Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Fear Factor

Started by Captain Morgan, February 09, 2017, 03:40:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Morgan

Lets all take a deep breathe...

3 of the last 4 games have been some of the worst in school history! :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Why is the argument from the Anderson Army now fear of the next coach hire?

Why does it have to be fear or doom and gloom?
What if maybe the next coach could be a light in the tunnel.
Don't be afraid to make a move if need be Jeff!  :razorback: :razorback:

Hawg Red

Give me the unknown over the known at this point.

lynbug

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 09, 2017, 03:45:28 pm
Give me the unknown over the known at this point.
Amen!  Next year we will be without our blocking machine (little bit of sarcasm) and Dusty's 3pt shooting and spot on free throw shooting.  Just how good can the incoming players be?  Can they replace the few good things that we're losing?

Captain Morgan

Quote from: lynbug on February 09, 2017, 04:06:16 pm
Amen!  Next year we will be without our blocking machine (little bit of sarcasm) and Dusty's 3pt shooting and spot on free throw shooting.  Just how good can the incoming players be?  Can they replace the few good things that we're losing?

You can improve productivity with a coach like Gregg Marshall or Archie Miller  ;)

Knot2brite

There is the legitimate fear that things will fall apart if MA is released. We could lose these recruits. We could be over-estimating the importance of our place in the basketball pecking order. We may have trouble finding a coach that thinks this is the place that he can win a national championship. There is always the chance that something like the Altman situation occurs and we are forced to take our fifth or sixth choice. These are legitimate fears. We can spin it any way we want but the question I have for everyone is "Are we better off now than we were six years ago?" Has this job become better? Have we pushed our expectations too high too quick? Are we jaded because ,some who wanted MA because they wanted the glory years back, haven't gotten what they wanted when they wanted it? These are the questions that we have to ask ourselves IF MA cannot make the tourney. To be totally honest, I hope he makes it and gets his two more years. That way at the end there will be NO QUESTIONS to be asked if he fails. But I am now hearing a little different tune than what I heard a week ago. It sounds like the heat just got turned up not only on MA but also JL (and BB). Some folks around the hill have woke up in the last seven days and they aren't happy. This could turn out to be a very interesting 11 months
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

realistichog

The trip down memory lane has been an abstract failure. It is past time to move on.

Hawg Red

Quote from: lynbug on February 09, 2017, 04:06:16 pm

Gafford and Garland are both very good players, and figure to be great Hogs in time, but to your point, they will be a step back from Moses and Dusty next year. Moses has regressed badly, but I think it might be asking too much for Gafford to come here and average 11 points, 8 rebounds and 2-3 blocks like Moses is right now. There will be a lot of adjustment for him. For Garland, I don't see him dropping 14 a game like Dusty is (nevermind that he isn't near the shooter). He brings some things that Dusty doesn't, but again, he's going to be a freshman so expectations should be tempered. This is a big reason why I don't think it really makes sense to give Mike another year when it looks like we figure to actually take a step back given the lost experience and production unless we bring in a good coach and that can actually coach to these players' strengths and not just throw them out in some "system" and hope they gave the requisite effort and execute despite the lacking of coaching.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Knot2brite on February 09, 2017, 06:29:46 pm
There is the legitimate fear that things will fall apart if MA is released. We could lose these recruits. We could be over-estimating the importance of our place in the basketball pecking order. We may have trouble finding a coach that thinks this is the place that he can win a national championship. There is always the chance that something like the Altman situation occurs and we are forced to take our fifth or sixth choice. These are legitimate fears. We can spin it any way we want but the question I have for everyone is "Are we better off now than we were six years ago?" Has this job become better? Have we pushed our expectations too high too quick? Are we jaded because ,some who wanted MA because they wanted the glory years back, haven't gotten what they wanted when they wanted it? These are the questions that we have to ask ourselves IF MA cannot make the tourney. To be totally honest, I hope he makes it and gets his two more years. That way at the end there will be NO QUESTIONS to be asked if he fails. But I am now hearing a little different tune than what I heard a week ago. It sounds like the heat just got turned up not only on MA but also JL (and BB). Some folks around the hill have woke up in the last seven days and they aren't happy. This could turn out to be a very interesting 11 months

If we lose the recruits, we lose them. It's no reason to keep Anderson. And I don't know if this job is any better than it was 6 years ago, but I can tell you that if it isn't, it's Mike Anderson's fault. And that would be another reason to let him go. If a coach is holding you back, cut bait and move on to the next fishing hole. Everyone said that we just needed Mike to come here and capitalize on the great 2011 recruiting class Pelphrey signed. Well, how did that work out? And now we're here 6 years later and this team looks like a mess on the court in February JUST LIKE IT DID WITH PELPHREY. Mike doesn't have it. We need to accept that. I don't care if we hire an up-and-comer. Every great coach in college basketball was one at some point. Nolan and Sutton were when they came here. But we have GOT TO have someone who can coach basketball and Mike just cannot. That's the truth.

pigmailyen

Quote from: realistichog on February 09, 2017, 07:59:55 pm
The trip down memory lane has been an abstract failure. It is past time to move on.

Abstract?
The failure is pretty damn real, IMO.

BigHog396

Things aren't going to fall any further apart than what we have now.  If all you want to be is an also-ran basketball program, then absolutely, keep Mike Anderson.  Being a 20 to 24 win program is not what this fan base wants, or expects.

Time to cut bait and see if we can get a coach here that can lead us back to national prominence.  Mike has proven that he is incapable of doing that, in every single aspect of being a head coach.  If an already established coach can't do it in SIX years, he can't do it.  I'm sure there are a few examples of it out there, but it is by far the exception, not the rule.

