"Like Miami, the total number of losses for Arkansas looks promising, but who has this team beaten? The Razorbacks are 1-4 against the RPI Top 50 with a close win over Tennessee and a few blowout losses to Kentucky, Oklahoma State and Minnesota."

"That would be plenty for a projected bid if there weren't any bad losses, but Arkansas has two of the worst losses of any team on the bubble: vs. Mississippi State and at Missouri. Because of those missteps, the Razorbacks might need to go 7-1 the rest of the way, which would mean a road win over either Florida or South Carolina."

Well we blew that 7-1 thing, unless we beat FL and SC on the road and finish on a tear.

mizzouman

This is exactly what I've been saying.  Now, they need to go 7-0. 

riccoar

I think 7-1 would get it too, if that one loss is to either FLA or SC.  That's going to mean you beat one of the top 3 teams and get back into being the 4th place team.  Very much a Long shot.

hogsanity

Quote from: riccoar on February 10, 2017, 09:57:11 am
I think 7-1 would get it too, if that one loss is to either FLA or SC.  That's going to mean you beat one of the top 3 teams and get back into being the 4th place team.  Very much a Long shot.

Finishing 4th means nothing. SC finished 3rd last year, had 24 wins, and went to the NIT.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

riccoar

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2017, 10:00:34 am
Finishing 4th means nothing. SC finished 3rd last year, had 24 wins, and went to the NIT.
Hence, the term LONG SHOT.

Biggus Piggus

Last season, ACC teams that made the NCAAT finished first, second, third, two tied for fifth, two tied for ninth in the ACC.
[CENSORED]!

jry04

Quote from: mizzouman on February 10, 2017, 09:49:06 am
This is exactly what I've been saying.  Now, they need to go 7-0.
How you ever thought we would have to go 7-0 is beyond me. Makes me realize even more you were just looking at the schedule and none of the metrics used to evaluate teams.

Quote from: mizzouman on February 06, 2017, 01:05:43 pm
5-3 won't get you in.  You'll need to make it to the SECT championship game if you went 5-3.  Could it happen?  Yes, but unlikely. 
Sure is fun to look back at these. If we were to lose the next two, we would be 5-3. Still think we would have to make the SEC Championship game? As I said the whole time, 22-23 wins gets us in. 23 and we are an absolute lock. We NEVER had to finish 7-0

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jry04 on February 26, 2017, 09:30:37 am
How you ever thought we would have to go 7-0 is beyond me. Makes me realize even more you were just looking at the schedule and none of the metrics used to evaluate teams.
Sure is fun to look back at these. If we were to lose the next two, we would be 5-3. Still think we would have to make the SEC Championship game? As I said the whole time, 22-23 wins gets us in. 23 and we are an absolute lock. We NEVER had to finish 7-0

Strength of schedule for the whole year as well as the win/loss record against that schedule are the main metrics used to measure a team.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

February 26, 2017, 09:36:06 am #9 Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:09:03 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 10, 2017, 10:28:34 am
Last season, ACC teams that made the NCAAT finished first, second, third, two tied for fifth, two tied for ninth in the ACC.

It is the standard bearer for college basketball conference depth.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ShadowHawg

For those of us who follow college basketball as well as the hogs, SC not making the tournament was no surprise at all. Their win total was bloated with 13 wins against garbage opponents.

The schedule that the hogs played was considered much better which is why comparisons between the two are apples and oranges.

HoopS

Yep. But it'll continue to be sited as a reason we should be worried.

Dirty

HoopS

Mainly the ones who want a new coach.

J-Five

Funny to go back and read earlier posts/threads about this Arkansas basketball team...and all the naysayers.   :puke:
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

Youngsta71701

What are they saying now?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 27, 2017, 04:05:24 pm
What are they saying now?
That Mike got his crap together?  First time in 6 years he has stopped pressing, played primarily zone, and played 2 posts at the same time. 

All Gas, No Brakes!

HawgnCorona

Bleacher Report...Nah, I think we are locked in. Im going with Lunardi, he has a much better track record. I do question the blogger though. Why mention USCe? Do we need to beat them ON THE ROAD AGAIN, this year?! Sounds like he wrote this before the LSU win. Nostrodamus they are not.

Florida is up next on the way to 7-0.

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

HoopS

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 27, 2017, 05:03:37 pm
That Mike got his crap together?  First time in 6 years he has stopped pressing, played primarily zone, and played 2 posts at the same time. 

there has been plenty of times we've backed off on D and zoned. People are acting like that's never happened before. But we have indeed played way more zone and not switching on D - which was the primary problem. Getting the wrong guys matched up inside and out.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HawgnCorona on February 27, 2017, 09:31:11 pm
Bleacher Report...Nah, I think we are locked in. Im going with Lunardi, he has a much better track record. I do question the blogger though. Why mention USCe? Do we need to beat them ON THE ROAD AGAIN, this year?! Sounds like he wrote this before the LSU win. Nostrodamus they are not.

Florida is up next on the way to 7-0.

No [CENSORED] darn. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.