Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Still Support Anderson

Started by Letsroll1200, February 07, 2017, 09:17:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RagingHawgOn

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 01:20:12 pm
And pure hate.

I've always been taught to not hate the sinner but hate the sin.

I have nothing - especially hate - against Mike. Seems like a good man who is a good role model to some of these young men.

Not enough to stay around in my humble opinion.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 08, 2017, 12:59:06 pm
You have some good points in the thread, but this one isn't true at all. If you ever heard him say this (Nolan did), it's just blowing smoke as much as wrestling the bear. They scout the other teams. They plan for what those teams are going to do and they know who the shooters are, tendencies and all that. Now, whether his players execute what they want them to do is another matter.

You don't have to believe me on it, but I know Matt Zimmerman will tell you flat out they scout the opponents, spend plenty of time on film.

What no one outside of the team and staff knows is how much practice time they spend preparing for what they expect, though, because practices are closed. They weren't closed through most of Eddie's and Nolan's time, when I was up there. Some people (coaches I know) claim they have seen an MA practice and all they did was run the whole practice, fast break drills, etc. I don't know if this team does that because most fast breaks they run seem disjointed unless the right one or two guys get the ball.

They have more talent than they had last year, and MA did a good job with that assemblage to just go  16-16, but I don't think they're that skilled. Vandy has more skilled basketball players and better shooters than Arkansas has. The only difference in the game at Vandy and the one last night is, Arkansas couldn't keep up at all during the first half onslaught, and Vandy didn't wilt in the last six minutes this time. This team was good enough to go into Florida and win. They may be 12-12, but they probably beat Arkansas 4 out of 5 times in a home-and-home series. Arkansas managed to get the one in Nashville, but that was nothing short of a miracle.

This team has no passer/leader to really run the offense. Guys who are off-guards are having to do it. They have no idea how to get the ball in to Kingsley, and when they do he often botches it. So, the offense is broken if they can't go one on one and create something, or get it around the horn enough to get Dusty open. I mean, they've had to have Manny Watkins discover how to shoot a 3 to improve somewhat on the offense.

They have trailed on the road by 12, 12, 28, 15, etc. etc. etc. in the past month.

It's again not the X's and O's as much as the Jimmy's and Joe's, because MA cannot build a team here. Whatever has hamstrung him from the beginning, he's only been able to mine jucos or get retreads from other programs who were not tearing it up at their other schools.

This is not some fluke. The have some skilled players, but hardly enough, and there is no great player on that roster at all. Maybe a guy like Barford starts at wherever he is, though he has some limitations in his game as much as anyone. Maybe, MAYBE a different coach gets more out of the roster on hand than Mike is getting, but I'm not so sure. Unless you have a great player out there, there is so much parity in the game now that it's going to be up-and-down.
+1, Sound like some good inside info to me. The confirmation I was wanting to hear.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on February 08, 2017, 01:23:30 pm
I've always been taught to not hate the sinner but hate the sin.

I have nothing - especially hate - against Mike. Seems like a good man who is a good role model to some of these young men.

Not enough to stay around in my humble opinion.
Exactly. Did you read your last statement? That's what some fail to understand. That everybody has their own opinion.

hobhog

Friend of mine was at game last night.- his family has had row 7 seats for years. He said it was the worst atmosphere he had ever seen and heard. Ever. And we go back to Barnhill days.

He took customers and was literally embarrassed. This cannot continue into next year. We just can't take the chance.

The_Iceman

There is no justification for supporting Mike Anderson except for blind loyalty or pure basketball ignorance. Anyone supporting Mike Anderson remaining as head coach is hoping to damage the future of our program. It's a shame.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 01:27:19 pm
Exactly. Did you read your last statement? That's what some fail to understand. That everybody has their own opinion.

Maybe I shouldn't be so "humble" because I am downright pissed, disillusioned and ready for MA to go. But, yet, it is definitely my opinion and we can all have one.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 08, 2017, 12:31:03 pm
Mike is the best basketball coach since Nolan. Just check his stats!!! You guys that want him fired are the only ones basing your opinion off pure emotion.

The "best basketball coach since Nolan" is damn faint praise.