If TPTB are smart enough to fire Mike, they will pay the money for a top notch coach.  Anyone currently in the coaching profession knows what the Razorback fan base and BWA are capable of, and know that this program is a sleeping giant.  We are not going to get a Self, or Williams, or Krzyzewski, but we can get a high level coach.  Dear Lord, we are paying an average coach Top 20 money right now.

HogBreath

What if we har a new coach and he discovers the practice facility is filled with dead bears and bolts like Altman did for greener pastures?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

The Boar War

Quote from: BigHog396 on February 09, 2017, 08:37:13 pm
Things aren't going to fall any further apart than what we have now.

The hell they can't.  I'm not happy with the way things are going and think that it is probably time for a change.  But only a few years ago we were going 2-14 in conference and losing to the likes of Missouri State, Morgan State, East Tennessee State, and South Alabama.  So yeah while we're not meeting our goals it can be (and recently has been) worse.

However fear of the unknown and the negatives that could come are no reason not to look (and work) for better.  We're in a much better position than we were at the end of Pelphreys tenure even if we haven't reached our potential.

Knot2brite

Things aren't going to fall any further apart than what we have now.  If all you want to be is an also-ran basketball program, then absolutely, keep Mike Anderson.  Being a 20 to 24 win program is not what this fan base wants, or expects.

Time to cut bait and see if we can get a coach here that can lead us back to national prominence.  Mike has proven that he is incapable of doing that, in every single aspect of being a head coach.  If an already established coach can't do it in SIX years, he can't do it.  I'm sure there are a few examples of it out there, but it is by far the exception, not the rule.

If TPTB are smart enough to fire Mike, they will pay the money for a top notch coach.  Anyone currently in the coaching profession knows what the Razorback fan base and BWA are capable of, and know that this program is a sleeping giant.  We are not going to get a Self, or Williams, or Krzyzewski, but we can get a high level coach.  Dear Lord, we are paying an average coach Top 20 money right now.
Things can be much much worse but just because they can be worse doesn't mean they are going to be worse. I figure JL will not fire MA unless he has a ironclad deal with a coach and I don't see that happening right now. He has to play this season out and then gauge what the carousel looks like and that will take time. This is the reason I don't see MA leaving this job if he doesn't make the tourney. Long gets lots of criticism ( some justified and some not) but one thing I know is that he never does anything without a plan. I just don't see him having developed the plan in the last month
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Knot2brite on February 09, 2017, 10:16:18 pm
Things can be much much worse but just because they can be worse doesn't mean they are going to be worse. I figure JL will not fire MA unless he has a ironclad deal with a coach and I don't see that happening right now. He has to play this season out and then gauge what the carousel looks like and that will take time. This is the reason I don't see MA leaving this job if he doesn't make the tourney. Long gets lots of criticism ( some justified and some not) but one thing I know is that he never does anything without a plan. I just don't see him having developed the plan in the last month

I really think this is as bad as it gets. We are coached awfully bad

phadedhawg

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 10, 2017, 05:06:30 pm

I'm sure we could increase our losses but we've lost so many games for far too long it's not like it could sting any worse. 

I would like to see a product on the floor that had a different approach to the game.  I could handle the same results, probably, but I'm weary of more of the same equaling the same results.

rickfahr

Quote from: Knot2brite on February 09, 2017, 10:16:18 pm

wasn't he the guy who put smiley in charge of the football team? great plan

mountainhog

Thanks

For

The

Paragraphs.

majp51

Quote from: pigmailyen on February 09, 2017, 08:14:21 pm
Abstract?
The failure is pretty damn real, IMO.

He meant Abject Failure I bet.

hobhog

Performance wise maybe, but I shudder at the thought of another year like this one. It is mentally exhausting and I can't imagine the apathy/anger if we start out next year with some losses. I just don't have the energy for the looming negativity.

BigHog396

That was my entire point.  The coaching, actual coaching, won't be any worse than what we have now.  Mike's results have proven, the entire time that he has been here, that he can't coach a lick in regards to simple basketball fundamentals.

I realize the results, wins and losses, could be worse, but at this point Mike's track record shows that he is not capable of getting Razorback basketball back to the level where it SHOULD be.  He will never be a coach that gets us back to being in the dance on a consistent basis.  Maybe my choice of wording didn't convey what I was thinking well, but from what I have seen, I don't think we can get any worse as far as consistency and fundamentals are concerned.

Pelphrey had to rebuild from the absolute dumpster fire that Heath had left us in.  It seems like people forget just how bad things were when Pel got here... it was so bad that Altman took the job, and left in something like 26 hours after seeing just how bad things were.  Pelphrey had a monumental rebuilding job to undertake, and did a good job of fixing the problems Heath had left us with.  Pel left us on a solid footing, and Mike wouldn't be leaving it any worse than he found it, but I don't think it's appreciably better than how he found it either.

I'm fed up with seeing college basketball players that consistently make mistakes that were coached out of me in Junior High!  A big part of the problem is Mike's offensive and defensive philosophies, which put the players into situations where those fundamental breakdowns occur over-and-over.  That's what has cost us incredibly in the games we have lost, and have made a number of the games that we have won much closer than they ever should have been.

Big picture is this... Mike is simply not a good enough coach to get us back to being a perennial power in college basketball.  He has proven that.  For that reason alone, not even considering the attendance nightmare, it's time to show him the door and open up a Brinks truck to get an upper echelon coach back on the hill. 

Captain Morgan

How about this guy to replace Anderson?