Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No natter how bad it gets..

Started by WBOBO, February 08, 2017, 11:02:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WBOBO

For the most of everyone let's see if we get to the NCAA tourney before we go elsewhere.
Am I satisfied?  No.  It should be almost a given every year we go to the tournament.

I want little Ricky P. at Minnesota and he makes 400k less than Mikey.
He's young and yes he is a P, but he is also a winner and turning that program around.

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: WBOBO on February 08, 2017, 11:02:33 pm
For the most of everyone let's see if we get to the NCAA tourney before we go elsewhere.
Am I satisfied?  No.  It should be almost a given every year we go to the tournament.
Why should it be a given? It hasn't been a given since 95. I'm still trying to figure out what makes us so special? I'm disappointed also, hell I'm disappointed every time we wont make it when I think we have a team that's good enough to. But I'm just asking a serious question. Why should it be a given like we are still a top notch program? I hate to break the news to everyone but we're not and haven't been since 95. Do I think we can get back there? I know we can because we've been there before but we aren't there yet.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hobhog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 09, 2017, 07:28:10 am
Why should it be a given? It hasn't been a given since 95. I'm still trying to figure out what makes us so special? I'm disappointed also, hell I'm disappointed every time we wont make it when I think we have a team that's good enough to. But I'm just asking a serious question. Why should it be a given like we are still a top notch program? I hate to break the news to everyone but we're not and haven't been since 95. Do I think we can get back there? I know we can because we've been there before but we aren't there yet.

That's your whole problem. You have low expectations.

Hogs should be tournament team every year and I think will be again with right hire. Then maybe you will understand.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hobhog on February 09, 2017, 08:24:55 am
That's your whole problem. You have low expectations.

Hogs should be tournament team every year and I think will be again with right hire. Then maybe you will understand.
That's not my problem. I can think what I want and it doesn't affect the program. I have high expectations for everything I do. I'm just trying to figure out what made us so entitled? Like Arkansas just has to show up and things are gonna happen.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

code red

It should be a given because the SEC is a Garbage league.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

phadedhawg

Of course making the NCAA tourney should be achievable every year but until it is it's a bit foolhardy to expect it. 

One fan's standards only affect the fan who has those standards.  If everyone yelled in unison "we should be in the NCAA tourney" it would make no difference.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 09, 2017, 08:35:20 am
That's not my problem. I can think what I want and it doesn't affect the program. I have high expectations for everything I do. I'm just trying to figure out what made us so entitled? Like Arkansas just has to show up and things are gonna happen.

No, it's your problem in all these arguments with fans who have higher standards than none.
[CENSORED]!

WilsonHog

Which makes it incumbent upon us to find the coach who will get us there every year.

Just because this is the best Mike can do doesn't mean it is the best ANYONE can do at UA.

GuvHog

Quote from: WBOBO on February 08, 2017, 11:02:33 pm

I want little Ricky P. at Minnesota and he makes 400k less than Mikey.
He's young and yes he is a P, but he is also a winner and turning that program around.

I wouldn't have a problem with Richard Pitino as head coach. They should offer the guy 2.5 million a year and bring him in.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

realistichog

Youngsra needs to check his stats. The hogs went to the NCAA 8 times between 1988 and 2008 we went to ncaat 16 times in a 20 year period. You're either too young to remember or too lazy to look it up.

realistichog

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 09, 2017, 08:35:20 am

What made Arkansas fans expect yearly tournaments was Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson. 22 years out of the 28 that they were here they played in the NCAA tournament.  Now we have been to the tournament 4 times in the last 14 years. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hogwood

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 10, 2017, 09:23:26 pm
What made Arkansas fans expect yearly tournaments was Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson. 22 years out of the 28 that they were here they played in the NCAA tournament.  Now we have been to the tournament 4 times in the last 14 years.

Hey he doesn't know any better, he's a Youngsta.

But seriously though, anyone under 30 has very little idea about that tradition except that it was history. It's never been real for them, and expectations like those from older folks just seem out of touch and unrealistic.

I mean I consider myself lucky because I can remember the 90's (mostly just Hood, Reid, and Bradley days but I have glimpses of 94). I was pretty young but I was obsessed even then with the Hogs and lived in Fayetteville so I went to a lot of the games. But most guys my age didn't get super into following the team in their own until they were teenagers and the best years they can remember were some talented Heath teams and then the 14-15 season.

BigE_23

I'll give you three reasons really quick without a ton of thought:

1.) We produce tons of in-state talent. Not the case in football, but Arkansas produces enough talent to be competitive.

2.) Facilities, money, pride, legacy. I know that's 4 things, but they kinda all go together.

3.) We play in the SEC and it's a 68 team field. If we can't finish top 3-4 in this conference...

LZH

We aren't there yet because we have the wrong damn coach.

I just don't understand the excuse-making.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: GuvHog on February 10, 2017, 06:20:35 pm
I wouldn't have a problem with Richard Pitino as head coach. They should offer the guy 2.5 million a year and bring him in.
Can you imagine it would be Pitino against Callipari and how much that would heat up the Kentucky rivalry?  At least we would be setting our sights much higher then we are now.
I'm a big Mike Anderson guy but these last two games are inexcusable after six years. Knowing what was on the line and this is the performance the team delivers?

Sorry Mike but this has nothing to do with styles of play but the overall body of work over six years. I really beleive Nolan knows Mikes failing and that the University has given him 100% support. Now what would Nolan say would depend on how it's handled. I also beleive Mikes a good enough man and would avoid hurting the University in any way.
As far as the fans, they are just a byproduct of the success of the team.  The product on the court hasn't displayed any consistency over the years. As good as some games they've had you could easily find horrible losses that defy explanation.

It's time to make a move and begin the next era of hog b-ball.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

ZERO

I mean, really. 68 teams make the tournament every year. I realize there are a lot of teams vying, but the SEC is generally not that tough in basketball. Asking to make it past the first round every year may be kind of lofty, but being represented as one of 68 teams eight or nine out of ten years is not asking much in this conference.

If that doesn't sound reasonable to you, then surely making the tourney once in six years isn't acceptable. He's not only missed the NCAA tournament five out of six times, he's missed post-season play entirely three out six years. Come on, man. It's OK to think things should be a little better even if they're not going to be orgasmically good.

Edit: realized I typed 64 instead of 68, haha.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

jgphillips3

We all know that Arkansas doesn't produce enough D1 football talent.  However, we sure as Hell produce a ton of good D1 basketball talent.  There is no excuse for us not being in the top 68 teams at least seven out of every ten years.  We are a historical top 25 program and I can't see any reason we can't be top 50 regularly and thus a tournament team.

my3boneheads

We need players like Clint McDaniel to play defense.

TheEnemy

Because Youngsta, many of us remember watching Razorback Basketball when it wasn't about making the tourney.....it was about how far we would make it in the tourney.

Honestly....why even be a fan if you are going to to sell the program short as just mediocre.

I love the UofA...and I want and expect the program to work to regain its position.

RazorPiggie

WIth the Talent the state is starting to produce yearly there is no reason why we shouldn't land these kids and be in the tourney every year

HeathWimp

What is nind?  No natter.  What is natter?  Never nind.   

Sorry, couldn't resist.  I hate typing on these phones, so I can relate to the OP.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"