At some point, it has to be acknowledged that Mike Anderson's "best" just is not good enough.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on February 08, 2017, 01:31:39 pm
Maybe I shouldn't be so "humble" because I am downright pissed, disillusioned and ready for MA to go. But, yet, it is definitely my opinion and we can all have one.
You made that clear but I'm just saying that's your own opinion. I'm pissed too but I try to remain in reality instead of dwelling in fantasy.

revolution

I've thought this over and I'd like to announce . . .

I still support Pamela Anderson, Loni Anderson, and Sparky Anderson.

However, I withdraw my support from Mike Anderson and Anderson Cooper.

Ambivalent about Gillian Anderson and Anderson Varejao.

So do I support Anderson?  I just don't know!

hoglady

You know - sometimes no matter how badly you want someone to succeed they fail.
The thought of firing Mike Anderson is sickening.
But it's probably about time to suck it up and face reality.
One coach isn't more important than the program.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

latrops

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 08, 2017, 12:59:06 pm
You have some good points in the thread, but this one isn't true at all. If you ever heard him say this (Nolan did), it's just blowing smoke as much as wrestling the bear. They scout the other teams. They plan for what those teams are going to do and they know who the shooters are, tendencies and all that. Now, whether his players execute what they want them to do is another matter.

You don't have to believe me on it, but I know Matt Zimmerman will tell you flat out they scout the opponents, spend plenty of time on film.

I'm not sure whether that makes me feel better or worse.  On the one hand, it would be disappointing and embarassing for a major P5 coach to bypass such an important part of preparing for opponents.  However, it does seem that we play "our game" regardless of opponent.  One of the big complaints most of us have about CMA's coaching is how predictable we are.  It certainly doesn't appear that we make adjustments from game to game in order to combat opponent's strengths and/or take advantage of weaknesses.  If we are changing things up, the execution is pretty poor.

HogBreath

Quote from: latrops on February 08, 2017, 08:30:53 pm
I'm not sure whether that makes me feel better or worse.  On the one hand, it would be disappointing and embarassing for a major P5 coach to bypass such an important part of preparing for opponents.  However, it does seem that we play "our game" regardless of opponent.  One of the big complaints most of us have about CMA's coaching is how predictable we are.  It certainly doesn't appear that we make adjustments from game to game in order to combat opponent's strengths and/or take advantage of weaknesses.  If we are changing things up, the execution is pretty poor.
I heard that on a out of state radio show last year before the SEC tourney, they were talking about Arkansas, believe it was two former coaches talking, and I may be wrong about that, BUT...they said...Mike's teams were very predictable and easy to gameplan against.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

elksnort

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 02:05:31 pm
You made that clear but I'm just saying that's your own opinion. I'm pissed too but I try to remain in reality instead of dwelling in fantasy.
the fantasy is thinking that this particular coach is going to take us anywhere

rude1

Quote from: HogBreath on February 08, 2017, 08:40:09 pm
I heard that on a out of state radio show last year before the SEC tourney, they were talking about Arkansas, believe it was two former coaches talking, and I may be wrong about that, BUT...they said...Mike's teams were very predictable and easy to gameplan against.
You made that up, sorry but even if a coach thought it, they wouldn't go on air and say it publicly. Howland cringed when one of his players told how he told them about our weakness at boxing out and there would be opportunities for offensive rebounds. Coaching is a fraternity and it won't be often you hear one coach being negative about another.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: elksnort on February 08, 2017, 10:30:06 pm
the fantasy is thinking that this particular coach is going to take us anywhere
The fantasy is thinking that a new coach is going to automatically come in here and conquer the college basketball world. What coach will be a better fit for this program than MA?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 09, 2017, 07:37:13 am
The fantasy is thinking that a new coach is going to automatically come in here and conquer the college basketball world. What coach will be a better fit for this program than MA?

Good morning, Quixote.
[CENSORED]!

elksnort

Not asking to conquer anything, but not lose to Vandy and Mizzou. Not keep trapping when, not only it doesnt work, but actually hurts the team.

Inhogswetrust

February 09, 2017, 06:49:17 pm #219 Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:35:17 am by Inhogswetrust

There is nobody automatically thinking that. But there is also no reason to fear the unknown of a change because the real fantasy is thinking Mike will take us back to relevance.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi