Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Next thing you Know..."

Started by WilsonHog, February 09, 2017, 03:00:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

CMA on Vandy:  "They made a couple of shots and ... we were on hour heels. Next thing you know they were running their offense to perfection."

"Next thing you know," like we had zip to do with it and it was some kind of friggin' miracle.

Yeah, that tends to happen when our defensive philosophy resulted in them getting wide-open looks.

Biggus Piggus

HDN drove me nuts the way he was unable to answer a technical question about football, and he never could explain what had happened in a bad game. I have to assume Anderson answers the way he does to avoid talking about what he really thinks.
[CENSORED]!

lynbug

To me it's as obvious as the nose on your face that we have seen things a good as they are gonna get with MA.  Has anyone noticed the looks of letdown and confusion on the faces of the players?  It seems like they know things should be so much better....but they're not the coach....they're not supposed to know what to do.  They can only perform their roles.  But, I'm not even sure they know their roles well.  But I truly don't think the plug will be pulled this year.  I'm also not sure that I can watch the slow train wreck the rest of the season.  It's heartbreaking to me.  I know that sounds dramatic but for 25 years this is what I lived for October-March.  Hard to give it up.

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 09, 2017, 03:06:34 pm
HDN drove me nuts the way he was unable to answer a technical question about football, and he never could explain what had happened in a bad game. I have to assume Anderson answers the way he does to avoid talking about what he really thinks.

I think he says EXACTLY what he is thinking, and that is a huge problem. He is amazed at seeing a team actually run an offense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: lynbug on February 09, 2017, 03:13:11 pm
To me it's as obvious as the nose on your face that we have seen things a good as they are gonna get with MA.  Has anyone noticed the looks of letdown and confusion on the faces of the players?  It seems like they know things should be so much better....but they're not the coach....they're not supposed to know what to do.  They can only perform their roles.  But, I'm not even sure they know their roles well.  But I truly don't think the plug will be pulled this year.  I'm also not sure that I can watch the slow train wreck the rest of the season.  It's heartbreaking to me.  I know that sounds dramatic but for 25 years this is what I lived for October-March.  Hard to give it up.

This is why you pay an athletic director. The AD has to be the one who recognizes that the coach has lost his way.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

"My job, each and every year, we want to win a championship, we want to get to the tournament. ... This time of the year is when I'm used to our teams really taking off."

It is Feb. 9. MA's annual records from the week of Feb. 9:

2012 - 2-7
2013 - 5-5
2014 - 7-4
2015 - 9-4
2016 - 4-5

OK.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

MA always sounds mystified after playing a team that runs plays to set up outside shots. "They hit some shots..." No darn, Sherlock. They planned to do that. Everything they do is designed to do that. If you let them get their shots, they will make them. Arkansas let Vanderbilt AND Missouri take wide-open shots until they were full of confidence. Then Vandy and Mizzou made some shots that were pure balls. Same thing happened against Mississippi State.

Not a new thing. Remember Iowa State in Dec. 2004? Made some wide-open threes. We tried to extend and gave up 71% inside. Remember Ole Miss one month later? Same thing. They made over half of their threes. We extended, they went inside and shot 58%.

There's a certain formula that absolutely ruins MA's system. Take an opponent like Alabama that runs a ratty offense and has no outside shooting. We're good against that. We can let them shoot open shots and get away with it. Only kind of teams Arkansas can handle right now.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 09, 2017, 03:18:44 pm
"My job, each and every year, we want to win a championship, we want to get to the tournament. ... This time of the year is when I'm used to our teams really taking off."

2012 - 2-7
2013 - 5-5
2014 - 7-4
2015 - 9-4
2016 - 4-5

OK.

Mizzou

2007 4-4
2008 3-5
2009 10-3  The Anderson anomaly for which so much is built.
2010 6-5
2011 5-5
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

(notOM)Rebel123

"My job, each and every year, we want to win a championship, we want to get to the tournament. ... This time of the year is when I'm used to our teams really taking a few days off."

2012 - 2-7
2013 - 5-5
2014 - 7-4
2015 - 9-4
2016 - 4-5

OK.

Fify
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

SPAL

That kinda reeks of "they score so fast it just messed you up." No?

rljjr

2012 - 2-7
2013 - 5-5
2014 - 7-4
2015 - 9-4
2016 - 4-5

OK.

