Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ROSTER

Started by Hog1281, February 08, 2017, 10:32:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog1281

Tough to win games/compete when your entire roster is made up of role players. No one on this team can take over a game. We have kids who should be playing 10-15 minutes a game, starting and playing 25-30 minutes.

Happens when you whiff on players like Allen, Monk, etc, but it is part of the business.

Do we have anyone coming in that can step up and takeover when needed?

Hog1281

Agreed on Barford. Still a little erratic at times and I love Hannahs, just feel like he can be a liability defensively, but very skilled offensively. We should've let Moses go pro, he is lost in the shuffle now that he is not the key man. We need a go to scorer, until then, life is going to be tough.

razoredge178

Quote from: Hog1281 on February 08, 2017, 10:46:14 am
Agreed on Barford. Still a little erratic at times and I love Hannahs, just feel like he can be a liability defensively, but very skilled offensively. We should've let Moses go pro, he is lost in the shuffle now that he is not the key man. We need a go to scorer, until then, life is going to be tough.

Validating the fundamental problem with trying to prop up a program with plug in JUCO's.

Biggus Piggus

A few players know how to pass it inside. We have nobody inside worth a damn to pass to. Nobody seems to know how to drive and kick out to a shooter. Or they refuse to do it.
[CENSORED]!

Hog1281

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 08, 2017, 11:03:48 am
A few players know how to pass it inside. We have nobody inside worth a damn to pass to. Nobody seems to know how to drive and kick out to a shooter. Or they refuse to do it.

THIS IS SPOT ON!

We get to the paint and instantly looked lost, like we have never been there. Feeding Moses last night early was the dumbest thing we could have been doing.

We have who we have, nothing is changing our roster, but we should have a game plan to accommodate who we have on the floor.

Youngsta71701

I think Barford could if we ran some clear outs and iso's. The lane always seem to be so clogged up when he tries to drive.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Southern Hogspitality

It is almost like there is no development or coaching... 

NWAHog479

This team definitely has enough to make the NCAA Tournament so please don't use talent as an excuse.

Letsroll1200

That's the problem we have nothing from the Post. You throw it down to Moses and its a turnover or a missed lay up.

majp51

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 08, 2017, 10:36:55 am
Barford has shown flashes of taking over, but doesn't do it consistently. Hannahs does a good job of getting to the line if his shots aren't falling. He needs more minutes. Kingsley is not very good. Worst pre-season SEC POTY I've ever seen. But no, nobody coming in that can take over. Hopefully Gafford can be a really good big.

Keep in mind that Gafford is very Raw. He has no post up game to speak of, or mid range game, and his awe inspiring Numbers in the paint kind of melted away in AAU. Don't get me wrong, I think he has a high ceiling, and the talent is certainly there but there is a reason he's not a 5 star, and as such expecting him to even bring in immediately the numbers that Kingsley is getting this year is unreasonable.

LRHawg

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 08, 2017, 10:36:55 am
Barford has shown flashes of taking over, but doesn't do it consistently. Hannahs does a good job of getting to the line if his shots aren't falling. He needs more minutes. Kingsley is not very good. Worst pre-season SEC POTY I've ever seen. But no, nobody coming in that can take over. Hopefully Gafford can be a really good big.

I think Barford is probably the closest. He has the fire, but I think needs a little help to get to the next level from his teammates. He does seem to feed off of big plays by others, I have noticed. When others are hitting perimeter shots, that frees him up to gash in and use his physicality to produce from the paint. VanDy did a great job of working together on defense to shut this down, however. Good coaching. Other teams will watch how Vandy played us on Defense and will emulate it.

Kingsley ... I just don't know what to make of him. I've seen a few flashes of brilliance from him inside, moves that if he could just make a few more times a game, would really open our offense up, but he has regressed I'm afraid. Holds the ball too long, doesn't see the outlet (if it's even there), draws the double and its over. His timidity to be physical inside is a little surprising. I really thought he would turn that corner between this year and last year. Maybe the SEC did too. We both were wrong.

Gafford's tape looks good, but we have no idea how long it will take him to get going. I'm not as familiar with Garland. Hopefully someone can fill me in on him.

The emotional leaders on the floor I see this year, are Barford, Hannahs, and Watkins. I really like Manny, for his heart he's displayed and for his increase in offensive production. Of those, only Barford will be playing next year. Can he step up and lead the team? Macon can be clutch but has drifted these last few games. I don't know what's going on with him but he seems to have really dropped off after the Bama game.

Tick Hog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 11:27:08 am
I think Barford could if we ran some clear outs and iso's. The lane always seem to be so clogged up when he tries to drive.
I agree, this is the guy that can consistently beat his man. This could be the focus of the entire offense when he's on the floor but he's going to have to learn that he can't score on every possession and play off of that.

Youngsta71701

With this roster the offense should be based more on spacing than motion because if nothing else we have some decent 3 point shooters and some decent penetrators and the defense should be more of a zone based defense with some corner trapping mixed in and a little man to man sprinkled in when need be. I don't mind the full court defense as long as it's zone based and not man based. We give up way too many open looks or layups anytime man to man anything is involved.

Moses is not a post up guy. He also needs space to operate because he is a face up guy who is pretty athletic and has a nice mid range shot.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"