That one struck me as well.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 09, 2017, 03:49:12 pm
That kinda reeks of "they score so fast it just messed you up." No?
Beat me to it...+1000
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

We got off the bus, Yadda, yadda, yadda, and we lost.

The_Iceman

Mike Anderson is Nutt 2.0. If he doesn't motivate the players to get up for the game, they have no chance to win because they have zero fundamentals or game plan to fall back on.

elksnort

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 09, 2017, 04:53:04 pm
Mike Anderson is Nutt 2.0. If he doesn't motivate the players to get up for the game, they have no chance to win because they have zero fundamentals or game plan to fall back on.
Frankly, this is very accurate.

Inhogswetrust

That's a damn good and scary analogy of coaches! It also appears both are getting the same tenure.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

2012 - 2-7
2013 - 5-5
2014 - 7-4
2015 - 9-4
2016 - 4-5

OK.

Haha! Maybe he meant a different type of "taking off"....................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hoggish1

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 09, 2017, 03:00:24 pm
CMA on Vandy:  "They made a couple of shots and ... we were on hour heels. Next thing you know they were running their offense to perfection."

"Next thing you know," like we had zip to do with it and it was some kind of friggin' miracle.

Yeah, that tends to happen when our defensive philosophy resulted in them getting wide-open looks.

Mike needs to be Nolan's assistant again...  Maybe if that could happen Mike would pay attention...

SONofHAM

I'm ready for a coach who can do better than "give me some energy...I need some energy now."

"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SONofHAM on February 09, 2017, 06:08:00 pm
I'm ready for a coach who can do better than "give me some energy...I need some energy now."

Nobody knew Pel was just predicting the future when he said "lay down and bleed"...............................

Sow Lancelot

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Justagp

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2017, 03:29:45 pm
Mizzou

2007 4-4
2008 3-5
2010 6-5
2011 5-5
Not good

Sivad

Anderson has never discussed a technical basketball issue in any of his myriad of public addresses. It's all "get the ball in the basket" "gotta play fast", etc cliched drivel on less than elementary level. I don't think he does it to avoid anything - it's just all he can do.

ronmahony

Getting ready to watch Duke North Carolina, the gym looks electric. How long has it been since we looked like that? I figure I might as well start watching other teams, pick who I am going to root for in the tournament.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

HogBreath

2012 - 2-7
2013 - 5-5
2014 - 7-4
2015 - 9-4
2016 - 4-5

OK.
Lol...according to Mike, we're built for this time of year.

What a freakin joke.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HogBreath

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2017, 03:29:45 pm
Mizzou

2007 4-4
2008 3-5
2010 6-5
2011 5-5

That one good year has made him many millions for sure.  Maybe that's what they mean by fast 40.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

WilsonHog

Quote from: ronmahony on February 09, 2017, 07:04:40 pm
Getting ready to watch Duke North Carolina, the gym looks electric. How long has it been since we looked like that? I figure I might as well start watching other teams, pick who I am going to root for in the tournament.

Indiana and Purdue has been pretty entertaining, too.

realistichog

The definition of doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is Insanity. Surely Jeff Long isn't insane.

ronmahony

I played basketball in school but it really wasn't my bag. Small school so it was something to keep me busy between football and baseball. But I have always watched it and try to keep up. That defense against Vandy was the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I was joking on the game thread at the start of the game. I said if I am the coach I would keep Vandy from shooting threes and don't foul them. But really that is all you have to do. We would try to double up on the shooter, they would pass it, our guys would run to try to double up on the next guy, until they got to one open and he would make it! I mean, that was the whole game! Looks to me like man on man would have worked better. Am I wrong?
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: ronmahony on February 09, 2017, 07:35:27 pm
I played basketball in school but it really wasn't my bag. Small school so it was something to keep me busy between football and baseball. But I have always watched it and try to keep up. That defense against Vandy was the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I was joking on the game thread at the start of the game. I said if I am the coach I would keep Vandy from shooting threes and don't foul them. But really that is all you have to do. We would try to double up on the shooter, they would pass it, our guys would run to try to double up on the next guy, until they got to one open and he would make it! I mean, that was the whole game! Looks to me like man on man would have worked better. Am I wrong?

No you're not wrong.  I don't think MA has a very high basketball IQ. He doesn't really game plan for each team they play.  Every team is different. Teams change the way they do things during a season.  If the press and traps don't work MA is clueless.  You can't play Vandy the sameway you play Bama. You really can't even play Vandy the sameway you played them a week ago, but that is not how MA does things.  Other coaches know that and how to beat the Hogs.

elksnort

Quote from: ronmahony on February 09, 2017, 07:35:27 pm
But you can't get the CMA defenders to answer or discuss this, or Harley anyone for this matter.

hogman99

Don't miss the Oregon/UCLA game next. Two really fun teams to watch and Alonzo Ball and TJ Leaf are players.

LRHawg

We look like a junior high team compared to Duke and UNC.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogman99 on February 09, 2017, 07:46:53 pm
Don't miss the Oregon/UCLA game next. Two really fun teams to watch and Alonzo Ball and TJ Leaf are players.

They sure are fun to watch.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

WBOBO

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 09, 2017, 03:25:44 pm
MA always sounds mystified after playing a team that runs plays to set up outside shots. "They hit some shots..." No darn, Sherlock. They planned to do that. Everything they do is designed to do that. If you let them get their shots, they will make them. Arkansas let Vanderbilt AND Missouri take wide-open shots until they were full of confidence. Then Vandy and Mizzou made some shots that were pure balls. Same thing happened against Mississippi State.

Not a new thing. Remember Iowa State in Dec. 2004? Made some wide-open threes. We tried to extend and gave up 71% inside. Remember Ole Miss one month later? Same thing. They made over half of their threes. We extended, they went inside and shot 58%.

There's a certain formula that absolutely ruins MA's system. Take an opponent like Alabama that runs a ratty offense and has no outside shooting. We're good against that. We can let them shoot open shots and get away with it. Only kind of teams Arkansas can handle right now.
This
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Oklahawg

I hate it when the TV shows the UA bench when other teams make a run. Mike usually has a look of, "well darn they are on a run" while TJ Cleveland has a look of, "I hope coach doesn't want me to do anything as I have no clue."

Melvin Watkins is usually "damn, I used to have to fix this darn myself, but now I get to watch Mike do it" and Scotty has the look of "can't believe I signed on for this darn."

All seem comfortable to wait around for Mike to say something inspiring. Rarely happens but they at least know who is in charge.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

grayhawg

Heard today there's a long time big 12 coach who would come here if asked, of course you can hear lots of things.

Ramboar

Next thing you know....we got embarassed again but damn my suit is on point. Next question.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

WBOBO

I don't want a LONG time coach.  No pun intended.  I would like to see a Rick Pitino Jr.  and maybe see if he couldn't persuade Scotty Edgar to come on board as his top assistant coach.  Open up that Memphis pipeline.  Just a pipe dream.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

The Boar War

Quote from: grayhawg on February 09, 2017, 10:19:24 pm
Heard today there's a long time big 12 coach who would come here if asked, of course you can hear lots of things.

I wondered if Scott Drew would want to get out of the NCAA spotlight that's on Baylor.

moses_007

Quote from: grayhawg on February 09, 2017, 10:19:24 pm
You reckon Bill Self would come on down?

grayhawg

Quote from: The Boar War on February 09, 2017, 11:02:05 pm
I wondered if Scott Drew would want to get out of the NCAA spotlight that's on Baylor.
Maybe.

Inhogswetrust

I lived and worked in NC. NOBODY there even talks football after basketball season starts and even before most still talk basketball. Duke versus UNC in basketball in the ACC is like Bama versus old barn in football in the SEC. It is the #1 rivalry game.

Pork Twain

February 10, 2017, 05:54:06 am #43 Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 06:49:19 am by Pork Twain
When a coach has been in the game for almost 35 years, a HC for almost 15 years and almost 6 at the same program, still does not understand how teams can just take over a game against us, there is a much deeper issue.  I have been doing my job since 1994 and when I see something begin to go off course, I can quickly diagnose it and correct it.  He has 9 years on me... 

Seeing the chart below and expecting anything different than what we have gotten is insane.  Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  This is MA and his complete body of work is telling...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

1highhog

Quote from: lynbug on February 09, 2017, 03:13:11 pm

I feel the same way.  I don't think the plug will be pulled on this train wreck of a Coach this year and it's the players who suffer along with the fanbase who buy the merchandise and go to game or at least have tickets to go to the games but just have given up going because it's gotten so depressing watching this garbage.

1highhog

Where's FCJ when we really need someone to come to MA's defense in this post???

SultanofSwine

Quote from: 1highhog on February 10, 2017, 06:14:01 am
Where's FCJ when we really need someone to come to MA's defense in this post???

He is lost because Mike has no defense